Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:40 am +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 165 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
PostPosted:  

I am opening up this thread to piggyback off topic (click here): Do we lose free will as we become more spiritual? I think it is appropriate to have a specific thread for the purpose of exploring the notion of human will. Feel free to share your thoughts on this topic from the perspective of the revelations.

Will, Free Will, Will Power and CHOICE.

WILL is desire. FREE WILL is the freedom to desire. WILL POWER is potency of freedom to desire. CHOICE is expressing will or free will.

WILL is subject to conditions. FREE WILL is unconditional, relatively speaking. WILL POWER may or may not override condition placed on will, depending on its potency; the stronger the will power the more freely expressed, free will.

We choose how we express our free will. Will power determines whether or not the choice materializes.

When you choose to express the will of divinity, the desire is divine. It ---will of divinity--- is not yours. Divinity is Father's gifted to us through the agency of the Father fragment. Once the decision is made, and unless and until the mortal chooses to reengage its free will, that is, ability to desire something other than divine, will is no longer logically "free." You could say, it is "consecrated." Free will has been transformed into the Divine will.

Jesus tells us this in the following pronouncement:

Quote:
136:2.4 (1511.3)... Jesus, looking up to the near-by Adjuster, prayed... "Your will be done on earth

Jesus chose not to express his free will (possibly deciding not to undergo the bestowal career). Instead, he made the choice to put his free will aside by submitting it to God's will.

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted:  

brooklyn_born wrote:
WILL is desire.

I don't think I agree with this. Desire is a feeling or emotion.

Will is power which is described in the Revelation as sovereignty. Will is the power of choice. Will is the sovereign power of the personality to create its own destiny.

(9.4) 0:6.2 ENERGY we use as an all-inclusive term applied to spiritual, mindal, and material realms. Force is also thus broadly used. Power is ordinarily limited to the designation of the electronic level of material or linear-gravity-responsive matter in the grand universe. Power is also employed to designate sovereignty. We cannot follow your generally accepted definitions of force, energy, and power. There is such paucity of language that we must assign multiple meanings to these terms.

(71.3) 5:6.8 Having thus provided for the growth of the immortal soul and having liberated man's inner self from the fetters of absolute dependence on antecedent causation, the Father stands aside. Now, man having thus been liberated from the fetters of causation response, at least as pertains to eternal destiny, and provision having been made for the growth of the immortal self, the soul, it remains for man himself to will the creation or to inhibit the creation of this surviving and eternal self which is his for the choosing. No other being, force, creator, or agency in all the wide universe of universes can interfere to any degree with the absolute sovereignty of the mortal free will, as it operates within the realms of choice, regarding the eternal destiny of the personality of the choosing mortal. As pertains to eternal survival, God has decreed the sovereignty of the material and mortal will, and that decree is absolute.

(1233.1) 112:5.5 And it is this very power of choice, the universe insignia of freewill creaturehood, that constitutes man's greatest opportunity and his supreme cosmic responsibility. Upon the integrity of the human volition depends the eternal destiny of the future finaliter; upon the sincerity of the mortal free will the divine Adjuster depends for eternal personality; upon the faithfulness of mortal choice the Universal Father depends for the realization of a new ascending son; upon the steadfastness and wisdom of decision-actions the Supreme Being depends for the actuality of experiential evolution.

I posted these definitions of mortal will in a different topic. I'll repost them again for continuity:

(1431.2) 130.2.7  Will is the deliberate choice of a self-conscious being which leads to decision-conduct based on intelligent reflection.

(1431.5) 130:2.10  It was on this same day that we first heard that momentous truth which, stated in modern terms, would signify: “Will is that manifestation of the human mind which enables the subjective consciousness to express itself objectively and to experience the phenomenon of aspiring to be Godlike.” And it is in this same sense that every reflective and spiritually minded human being can become creative.

PostPosted:  

Matt 25:14-26 “For it will be like a man going on a journey, who called his servants and entrusted to them his property. To one he gave five talents, to another two, to another one, to each according to his ability. Then he went away. He who had received the five talents went at once and traded with them, and he made five talents more. So also he who had the two talents made two talents more. But he who had received the one talent went and dug in the ground and hid his master's money. Now after a long time the master of those servants came and settled accounts with them. And he who had received the five talents came forward, bringing five talents more, saying, ‘Master, you delivered to me five talents; here, I have made five talents more.’ His master said to him, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant. You have been faithful over a little; I will set you over much. Enter into the joy of your master.’ And he also who had the two talents came forward, saying, ‘Master, you delivered to me two talents; here, I have made two talents more.’ His master said to him, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant. You have been faithful over a little; I will set you over much. Enter into the joy of your master.’ He also who had received the one talent came forward, saying, ‘Master, I knew you to be a hard man, reaping where you did not sow, and gathering where you scattered no seed, so I was afraid, and I went and hid your talent in the ground. Here, you have what is yours.’ But his master answered him, ‘You wicked and slothful servant! You knew that I reap where I have not sown and gather where I scattered no seed?"

