Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:00 pm +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 193 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: DANGERS OF DEMOCRACY
PostPosted:  

When excellence is proven, then the same act a second time no longer considered excellent. The act which represents excellence often sets the new standard, but such acts are always unique, yes? I just don't understand how an excellent act can be repeated.

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted:  

SEla_Kelly wrote:
When excellence is proven, then the same act a second time no longer considered excellent. The act which represents excellence often sets the new standard, but such acts are always unique, yes? I just don't understand how an excellent act can be repeated.

Good Grief. Of course excellence can be repeated over and over again. By the same person or by any others.

excellent

[ˈeks(ə)lənt]

ADJECTIVE

extremely good; outstanding.

"their results are excellent" · 

[more]

synonyms:

very good · superb · outstanding · magnificent · of high quality · of the highest quality · of the highest standard · exceptional · marvelous · wonderful · sublime · perfect · eminent · preeminent · matchless · peerless · supreme · first-rate · first-class · superior · superlative · splendid · admirable · worthy · sterling · fine · super · A1 · ace · great · terrific · tremendous · fantastic · fab · supercalifragilisticexpialidocious · top-notch · tip-top · class · awesome · magic · wicked · cool · out of this world · too good to be true · mind-blowing · brilliant · brill · smashing · champion · bosting · badass · awesomesauce · on fleek · legit · beaut · bonzer · spiffing · ripping · topping · top-hole · wizard · capital · swell · bosker · applaudable

:roll:

PostPosted:  

Right right right. However, I can say this: once an excellent act has been done, then let me say that it is something with a final quality to it. Maybe you did such an excellent thing, and offer unto others the way another person might do that same action, yet I consider that after such an act is committed, and yes let us say such a thing is truly excellent, then for another person cannot do the same thing "in an excellent way". Perhaps others will do other things, commit other actions, "more excellently", than you, after: they will "excel" in their action compared with your deeds. But for them to do such a thing, such an excellent thing as you have done, would not "exceed" the standard that already exists. I give credit to the excellent history of human progress, with this respect: what Moses has done, can no man outdo. So, again, I am distraught about the question why here, if the premise I cannot itself understand. I do not understand this: "Repitition" or "Standard of Excellence", since the only way to do something excellently has a living momentary aspect to it, not based on the certitude of precedence in the manner you are suggested. Again, to "repeat" (actually, simply "to do") something excellent, requires more than "echo", requires an interjection of effort of some sort on part of the individual, in order for new acts, to have been in the future deemed or considered to be excellent ones. Even so, what a great burden, or what an impossible goal: to demand always of one's self that anything done should be done most excellently.

ex·cel (ĭk-sĕl)ex·celled, ex·cel·ling, ex·cels v.tr. (AH) "To do or be better than; surpass."

PostPosted:  

SEla_Kelly wrote:
Right right right. However, I can say this: once an excellent act has been done, then let me say that it is something with a final quality to it. Maybe you did such an excellent thing, and offer unto others the way another person might do that same action, yet I consider that after such an act is committed, and yes let us say such a thing is truly excellent, then for another person cannot do the same thing "in an excellent way". Perhaps others will do other things, commit other actions, "more excellently", than you, after: they will "excel" in their action compared with your deeds. But for them to do such a thing, such an excellent thing as you have done, would not "exceed" the standard that already exists. I give credit to the excellent history of human progress, with this respect: what Moses has done, can no man outdo. So, again, I am distraught about the question why here, if the premise I cannot itself understand. I do not understand this: "Repitition" or "Standard of Excellence", since the only way to do something excellently has a living momentary aspect to it, not based on the certitude of precedence in the manner you are suggested. Again, to "repeat" (actually, simply "to do") something excellent, requires more than "echo", requires an interjection of effort of some sort on part of the individual, in order for new acts, to have been in the future deemed or considered to be excellent ones. Even so, what a great burden, or what an impossible goal: to demand always of one's self that anything done should be done most excellently.

ex·cel (ĭk-sĕl)ex·celled, ex·cel·ling, ex·cels v.tr. (AH) "To do or be better than; surpass."

Excellence does not have a fixed measure or standard. It is not final. Neither is it momentary. Nor is it stationary. It can be repeated...by anyone at anytime. We are surrounded by excellence in both aspiration and achievement by billions of people every day Stephen. It's aspiration is the standard for all mind that is learnable/teachable....mind at every level seeks excellence and perfection of experience AND expression!! It is the universal NORM!!

Do not limit what might be done or is yet to come. Many of us strife for excellence and achieve it Stephen...personally, professionally, artistically, athletically, paternally, etc. It is not a burden....it is an aspiration and inspiration to excel and to improve. Our personal best is always something to exceed and improve. Isn't science and engineering and technology a record and trail of improving upon excellence? Isn't civilization the same?

