Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:49 pm +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted:  

I might be writing this prematurely, but I am now on Paper 24 (started with the forward!) and so far I have not noticed any descriptions of the appearances of any of the celestial entities (alternatively I could say beings or characters). Apart from perhaps the Paradise Sons, I use my imagination to visualize all the entities as dots/orbs of light or fireflies seen from afar especially the thought adjusters. Some are larger than others. I see these dots of light travel across vast distances of space as there so far is no description of spaceships.

The only other visualization that comes to mind when reading the book is countless planets covered with mansions and palaces with pools and gardens.

Of course that is just the image in my mind. I would imagine most of the celestial entities take on the image of the mortals of the inhabited worlds. If that were the case, other than us human beings, do you visualize the inhabitants of the other worlds looking like the creatures of Star Trek and Star Wars?

I understand that it is irrelevant to the teachings of the book and I've read on more than one occasion in the papers that there are certain things than mortals cannot comprehend and truths that we are not entitled to know at the present time. However I cannot help but let my imagination run wild!

If anything will be clarified for me in later papers, tell me about it.

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted:  

We learn in paper 38 that angels do not have physical bodies; but in paper 39, there is somewhat of a description of angels.

Quote:
“The erroneous idea that angels possess wings is not wholly due to olden notions that they must have wings to fly through the air. Human beings have sometimes been permitted to observe seraphim that were being prepared for transport service, and the traditions of these experiences have largely determined the Urantian concept of angels. In observing a transport seraphim being made ready to receive a passenger for interplanetary transit, there may be seen what are apparently double sets of wings extending from the head to the foot of the angel. In reality these wings are energy insulators—friction shields.” (438.5) 39:5.12

As to the other types of celestial beings, I, personally, have not thought of them in physical form. They have a shape and a presence in my mind, but I would not be able to describe it or characterize height, head shape, body size, or anything like that.

I agree it is fun, though, to try to imagine the physical appearance of these beneficent beings.

PostPosted:  

William, there's this:

39:5.11 (438.4) Your conventional idea of angels has been derived in the following way: During moments just prior to physical death a reflective phenomenon sometimes occurs in the human mind, and this dimming consciousness seems to visualize something of the form of the attending angel, and this is immediately translated into terms of the habitual concept of angels held in that individual’s mind.

And this:

47:1.2 (530.6) Though the finaliter world is a sphere of exquisite physical beauty and extraordinary morontia embellishment, the great spirit abode located at the center of activities, the temple of the finaliters, is not visible to the unaided material or early morontia vision. But the energy transformers are able to visualize many of these realities to ascending mortals, and from time to time they do thus function, as on the occasions of the class assemblies of the mansion world students on this cultural sphere.

47:1.3 (531.1) All through the mansion world experience you are in a way spiritually aware of the presence of your glorified brethren of Paradise attainment, but it is very refreshing, now and then, actually to perceive them as they function in their headquarters abodes. You will not spontaneously visualize finaliters until you acquire true spirit vision.

PostPosted:  

Let me add that us ascending mortals are or will be the only beings in all the universe of universes who will be able to actually see ALL other beings of every phase of spirit, morontial, and material origin. An example of the last being first? Not all celestials of morontia form can see all spirit beings and not all spirit beings can perceive material beings...but material born ascenders who achieve finaliter status will perceive all beings everywhere due to our unique origins and destiny ascension.

There are some readers who have drawn or painted their own renderings of celestial beings...but I would suggest your own imagined in mind are probably superior in form and function. The sheer number of beings revealed and all the activity in the vastness of the universes is a wonderful portrayal of grandness of God and creation.