How you call this, "how one may gain POWER, in the will". Again, I say that there is only one will, and that is the will of the Universal Father. The Universal Father lend his Gifts to the minds of souls of man, that is called the Fragment of the First Source, and when you read passages of the Creator Son, you have to think about Prudence and Obligation to One's Master.

When you forget that the Universal Father is also a Great Master of the Universe, you might forget "you ought to serve the Universal Father". Nay, you should learn to love the obligations that have been given unto your hand to fulfill. How you interpret this, the master gifting his servants many talents, implies "the Universal Father's love for the Son (who is the master), and the Universal Father's willingness to love the Son's servants (who is like myself, in a very poorly reflected and very distorted sinful fashion I suppose)", if you think about the talents: that is a gift, and the theory of the Universal Father's indwelling the minds of mortal men, as in the seedsowing of time in the likeness of mortal flesh, you have to think about the many many gifts, throughout the aged history of Nebadon, before that the work of the Life Carriers to provide vessels of life that are capable of housing actual individualised sentience, as a mortal of an inhabited world. Very difficult to see, in the confusion of financial consideration, how "Life" was actually financed but try to see this from an evolutionary or universe-history perspective, the endowment of every mind in the universe beyond the Third Source and Center, how each one must have been raised in the prudence of eternal post-ultimacy.

When you arrive at the approach of post-ultimate eternity, unity of life, wow you can see a sacred course of emergence within the journey of every specie every inhabited world, and expecially in the minds of souls from those inhabited worlds (on the worlds of light and life), then you can see that if a talent is indeed given into your hand, into your heart or head, well from the energy, or the love, or the wisdom, that you possess, you should incorporate that new pattern and employ your greater resources towards the building of God's kingdom, God's mansions. A talent is not something with eternal life, but it is something that can grow in the wisdom of the human individual's own interests, just as a seed does not have eternal life, but it can die into the new generation that the tree offers to the world. As souls, you have to use your talents because eventually you not offer your talents to this world but to the grand universe in the most greatest capacities of unceasing service to the Universal Father, who is the First Source and Center, as your power will allow.

What choice is measurable, is first attenuated by your own lack of enthusiasm, zeal. If you look at the intellectual possibilities of time, and not the life of every moment, then you are basing your choices in the measurable outcomes of mathematics and rational possibility. If you find the Source of Life, you can develop greater wisdom, but first you would have to dedicated your own actions towards the garnering of wisdom. How a person develops power is the same as how a banker develops wealth, except this applies within a metaphysical context, of "the opening of one's heart to the total experience", that the fragment of the universal father attempts to eschew to the mind of the soul of mortal man. Indeed, this involves not only discipline, but the eventual identification of other souls, as God's Children, just as one may identify Christ Michael as one's own brother. Oh but other souls are like talents and truly given into your hand, how much more should you look at the dedication of one's mind to the doing of the Universal Father's will, if they are "given unto your hand", before even born into the womb of a mother, incredible. But just as an investor is called to increase the talents that his master has given to him, people should grow up with the notice of responsibility, in one way or the other, "to bring in souls to Urantia", to provide universal experience to children, and to raise children in the way that suggests, well I have known you all along haven't I?

PostPosted:  

It's a synonym.

katroofjebus wrote:
brooklyn_born wrote:
WILL is desire.

I don't think I agree with this. Desire is a feeling or emotion.

Will is power which is described in the Revelation as sovereignty. Will is the power of choice. Will is the sovereign power of the personality to create its own destiny.

(9.4) 0:6.2 ENERGY we use as an all-inclusive term applied to spiritual, mindal, and material realms. Force is also thus broadly used. Power is ordinarily limited to the designation of the electronic level of material or linear-gravity-responsive matter in the grand universe. Power is also employed to designate sovereignty. We cannot follow your generally accepted definitions of force, energy, and power. There is such paucity of language that we must assign multiple meanings to these terms.

