Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:20 pm +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: Spiritual Pride
PostPosted:  

gizmo wrote:
Isn't there an adage - the degree of truth in an argument is in inverse proportion to its defense?

Yes, here it is:

(557.14) 48:7.30 28. The argumentative defense of any proposition is inversely proportional to the truth contained.

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted:  

Hey guys and gals, consider this.

The remedy for spiritual pride, real or imagined, is service. It turns the mind from self to other. Sloth is one of the sins akin to pride, and no better way to purge them both than volunteering for a worthwhile cause; or joining a non-profit doing good work in the community.

Service without monetary compensation – not the easiest thing to do for most of us. It's going against the grain, and a commitment easy to make and often rapidly forgotten or regretted. Yet, when I make the effort, new people and challenges, new learning and experiences, enrich me.

G. Gurdjieff talked about spiritual growth we can make ourselves, giving aid to the celestial beings struggling for our souls. He called it “Conscious Labor and Intentional Suffering”, a concept some of you might want to investigate.

Peace! And thanks, Agon, for your forgiveness.

PostPosted:  

Service is a remedy for a good many things and a positive path forward in every circumstance and situation. I was studying The Fourth Way and Zen and its older cousin Taoism when the UB found me long ago.

I also agree that the spiritual pride exhibited here and by the Apostles is simply immaturity and not unusual or soul killing as has been claimed by another here. Humility comes by experience and the challenges of disappointment and failures over time...and all such pride is also easily cured by true service to others.

One here has proclaimed to us that we are mere slaves and have no freewill which defies the teachings of the UB regarding our dual nature, our higher self, self mastery, and experiential wisdom.

There are many paths or WAYs to grow in the Spirit from the pages of time and human experience. The Jesusonian Gospel is the greatest of them all I think. The Tadpole Way is a modern restatement of the Master's Way...one of trusting faith and the abiding joy of the mortal children of God.

Wiki on The Fourth Way:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fourth_Way

143:2.3 (1609.4) “Verily, verily, I say to you, he who rules his own self is greater than he who captures a city. Self-mastery is the measure of man’s moral nature and the indicator of his spiritual development.

28:6.13 (315.6) 4. The Solemnity of Trust.Trust is the crucial test of will creatures. Trustworthiness is the true measure of self-mastery, character. These seconaphim accomplish a double purpose in the economy of the superuniverses: They portray to all will creatures the sense of the obligation, sacredness, and solemnity of trust. At the same time they unerringly reflect to the governing authorities the exact trustworthiness of any candidate for confidence or trust.

28:6.14 (316.1) On Urantia, you grotesquely essay to read character and to estimate specific abilities, but on Uversa we actually do these things in perfection. These seconaphim weigh trustworthiness in the living scales of unerring character appraisal, and when they have looked at you, we have only to look at them to know the limitations of your ability to discharge responsibility, execute trust, and fulfill missions. Your assets of trustworthiness are clearly set forth alongside your liabilities of possible default or betrayal.

28:6.15 (316.2) It is the plan of your superiors to advance you by augmented trusts just as fast as your character is sufficiently developed to gracefully bear these added responsibilities, but to overload the individual only courts disaster and insures disappointment. And the mistake of placing responsibility prematurely upon either man or angel may be avoided by utilizing the ministry of these infallible estimators of the trust capacity of the individuals of time and space. These seconaphim ever accompany Those High in Authority, and never do these executives make assignments until their candidates have been weighed in the secoraphic balances and pronounced “not wanting.”

28:6.16 (316.3) 5. The Sanctity of Service.The privilege of service immediately follows the discovery of trustworthiness. Nothing can stand between you and opportunity for increased service except your own untrustworthiness, your lack of capacity for appreciation of the solemnity of trust.

28:6.17 (316.4) Service—purposeful service, not slavery—is productive of the highest satisfaction and is expressive of the divinest dignity. Service—more service, increased service, difficult service, adventurous service, and at last divine and perfect service—is the goal of time and the destination of space. But ever will the play cycles of time alternate with the service cycles of progress. And after the service of time there follows the superservice of eternity. During the play of time you should envision the work of eternity, even as you will, during the service of eternity, reminisce the play of time.

28:6.18 (316.5) The universal economy is based on intake and output; throughout the eternal career you will never encounter monotony of inaction or stagnation of personality. Progress is made possible by inherent motion, advancement grows out of the divine capacity for action, and achievement is the child of imaginative adventure. But inherent in this capacity for achievement is the responsibility of ethics, the necessity for recognizing that the world and the universe are filled with a multitude of differing types of beings. All of this magnificent creation, including yourself, was not made just for you. This is not an egocentric universe. The Gods have decreed, “It is more blessed to give than to receive,” and said your Master Son, “He who would be greatest among you let him be server of all.”