PostPosted:  

Not trying to change subject, just pointing out how the authors many times especially in parts 1 and 2 try to give us technique to gain a vision/appreciation of the spirit world from our material world perspective. We cannot do this visualization with our senses but certainly our mind can be used.
Paper 44 is one of my favorites, it’s about celestial artists and the author of the paper works hard to help us visualize what these artists do which and this technique can be used to visualize these spirit beings as well. Think about this quote clipped from paper 44-

From paper 44:7 If I had the least possible basis for comparison, I would attempt to portray this unique field of spirit achievement, but I despair — there is no hope of conveying to mortal minds this sphere of celestial artistry. Nevertheless, that which cannot be described may still be implied:

And implied is the key to helping us gain that vision or appreciation of spirit activities beyond our senses and maybe even beings.
And implied is what this author does. I’d suggest reading the paper.
The authors of many of these papers understand our need to have a more logical and realistic appreciation of spirit realities and they make much effort to help us gain it.
They want to help us take away the magic and mysticism that we deal with when it comes to this.

PostPosted:  

So wings are really A double set of friction shields extending from the head to the toe before seraphim are engaged in interplanetary transport presumably of sleeping survivors? Why do we still call this "wings"? How is the pattern of the shield therein mentioned similar to a bird's wing? A wing that enfolds? A wing-shape in its curvature? Is this like the curvature of a donut, an apple or a torus ring in UB 39?

We are told more of the function of seraphim rather than their appearances, and so I relate that if I may effectively employ the higher set of my human emotions and behavioural capacities* (UB 38:2.2), I might create the chance to adopt some of the actual functions of seraphim, learn to cooperate. However what is more effective in diligence, the fantastic forecast of the appearances of such creature as sanobim and cherub or rather learning to be like Jesus who did cooperate with all laws of every nation.

38:2.2 Though seraphim are very affectionate and sympathetic beings, they are not sex-emotion creatures.

PostPosted:  

rick warren wrote:
William, there's this:

39:5.11 (438.4) Your conventional idea of angels has been derived in the following way: During moments just prior to physical death a reflective phenomenon sometimes occurs in the human mind, and this dimming consciousness seems to visualize something of the form of the attending angel, and this is immediately translated into terms of the habitual concept of angels held in that individual’s mind.

And this:

47:1.2 (530.6) Though the finaliter world is a sphere of exquisite physical beauty and extraordinary morontia embellishment, the great spirit abode located at the center of activities, the temple of the finaliters, is not visible to the unaided material or early morontia vision. But the energy transformers are able to visualize many of these realities to ascending mortals, and from time to time they do thus function, as on the occasions of the class assemblies of the mansion world students on this cultural sphere.

47:1.3 (531.1) All through the mansion world experience you are in a way spiritually aware of the presence of your glorified brethren of Paradise attainment, but it is very refreshing, now and then, actually to perceive them as they function in their headquarters abodes. You will not spontaneously visualize finaliters until you acquire true spirit vision.

The mansion world that orbit the finaliter world have many transport angels that take ascenders to visit the finaliter world so mortals can get a glimpse of the future?
Why do you suppose this is the case? Faith retention?
Possibly its because of the ease that new morontia students can be turned to iniquity?
Anyway, transport angels wings do protect from friction and dont this make you consider what else is happening as well as friction? These wings must have some sort of inertial dampening for angel and transportee, dont you think? All are subject to gravity, no?

PostPosted:  

There is another way the revelation helps us visualize spirit realities.
Think about how we respond to words, take the word value for example: the vast majority of us think about what is on sale at the mall or grocery store.
Try using the word search engine for the Urantia book and search for the word value and do some reading.
You will get a good taste of how our thinking is so closely tied to and conditioned by the material creation that we exist in.
Value is really a spiritual word and we need to consider how it’s used.

PostPosted:  

I'm now on paper 36 (I'm a slow reader also reading other books) so I'm getting close to that important paper 39.

But getting back to my original statement that the celestial entities take on the form of the beings of the inhabited mortal worlds, I still want to know if UB readers think the other inhabited worlds have creatures that look like the extra-terrestrials from television and films. I'm thinking more than two eyes, green or blue skin, horns and tentacles! Perhaps that is why we are not ready to see the celestial entities. Because we would see bizarre looking aliens that would appear as demons to us. Only when our state of spiritual awareness is in its right state would that shock factor go away.