(71.3) 5:6.8 Having thus provided for the growth of the immortal soul and having liberated man's inner self from the fetters of absolute dependence on antecedent causation, the Father stands aside. Now, man having thus been liberated from the fetters of causation response, at least as pertains to eternal destiny, and provision having been made for the growth of the immortal self, the soul, it remains for man himself to will the creation or to inhibit the creation of this surviving and eternal self which is his for the choosing. No other being, force, creator, or agency in all the wide universe of universes can interfere to any degree with the absolute sovereignty of the mortal free will, as it operates within the realms of choice, regarding the eternal destiny of the personality of the choosing mortal. As pertains to eternal survival, God has decreed the sovereignty of the material and mortal will, and that decree is absolute.

(1233.1) 112:5.5 And it is this very power of choice, the universe insignia of freewill creaturehood, that constitutes man's greatest opportunity and his supreme cosmic responsibility. Upon the integrity of the human volition depends the eternal destiny of the future finaliter; upon the sincerity of the mortal free will the divine Adjuster depends for eternal personality; upon the faithfulness of mortal choice the Universal Father depends for the realization of a new ascending son; upon the steadfastness and wisdom of decision-actions the Supreme Being depends for the actuality of experiential evolution.

I posted these definitions of mortal will in a different topic. I'll repost them again for continuity:

(1431.2) 130.2.7  Will is the deliberate choice of a self-conscious being which leads to decision-conduct based on intelligent reflection.

(1431.5) 130:2.10  It was on this same day that we first heard that momentous truth which, stated in modern terms, would signify: “Will is that manifestation of the human mind which enables the subjective consciousness to express itself objectively and to experience the phenomenon of aspiring to be Godlike.” And it is in this same sense that every reflective and spiritually minded human being can become creative.

PostPosted:  

I would like to understand what you are stating. Based on your understanding, humans do not posses will separate and distinct from God's will?

SEla_Kelly wrote:
Matt 25:14-26 “For it will be like a man going on a journey, who called his servants and entrusted to them his property. To one he gave five talents, to another two, to another one, to each according to his ability. Then he went away. He who had received the five talents went at once and traded with them, and he made five talents more. So also he who had the two talents made two talents more. But he who had received the one talent went and dug in the ground and hid his master's money. Now after a long time the master of those servants came and settled accounts with them. And he who had received the five talents came forward, bringing five talents more, saying, ‘Master, you delivered to me five talents; here, I have made five talents more.’ His master said to him, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant. You have been faithful over a little; I will set you over much. Enter into the joy of your master.’ And he also who had the two talents came forward, saying, ‘Master, you delivered to me two talents; here, I have made two talents more.’ His master said to him, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant. You have been faithful over a little; I will set you over much. Enter into the joy of your master.’ He also who had received the one talent came forward, saying, ‘Master, I knew you to be a hard man, reaping where you did not sow, and gathering where you scattered no seed, so I was afraid, and I went and hid your talent in the ground. Here, you have what is yours.’ But his master answered him, ‘You wicked and slothful servant! You knew that I reap where I have not sown and gather where I scattered no seed?"

How you call this, "how one may gain POWER, in the will". Again, I say that there is only one will, and that is the will of the Universal Father. The Universal Father lend his Gifts to the minds of souls of man, that is called the Fragment of the First Source, and when you read passages of the Creator Son, you have to think about Prudence and Obligation to One's Master.

When you forget that the Universal Father is also a Great Master of the Universe, you might forget "you ought to serve the Universal Father". Nay, you should learn to love the obligations that have been given unto your hand to fulfill. How you interpret this, the master gifting his servants many talents, implies "the Universal Father's love for the Son (who is the master), and the Universal Father's willingness to love the Son's servants (who is like myself, in a very poorly reflected and very distorted sinful fashion I suppose)", if you think about the talents: that is a gift, and the theory of the Universal Father's indwelling the minds of mortal men, as in the seedsowing of time in the likeness of mortal flesh, you have to think about the many many gifts, throughout the aged history of Nebadon, before that the work of the Life Carriers to provide vessels of life that are capable of housing actual individualised sentience, as a mortal of an inhabited world. Very difficult to see, in the confusion of financial consideration, how "Life" was actually financed but try to see this from an evolutionary or universe-history perspective, the endowment of every mind in the universe beyond the Third Source and Center, how each one must have been raised in the prudence of eternal post-ultimacy.