28:6.19 (316.6) The real nature of any service, be it rendered by man or angel, is fully revealed in the faces of these secoraphic service indicators, the Sanctities of Service. The full analysis of the true and of the hidden motives is clearly shown. These angels are indeed the mind readers, heart searchers, and soul revealers of the universe. Mortals may employ words to conceal their thoughts, but these high seconaphim lay bare the deep motives of the human heart and of the angelic mind.

Last edited by fanofVan on Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:10 pm +0000, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted:  

gizmo wrote:
G. Gurdjieff talked about spiritual growth we can make ourselves, giving aid to the celestial beings struggling for our souls.

Are you saying that service is a way to supply favorable conditions for growth?

(1097.4) 100:3.7 Man cannot cause growth, but he can supply favorable conditions. Growth is always unconscious, be it physical, intellectual, or spiritual.

There's also loyalty to supreme ideals, the spirit of true religion.

(1094.6) 100:1.4 Loyal persons are growing persons, and growth is an impressive and inspiring reality. Live loyally today — grow — and tomorrow will attend to itself.

Which leads to what Jesus taught about both loyalty and service. Service the the effect; the possession of true religion is the cause.

(1769:10) 159:5.8 Jesus' religion consisted not merely in believing, but in actually doing, those things which the gospel required. He did not teach that the essence of his religion consisted in social service, but rather that social service was one of the certain effects of the possession of the spirit of true religion.

PostPosted:  

Quote:
Growth is always unconscious, be it physical, intellectual, or spiritual.

I'm grappling with this quote. Looking back on my life, I acknowledge how much I have learned and experienced, and I believe this is personal growth. And, over time, I believe I see others grow. But this is just my opinion. What I think this quote is teaching me is that real growth has nothing to do with my opinion.

PostPosted:  

It means we are unaware of it as it occurs. We certainly are aware of its results. We are unaware of the growth of bones but we realize those results when we need longer pants!

Spiritual growth delivers fruits of the Spirit as its proof of realization. Wisdom is the harvest of valid experience.

8)

PostPosted:  

gizmo wrote:
Quote:
Growth is always unconscious, be it physical, intellectual, or spiritual.

I'm grappling with this quote. Looking back on my life, I acknowledge how much I have learned and experienced, and I believe this is personal growth. And, over time, I believe I see others grow. But this is just my opinion. What I think this quote is teaching me is that real growth has nothing to do with my opinion.

Life will innately evolve but it needs the ministry of mind to direct it, which is what they mean by providing the soil for growth. Your opinions, attitudes and thoughts are part of the soil, the factors of growth. So I think your opinion does matter because it is a reflection of your mental attitude, and the Thought Adjuster works to adjust the mind toward divine attitudes.

(76.6) 6:4.6 The indwelling Father fragment adjusts the human mind to progressively divine attitudes, whereupon such an ascending mind becomes increasingly responsive to the spiritual drawing power of the all-powerful spirit-gravity circuit of the Second Source and Center.

(1095.3) 100:1.8 The factors of religious growth may be intentional, but the growth itself is unvaryingly unconscious.

PostPosted:  

katroofjebus wrote:
gizmo wrote:
Isn't there an adage - the degree of truth in an argument is in inverse proportion to its defense?

Yes, here it is:

(557.14) 48:7.30 28. The argumentative defense of any proposition is inversely proportional to the truth contained.

Please note the difference. It is not argument but proposition. Many come here to propose and proclaim and declare and face challenge and argument based on the teachings studied here. While the UB needs no defense itself, personal prejudice and metaphysical inventions often fail reasoned scrutiny and/or comparison to the text studied here.

Although some here would prefer no objections be raised to anyone's declarations no matter how false or illogical, such a lack of response to falsehood also contradicts the UB IMO. It is no less an error to allow falsehood to remain unchallenged than it is to proclaim falsehood as truth...indeed, I would claim it is far worse and far more dangerous and no sign of strength or courage or logic or peace making...it is rather a weak and ineffective perpetuation and aid and abetting of falsehood.

It is only by someone's objection to such propositions of falsehood that then causes the argumentative defense of the false propositions to then be considered.

Objection to false claims, proclamations, and declarations is preferable to muteness. The three little monkeys are hardly representative of wisdom or reason. Just simple avoidance. A grave error of its own.

:wink:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6