OR (and here is a claim not in the book), the celestial entities take on the image of humans for the eyes of JUST us Urantians. Inhabitants of other world will perceive them in different forms.

PostPosted:  

i don't think morontia and spiritual creatures are within our normal range of vision...perhaps occasionally perceived during spiritual experience but still impossible to accurately describe in human terms afterwards? i think the secondary midwayers can make themselves visible and i suspect they look something like the little green/grey ufo peoples in popular culture...but i could be completely wrong about that.

anyway i think it's important to realize that mind (and spirit) always has the ability to make a suitable body and does so. section regarding that and celestial forms is here:

Quote:
42:12.9 (483.9) Mind is always creative. The mind endowment of an individual animal, mortal, morontian, spirit ascender, or finality attainer is always competent to produce a suitable and serviceable body for the living creature identity. But the presence phenomenon of a personality or the pattern of an identity, as such, is not a manifestation of energy, either physical, mindal, or spiritual. The personality form is the pattern aspect of a living being; it connotes the arrangement of energies, and this, plus life and motion, is the mechanism of creature existence.

42:12.10 (483.10) Even spirit beings have form, and these spirit forms (patterns) are real. Even the highest type of spirit personalities have forms—personality presences in every sense analogous to Urantia mortal bodies. Nearly all beings encountered in the seven superuniverses are possessed of forms. But there are a few exceptions to this general rule: Thought Adjusters appear to be without form until after fusion with the surviving souls of their mortal associates. Solitary Messengers, Inspired Trinity Spirits, Personal Aids of the Infinite Spirit, Gravity Messengers, Transcendental Recorders, and certain others are also without discoverable form. But these are typical of the exceptional few; the great majority have bona fide personality forms, forms which are individually characteristic, and which are recognizable and personally distinguishable.

42:12.11 (483.11) The liaison of the cosmic mind and the ministry of the adjutant mind-spirits evolve a suitable physical tabernacle for the evolving human being. Likewise does the morontia mind individualize the morontia form for all mortal survivors. As the mortal body is personal and characteristic for every human being, so will the morontia form be highly individual and adequately characteristic of the creative mind which dominates it. No two morontia forms are any more alike than any two human bodies. The Morontia Power Supervisors sponsor, and the attending seraphim provide, the undifferentiated morontia material wherewith the morontia life can begin to work. And after the morontia life it will be found that spirit forms are equally diverse, personal, and characteristic of their respective spirit-mind indwellers.

42:12.12 (483.12) On a material world you think of a body as having a spirit, but we regard the spirit as having a body. The material eyes are truly the windows of the spirit-born soul. The spirit is the architect, the mind is the builder, the body is the material building.

42:12.13 (484.1) Physical, spiritual, and mindal energies, as such and in their pure states, do not fully interact as actuals of the phenomenal universes. On Paradise the three energies are co-ordinate, in Havona co-ordinated, while in the universe levels of finite activities there must be encountered all ranges of material, mindal, and spiritual dominance. In nonpersonal situations of time and space, physical energy seems to predominate, but it also appears that the more nearly spirit-mind function approaches divinity of purpose and supremacy of action, the more nearly does the spirit phase become dominant; that on the ultimate level spirit-mind may become all but completely dominant. On the absolute level spirit certainly is dominant. And from there on out through the realms of time and space, wherever a divine spirit reality is present, whenever a real spirit-mind is functioning, there always tends to be produced a material or physical counterpart of that spirit reality.

42:12.14 (484.2) The spirit is the creative reality; the physical counterpart is the time-space reflection of the spirit reality, the physical repercussion of the creative action of spirit-mind.

info here regarding the evolutionary life form types of other mortal worlds:

Quote:
2. Planetary Physical Types

49:2.1 (560.7) There is a standard and basic pattern of vegetable and animal life in each system. But the Life Carriers are oftentimes confronted with the necessity of modifying these basic patterns to conform to the varying physical conditions which confront them on numerous worlds of space. They foster a generalized system type of mortal creature, but there are seven distinct physical types as well as thousands upon thousands of minor variants of these seven outstanding differentiations:

49:2.2 (561.1) 1. Atmospheric types.

