Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:21 am +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 193 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: DANGERS OF DEMOCRACY
PostPosted:  

maryjo606 wrote:
Many of you have been here on this forum longer than I have. I have been with TruthBook for over 12 years, but relatively new to moderation of this forum. I took over the job when Larry Watkins passed away back in 2018. My feeling is that those of you who have been here when Larry was here are worthy of being here; if that was not the case, he would have uncovered it long ago. –– But - again - I feel that those who have been here for a long time should stay. UNLESS they truly declare themselves as, or are truly antithetical to, the basic teachings of the revelation.

Thank you for explaining your governing style. I thought I'd let you know that I first joined this forum over 13 years ago, so I hope you include me in the the group who should stay.

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted:  

katroofjebus wrote:
maryjo606 wrote:
Many of you have been here on this forum longer than I have. I have been with TruthBook for over 12 years, but relatively new to moderation of this forum. I took over the job when Larry Watkins passed away back in 2018. My feeling is that those of you who have been here when Larry was here are worthy of being here; if that was not the case, he would have uncovered it long ago. –– But - again - I feel that those who have been here for a long time should stay. UNLESS they truly declare themselves as, or are truly antithetical to, the basic teachings of the revelation.

Thank you for explaining your governing style. I thought I'd let you know that I first joined this forum over 13 years ago, so I hope you include me in the the group who should stay.

Why the name change? Why did you leave? By what name should we find the record of your historical posts and opinions? Relevant information don't you think?

PostPosted:  

Quote:
What about false accusations? Are those tolerated?

False accusations are in the same category as ad hominem attacks. I see that recently some have been made against you. And I also see where you have hotly and pretty effectively defended yourself. It's there in black and white and in view of all who may read this thread. Your challenge to produce the evidence for the accusations has been met with silence, which says all I need to know about the truth of the accusations. Don't you think others can figure that out, too?

Please bear with me. I can't solve every infraction of the rules here, although I do try to maintain some semblance of order.

PostPosted:  

Quote:
the group who should stay

There is no group who should stay vs a group that should go. That's not what I was saying...only that some long-time forumites who get - and give - a lot of flak here are not (imho) worthy of being booted off. These folks didn't start acting the way they do last Tuesday...patterns of behavior here have been established over a period of many years and under the observation and moderation of more people than just me.

PostPosted:  

maryjo606 wrote:
. Your challenge to produce the evidence for the accusations has been met with silence, which says all I need to know about the truth of the accusations. Don't you think others can figure that out, too?

It's possible there's no response because the poster has been blocked and the one who did the blocking has no idea there is a challenge. Just so you know, I've blocked two members of this forum and have no idea what they're writing. If I don't respond to a challenge from someone who is blocked, it doesn't mean a thing. I don't think that's against forum rules, is it?

PostPosted:  

If Jim blocked me, he did so after making his accusation, because his accusation was in response to something I wrote recently before it. That seems unlikely. (Nice try, though.)

In any case, I’ve let it be known that his accusation is false so nothing more needs to be said about it.

PostPosted:  

Quote:
If I don't respond to a challenge from someone who is blocked, it doesn't mean a thing. I don't think that's against forum rules, is it?

If it is an option of the system, it is not against the rules.

I hope this is aired out sufficiently now.

PostPosted:  

It can't hurt to know what mediocrity is NOT. Looking at its antonyms, excellence comes up most often. And that has been discussed fairly thoroughly in this thread. But I think a better antonym, one that doesn't come up in the dictionary is sublime.

Sublime: exalted, elevated, noble, lofty, awe-inspiring, awesome, majestic, magnificent, imposing, glorious, supreme; grand, great, outstanding, excellent, first-rate, first-class, superb, perfect, ideal, wonderful, marvelous, splendid, delightful, blissful, rapturous.

Another antonymic word for the mediocre is nobility:

Noble: excellent, splendid, marvelous, magnificent, superb, fine, wonderful, exceptional, formidable, sublime, prime, first-class, first-rate, high-grade, grade A, superior, supreme, flawless, choice, select, finest, superlative, model.

Mediocre: ordinary, common, commonplace, indifferent, average, middle-of-the-road, middling, medium, moderate, everyday, workaday, tolerable, passable, adequate, fair; inferior, second-rate, uninspired, undistinguished, unexceptional, unexciting, unremarkable, run-of-the-mill, not very good, pedestrian, prosaic, lackluster, forgettable, amateur, amateurish.

One reader suggested robust is an antonym, but it doesn't fit exactly:

Robust: strong, vigorous, sturdy, tough, powerful, powerfully built, solidly built, muscular, sinewy, rugged, hardy, strapping, brawny, burly, husky; healthy, fit...

