Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:40 am +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next
PostPosted:  

I said encircuited not re-encircuited.

Agon D. Onter wrote:
Sure. It's the bolded part, below.

brooklyn_born wrote:
katroofjebus wrote:
I think the religion of Jesus has nothing at all to do with rites and rituals. He came to free man from having to rely on such things to find favor with God.

I never said or implied that it did. I said Pentecost is a Holiday and that man always has an opportunity to be encircuited at any point in his life when he chooses to repent. That is the meaning of Pentecost (Holiday).

Quote:
But here is my question: Isn't Pentecost about the Spirit of Truth?

Absolutely.

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted:  

brooklyn_born wrote:
I never said or implied that it did. I said Pentecost is a Holiday and that man always has an opportunity to be encircuited at any point in his life when he chooses to repent. That is the meaning of Pentecost (Holiday).

I don't think repentance is required for a Thought Adjuster. The only requirement I've read about is worship outreach and wisdom function exhibited by the ability to choose between good and evil. Of course one needs to act on that choice, and that brings the Holy Spirit followed by the Adjuster. But that's all it takes since Pentecost.

(1187.1) 108:2.2 The Adjusters cannot invade the mortal mind until it has been duly prepared by the indwelling ministry of the adjutant mind-spirits and encircuited in the Holy Spirit. And it requires the co-ordinate function of all seven adjutants to thus qualify the human mind for the reception of an Adjuster. Creature mind must exhibit the worship outreach and indicate wisdom function by exhibiting the ability to choose between the emerging values of good and evil — moral choice.

Pentecost was the last day of a harvest festival, the Feast of Weeks, designed for thanksgiving for first fruits. Additionally it was a time for baptism and the fellowshipping of non-Jews who wanted to worship Yahweh, the proselytes of the gate. Baptism was primarily a purification and sanctification ritual. It was a festival, a celebration, a happy time.

Quote:
Leviticus 23:15-22

15 And you shall count for yourselves from the day after the Sabbath, from the day that you brought the sheaf of the wave offering: seven Sabbaths shall be completed. 16 Count fifty days to the day after the seventh Sabbath; then you shall offer a new grain offering to the LORD. 17 You shall bring from your dwellings two wave loaves of two-tenths of an ephah. They shall be of fine flour; they shall be baked with leaven. They are the firstfruits to the LORD. 18 And you shall offer with the bread seven lambs of the first year, without blemish, one young bull, and two rams. They shall be as a burnt offering to the LORD, with their grain offering and their drink offerings, an offering made by fire for a sweet aroma to the LORD. 19 Then you shall sacrifice one kid of the goats as a sin offering, and two male lambs of the first year as a sacrifice of a peace offering. 20 The priest shall wave them with the bread of the firstfruits as a wave offering before the LORD, with the two lambs. They shall be holy to the LORD for the priest. 21 And you shall proclaim on the same day that it is a holy convocation to you. You shall do no customary work on it. It shall be a statute forever in all your dwellings throughout your generations. 22 When you reap the harvest of your land, you shall not wholly reap the corners of your field when you reap, nor shall you gather any gleaning from your harvest. You shall leave them for the poor and for the stranger: I am the LORD your God.

(2060.5) 194:1.5 Pentecost was the great festival of baptism, the time for fellowshipping the proselytes of the gate, those gentiles who desired to serve Yahweh.

PostPosted:  

worship is repentance; the two go hand in hand. without repentance there is absolutely no worship.

katroofjebus wrote:
brooklyn_born wrote:

I don't think repentance is required for a Thought Adjuster. The only requirement I've read about is worship outreach and wisdom function exhibited by the ability to choose between good and evil. Of course one needs to act on that choice, and that brings the Holy Spirit followed by the Adjuster. But that's all it takes since Pentecost.

(1187.1) 108:2.2 The Adjusters cannot invade the mortal mind until it has been duly prepared by the indwelling ministry of the adjutant mind-spirits and encircuited in the Holy Spirit. And it requires the co-ordinate function of all seven adjutants to thus qualify the human mind for the reception of an Adjuster. Creature mind must exhibit the worship outreach and indicate wisdom function by exhibiting the ability to choose between the emerging values of good and evil — moral choice.