49:2.3 (561.2) 2. Elemental types.

49:2.4 (561.3) 3. Gravity types.

49:2.5 (561.4) 4. Temperature types.

49:2.6 (561.5) 5. Electric types.

49:2.7 (561.6) 6. Energizing types.

49:2.8 (561.7) 7. Unnamed types.

49:2.9 (561.8) The Satania system contains all of these types and numerous intermediate groups, although some are very sparingly represented.

49:2.10 (561.9) 1. The atmospheric types. The physical differences of the worlds of mortal habitation are chiefly determined by the nature of the atmosphere; other influences which contribute to the planetary differentiation of life are relatively minor.

49:2.11 (561.10) The present atmospheric status of Urantia is almost ideal for the support of the breathing type of man, but the human type can be so modified that it can live on both the superatmospheric and the subatmospheric planets. Such modifications also extend to the animal life, which differs greatly on the various inhabited spheres. There is a very great modification of animal orders on both the sub- and the superatmospheric worlds.

49:2.12 (561.11) Of the atmospheric types in Satania, about two and one-half per cent are subbreathers, about five per cent superbreathers, and over ninety-one per cent are mid-breathers, altogether accounting for ninety-eight and one-half per cent of the Satania worlds.

49:2.13 (561.12) Beings such as the Urantia races are classified as mid-breathers; you represent the average or typical breathing order of mortal existence. If intelligent creatures should exist on a planet with an atmosphere similar to that of your near neighbor, Venus, they would belong to the superbreather group, while those inhabiting a planet with an atmosphere as thin as that of your outer neighbor, Mars, would be denominated subbreathers.

49:2.14 (561.13) If mortals should inhabit a planet devoid of air, like your moon, they would belong to the separate order of nonbreathers. This type represents a radical or extreme adjustment to the planetary environment and is separately considered. Nonbreathers account for the remaining one and one-half per cent of Satania worlds.

49:2.15 (561.14) 2. The elemental types. These differentiations have to do with the relation of mortals to water, air, and land, and there are four distinct species of intelligent life as they are related to these habitats. The Urantia races are of the land order.

49:2.16 (561.15) It is quite impossible for you to envisage the environment which prevails during the early ages of some worlds. These unusual conditions make it necessary for the evolving animal life to remain in its marine nursery habitat for longer periods than on those planets which very early provide a hospitable land-and-atmosphere environment. Conversely, on some worlds of the superbreathers, when the planet is not too large, it is sometimes expedient to provide for a mortal type which can readily negotiate atmospheric passage. These air navigators sometimes intervene between the water and land groups, and they always live in a measure upon the ground, eventually evolving into land dwellers. But on some worlds, for ages they continue to fly even after they have become land-type beings.

49:2.17 (562.1) It is both amazing and amusing to observe the early civilization of a primitive race of human beings taking shape, in one case, in the air and treetops and, in another, midst the shallow waters of sheltered tropic basins, as well as on the bottom, sides, and shores of these marine gardens of the dawn races of such extraordinary spheres. Even on Urantia there was a long age during which primitive man preserved himself and advanced his primitive civilization by living for the most part in the treetops as did his earlier arboreal ancestors. And on Urantia you still have a group of diminutive mammals (the bat family) that are air navigators, and your seals and whales, of marine habitat, are also of the mammalian order.

49:2.18 (562.2) In Satania, of the elemental types, seven per cent are water, ten per cent air, seventy per cent land, and thirteen per cent combined land-and-air types. But these modifications of early intelligent creatures are neither human fishes nor human birds. They are of the human and prehuman types, neither superfishes nor glorified birds but distinctly mortal.

49:2.19 (562.3) 3. The gravity types. By modification of creative design, intelligent beings are so constructed that they can freely function on spheres both smaller and larger than Urantia, thus being, in measure, accommodated to the gravity of those planets which are not of ideal size and density.