Have you not watched a child acquire excellence in balance or perception or articulation only to improve the next day or attempt? To throw harder or straighter as physics are understood and applied? How about running faster and jumping higher? You've never seen skill improve by repitition, experience, focus, and effort?

Experiential wisdom is precisely the record of new excellence exceeding prior excellence. This is the very pattern of nature and the universe of universes. Only perfection itself is not subject to excellence and its pattern of exceeding prior excellence.

Your lack of understanding is truly puzzling!!

:idea: :!: 8)

PostPosted:  

Perhaps Stephen is confusing the word excellent with the word ultimate.

PostPosted:  

fanofVan wrote:

Excellence .... is not final. Neither is it momentary.

Isn't science and engineering and technology a record and trail of improving upon excellence? Isn't civilization the same?

Have you not watched a child acquire excellence in balance or perception or articulation only to improve the next day or attempt? To throw harder or straighter as physics are understood and applied? How about running faster and jumping higher? You've never seen skill improve by repitition, experience, focus, and effort?

Experiential wisdom is precisely the record of new excellence exceeding prior excellence. This is the very pattern of nature and the universe of universes. Only perfection itself is not subject to excellence and its pattern of exceeding prior excellence.

No none of these things to me mean excellence. And you said it. If your excellence is not final and momentary, I cannot agree with such standard. I know how excellence sets new standards, but I cannot fathom how repeating the standards adds up to excellence, except for one who actually desires to push the science, the craftmanship, into new discoveries.

Well but even if I cannot agree with you, I hold that in potential each soul (that of you or your children) must have that ability to act in an excellent way, a progressive way I guess, as it must be true that each soul personally evolves or eventuates experiencially, in the glory of the Supreme Being, and in the task of loving and seeking to know God who is perfect.

PostPosted:  

You have a real habit of inventing definitions and a reputation for inventing words to suit yourself. So be it. Your opinions so often contradict the UB Stephen, that is the apparent norm here. Please believe whatever you will. It is enough that everyone else who can read a dictionary knows what it means to excel and to be excellent and to achieve excellence.

All of time and space is perfecting and perfecting depends upon excellence. Without excellence there is no progress, no achievement, and no perfecting. Excellence is the very measure of progress and inherent in all ideals and growth and achievement and wisdom. It is to do better than before by any measure of better. Or so I understand the UB teachings.

PostPosted:  

Surely I crave excellence, but I cannot say affirmatively that anything I have done is actually excellent. Excellence to me, is "beyond greatness", cannot be considered commonplace. Only one who lives in the fullness of the life of the Supreme Being can be considered to (even begin to be able to) do excellent things, yes I do look for this quality of excellence in the life of other souls, who represent that life of the Supreme Being to me. But with all that has been done in the grand universe, I can hardly believe that anything I have heretoforewitnessed has "surpassed" all of the things that have been happened, and to engage with you this trifle: "who is the most excellent among us?" "There is nothing excellent under the sun." "Only the Universal Father is excellent."

PostPosted:  

Apologies Rick...Stephen and I seem to have gotten way off topic...that being the glorification of mediocrity and the danger of that to democracy.

The first and primary antonym of mediocrity is "excellence" , which is why I posted its definition and broad spectrum of synonymous words in contrast to mediocrity- but Stephen refuses to believe this simple fact. Stephen has his own very unique definitions for words which contradict Mr. Webster. Let us get back to the actual topic and teachings.

PostPosted:  

fanofVan wrote:
Apologies Rick...Stephen and I seem to have gotten way off topic...that being the glorification of mediocrity and the danger of that to democracy.

The first and primary antonym of mediocrity is "excellence" but Stephen refuses to believe this simple fact. Stephen has his own very unique definitions for words which contradict Mr. Webster. Let us get back to actual topic and teachings.

Thanks, Bradly. Was just wondering if the dictionary definition of mediocre has been posted on this thread.

This one's from Wiktionary:

1. (now rare) The quality of being intermediate between two extremes; a mean.
2. (obsolete) A middle course of action; moderation, balance. quotations ▼
3. (uncountable) The condition of being mediocre; having only an average degree of quality, skills etc.; no better than standard.
4. An individual with mediocre abilities or achievements.

Source: https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/mediocrity

Not sure what is meant by "(uncountable)", but that definition seems to be the consensus.

My 1952 dictionary has this: "...Of middling quality; of only moderate excellence; neither good nor bad; indifferent... Another more modern one (1996) lists those and: "barely adequate, poor or inferior".

I've discovered mediocrity and stagnation have similarities.

Last edited by rick warren on Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:45 am +0000, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted:  

SEla_Kelly wrote:
"Only the Universal Father is excellent."