Pentecost was the last day of a harvest festival, the Feast of Weeks, designed for thanksgiving for first fruits. Additionally it was a time for baptism and the fellowshipping of non-Jews who wanted to worship Yahweh, the proselytes of the gate. Baptism was primarily a purification and sanctification ritual. It was a festival, a celebration, a happy time.

Quote:
Leviticus 23:15-22

15 And you shall count for yourselves from the day after the Sabbath, from the day that you brought the sheaf of the wave offering: seven Sabbaths shall be completed. 16 Count fifty days to the day after the seventh Sabbath; then you shall offer a new grain offering to the LORD. 17 You shall bring from your dwellings two wave loaves of two-tenths of an ephah. They shall be of fine flour; they shall be baked with leaven. They are the firstfruits to the LORD. 18 And you shall offer with the bread seven lambs of the first year, without blemish, one young bull, and two rams. They shall be as a burnt offering to the LORD, with their grain offering and their drink offerings, an offering made by fire for a sweet aroma to the LORD. 19 Then you shall sacrifice one kid of the goats as a sin offering, and two male lambs of the first year as a sacrifice of a peace offering. 20 The priest shall wave them with the bread of the firstfruits as a wave offering before the LORD, with the two lambs. They shall be holy to the LORD for the priest. 21 And you shall proclaim on the same day that it is a holy convocation to you. You shall do no customary work on it. It shall be a statute forever in all your dwellings throughout your generations. 22 When you reap the harvest of your land, you shall not wholly reap the corners of your field when you reap, nor shall you gather any gleaning from your harvest. You shall leave them for the poor and for the stranger: I am the LORD your God.

(2060.5) 194:1.5 Pentecost was the great festival of baptism, the time for fellowshipping the proselytes of the gate, those gentiles who desired to serve Yahweh.

PostPosted:  

brooklyn_born wrote:
I said encircuited not re-encircuited.

Agon D. Onter wrote:
Sure. It's the bolded part, below.

BB, let me explain.

1) If a human is capable of having a TA (their mind functions properly), they always receive it in childhood, around the time of their first moral choice.
2) Prior to the first moral choice, one cannot do anything that requires repentance, because they don't know right from wrong yet (they are a child)
3) Therefore, it is incorrect to say that "man always has an opportunity to be encircuited". They only get a TA in childhood or not at all.
4) Furthermore, "... at any point in his life when he chooses to repent" implies that a person receives a TA after doing something that requires repentance (is no longer a child/ thereby, they must be adult). That is simply not true. The UB does not teach that.

I would love to see a UB reference from which you somehow interpreted it to mean that an adult, who has done some bad things, can receive a TA after they repent of those things. Please, do show.

Furthermore, as others have pointed out on this thread, repentance is not necessary to receive (or keep) a Thought Adjuster. God forgives us before we even ask for it. Or so UB teaches.

PostPosted:  

Agon D. Onter wrote:

BB, let me explain.

1) If a human is capable of having a TA (their mind functions properly), they always receive it in childhood, around the time of their first moral choice.

Not necessarily. We are told that children who die when too young to have a Thought Adjuster are repersonalized on the finaliter word of the local systems. Interestingly adults are referred to as "Children of God" in TUB. Further, age of adulthood has changed over time; the legal age of adulthood in historical times was different to what is legally considered an adult today. When I read the revelation I don't only see it as literal material age. I see it as intellectual, spiritual and moral age. A physical adult can have the spiritual nature of a child.

Quote:
2) Prior to the first moral choice, one cannot do anything that requires repentance, because they don't know right from wrong yet (they are a child)

See explanation above.

Quote:
3) Therefore, it is incorrect to say that "man always has an opportunity to be encircuited". They only get a TA in childhood or not at all.

I disagree and gave you the example of a rapist and murderer in a previous reply. People like that are not indwelt until they come to repentance.

Quote:
4) Furthermore, "... at any point in his life when he chooses to repent" implies that a person receives a TA after doing something that requires repentance (is no longer a child/ thereby, they must be adult). That is simply not true. The UB does not teach that.

