Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:41 am +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted:  

To those here who have kids; do you tell them about the Urantia Book and its teachings?

I sometimes feel a little guilty when the words 'child indoctrination' is thrown around. Religious parents often introduce their religion to their children in less than praiseworthy ways. They teach that their religion is the ONLY truth and that there is no good outside of the religion. They don't introduce their children to other religious or non religious persuasions. They teach them to deny evolution. All of this when their minds are not developed enough for critical thinking.

With this in mind, I would urge a degree of caution. However, I have in fact introduced my daughter or the UB. I don't consider it child indoctrination for the following reasons:

1. I never claimed that this book is the ONLY truth.

2. I never claimed that this book is the ONLY way to be a good person.

3. I never told my child to read the book or spread the teachings at school.

4. I teach my child about other religious, philosophic, scientific and political persuasions and that one day she will have to decide for herself what to believe.

The only obligation the child has that an adult does not is to be aware that the book exists and that it's teachings are available should he/she wish to learn of them. An adult could glance at the cover and quickly dismiss it's potential value.

Now for my story: I showed the book to my 10 year old daughter and explained what it is in words like this: Many years ago in Chicago a doctor was called to examine a man talking in his sleep. The voices coming from the man as he slept claimed they were angels using the sleeping man as a telephone and wanted to reveal all the secrets of God. The doctor with a group of friends started writing down everything the sleeping man said and that's what this book is.

Yeah I know that's a simplified explanation, but I am trying to convey it in a way a child can understand. When I asked my daughter what her thoughts on the story were she said "It's.... interesting" and then I asked if she believed the story to be true and she said "I don't know" I also found it amusing when she wrestled with advanced English as she read sentences from the book. :lol: I then told her that one day I hoped she would be open minded enough to try to read the book.

It would also be interesting to show the book cover to babies and toddlers. A child's memories work in very interesting ways. While they are unable to recall specific events chronologically or people they knew prior to the age of 4 or 5, they CAN vividly remember the environment around them. So if you were to show the UB to a 2 year old, in the future they could potentially be able to say: "I remember growing up my dad sitting in his armchair with a giant blue book!" and if they re-discover the book later in life, they could confirm they have seen it before.

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted:  

Thanks for your story, William. I like the way you described the book to your 10 year-old. And now, she is free to make up her own mind as she grows into it.

I introduced the book to my son when he was about 13 years-old. Up until then, he had little or no religious training from me - a lapsed, "recovering" Catholic. When I found the UB, I was so happy to have found something I felt was worthwhile to pass on to him, and wished with all my heart that I had found it earlier. He seemed to take to it right away, although he was still quite young. He could see that I changed due to the book, and I know that made an impression on him - and still does. As the book says, children are impressed by the loyalties of their adult associates, or words to that effect.

When he was about 17-18 years-old, he told me that what he wanted to do most in life was to be married and have children. This was due to things he read in the book. By the time he was grown up, he had submitted to Catholic baptism in order to get married to his sweetheart, who was a Catholic. But I think he understood that it was trappings that he needed to do, for her comfort. She tolerated the book, but never took to it.

Now he is 45 years-old, has two grown children, and he still reads the UB and is pretty much fascinated by its intricacies and revelations. I am not sure of his spiritual connections, but I know his life is better for having the book in his life. He does know Jesus, and I think he recognizes that the UB contains a great deal of truth not found anywhere else.

There is no way I would have withheld the book from him. As said, I was so happy to finally have a philosophy and a source of what I felt was real truth to share with him. That is a parent's job - to guide the child in the way the parent feels is best for that child. That is why I never could bring myself to indoctrinate him in the Catholic Church, since I felt it was not true. But I did always tell him about Jesus, who always remained as the Truth for me. And so the UB was a real Godsend for both of us because of its emphasis on the true and original teachings of Jesus.

But I always just allowed him to have his own experience with the book...and answered questions and had discussions when he wanted.

BTW - Happy Fathers Day - to you, and all the dads out there!

PostPosted:  

That's a great story maryjo606.

I forgot to add in addition to my four reasons above that we readers need not baptize our children (as an infant or at the age of 8 ) to any group locking them in for life with rules and beliefs they could not possibly comprehend at a young age. Neither is there a fear of eternal punishment or this path being the ONLY way to salvation.

Last edited by William S. on Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:40 am +0000, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted:  

I so agree with this, William.

When my son was an infant, I did baptize him. Even though I was a lapsed Catholic, I still had the remnants of the Catholic indoctrination about the danger of not being baptized. The priest refused (!) to baptize him because I would not agree to raise him as a Catholic. So, I baptized him myself, praying to Jesus that he would not reject my little boy because of his faithless mother. It seems so sad now...and it was sad. That refusal by that priest forever sealed my distaste of the church. I thought it was just the ultimate in intolerance.

But, as I said above, my boy went ahead and got "officially" baptized again, before his marriage. Actually, I was very happy about that. I think if you're going to be baptized, you should know what it means, as you have pointed out. So, being baptized as an adult makes sense - if that's what you want to do.

But, as Jesus taught, we don't need water baptism once we have been baptized in the Spirit! GLORY! He loves us with, or without it.