When you arrive at the approach of post-ultimate eternity, unity of life, wow you can see a sacred course of emergence within the journey of every specie every inhabited world, and expecially in the minds of souls from those inhabited worlds (on the worlds of light and life), then you can see that if a talent is indeed given into your hand, into your heart or head, well from the energy, or the love, or the wisdom, that you possess, you should incorporate that new pattern and employ your greater resources towards the building of God's kingdom, God's mansions. A talent is not something with eternal life, but it is something that can grow in the wisdom of the human individual's own interests, just as a seed does not have eternal life, but it can die into the new generation that the tree offers to the world. As souls, you have to use your talents because eventually you not offer your talents to this world but to the grand universe in the most greatest capacities of unceasing service to the Universal Father, who is the First Source and Center, as your power will allow.

What choice is measurable, is first attenuated by your own lack of enthusiasm, zeal. If you look at the intellectual possibilities of time, and not the life of every moment, then you are basing your choices in the measurable outcomes of mathematics and rational possibility. If you find the Source of Life, you can develop greater wisdom, but first you would have to dedicated your own actions towards the garnering of wisdom. How a person develops power is the same as how a banker develops wealth, except this applies within a metaphysical context, of "the opening of one's heart to the total experience", that the fragment of the universal father attempts to eschew to the mind of the soul of mortal man. Indeed, this involves not only discipline, but the eventual identification of other souls, as God's Children, just as one may identify Christ Michael as one's own brother. Oh but other souls are like talents and truly given into your hand, how much more should you look at the dedication of one's mind to the doing of the Universal Father's will, if they are "given unto your hand", before even born into the womb of a mother, incredible. But just as an investor is called to increase the talents that his master has given to him, people should grow up with the notice of responsibility, in one way or the other, "to bring in souls to Urantia", to provide universal experience to children, and to raise children in the way that suggests, well I have known you all along haven't I?

PostPosted:  

Right, Brooklyn because the will of the Supreme is the Emergence of the same will as of the First Source and Center, and such will is recognised as creature-mind by the existential God-fragment, who is said to inhabit the soul. The will of the Supreme, is manifest because of all Deities conspiring for the progress of the universe, this is in the idea of existentially created Beings, whose very nature the 100% continuous votive of service in order to gift a planet the tabernacle of animal life capable of housing sentience. If you are mortal creature, seeking to have the undiscoverable existential attribute of the First Source and Center, you will have to become "like an existential being", wherein the prepersonality affirms the eschewance or affirmation that the will be done: through His Creatures. Will is a gift of sentient life, and the fact that the creature has will, implies the exalted status of Urantia. Of course, this can be seen in the idea that this will shared, it is given, and the personality of the creature through will can be joined (it sounds almost impossible) to the true personality of that individual, the post-ultimate status of the God-man of Ascendington. It's the goal: that's the reason why ANYONE in Urantia has will, and to me all wills imply a grand cosmic cycle between existing actuality and existential reality.

PostPosted:  

brooklyn_born wrote:
It's a synonym.

Yes, but it's a synonym for the word "will" in a narrow set of circumstances. If you check the definition of "free will" or "volition" in the dictionary, the word "desire" doesn't show up. I'm curious if you think animals are capable of desiring something? If an animal desires food, sex, or sleep is that animal exercising its will? Isn't their desire a function of the urges of their adjutant minds? I think we can all agree that animals do not have personality and therefore do not have will even though they have desires.

If I were writing an essay on the subject I would avoid using the word "desire" because it has so many other unrelated connotations. For instance, I might have an amorous desire for another person and attempt to inflict my will upon that person, which could be a felony. It reminds me of the six levels of the golden rule, the first level being rather animalistic and selfish. Under those circumstances I think the word "desire" would best define immature ego-will.

Then again, I'm not sure what your intentions are for this discussion, so perhaps you want "will" to mean desire. Do you mean to use the word "desire" as having a preference between options? Even so, the best and wisest option is not always the one a person desires, so again I find use of the word problematic.

My own preference is to define "will" as the power to choose. One's reason for choosing is another subject which will naturally differ for every person under every situation. In my opinion desire functions as part of the formula only when the self is at the center of the decision. I see the word "desire" as somewhat self-centered and not all will is self-centered. In fact, the goal is to become self-forgetful, in which case desire becomes something else. We could call it truth hunger or God-hunger.

If you look up the word "desire" in the dictionary it mostly has to do with wish fulfillment and sex, so I don't like it. I don't find "desire" to be a satisfactory definition of the word "will" unless we're talking about will at an infantile or immature level.

