Switch to full style
An open forum for general discussions of a spiritual nature where guests and readers entertain the teachings of The Urantia Book.
Post a reply

Finished Part 4. Final Thoughts

Tue May 12, 2020 7:09 am +0000

I finished Part 4 of the Urantia Book about 2 weeks ago. It took me 1 year, 3 months and 13 days to finish reading the longest book I have ever read for the first time.

Anyway, part 4 was I must say a very enjoyable and inspirational read. It reads like something between a novel and a newspaper article (sometimes the narrative is in detail of the moment while at other times it summarizes events) and it gave "spoilers" of the upcoming crucifixion. The part which had me think this narrative was not written by celestial entities was the gratuitous meeting of Jesus with Emperor Tiberias. To me that seemed like an unnecessary inclusion to just elevate Jesus even further up. Also, I was impressed that even in part 4 there was still some science in the text; the part explaining how storms are formed over the sea of Galilee.

What I will say is that the narrative sets the best example I have found of how to live a full, worthwhile and productive life. I certainly cannot imitate EVERYTHING Jesus did, but I can strive to by reading his example in the UB. I agree with another person in this forum of how Part 4 focuses on the individual but it changes the world.

I noticed that Jesus spoke very plainly about his gospel but due to his apostles inability to comprehend everything, the religion of Christianity was born where the religion is 'about Jesus' instead of 'from Jesus'. That led me to think: will there be plain truths we will not comprehend reading the UB which only a future revelation can reveal? Will there be teachings in the UB that are misunderstood and as a result will be misapplied just like in Jesus' day? I guess time will tell. If we as UB readers fully comprehend the book, my understanding is that we are to spread these teachings by applying them in our lives and then SOME additional truth will be accepted in the mainstream. But does that mean we as UB readers are more thought adjuster aware compared to others?

Now that I have finished reading the UB, what is my conclusion? Well I do not believe the book to be 100% true even though a lot of it is. The book is well written and confirms a lot of what I already knew. Here is my PERSONAL belief: the human authors were very intelligent individuals and being more connected to their thought adjusters, they managed to reveal SOME inspired truths and then connected the dots with some of their own knowledge and beliefs.

It is my second favorite book and I now have the assurance that spirituality is a personal experience and I'm made not to feel guilty for questioning Christian orthodoxy.

Re: Finished Part 4. Final Thoughts

Tue May 12, 2020 8:01 am +0000

William S. wrote:I finished Part 4 of the Urantia Book about 2 weeks ago. It took me 1 year, 3 months and 13 days to finish reading the longest book I have ever read for the first time.

Anyway, part 4 was I must say a very enjoyable and inspirational read. It reads like something between a novel and a newspaper article (sometimes the narrative is in detail of the moment while at other times it summarizes events) and it gave "spoilers" of the upcoming crucifixion. The part which had me think this narrative was not written by celestial entities was the gratuitous meeting of Jesus with Emperor Tiberias. To me that seemed like an unnecessary inclusion to just elevate Jesus even further up. Also, I was impressed that even in part 4 there was still some science in the text; the part explaining how storms are formed over the sea of Galilee.

What I will say is that the narrative sets the best example I have found of how to live a full, worthwhile and productive life. I certainly cannot imitate EVERYTHING Jesus did, but I can strive to by reading his example in the UB. I agree with another person in this forum of how Part 4 focuses on the individual but it changes the world.

I noticed that Jesus spoke very plainly about his gospel but due to his apostles inability to comprehend everything, the religion of Christianity was born where the religion is 'about Jesus' instead of 'from Jesus'. That led me to think: will there be plain truths we will not comprehend reading the UB which only a future revelation can reveal? Will there be teachings in the UB that are misunderstood and as a result will be misapplied just like in Jesus' day? I guess time will tell. If we as UB readers fully comprehend the book, my understanding is that we are to spread these teachings by applying them in our lives and then SOME additional truth will be accepted in the mainstream. But does that mean we as UB readers are more thought adjuster aware compared to others?

Now that I have finished reading the UB, what is my conclusion? Well I do not believe the book to be 100% true even though a lot of it is. The book is well written and confirms a lot of what I already knew. Here is my PERSONAL belief: the human authors were very intelligent individuals and being more connected to their thought adjusters, they managed to reveal SOME inspired truths and then connected the dots with some of their own knowledge and beliefs.

It is my second favorite book and I now have the assurance that spirituality is a personal experience and I'm made not to feel guilty for questioning Christian orthodoxy.

Congratulations William!!

Best wishes in your spiritualization adventures!! Thanks for sharing your discovery of the Papers here with our community. I predict another read of the UB will result in ever more insights and philosophical adjustments as the whole of the text begins to take and deliver a more textured and harmonious perspective of universe realities and the evolutionary transformations as they are presented by the authors (whoever they may be)!

I believe the visit with the Emperor might be better appreciated by considering that the visit was really that of a visiting dignitary and person of wealth and position from the far away lands of India, beyond the Roman Empire's borders. The presence of the tutor was quite incidental and nothing happened of any historical significance related to this visit. I find the details that trouble you most interesting. You once said that the very trip to Rome (and beyond) was not credible or believable either. Hmmmm…..

Regardless....further study and reading will deliver additional appreciation and insight....I am sure.

