Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:19 pm +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted:  

This is a fork from another thread.

katroofjebus wrote:
The question is whether or not the Thought Adjuster indwells the soul. The references provided support that concept.

No, that was not question. It is worth noting that fanofVan has understood what's involed much better than you.

Now I see I misread you. I had thought you had understood (1950.3) 180:5.8 in its entirety and asked you for an interpretation. But apparently you have not comprehended it at all. You only used the small part you highlighted:
katroofjebus wrote:
Said Jesus:
(1950.3) 180:5.8 But the highest realization and the truest interpretation of the golden rule consists in the consciousness of the spirit of the truth of the enduring and living reality of such a divine declaration. The true cosmic meaning of this rule of universal relationship is revealed only in its spiritual realization, in the interpretation of the law of conduct by the spirit of the Son to the spirit of the Father that indwells the soul of mortal man. And when such spirit-led mortals realize the true meaning of this golden rule, they are filled to overflowing with the assurance of citizenship in a friendly universe, and their ideals of spirit reality are satisfied only when they love their fellows as Jesus loved us all, and that is the reality of the realization of the love of God.

Since I have openly asked, and it is a big and more or less untouched topic, let me ask again: what is "spirit leading"?

Please do not rush an answer. Give it a week if it takes, and see what you can come up with regarding "spirit leading" and "spirit-led".

Also, my questions in post 74945 and post 74990 remain unanswered. I am trying to move you or others to a brand new and big topic if it makes sense.

   ─────────────────────
Be you perfecting, even as I am perfecting.

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted:  

"What is 'spirit leading'? As I interpret the UB quote, below, it is what I was taught in Sunday School 'the still small voice'. The voice of our higher selves/ Thought Adjuster/ exchanging our mind with that of Jesus finding expression in our mind and leading us Godward.

Quote:
101:0.3 (1104.3) Religion, the conviction-faith of the personality, can always triumph over the superficially contradictory logic of despair born in the unbelieving material mind. There really is a true and genuine inner voice, that “true light which lights every man who comes into the world.” And this spirit leading is distinct from the ethical prompting of human conscience. The feeling of religious assurance is more than an emotional feeling. The assurance of religion transcends the reason of the mind, even the logic of philosophy. Religion is faith, trust, and assurance.

I don't think it's complicated. It's something most people have at least a little familiarity with. The tricky thing is not to confuse it with 'conscience'. Conscience is different because it is founded on social mores of the time in which one lives.

PostPosted:  

For our mutual study and reflection, a key word search for "spirit leading":

https://truthbook.com/search/UBParagrap ... &start=all

And "spirit led":

https://truthbook.com/search/UBParagrap ... &start=all

1:3.7 In the inner experience of man, mind is joined to matter. Such material-linked minds cannot survive mortal death. The technique of survival is embraced in those adjustments of the human will and those transformations in the mortal mind whereby such a God-conscious intellect gradually becomes spirit taught and eventually spirit led. This evolution of the human mind from matter association to spirit union results in the transmutation of the potentially spirit phases of the mortal mind into the morontia realities of the immortal soul. Mortal mind subservient to matter is destined to become increasingly material and consequently to suffer eventual personality extinction; mind yielded to spirit is destined to become increasingly spiritual and ultimately to achieve oneness with the surviving and guiding divine spirit and in this way to attain survival and eternity of personality existence.

34:6.13 The consciousness of the spirit domination of a human life is presently attended by an increasing exhibition of the characteristics of the Spirit in the life reactions of such a spirit-led mortal, “for the fruits of the spirit are love, joy, peace, long-suffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, and temperance.” Such spirit-guided and divinely illuminated mortals, while they yet tread the lowly paths of toil and in human faithfulness perform the duties of their earthly assignments, have already begun to discern the lights of eternal life as they glimmer on the faraway shores of another world; already have they begun to comprehend the reality of that inspiring and comforting truth, “The kingdom of God is not meat and drink but righteousness, peace, and joy in the Holy Spirit.” And throughout every trial and in the presence of every hardship, spirit-born souls are sustained by that hope which transcends all fear because the love of God is shed abroad in all hearts by the presence of the divine Spirit.