PostPosted:  

But will is never infantile or immature. Will is the quality of the Universal Father's way and very nature. Desire is defintely a big part of it: desire mounting from the unconscious level, yeah? Don't reject this connotation of will, just because human habits are quick to name base levels of gratification that might stem from intellectual or subjective self-gratification. The Desire of the human individual must become "purgated", "must conform", aligned as you say, and this what may effectuate the Universal Father's approval. Desires of this earth do fade from your mind, when you find that God withholds will from the human mind, until such mind is amply forged in love & wisdom. "Out of all the things that I want (that I am capable of doing), what would please the Universal Father the most?" See if you can find it in yourself, amongst the array of current impulse and desires, inclinations and demands, have you actually the current modus, the status fully of the mind, to do God's will with zeal. This is one chance in the entirety of the grand universe, and attainment of eternal life is hinged to this prospect: inescapably, "Blessed is he who knows the will of God and performs with sincerity and audacity such desire". Desires in general: you have question sincerely, like Jesus when he 14 years old "what will it grant for the souls of men?" Find the desires that lead to the more life-giving outcomes, and work from that frame in order to give to others, the affirmation of healthier seraphic desires, whether your family/culture already embraces those or not. This is important because will is that part of God that emerges within the mind of man, "He who took my mind and started molding me, before I was a babe in my mother's womb."

PostPosted:  

SEla_Kelly wrote:
But will is never infantile or immature.

I agree that will itself is an attribute of personality which has a divine source. The matter in question concerns the execution of will. Human will is immature in its manifestation, meaning imperfect. God's will is perfect in its manifestation. It's how the power of will is utilized and expressed that determines its level of closeness to God (maturity) or distance from God (immaturity).

PostPosted:  

Right, so it must be well-hoped and well-wrought that one of the supreme desires, amidst the plethora that compete for man's attention, is this actual desire to become a man, to become fully mature. "Make my sight and my ways acceptible to the Lord's;" "give me, above all else: a clean heart;" A plain request that has been echoed throughout time on Urantia. This can be, in my interpretation, also translated into the human individual's quest to gain wisdom and self-direction, that the trials of in becoming like the universal father (even though I am in no status to explain fully what that means), is a purgative quest that eventually unites the mind of God with the desires of man, enables you to see wisdom even to have your vision transformed to see the wisdom from on High, and this comes from possessing the desire to "make things whole", "to make all things new", "to live by doing the will of the father", and to become truly compassionate towards others (the needs of others) who share your order of existences. Attaining wisdom is the initial journey towards gaining the divine insight, but once you have attained that, hopefully you become independent self-directed spirit capable of helping others in your own way or in the Universal Father's way according to your unique individuated personality.

PostPosted:  

SEla_Kelly wrote:
This can be, in my interpretation, also translated into the human individual's quest to gain wisdom

I agree with that. The prayer for wisdom is highly recommended:

(999.8 ) 91:6.5 Do not be so slothful as to ask God to solve your difficulties, but never hesitate to ask him for wisdom and spiritual strength to guide and sustain you while you yourself resolutely and courageously attack the problems at hand.

PostPosted:  

130:4.3 The highest level to which a finite creature can progress is the recognition of the Universal Father and the knowing of the Supreme. And even then such beings of finality destiny go on experiencing change in the motions of the physical world and in its material phenomena. Likewise do they remain aware of selfhood progression in their continuing ascension of the spiritual universe and of growing consciousness in their deepening appreciation of, and response to, the intellectual cosmos. Only in the perfection, harmony, and unanimity of will can the creature become as one with the Creator; and such a state of divinity is attained and maintained only by the creature's continuing to live in time and eternity by consistently conforming his finite personal will to the divine will of the Creator. Always must the desire to do the Father's will be supreme in the soul and dominant over the mind of an ascending son of God.

Jim

Pretty amazing statement by one well versed in universe affairs.

PostPosted:  

So, what about those whose will is not to do the will of Father, would you say their will is still divine because it falls within the framework of the Supreme Being will? For example, those who chose not to give obedience to Michael's universal sovereignty, and who are now held in custody on the prison world, is their will working for the evolution or will of the Supreme Being?