Glad you are here on the Glory Trail sharing your story and discovery adventure! Namaste.

Bradly 8)

14:5.10 (159.6) Love of adventure, curiosity, and dread of monotony—these traits inherent in evolving human nature—were not put there just to aggravate and annoy you during your short sojourn on earth, but rather to suggest to you that death is only the beginning of an endless career of adventure, an everlasting life of anticipation, an eternal voyage of discovery.

32:5.7 (365.3) There is in the mind of God a plan which embraces every creature of all his vast domains, and this plan is an eternal purpose of boundless opportunity, unlimited progress, and endless life. And the infinite treasures of such a matchless career are yours for the striving!

32:5.8 (365.4) The goal of eternity is ahead! The adventure of divinity attainment lies before you! The race for perfection is on! whosoever will may enter, and certain victory will crown the efforts of every human being who will run the race of faith and trust, depending every step of the way on the leading of the indwelling Adjuster and on the guidance of that good spirit of the Universe Son, which so freely has been poured out upon all flesh.

111:7.1 (1223.3) Uncertainty with security is the essence of the Paradise adventure—uncertainty in time and in mind, uncertainty as to the events of the unfolding Paradise ascent; security in spirit and in eternity, security in the unqualified trust of the creature son in the divine compassion and infinite love of the Universal Father; uncertainty as an inexperienced citizen of the universe; security as an ascending son in the universe mansions of an all-powerful, all-wise, and all-loving Father.

112:7.18 (1239.7) What an adventure! What a romance! A gigantic creation to be administered by the children of the Supreme, these personalized and humanized Adjusters, these Adjusterized and eternalized mortals, these mysterious combinations and eternal associations of the highest known manifestation of the essence of the First Source and Center and the lowest form of intelligent life capable of comprehending and attaining the Universal Father. We conceive that such amalgamated beings, such partnerships of Creator and creature, will become superb rulers, matchless administrators, and understanding and sympathetic directors of any and all forms of intelligent life which may come into existence throughout these future universes of the first outer space level.

112:7.19 (1240.1) True it is, you mortals are of earthly, animal origin; your frame is indeed dust. But if you actually will, if you really desire, surely the heritage of the ages is yours, and you shall someday serve throughout the universes in your true characters—children of the Supreme God of experience and divine sons of the Paradise Father of all personalities.

The Papers have been a source of comfort, insight, inspiration, and motivation for most of my life. I hope its teachings become such a lantern upon the Pilgrim's Path for all who find this collection of knowledge and truth. Best wishes William.

:wink:

Tue May 12, 2020 8:21 am +0000

William,
Congratulations and thanks for sharing your thoughts and reactions to the book. I am genuinely curious what your thoughts are with regard to the motivation and ability of the individuals who wrote the book. These very intelligent individuals, if they are anything like the intelligent individuals I am familiar with, would have a lot going on in their lives, both personally and professionally. How did they manage to devote 2 decades or more authoring this amazingly internally consistent tome, without financial remuneration and while simultaneously managing their busy vocational and familial responsibilities? Did they write the UB late at night, while fulfilling their other responsibilities during the day? Did they take 2 decades 'off' from their other responsibilities?

I'm also curious as to how a group of very intelligent individuals managed to work together in agreement and harmony, for decades, to produce a single publication that has scientific expertise and novel theories in many diverse fields of study, and yet none (not a single person!) desired their name to be associated with their decades of work? They did all that work and then just walked away, without fame or financial reward? Was their motivation purely altruistic, then? How many people were involved, do you think? How did they all manage to keep it secret all these years?

Boggles the mind!

Tue May 12, 2020 9:57 am +0000

I agree. When determining motive or source, one should always determine who benefits and how they benefit. Such discernment helps us understand why something exists or its purpose as well as its integrity, viability, and sincerity.

In this case, the Forum is a well documented collection of many different people over long time frames who wrote extensively about the experience of receiving the text. Not one of those persons claims to be the author. None has requested or received ANY monetary compensation nor ANY publicity or professional recognition or award.

If the authors are human, then we must consider a very humble and unique source. Then we must consider the depth and breadth of actual historical and scientific knowledge. Then we must consider the skill of creating a fictional account of the universe of universes in such scale, scope, detail, and integration of relationship and function that is extraordinary to consider.

In my experience...both in my own reading and by conversation with many, many other readers....it is nearly inevitable that sufficient time in study and reading the text eventually leads to the conclusion that, as fantastic and improbable as it may be, the authors' claims of origin and delivery and authority are more probable than is human authorship, whether singular or group in nature.

But certainly it also took me multiple times through the Papers to come to such an "irrational" conclusion....hahaha! I don't even know how it happened or when. It wasn't a decision or Ah Ha moment. Just one day reading along I realized I believe this crazy book is exactly what it claims to be!! And just as suddenly...it really didn't matter. The benefits of reading were already realized prior to determining my confidence in its authority.

Certainly only a lunatic would believe such claims simply because they read those claims the first (or third) time!!

But it is interesting to discover that not one human being has ever made a profit or an income or acquired fame or a following of devotees by their association with this book....at least not in its first century of existence. Indeed, so many have devoted so much energy and cash and expertise into its dissemination without any material reward of any kind. Such a valid fact to point out.

Thanks Agon D. Onter!! :wink: :!: :idea: 8) :biggrin:
Post a reply