Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:06 pm +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: I want to believe
PostPosted:  

Hello everyone.
I am fascinated by TUB, I already read it for a couple months, but for some reason there is that small feeling of doubt.
Can experienced Urantia readers clear this doubt for me?
There is much that I still don't know, but I honestly begin to believe in it.

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject: Re: I want to believe
PostPosted:  

Hello OceanBlue and welcome!

I am so glad to read your post about beginning your journey with the Urantia Book. Of course, no one here can clear up your doubts for you; but I can assure you that if you take a leap of faith and continue plowing through the book, your doubts will clear.

This is not a book that one can read a few chapters of and immediately have full assurance of its value. One must put in much time and effort to read it all, and then you will know the priceless nature of its message for you, and for everyone.

Please feel free to come here and ask questions and share your journey. We’ve all been where you are and, honestly, I am so happy for you for what you are about to experience. Treasure this early phase of your study - even your doubts. For all will become clear for you ... in time.

Edited to add: I am on my 4th time reading the Urantia Book cover to cover. I learn new things with every paragraph, in every iteration of reading the entire book. It really is a unique book that will speak to you at your readiness to receive the material.

PostPosted:  

Agon D. Onter wrote:
Hello OceanBlue and welcome!

I am so glad to read your post about beginning your journey with the Urantia Book. Of course, no one here can clear up your doubts for you; but I can assure you that if you take a leap of faith and continue plowing through the book, your doubts will clear.

This is not a book that one can read a few chapters of and immediately have full assurance of its value. One must put in much time and effort to read it all, and then you will know the priceless nature of its message for you, and for everyone.

Please feel free to come here and ask questions and share your journey. We’ve all been where you are and, honestly, I am so happy for you for what you are about to experience. Treasure this early phase of your study - even your doubts. For all will become clear for you ... in time.

Edited to add: I am on my 4th time reading the Urantia Book cover to cover. I learn new things with every paragraph, in every iteration of reading the entire book. It really is a unique book that will speak to you at your readiness to receive the material.

Thank you very much for your kind words and I'm glad to be part of this journey together with all of you.

PostPosted:  

OceanBlue wrote:
Hello everyone.
I am fascinated by TUB, I already read it for a couple months, but for some reason there is that small feeling of doubt.
Can experienced Urantia readers clear this doubt for me?
There is much that I still don't know, but I honestly begin to believe in it.

Like that name, OceanBlue! Congrats on finding our new revelation. Agon gave a good answer. And praying on it could give you additional direction. But if you can convince yourself to suspend judgement until you've read the whole book, that might serve you best. The whole is greater than the sum of the parts.

PostPosted:  

Rick used the phrase, "suspend judgment" and I think that is key. When I first picked up the book, I thought to myself, "This book is a very strange book. It may be a crock. OR, it may be the most unique, life-enriching book I've ever seen," and so, trusting that it would be the latter (because, really, why not?), I deliberately forced my mind to be as OPEN as it possibly could. I'd read a bit and I'd think, that's so weird! I'm freaking out! But then I'd say to myself, just keep going. Be open. Trust in the process and give it time.

PostPosted:  

Doubts, insight, discernment, confusion, prejudices, revelation, fact, falsehood, sincerity, delusion, and self deception...all elements for the earnest student and seeker to manage in our quest for truth. By our spiritual progress we discover new meanings in prior knowledge which delivers more perspective and new angles of perception.

One truth the Papers teach is that knowledge of reality helps develop perspective and purpose and delivers a progressive philosophy for living...and growing. Another is that faith and soul growth are not dependent on the accuracy of our beliefs or the amount of our knowledge.

There is only one true religion...it is the one we live. It is a faith experience and personal connection to Spirit within. Do not doubt God or God's love for his children or the friendly universe or the family of creation. Just do not doubt that. Embrace your own Spirit nature and follow that guide forward into the adventures of uncertainty and your eternal destiny.

Truth and knowledge of reality are always partial and incomplete and remain subjective in this life...and therefore largely inaccurate. Wisdom is gained only by time and experiential progress. Do not worry. Be not anxious. Have confidence and trust in God amidst all uncertainties in life.

And if we do so...then all will be well.

Or so I understand the teachings and have come to believe.

Welcome OceanBlue. Enjoy...and fear not. :wink:

100:4.1 (1097.5) Religious living is devoted living, and devoted living is creative living, original and spontaneous. New religious insights arise out of conflicts which initiate the choosing of new and better reaction habits in the place of older and inferior reaction patterns. New meanings only emerge amid conflict; and conflict persists only in the face of refusal to espouse the higher values connoted in superior meanings.