49:2.20 (562.4) The various planetary types of mortals vary in height, the average in Nebadon being a trifle under seven feet. Some of the larger worlds are peopled with beings who are only about two and one-half feet in height. Mortal stature ranges from here on up through the average heights on the average-sized planets to around ten feet on the smaller inhabited spheres. In Satania there is only one race under four feet in height. Twenty per cent of the Satania inhabited worlds are peopled with mortals of the modified gravity types occupying the larger and the smaller planets.

49:2.21 (562.5) 4. The temperature types. It is possible to create living beings who can withstand temperatures both much higher and much lower than the life range of the Urantia races. There are five distinct orders of beings as they are classified with reference to heat-regulating mechanisms. In this scale the Urantia races are number three. Thirty per cent of Satania worlds are peopled with races of modified temperature types. Twelve per cent belong to the higher temperature ranges, eighteen per cent to the lower, as compared with Urantians, who function in the mid-temperature group.

49:2.22 (562.6) 5. The electric types. The electric, magnetic, and electronic behavior of the worlds varies greatly. There are ten designs of mortal life variously fashioned to withstand the differential energy of the spheres. These ten varieties also react in slightly different ways to the chemical rays of ordinary sunlight. But these slight physical variations in no way affect the intellectual or the spiritual life.

49:2.23 (562.7) Of the electric groupings of mortal life, almost twenty-three per cent belong to class number four, the Urantia type of existence. These types are distributed as follows: number 1, one per cent; number 2, two per cent; number 3, five per cent; number 4, twenty-three per cent; number 5, twenty-seven per cent; number 6, twenty-four per cent; number 7, eight per cent; number 8, five per cent; number 9, three per cent; number 10, two per cent—in whole percentages.

49:2.24 (563.1) 6. The energizing types. Not all worlds are alike in the manner of taking in energy. Not all inhabited worlds have an atmospheric ocean suited to respiratory exchange of gases, such as is present on Urantia. During the earlier and the later stages of many planets, beings of your present order could not exist; and when the respiratory factors of a planet are very high or very low, but when all other prerequisites to intelligent life are adequate, the Life Carriers often establish on such worlds a modified form of mortal existence, beings who are competent to effect their life-process exchanges directly by means of light-energy and the firsthand power transmutations of the Master Physical Controllers.

49:2.25 (563.2) There are six differing types of animal and mortal nutrition: The subbreathers employ the first type of nutrition, the marine dwellers the second, the mid-breathers the third, as on Urantia. The superbreathers employ the fourth type of energy intake, while the nonbreathers utilize the fifth order of nutrition and energy. The sixth technique of energizing is limited to the midway creatures.

49:2.26 (563.3) 7. The unnamed types. There are numerous additional physical variations in planetary life, but all of these differences are wholly matters of anatomical modification, physiologic differentiation, and electrochemical adjustment. Such distinctions do not concern the intellectual or the spiritual life.

i think a "star wars bar scene" could easily be constructed from the above and much more than we can imagine.

PostPosted:  

I completely agree with Makalu!! "i think a "star wars bar scene" could easily be constructed from the above and much more than we can imagine."

I don't think they'll look anything like our 50's-60's pale, big eyed aliens. I would say not likely to horns and tentacles and bug eyes and antennae, etc. Variety will be vast - but upright bipedal is the norm we are told.

All will be evolved from the planetary animal life forms of the home world but not animalistic I don't think. You wouldn't have any trouble picking out the human/mortals of any world I don't think. I think gravity and brain type and diet and sunshine and atmosphere exposures will play major functional roles in features and attributes.

I don't think celestials will have such physical differences in types because they do not have the variables in gravity, sunshine, diet, atmosphere, etc. And yes, I think all celestial appearances are consistent regardless of mortal species differences. I do wonder about our Morontia bodies though as mortal survivors and ascenders - I think significant differences will still be apparent from world of origin and changes from original human body types will be less significant when we arise from our slumber....I don't think our own transformation will be THAT shocking but remain more familiar. So the Mansion Worlds will retain great variety I think with all differences slowly diminishing over time and transitions to come.