This topic is quite welcome to me. It is related to so many others already in progress. One reader here is so very confused about how free will expands by our spiritualization, so much so as to claim we lose free will as we transfer the seat of our identity from material to spirit. But to be led by the spirit is to exponentially increase the number and variety of choices we face with our free will. For the more spirit led we become the more creative and spontaneous and effective and courageous we become with our free will. Material choices and the choices faced with fear and anxiety and confusion and doubt are few in number compared to those faced with insight and inspiration and the thrill of uncertainty and adventure but the certainty of ultimate outcomes!! Those who trust the Lord with outcomes and are motivated by faith in that power enjoy freedom and become blessed by insight and vision which leads to better and better outcomes by their own growing personal wisdom.

To become spirit-led is to go places and discover intersections of choice we cannot get to otherwise! Jesus had far more options and free will choices than his enemies or his followers because the spirit led him to intersections of relationship and experience that delivered results and wisdom in a far more lineal and far less circular route than those of us who must endlessly repeat decisions to learn anything by those decisions. To be led by the spirit is to straighten the Pilgrim's Path and to remove so many obstacles and detours and backtracks upon the progressive path to Paradise! But to be led by the spirit while growing in wisdom only delivers ever greater options and choices for our wise discernment and selection to learn more and more about the causes of effects and the effects of causes in time! More wisdom? More choices!

Just a few initial thoughts on the subject....not that I understand what supermath hopes to illuminate but grateful for the opportunity for discovery.

8)

PostPosted:  

Spirit leading is the strategem of war. The need to comprehend the entirety of the battle, or the task of creation, goes before strategem, as in an already existing local universe. How does one apply strategem in a spiritual way: it is first necessary to learn as many things as possible at as early an age as one is capable, so that skills along with knowledge can be adapted and applied to any circumstance.

PostPosted:  

Stephen writes above: "Spirit leading is the strategem of war. The need to comprehend the entirety of the battle, or the task of creation, goes before strategem, as in an already existing local universe. How does one apply strategem in a spiritual way: it is first necessary to learn as many things as possible at as early an age as one is capable, so that skills along with knowledge can be adapted and applied to any circumstance."

So those who plot wars are prayerfully led by the spirit? And those who are spirit led are plotters of war? :roll:

Oh dear! Neither is war the "task of creation"....say what????!!!!

To be spirit led does not require experience or wisdom...that is its result...over time. It requires the proper motive. That's all. Knowledge is not a pre-requisite either. Circle progress and spiritization are not war and requires no strategies or tactics or ploting and planning, except those originated and applied by the Adjuster.

We need only to cooperate and choose the spirit leading to then be led to green pastures and living waters. Wisdom and knowledge come...over time...by such experience and by the fruits of the Spirit.

The point is we are not leading...the Spirit is. We are led. Get it?

PostPosted:  

To me spirit leading, with the purpose of augmenting spiritual thinking, is the force, for lack of a better word, Thought Adjuster exerts on mind that is encircuited and responding to the influence of the spiritual ministries of the Spirit of Truth, Holy Spirit, Seraphims (and Cherubims) and adjutant of worship; spirit leading is from the perspective of TA. Spirit-led, conversely, is the perspective of the mortal. It is the mortal materializing or expressing the influence of spiritual agencies; that is to say, the mortal is bearing the "fruits of the spirit."

PostPosted:  

149:6.12 “Well did the Prophet Jeremiah describe many mortals when he said: ‘You are near God in the mouth but far from him in the heart.' And have you not also read that direful warning of the prophet who said: ‘The priests thereof teach for hire, and the prophets thereof divine for money. At the same time they profess piety and proclaim that the Lord is with them.' Have you not been well warned against those who ‘speak peace to their neighbors when mischief is in their hearts,' those who ‘flatter with the lips while the heart is given to double-dealing'? Of all the sorrows of a trusting man, none are so terrible as to be ‘wounded in the house of a trusted friend.'”

Right the principle of the spirit-led mortal comes from the Samurai of Yapon. Jesus warned that during times of war, crisis, and calamity, that the differentials of the mind would become so apparent as to compell the human mind to act, without thinking, without a moment's doubt of hesitation. And this type of instinct is necessary in peaceful time also, even though stark contrasts between good and evil, not always so revealed as on the plane of battle. The idea of spirit lead, something that originally come from the notion of great battles, as in the Templar Knights, "one who is willing to take one's own life with one's own hand, before any battle has even begun." Or the adaptation of the peacelover John the Baptist "behold, I have delivered your enemy into your hand," the ancient promise echoed throughout the Olde Testament (Abraham, Jehu. John the Baptist).