SEla_Kelly wrote:
Right, Brooklyn because the will of the Supreme is the Emergence of the same will as of the First Source and Center, and such will is recognised as creature-mind by the existential God-fragment, who is said to inhabit the soul. The will of the Supreme, is manifest because of all Deities conspiring for the progress of the universe, this is in the idea of existentially created Beings, whose very nature the 100% continuous votive of service in order to gift a planet the tabernacle of animal life capable of housing sentience. If you are mortal creature, seeking to have the undiscoverable existential attribute of the First Source and Center, you will have to become "like an existential being", wherein the prepersonality affirms the eschewance or affirmation that the will be done: through His Creatures. Will is a gift of sentient life, and the fact that the creature has will, implies the exalted status of Urantia. Of course, this can be seen in the idea that this will shared, it is given, and the personality of the creature through will can be joined (it sounds almost impossible) to the true personality of that individual, the post-ultimate status of the God-man of Ascendington. It's the goal: that's the reason why ANYONE in Urantia has will, and to me all wills imply a grand cosmic cycle between existing actuality and existential reality.

PostPosted:  

Is "wish" a better suited word? I can edit my original post and use that instead.

katroofjebus wrote:
brooklyn_born wrote:
It's a synonym.

Yes, but it's a synonym for the word "will" in a narrow set of circumstances. If you check the definition of "free will" or "volition" in the dictionary, the word "desire" doesn't show up. I'm curious if you think animals are capable of desiring something? If an animal desires food, sex, or sleep is that animal exercising its will? Isn't their desire a function of the urges of their adjutant minds? I think we can all agree that animals do not have personality and therefore do not have will even though they have desires.

If I were writing an essay on the subject I would avoid using the word "desire" because it has so many other unrelated connotations. For instance, I might have an amorous desire for another person and attempt to inflict my will upon that person, which could be a felony. It reminds me of the six levels of the golden rule, the first level being rather animalistic and selfish. Under those circumstances I think the word "desire" would best define immature ego-will.

Then again, I'm not sure what your intentions are for this discussion, so perhaps you want "will" to mean desire. Do you mean to use the word "desire" as having a preference between options? Even so, the best and wisest option is not always the one a person desires, so again I find use of the word problematic.

My own preference is to define "will" as the power to choose. One's reason for choosing is another subject which will naturally differ for every person under every situation. In my opinion desire functions as part of the formula only when the self is at the center of the decision. I see the word "desire" as somewhat self-centered and not all will is self-centered. In fact, the goal is to become self-forgetful, in which case desire becomes something else. We could call it truth hunger or God-hunger.

If you look up the word "desire" in the dictionary it mostly has to do with wish fulfillment and sex, so I don't like it. I don't find "desire" to be a satisfactory definition of the word "will" unless we're talking about will at an infantile or immature level.

PostPosted:  

I think we've already established that the source of personality and it's power called "will" is divine. However, the way a personality utilizes its power depends on mind and mind is not always functioning on a divine level. Mind is necessary to provide consciousness. A personality cannot utilize its power of choice without being conscious of the options available from which to choose. Obviously the mortal mind is limited in its consciousness and therefore in its options The goal is to discover, recognize and choose the option with the most truth, beauty and goodness, the one most in tune with the cosmos. Not every person, at every time does this with great accuracy, but collectively such a thing is actually evolving as the Supreme.

A higher celestial being obviously has access to a higher mind ministry and therefore is conscious of more options from which to choose. But here too, regardless of status, the goal of a personality is to use its power to choose the option most in tune with cosmos unity. And as with any personality, it's power is sovereign. A personality has the capacity to choose erringly. The magnitude of the error has potential to increase along with personality status. As is the case with all personalities, mercy credits are sufficient to cover a great number of errors. When a personality uses up all its mercy credits by continually refusing to unify its power of choice with the cosmos, such a personality becomes isolated in the cosmos, and a completely isolated personality has fatal consequences.

References:
(377.4) 34:3.8 One is free to choose and act only within the realm of one's consciousness.
(1236.3) 112:6.5 Creature volition cannot exist without mind . . .
(103:3)  9:5.5 Mind is truly of divine origin, and it does have a divine destiny, but your mortal minds are not yet of divine dignity.
(1434.7) 130:4.8 Misadaptation of self-conscious life to the universe results in cosmic disharmony. Final divergence of personality will from the trend of the universes terminates in intellectual isolation, personality segregation.
(37.2) 2:3.4 When the continued embrace of sin by the associated mind culminates in complete self-identification with iniquity, then upon the cessation of life, upon cosmic dissolution, such an isolated personality is absorbed into the oversoul of creation, becoming a part of the evolving experience of the Supreme Being. Never again does it appear as a personality; its identity becomes as though it had never been.
(314.4) 28:6.5 In revealing the Father’s pre-existent mercy, the Sons of God establish the necessary credit to insure the survival of all.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 165 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next