If you interpret age in terms of moral, spiritual, intellectual and not just material (physical) then yes, you can receive TA at a later time in life. TAs are able to discern the nature of a person's mind at an early age. I think they can see if a child is not prepared to be indwelt early in their life based on their genetic make up. There are scientific studies out which show a correlation between antisocial behavior genetic predisposition.

Quote:
I would love to see a UB reference from which you somehow interpreted it to mean that an adult, who has done some bad things, can receive a TA after they repent of those things. Please, do show.

Here is one :

Quote:
53:8.8 (610.4) But even so, no fallen spirit ever did have the power to invade the minds or to harass the souls of the children of God. Neither Satan nor Caligastia could ever touch or approach the faith sons of God; faith is an effective armor against sin and iniquity. It is true: “He who is born of God keeps himself, and the wicked one touches him not.”

Grown adults are called "children." Children has more than one meaning.

PostPosted:  

Wow. I give up. What a bizarre perspective.

PostPosted:  

brooklyn_born wrote:
worship is repentance; the two go hand in hand. without repentance there is absolutely no worship.

I think what you're describing is a feature of evolutionary religion, but revelatory religion describes worship differently. True worship has no self-element in it whatsoever. Repentance is a matter of personal interest so it qualifies as a prayer. Worship is the son's expression of the joy at the recognition of a loving Father.

(65.5) 5:3.3 Worship is for its own sake; prayer embodies a self- or creature-interest element; that is the great difference between worship and prayer. There is absolutely no self-request or other element of personal interest in true worship; we simply worship God for what we comprehend him to be. Worship asks nothing and expects nothing for the worshiper. We do not worship the Father because of anything we may derive from such veneration; we render such devotion and engage in such worship as a natural and spontaneous reaction to the recognition of the Father’s matchless personality and because of his lovable nature and adorable attributes.

(303.5) 27:7.1 Worship is the highest privilege and the first duty of all created intelligences. Worship is the conscious and joyous act of recognizing and acknowledging the truth and fact of the intimate and personal relationships of the Creators with their creatures. The quality of worship is determined by the depth of creature perception; and as the knowledge of the infinite character of the Gods progresses, the act of worship becomes increasingly all-encompassing until it eventually attains the glory of the highest experiential delight and the most exquisite pleasure known to created beings.

PostPosted:  

Did Jesus preach repentance, katroofjebus?

katroofjebus wrote:
brooklyn_born wrote:

I think what you're describing is a feature of evolutionary religion, but revelatory religion describes worship differently. True worship has no self-element in it whatsoever. Repentance is a matter of personal interest so it qualifies as a prayer. Worship is the son's expression of the joy at the recognition of a loving Father.

(65.5) 5:3.3 Worship is for its own sake; prayer embodies a self- or creature-interest element; that is the great difference between worship and prayer. There is absolutely no self-request or other element of personal interest in true worship; we simply worship God for what we comprehend him to be. Worship asks nothing and expects nothing for the worshiper. We do not worship the Father because of anything we may derive from such veneration; we render such devotion and engage in such worship as a natural and spontaneous reaction to the recognition of the Father’s matchless personality and because of his lovable nature and adorable attributes.

(303.5) 27:7.1 Worship is the highest privilege and the first duty of all created intelligences. Worship is the conscious and joyous act of recognizing and acknowledging the truth and fact of the intimate and personal relationships of the Creators with their creatures. The quality of worship is determined by the depth of creature perception; and as the knowledge of the infinite character of the Gods progresses, the act of worship becomes increasingly all-encompassing until it eventually attains the glory of the highest experiential delight and the most exquisite pleasure known to created beings.

PostPosted:  

Agon D. Onter wrote:
Wow. I give up. What a bizarre perspective.

Okay.

PostPosted:  

brooklyn_born wrote:

Here is a great article on that topic. https://truthbook.com/blog/religious-ne ... nd-rebirth

Does Jesus advise repentance?