I think that implies psychological responsibility. The war for helping each child in this world as much as possible, and the part that the community has to rear responsible wise minds, not just the parents and extended families.

PostPosted:  

Brooklyn Born says:

Quote:
To me spirit leading, with the purpose of augmenting spiritual thinking, is the force, for lack of a better word, Thought Adjuster exerts on mind that is encircuited and responding to the influence of the spiritual ministries of the Spirit of Truth, Holy Spirit, Seraphims (and Cherubims) and adjutant of worship; spirit leading is from the perspective of TA. Spirit-led, conversely, is the perspective of the mortal. It is the mortal materializing or expressing the influence of spiritual agencies; that is to say, the mortal is bearing the "fruits of the spirit."

Supermath's question asks us to ponder the difference between leading and led. BB's answer divides the process quite nicely. The word I would add is experience. We simply cannot explain the difference adequately unless and until we recognize and personally evaluate our own experience in being led. But as he says, even that does not reveal the actualization of spirit leading. Only by the fruit of our interactive involvement with spiritual reality are we truly known.

Jim

PostPosted:  

Isn't it obvious what being "Spirit led" is? Why is there a need to discuss the mechanics and dynamics of a very simple truth?

PostPosted:  

Quote:
40:5.4 Spirit identification constitutes the secret of personal survival and determines the destiny of spiritual ascension. And since the Thought Adjusters are the only spirits of fusion potential to be identified with man during the life in the flesh, the mortals of time and space are primarily classified in accordance with their relation to these divine gifts, the indwelling Mystery Monitors. 

When we mortals discern the existence of the Thought Adjuster within our minds we come face to face with our very own identities. The willful identification of the spirit reality of our eternal guide in contrast to our own personal identity is not only not obvious it is the greatest challenge of our lives. The full and complete potential of our humanity is only discovered as we identify our spirit guide, embrace that guidance and force the adjustments of and in our character; such a process as will further illuminate the actuality of our destiny.

Jim

PostPosted:  

Well, I cannot say I have any definitive answer, just some ideas.

My opinion about this question is that all you really need is desire and then after that you take action. The rest is up to God.
Example: At a young age God led me out of the Catholic Church after I lost my "religion" my spiritual journey began. Spiritual guidance came to me in the form of both Revelation and workshop. It also came to me in the form of disappointments (life lessons) trials and tribulations. My life has seen tremendous change and countless relationships. There must be something to all this momentum.

I am glad that you ask this question because I have been trying to feel it my entire life. I suppose when looking back I have been led all along. Although if I had my way I would be a lot further along than I am now. It seems to me that I am being slowed down considerably as I find that my plans are far more impatient than God's plans. I know that there is a huge part of me that wants it all now, meaning that I want to feel the spirit guide me daily, I want to hear that still quiet voice always. Yet, in my life it has never worked out that way, it seems that most every spiritual experience (with perhaps a couple of exceptions) has been unconscious. It is only way after the fact--sometimes years that I realize that I was being led by these forces. It also seems that I have been taking baby steps all along the way and progressing slowly but surely, but ever so slowly. Sometimes it feels like I am going backwards too. I supposed that any real progress is a stiff test of sorts and never easy or comfortable rather, the opposite.

My life has never been traumatic. It has been disappointing, confusing, frustrating, regretful, lonely, abusive at times, taken advantage of and betrayed perhaps more than once, sad a lot and even sometimes miserable for a short spell. I cannot say however that I am unhappy or ungrateful, what I can say is that I don't feel that I have acquired the fruits of the spirit in any more than a small measure, just enough to keep my head above water. I will say that my prayers, my intentions are that I am useful here. I don't mean that in any small sense, I mean really useful to another human being where it really matters to their soul. I suppose that is happening and I suppose that I am being led regardless of how I evaluate it--not knowing my value to the cosmos at any given time.

What I can say is that I have made myself available. Perhaps I should not be so concerned with my evaluation and just do the work. What do you think?

Sincerely,
Paul