I agree with that. The finality of excellency, or perfection, belongs only to the Father. If we consider divinity as the character of the Father, and if we also consider the Father's divinity as excellent, or perfect, then mortal divinity attainment will always be approaching excellency but will never be completely perfect, or equal with the Father. However, the potential for mortal excellency is unlimited because the Father shares his excellence with his sons in their souls. Divinity attainment, the goal of becoming excellent, or perfected, is an eternal quest.

(1443.1) 131:1.5 Our God enjoys great authority; his name is Excellent and his nature is unfathomable.

(365.4) 32:5.8 The goal of eternity is ahead! The adventure of divinity attainment lies before you! The race for perfection is on! whosoever will may enter, and certain victory will crown the efforts of every human being who will run the race of faith and trust, depending every step of the way on the leading of the indwelling Adjuster and on the guidance of that good spirit of the Universe Son, which so freely has been poured out upon all flesh.

I would say that reluctance to engage in this adventure of excellency, perfecting, or divinity attainment, is a symptom of mediocrity.

PostPosted:  

A description of mediocre from the Bible is:

Quote:
Book of Revelation 3:14-22

14 “To the angel of the church in Laodicea write:

These are the words of the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the ruler of God’s creation.15 I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other!16 So, because you are lukewarm—neither hot nor cold—I am about to spit you out of my mouth.17 You say, ‘I am rich; I have acquired wealth and do not need a thing.’ But you do not realize that you are wretched, pitiful, poor, blind and naked. 18 I counsel you to buy from me gold refined in the fire, so you can become rich; and white clothes to wear, so you can cover your shameful nakedness; and salve to put on your eyes, so you can see.

19 Those whom I love I rebuke and discipline. So be earnest and repent. 20 Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with that person, and they with me.

21 To the one who is victorious, I will give the right to sit with me on my throne, just as I was victorious and sat down with my Father on his throne. 22 Whoever has ears, let them hearwhat the Spirit says to the churches.”

PostPosted:  

Jim George wrote:
A description of mediocre from the Bible is:

Quote:
Book of Revelation 3:14-22

14 “To the angel of the church in Laodicea write:

These are the words of the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the ruler of God’s creation.15 I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other!16 So, because you are lukewarm—neither hot nor cold—I am about to spit you out of my mouth.17 You say, ‘I am rich; I have acquired wealth and do not need a thing.’ But you do not realize that you are wretched, pitiful, poor, blind and naked. 18 I counsel you to buy from me gold refined in the fire, so you can become rich; and white clothes to wear, so you can cover your shameful nakedness; and salve to put on your eyes, so you can see.

19 Those whom I love I rebuke and discipline. So be earnest and repent. 20 Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with that person, and they with me.

21 To the one who is victorious, I will give the right to sit with me on my throne, just as I was victorious and sat down with my Father on his throne. 22 Whoever has ears, let them hearwhat the Spirit says to the churches.”

John Zebedee! Thanks.

PostPosted:  

SEla_Kelly wrote:

"Only the Universal Father is excellent."

Simply not true. Stephen - you are not allowed to make up definitions here to suit yourself nor invent words as you wish or proclaim the false to be true or the true to be false!

Kat's endorsement of your false statements does not verify them or make them true either. Find a dictionary dude. Still waiting for the meaning of tripartate!

:roll:

Excellent is not perfect. Excellence is not perfection. Are not truth, beauty, and goodness excellent?

Is not that which contributes to soul, the Supreme, progress, and wisdom excellent?

The definition of excellent offers a spectrum of definition between average and perfect.

Excellence is that which is inherent to evolutionary progress and experiential wisdom and spiritualization and may be either secular or sacred in nature.

I wonder if the birth of soul is excellent? Or circle progress? Or fusion? Finality? Being born again?

Beethoven's ninth? A triple play or home run? Grandslam? So much of life is excellent....sunrise with coffee...a hot shower. Shared laughter and a knowing look. A baby's first step and word.

Even us tadpoles can excel, demonstrate excellence, be excellent tadpoles, and become even more excellent by experience and in our expression of simply being loyal tadpoles in the ponds of time. Is not loyalty itself excellent? Courage? Kindness? Sacrifice?

No? 8)

PostPosted:  

SEla_Kelly wrote:

Actually you are right and bring up a rather important observation. An excellent performance can certainly be repeated but then it becomes merely a good or very good performance. The excelling quality is no longer present because the bar or standard has been raised. And therein lies the difficulty in continuing to perform excellently. You need to at least apply a similar exceptional performance in a different realm. Staleness can lead to mediocrity.

To an actively growing person maybe that is not so difficult. We are continually presented with new situations and opportunities for service and performance. Certainly the divine plan incorporates that by design...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 193 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 13  Next