It is John the Baptist's message of repentance that has survived the centuries to inform subsequent believers what is needed to get right with God. His message: "Repent, for the kingdom is at hand!" inspired countless souls to seek God's grace. But when Jesus embarked on his public life, his message was somewhat different, emphasising faith more strongly than repentance - a most comforting message:

137:8.17 "John came preaching repentance to prepare you for the kingdom; now have I come proclaiming faith, the gift of God, as the price of entrance into the kingdom of heaven. If you would but believe that my Father loves you with an infinite love, then you are in the kingdom of God."

Nevertheless, he still honors the act of repentance:

159:1.2 "If a kindhearted man has a hundred sheep and one of them goes astray, does he not immediately leave the ninety and nine and go out in search of the one that has gone astray? And if he is a good shepherd, will he not keep up his quest for the lost sheep until he finds it? And then, when the shepherd has found his lost sheep, he lays it over his shoulder and, going home rejoicing, calls to his friends and neighbors, `Rejoice with me, for I have found my sheep that was lost.' I declare that there is more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety and nine righteous persons who need no repentance. Even so, it is not the will of my Father in heaven that one of these little ones should go astray, much less that they should perish. In your religion God may receive repentant sinners; in the gospel of the kingdom the Father goes forth to find them even before they have seriously thought of repentance.

"You have been taught that divine acceptance comes after your repentance and as a result of all your works of sacrifice and penitence, but I assure you that the Father accepts you even before you have repented and sends the Son and his associates to find you and bring you, with rejoicing, back to the fold, the kingdom of sonship and spiritual progress. You are all like sheep which have gone astray, and I have come to seek and to save those who are lost."

150:5.5 "You cannot buy salvation; you cannot earn righteousness. Salvation is the gift of God, and righteousness is the natural fruit of the spirit-born life of sonship in the kingdom. You are not to be saved because you live a righteous life; rather is it that you live a righteous life because you have already been saved, have recognized sonship as the gift of God and service in the kingdom as the supreme delight of life on earth. When men believe this gospel, which is a revelation of the goodness of God, they will be led to voluntary repentance of all known sin. Realization of sonship is incompatible with the desire to sin. Kingdom believers hunger for righteousness and thirst for divine perfection."

PostPosted:  

Jesus' own words on repentance:

Quote:
133:4.12 (1475.5) To the condemned criminal he said at the last hour: “My brother, you have fallen on evil times. You lost your way; you became entangled in the meshes of crime. From talking to you, I well know you did not plan to do the thing which is about to cost you your temporal life. But you did do this evil, and your fellows have adjudged you guilty; they have determined that you shall die. You or I may not deny the state this right of self-defense in the manner of its own choosing. There seems to be no way of humanly escaping the penalty of your wrongdoing. Your fellows must judge you by what you did, but there is a Judge to whom you may appeal for forgiveness, and who will judge you by your real motives and better intentions. You need not fear to meet the judgment of God if your repentance is genuine and your faith sincere. The fact that your error carries with it the death penalty imposed by man does not prejudice the chance of your soul to obtain justice and enjoy mercy before the heavenly courts.”

Agon D. Onter wrote:
brooklyn_born wrote:

Here is a great article on that topic. https://truthbook.com/blog/religious-ne ... nd-rebirth

Does Jesus advise repentance?

It is John the Baptist's message of repentance that has survived the centuries to inform subsequent believers what is needed to get right with God. His message: "Repent, for the kingdom is at hand!" inspired countless souls to seek God's grace. But when Jesus embarked on his public life, his message was somewhat different, emphasising faith more strongly than repentance - a most comforting message:

137:8.17 "John came preaching repentance to prepare you for the kingdom; now have I come proclaiming faith, the gift of God, as the price of entrance into the kingdom of heaven. If you would but believe that my Father loves you with an infinite love, then you are in the kingdom of God."

Nevertheless, he still honors the act of repentance:

159:1.2 "If a kindhearted man has a hundred sheep and one of them goes astray, does he not immediately leave the ninety and nine and go out in search of the one that has gone astray? And if he is a good shepherd, will he not keep up his quest for the lost sheep until he finds it? And then, when the shepherd has found his lost sheep, he lays it over his shoulder and, going home rejoicing, calls to his friends and neighbors, `Rejoice with me, for I have found my sheep that was lost.' I declare that there is more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety and nine righteous persons who need no repentance. Even so, it is not the will of my Father in heaven that one of these little ones should go astray, much less that they should perish. In your religion God may receive repentant sinners; in the gospel of the kingdom the Father goes forth to find them even before they have seriously thought of repentance.