100:4.2 (1097.6) Religious perplexities are inevitable; there can be no growth without psychic conflict and spiritual agitation. The organization of a philosophic standard of living entails considerable commotion in the philosophic realms of the mind. Loyalties are not exercised in behalf of the great, the good, the true, and the noble without a struggle. Effort is attendant upon clarification of spiritual vision and enhancement of cosmic insight. And the human intellect protests against being weaned from subsisting upon the nonspiritual energies of temporal existence. The slothful animal mind rebels at the effort required to wrestle with cosmic problem solving.

100:4.3 (1097.7) But the great problem of religious living consists in the task of unifying the soul powers of the personality by the dominance of love. Health, mental efficiency, and happiness arise from the unification of physical systems, mind systems, and spirit systems. Of health and sanity man understands much, but of happiness he has truly realized very little. The highest happiness is indissolubly linked with spiritual progress. Spiritual growth yields lasting joy, peace which passes all understanding.

100:4.4 (1098.1) In physical life the senses tell of the existence of things; mind discovers the reality of meanings; but the spiritual experience reveals to the individual the true values of life. These high levels of human living are attained in the supreme love of God and in the unselfish love of man. If you love your fellow men, you must have discovered their values. Jesus loved men so much because he placed such a high value upon them. You can best discover values in your associates by discovering their motivation. If someone irritates you, causes feelings of resentment, you should sympathetically seek to discern his viewpoint, his reasons for such objectionable conduct. If once you understand your neighbor, you will become tolerant, and this tolerance will grow into friendship and ripen into love.

PostPosted:  

(1114.5) 101:8.1 Belief has attained the level of faith when it motivates life and shapes the mode of living. The acceptance of a teaching as true is not faith; that is mere belief. Neither is certainty nor conviction faith. A state of mind attains to faith levels only when it actually dominates the mode of living. Faith is a living attribute of genuine personal religious experience. One believes truth, admires beauty, and reverences goodness, but does not worship them; such an attitude of saving faith is centered on God alone, who is all of these personified and infinitely more.

(1114.6) 101:8.2 Belief is always limiting and binding; faith is expanding and releasing. Belief fixates, faith liberates. But living religious faith is more than the association of noble beliefs; it is more than an exalted system of philosophy; it is a living experience concerned with spiritual meanings, divine ideals, and supreme values; it is God-knowing and man-serving. Beliefs may become group possessions, but faith must be personal. Theologic beliefs can be suggested to a group, but faith can rise up only in the heart of the individual religionist.

102:6.3 (1124.5) The religionist of philosophic attainment has faith in a personal God of personal salvation, something more than a reality, a value, a level of achievement, an exalted process, a transmutation, the ultimate of time-space, an idealization, the personalization of energy, the entity of gravity, a human projection, the idealization of self, nature’s upthrust, the inclination to goodness, the forward impulse of evolution, or a sublime hypothesis. The religionist has faith in a God of love. Love is the essence of religion and the wellspring of superior civilization.

102:6.4 (1124.6) Faith transforms the philosophic God of probability into the saving God of certainty in the personal religious experience. Skepticism may challenge the theories of theology, but confidence in the dependability of personal experience affirms the truth of that belief which has grown into faith.

102:6.5 (1124.7) Convictions about God may be arrived at through wise reasoning, but the individual becomes God-knowing only by faith, through personal experience. In much that pertains to life, probability must be reckoned with, but when contacting with cosmic reality, certainty may be experienced when such meanings and values are approached by living faith. The God-knowing soul dares to say, “I know,” even when this knowledge of God is questioned by the unbeliever who denies such certitude because it is not wholly supported by intellectual logic. To every such doubter the believer only replies, “How do you know that I do not know?”

102:6.6 (1125.1) Though reason can always question faith, faith can always supplement both reason and logic. Reason creates the probability which faith can transform into a moral certainty, even a spiritual experience. God is the first truth and the last fact; therefore does all truth take origin in him, while all facts exist relative to him. God is absolute truth. As truth one may know God, but to understand—to explain—God, one must explore the fact of the universe of universes. The vast gulf between the experience of the truth of God and ignorance as to the fact of God can be bridged only by living faith. Reason alone cannot achieve harmony between infinite truth and universal fact.

102:6.7 (1125.2) Belief may not be able to resist doubt and withstand fear, but faith is always triumphant over doubting, for faith is both positive and living. The positive always has the advantage over the negative, truth over error, experience over theory, spiritual realities over the isolated facts of time and space. The convincing evidence of this spiritual certainty consists in the social fruits of the spirit which such believers, faithers, yield as a result of this genuine spiritual experience. Said Jesus: “If you love your fellows as I have loved you, then shall all men know that you are my disciples."

8)

Regarding every new reader's normal doubts and legitimate confusions while exploring the Papers the first (several) time(s), I think all seasoned readers can agree on the following responses and findings while reading:

1. Sometimes, prior beliefs are confirmed for us...there is an affirmation of our existing personal perspective and philosophy and understanding of universe reality.