PostPosted:  

I was wondering Rick, do you have any interest in discussing the other dangers to democracy?

PostPosted:  

katroofjebus wrote:
I was wondering Rick, do you have any interest in discussing the other dangers to democracy?

Absolutely, Katro,

All Urantia needs to memorize each of this celestially bestowed, five point critique on democratic pitfalls. Democratic/representative governance is in the experimental stage now, and we could retrogress to monarchy and despotism unless course corrections are made soon, no? Even now we see hints of back sliding. Some of the world population is not ready to self govern and would not care if autocracy regained lost ground.

...for there have been many, many retrogressions in the long forward struggle of Urantia civilization.... 68:4:7 (767.7)

That said, I also believe most types of governance will suffice, even progress, including monarchy, IF the electorate contains a thick substrate of good, honest, and involved people. We, civilization, have to begin to grasp the need for creating better humans. Not of this or that race, this or that eye color, smarter or not. I would very much like to see a new human right established, a new ideal that aims to equip every child with a disease-free set of genes (and without coercion!). This gets into the Adamic mission to provide DNA that enhances humanity's ability to produce children who can easily and profitably host Adjusters.

2. Choice of base and ignorant rulers.

3. Failure to recognize the basic facts of social evolution.

4. Danger of universal suffrage in the hands of uneducated and indolent majorities.

5. Slavery to public opinion; the majority is not always right.

PostPosted:  

Thanks Rick. Since you brought up this topic I've been wondering about number 3, the failure to recognize the basic facts of social evolution. Are they talking about the underlying facts of social evolution that affect all societies, or the current state of social evolution? Or both? What are the facts of social evolution?

PostPosted:  

Probably needs its own thread, eh? Maybe all five do! But two of them are alike, or are symptoms of the same danger:

2. Choice of base and ignorant rulers.

4. Danger of universal suffrage in the hands of uneducated and indolent majorities.

PostPosted:  

Do you mean a new thread for number three? As to number two, I was drawn to the word "base". It brings to mind the description of a "base heredity" and how environment can't overcome that problem. Then there's this use of the word "base":

(766.1) 68:2.11 Vanity contributed mightily to the birth of society; but at the time of these revelations the devious strivings of a vainglorious generation threaten to swamp and submerge the whole complicated structure of a highly specialized civilization. Pleasure-want has long since superseded hunger-want; the legitimate social aims of self-maintenance are rapidly translating themselves into base and threatening forms of self-gratification. Self-maintenance builds society; unbridled self-gratification unfailingly destroys civilization.

The Revelation also labels the profit motive as base in an advanced society. Obviously we're not there yet, which brings me back to the question, "What are the facts of social evolution?"

(805.7) 71:6.3 The profit motive of economic activities is altogether base and wholly unworthy of an advanced order of society; nevertheless, it is an indispensable factor throughout the earlier phases of civilization. Profit motivation must not be taken away from men until they have firmly possessed themselves of superior types of nonprofit motives for economic striving and social serving — the transcendent urges of superlative wisdom, intriguing brotherhood, and excellency of spiritual attainment.

PostPosted:  

katroofjebus wrote:
Do you mean a new thread for number three?

Yes, Katro. Social evolution isn't on civilization's radar, is it? Can't recall ever reading about it, except maybe in retrospect, by some astute historian. Even the word evolution connotes evil to some! We could at least define it ala UB. It's mentioned a dozen times.

PostPosted:  

rick warren wrote:
Social evolution isn't on civilization's radar, is it? Can't recall ever reading about it, except maybe in retrospect, by some astute historian.

I can't agree that social evolution isn't on civilization's radar. That's exactly the cause of our current turmoil and recognition of its basic facts might actually be helpful. Social justice warriors are extremely active and their work, as they see it, is to initiate social evolution in the direction they interpret as ideal. If you haven't read anything about that, then may I suggest you do?

rick warren wrote:
We could at least define it ala UB. It's mentioned a dozen times.

In terms of a definition, I think the Revelation equates it with the appearance of the brotherhood of man on earth, something that evolves and eventually comes to full bloom in the epochs of light and life. But I ask again, what about the basic facts we should not fail to recognize?

I think basically social evolution is driven by inner divine forces. When society loses sight of God, it becomes merely the kingdom of good, and that's not where social evolution is really headed. It's a side-trip along the way. So many are now venturing down those side roads and are lost directionally because they have not recognized the basic fact that drives social evolution. And that is God himself, who is represented by his Son, the Spirit of Truth, who directs the loving contact between persons, those who make up society.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 193 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next