"You have been taught that divine acceptance comes after your repentance and as a result of all your works of sacrifice and penitence, but I assure you that the Father accepts you even before you have repented and sends the Son and his associates to find you and bring you, with rejoicing, back to the fold, the kingdom of sonship and spiritual progress. You are all like sheep which have gone astray, and I have come to seek and to save those who are lost."

150:5.5 "You cannot buy salvation; you cannot earn righteousness. Salvation is the gift of God, and righteousness is the natural fruit of the spirit-born life of sonship in the kingdom. You are not to be saved because you live a righteous life; rather is it that you live a righteous life because you have already been saved, have recognized sonship as the gift of God and service in the kingdom as the supreme delight of life on earth. When men believe this gospel, which is a revelation of the goodness of God, they will be led to voluntary repentance of all known sin. Realization of sonship is incompatible with the desire to sin. Kingdom believers hunger for righteousness and thirst for divine perfection."

PostPosted:  

Jesus often mentioned repentance in order to be consistent and supportive of John the Baptist's teachings. Remember, Jesus taught and demonstrated that one should always ADD TO, not subtract from, others' beliefs.

While Jesus was supportive of John's preaching, at times when he had an audience who he knew were ready for his higher teaching, he would illustrate the difference between John's "repentance" and Jesus' concept of saving faith.

Quote:
Jesus made plain to his apostles the difference between the repentance of so-called good works as taught by the Jews and the change of mind by faith—the new birth—which he required as the price of admission to the kingdom. He taught his apostles that faith was the only requisite to entering the Father's kingdom. John had taught them "repentance—to flee from the wrath to come." Jesus taught, "Faith is the open door for entering into the present, perfect, and eternal love of God." Jesus did not speak like a prophet, one who comes to declare the word of God. He seemed to speak of himself as one having authority. Jesus sought to divert their minds from miracle seeking to the finding of a real and personal experience in the satisfaction and assurance of the indwelling of God's spirit of love and saving grace. ~ The Urantia Book, (138:8. 8 )

PostPosted:  

The doctrine of repentance was amplified or enlarged by Jesus. He tells the disciples there must be a "change" of mind which is by faith. Faith is not predicated on the physical body like the law is. Instead it is predicated on mind; faith requires or produces a change in one's mindset. Even more, faith is built on repentance as a change in mind logically leads to change in behavior. And this illustrates the superiority of faith over repentance of sin and the link between the two.

John was preaching salvation of the physical body which cannot literally be saved. Jesus preached salvation of soul and mind, which literally can be saved. At Pentecost, the spirit was poured upon all flesh of men who repented, but their repentance was based on faith, not the keeping of the law.

This is the enlarged meaning behind the Jewish Holiday, feast of weeks, which came to be known as Pentecost. Pentecost opened the gates of salvation to all, not just those who received the law. All that is required is faith or changing your way of thinking.

You cannot have the mind of a rapist and think to encircuit the HS and SoT. You cannot plot to kill someone for unjustified reasons and expect to encircuit the HS and SoT. You must repent that state of mind first to receive the gift of God which is the spiritual ministries.

Agon D. Onter wrote:
Jesus often mentioned repentance in order to be consistent and supportive of John the Baptist's teachings. Remember, Jesus taught and demonstrated that one should always ADD TO, not subtract from, others' beliefs.

While Jesus was supportive of John's preaching, at times when he had an audience who he knew were ready for his higher teaching, he would illustrate the difference between John's "repentance" and Jesus' concept of saving faith.

Quote:
Jesus made plain to his apostles the difference between the repentance of so-called good works as taught by the Jews and the change of mind by faith—the new birth—which he required as the price of admission to the kingdom. He taught his apostles that faith was the only requisite to entering the Father's kingdom. John had taught them "repentance—to flee from the wrath to come." Jesus taught, "Faith is the open door for entering into the present, perfect, and eternal love of God." Jesus did not speak like a prophet, one who comes to declare the word of God. He seemed to speak of himself as one having authority. Jesus sought to divert their minds from miracle seeking to the finding of a real and personal experience in the satisfaction and assurance of the indwelling of God's spirit of love and saving grace. ~ The Urantia Book, (138:8. 8 )

PostPosted:  

brooklyn_born wrote:
Agon D. Onter wrote:

BB, let me explain.