2. Sometimes, new information makes perfect sense and, while new to us, conforms and fits into our larger perspective and philosophy and helps explain and clarify such prior thinking.

3. Sometimes, new information and angle of view become truly AH HA moments of insight and revelation and clarity, which expands our thinking and adds dimension and illuminates the mind in profound ways to improve our understanding.

4. Sometimes, new information seems dense and difficult and perplexing and confusing and we may not understand it at all and doesn't really add anything to our experience at the time.

5. Sometimes, our prior beliefs are challenged and in conflict with or directly contradicted by the teachings.

Sincere and seasoned truth seekers do not allow #4 or #5 to prevent or overwhelm #'s 1,2, & 3!!!! Truth is where you find it. When the student is ready, the teacher appears! Seek...and you will find!

Some other shared experiences common to experienced readers of the Urantia Book:

A. The authors seem to create questions in our mind and to anticipate them as well and also show a tendency to answer such questions in the text....soon.

B. There is a meter or rhythm within the text which when found and utilized seems to hasten the reading and the finding therein.

C. Each reading of the text delivers new context which expands perspective and understanding and sharpens our focus while enlarging the view...reality seems to get bigger and deeper and more unified and harmonious in our mind.

D. The totality of the book's contents begins to form only over time and multiple readings as the parts become unified into a whole, where threads become a tapestry of pattern and dimension and the instruments within the orchestra blend into a harmonious symphony that is far more than the parts played by the instruments within the orchestra.

E. Personal prejudice (the love and loyalty we have of our existing beliefs) lessens in its grip and importance and becomes less of an obstacle to truth (which it always is!).

F. Anxiety and fear about our destiny and reality itself shrink and fade into irrelevancy and become replaced with a growing trust and certainty and peace as we open our minds to the Spirit within and experience the Divine Assurance of Faith and Truth.

The fact is, according to the UB and my own experience, that no one can convince anyone of anything. The truth must be discovered for oneself and embrace by oneself. Truth affirmations and assurance come from within and not from other mortals.

Best wishes in your quest of discovery and adventure!!

:idea: :biggrin:

PostPosted:  

Truth can be discovered and discerned or revealed by the Spirit within...but it can never be given or loaned or taken or received by one mortal from another or from one mortal to another. Mortal minds cannot contain absolute or total truth...always is truth partial and incomplete to the mortal mind and all truth requires personal discovery and discernment and application to have any meaning or any value to the person. Or so I understand.

Jesus taught:

132:3.2 (1459.2) Truth cannot be defined with words, only by living. Truth is always more than knowledge. Knowledge pertains to things observed, but truth transcends such purely material levels in that it consorts with wisdom and embraces such imponderables as human experience, even spiritual and living realities. Knowledge originates in science; wisdom, in true philosophy; truth, in the religious experience of spiritual living. Knowledge deals with facts; wisdom, with relationships; truth, with reality values.

132:3.3 (1459.3) Man tends to crystallize science, formulate philosophy, and dogmatize truth because he is mentally lazy in adjusting to the progressive struggles of living, while he is also terribly afraid of the unknown. Natural man is slow to initiate changes in his habits of thinking and in his techniques of living.

132:3.4 (1459.4) Revealed truth, personally discovered truth, is the supreme delight of the human soul; it is the joint creation of the material mind and the indwelling spirit. The eternal salvation of this truth-discerning and beauty-loving soul is assured by that hunger and thirst for goodness which leads this mortal to develop a singleness of purpose to do the Father’s will, to find God and to become like him. There is never conflict between true knowledge and truth. There may be conflict between knowledge and human beliefs, beliefs colored with prejudice, distorted by fear, and dominated by the dread of facing new facts of material discovery or spiritual progress.

132:3.5 (1459.5) But truth can never become man’s possession without the exercise of faith. This is true because man’s thoughts, wisdom, ethics, and ideals will never rise higher than his faith, his sublime hope. And all such true faith is predicated on profound reflection, sincere self-criticism, and uncompromising moral consciousness. Faith is the inspiration of the spiritized creative imagination.

132:3.6 (1459.6) Faith acts to release the superhuman activities of the divine spark, the immortal germ, that lives within the mind of man, and which is the potential of eternal survival. Plants and animals survive in time by the technique of passing on from one generation to another identical particles of themselves. The human soul (personality) of man survives mortal death by identity association with this indwelling spark of divinity, which is immortal, and which functions to perpetuate the human personality upon a continuing and higher level of progressive universe existence. The concealed seed of the human soul is an immortal spirit. The second generation of the soul is the first of a succession of personality manifestations of spiritual and progressing existences, terminating only when this divine entity attains the source of its existence, the personal source of all existence, God, the Universal Father.

:!: :idea: :wink:

PostPosted:  

I thank everyone for all the interesting and tactful replies. I feel that my journey has already begun, I think that I can finally take this first step to a new beginning.