8)

PostPosted:  

fanofVan wrote:
I completely agree with Makalu!! "i think a "star wars bar scene" could easily be constructed from the above and much more than we can imagine."

I don't think they'll look anything like our 50's-60's pale, big eyed aliens. I would say not likely to horns and tentacles and bug eyes and antennae, etc. Variety will be vast - but upright bipedal is the norm we are told.

All will be evolved from the planetary animal life forms of the home world but not animalistic I don't think. You wouldn't have any trouble picking out the human/mortals of any world I don't think. I think gravity and brain type and diet and sunshine and atmosphere exposures will play major functional roles in features and attributes.

I don't think celestials will have such physical differences in types because they do not have the variables in gravity, sunshine, diet, atmosphere, etc. And yes, I think all celestial appearances are consistent regardless of mortal species differences. I do wonder about our Morontia bodies though as mortal survivors and ascenders - I think significant differences will still be apparent from world of origin and changes from original human body types will be less significant when we arise from our slumber....I don't think our own transformation will be THAT shocking but remain more familiar. So the Mansion Worlds will retain great variety I think with all differences slowly diminishing over time and transitions to come.

8)

But the Star Wars bar types were all enjoying oxygen I imagine. Didn’t see a non-breather from a planet lacking atmospheric protections.
Can you visualize that one? Maybe a lump of moving coal with consistency of the blob that has that unmistakable human essence?

PostPosted:  

Have you ever thought about how seraphim may be able to assume the likeness of a human identity? But seraphim are much more than human personalities.

As many nations, I see the incorporation of traits from animals, "the way of the turtle", as a sacred task of personal understanding. I want to have personal contact with every kind of animal, to see what a fully grown representation of that one is truly like, in the ecosystem rather than an isolative zoo. In the same way as I once heard a protestant minister exclaim "the catholic church must not perish", I also believe in a dual respect: should the totals of turtles and the types and variety of each turtle should maintained and replenishing, and the knowledge of such creatures should be maintained through healthy interaction between humans as caretakers of every living creature.

As a human, I think it is okay to children to identify with the life within other creatures. How can I explain this self-perception without embarassing myself or blaming/accusing others: "we are like animals to the seraphim." Sorry. If they look at us as cows, and we at they as ascended beings, then I accept this because I love seraphim.

Last edited by SEla_Kelly on Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:09 am +0000, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted:  

well yeah i did forget about Gabriel appearing to Mary and Elizabeth and also the three apostles that were given a vision of gabe and father melchizedek by some action of the physical controllers:

Quote:
158:1.8 (1753.4) When the three had been fast asleep for about half an hour, they were suddenly awakened by a near-by crackling sound, and much to their amazement and consternation, on looking about them, they beheld Jesus in intimate converse with two brilliant beings clothed in the habiliments of the light of the celestial world. And Jesus’ face and form shone with the luminosity of a heavenly light. These three conversed in a strange language, but from certain things said, Peter erroneously conjectured that the beings with Jesus were Moses and Elijah; in reality, they were Gabriel and the Father Melchizedek. The physical controllers had arranged for the apostles to witness this scene because of Jesus’ request.

that extended range of vision is the norm on a planet settled in Light & Life too....but it probably still evolves over generations and becomes available individually...i dont think it's just universally bestowed upon all at one point in time.

PostPosted:  

no sophist wrote:
Quote:

But the Star Wars bar types were all enjoying oxygen I imagine. Didn’t see a non-breather from a planet lacking atmospheric protections.
Can you visualize that one? Maybe a lump of moving coal with consistency of the blob that has that unmistakable human essence?

well lessee if we assume the bar is on a mid-breather planet like ours then a sub-breather would be wearing a mask/filter and a super-breather would have the little tube of extra gas up his nose lol and a non-breather would be a little harder to identify i imagine...but they wouldnt be eating or drinking since non-breathers dont take in energy that way. maybe they'd have big leaf like "ears" for capturing light energies for that lol mebbe when luke tries to cut ones head off with the light saber it smiles and says "delicious"