Not necessarily. We are told that children who die when too young to have a Thought Adjuster are repersonalized on the finaliter word of the local systems. Interestingly adults are referred to as "Children of God" in TUB. Further, age of adulthood has changed over time; the legal age of adulthood in historical times was different to what is legally considered an adult today. When I read the revelation I don't only see it as literal material age. I see it as intellectual, spiritual and moral age. A physical adult can have the spiritual nature of a child.

Quote:

See explanation above.

Quote:

I disagree and gave you the example of a rapist and murderer in a previous reply. People like that are not indwelt until they come to repentance.

Quote:

If you interpret age in terms of moral, spiritual, intellectual and not just material (physical) then yes, you can receive TA at a later time in life. TAs are able to discern the nature of a person's mind at an early age. I think they can see if a child is not prepared to be indwelt early in their life based on their genetic make up. There are scientific studies out which show a correlation between antisocial behavior genetic predisposition.

Quote:

Here is one :

Quote:
53:8.8 (610.4) But even so, no fallen spirit ever did have the power to invade the minds or to harass the souls of the children of God. Neither Satan nor Caligastia could ever touch or approach the faith sons of God; faith is an effective armor against sin and iniquity. It is true: “He who is born of God keeps himself, and the wicked one touches him not.”

BB says above: "I disagree and gave you the example of a rapist and murderer in a previous reply. People like that are not indwelt until they come to repentance. "

Who says so? You? Please provide text which describes who does not have a TA besides the subnormal minded - a condition at birth that does not change. You are claiming here that this person has lost their TA. You are also claiming mortal sins exist that drive off the TA. None of that comes from the UB....merely your opinions. What and who are "people like that"?

The UB is so very precise as to the average age a child receives their TA on our world. It is not complicated or confusing. The age of adulthood is irrelevant to the discussion, the age of the TA arrival is around 6 and has been for 2000 years...it is not a function of life expectancy or reproductive age (which has not changed significantly over time). Children "who die too young" are newborns to those age 5+ who have not reached the age of reception - between 5-7 with some outliers younger and older but not significantly.

I don't think many people "lose" their TA in this brief life. I've always wondered who might not receive one though. I've decided that perhaps it those sociopaths who never experience empathy or a social conscience of any sort - no love, no altruism, no guilt, no remorse. Again, a real short list.

The idea of having, losing, and getting another TA is certainly a contradiction of the UB in any case.

PostPosted:  

You just answered the question. SUBNORMAL MIND.

fanofVan wrote:
brooklyn_born wrote:
Agon D. Onter wrote:

BB, let me explain.

Quote:

See explanation above.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Here is one :

Quote:

BB says above: "I disagree and gave you the example of a rapist and murderer in a previous reply. People like that are not indwelt until they come to repentance. "

Who says so? You? Please provide text which describes who does not have a TA besides the subnormal minded - a condition at birth that does not change. You are claiming here that this person has lost their TA. You are also claiming mortal sins exist that drive off the TA. None of that comes from the UB....merely your opinions. What and who are "people like that"?

The UB is so very precise as to the average age a child receives their TA on our world. It is not complicated or confusing. The age of adulthood is irrelevant to the discussion, the age of the TA arrival is around 6 and has been for 2000 years...it is not a function of life expectancy or reproductive age (which has not changed significantly over time). Children "who die too young" are newborns to those age 5+ who have not reached the age of reception - between 5-7 with some outliers younger and older but not significantly.

I don't think many people "lose" their TA in this brief life. I've always wondered who might not receive one though. I've decided that perhaps it those sociopaths who never experience empathy or a social conscience of any sort - no love, no altruism, no guilt, no remorse. Again, a real short list.

The idea of having, losing, and getting another TA is certainly a contradiction of the UB in any case.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next