Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:53 pm +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 546 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37  Next
PostPosted:  

118: 7 is really good!
7. Omniscience and Predestination
118:7.1 (1300.5) The function of Creator will and creature will, in the grand universe, operates within the limits, and in accordance with the possibilities, established by the Master Architects. This foreordination of these maximum limits does not, however, in the least abridge the sovereignty of creature will within these boundaries. Neither does ultimate foreknowledge—full allowance for all finite choice—constitute an abrogation of finite volition. A mature and farseeing human being might be able to forecast the decision of some younger associate most accurately, but this foreknowledge takes nothing away from the freedom and genuineness of the decision itself. The Gods have wisely limited the range of the action of immature will, but it is true will, nonetheless, within these defined limits.

118:7.2 (1300.6) Even the supreme correlation of all past, present, and future choice does not invalidate the authenticity of such choosings. It rather indicates the foreordained trend of the cosmos and suggests foreknowledge of those volitional beings who may, or may not, elect to become contributory parts of the experiential actualization of all reality.

118:7.3 (1300.7) Error in finite choosing is time bound and time limited. It can exist only in time and within the evolving presence of the Supreme Being. Such mistaken choosing is time possible and indicates (besides the incompleteness of the Supreme) that certain range of choice with which immature creatures must be endowed in order to enjoy universe progression by making freewill contact with reality.

118:7.4 (1301.1) Sin in time-conditioned space clearly proves the temporal liberty—even license—of the finite will. Sin depicts immaturity dazzled by the freedom of the relatively sovereign will of personality while failing to perceive the supreme obligations and duties of cosmic citizenship.

118:7.5 (1301.2) Iniquity in the finite domains reveals the transient reality of all God-unidentified selfhood. Only as a creature becomes God identified, does he become truly real in the universes. Finite personality is not self-created, but in the superuniverse arena of choice it does self-determine destiny. *

118:7.6 (1301.3) The bestowal of life renders material-energy systems capable of self-perpetuation, self-propagation, and self-adaptation. The bestowal of personality imparts to living organisms the further prerogatives of self-determination, self-evolution, and self-identification with a fusion spirit of Deity.

118:7.7 (1301.4) Subpersonal living things indicate mind activating energy-matter, first as physical controllers, and then as adjutant mind-spirits. Personality endowment comes from the Father and imparts unique prerogatives of choice to the living system. But if personality has the prerogative of exercising volitional choice of reality identification, and if this is a true and free choice, then must evolving personality also have the possible choice of becoming self-confusing, self-disrupting, and self-destroying. The possibility of cosmic self-destruction cannot be avoided if the evolving personality is to be truly free in the exercise of finite will.

118:7.8 (1301.5) Therefore is there increased safety in narrowing the limits of personality choice throughout the lower levels of existence. Choice becomes increasingly liberated as the universes are ascended; choice eventually approximates divine freedom when the ascending personality achieves divinity of status, supremacy of consecration to the purposes of the universe, completion of cosmic-wisdom attainment, and finality of creature identification with the will and the way of God.

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted:  

just one top 40 hit chapter after another here !

8. Control and Overcontrol
118:8.1 (1301.6) In the time-space creations, free will is hedged about with restraints, with limitations. Material-life evolution is first mechanical, then mind activated, and (after the bestowal of personality) it may become spirit directed. Organic evolution on the inhabited worlds is physically limited by the potentials of the original physical-life implantations of the Life Carriers.

118:8.2 (1301.7) Mortal man is a machine, a living mechanism; his roots are truly in the physical world of energy. Many human reactions are mechanical in nature; much of life is machinelike. But man, a mechanism, is much more than a machine; he is mind endowed and spirit indwelt; and though he can never throughout his material life escape the chemical and electrical mechanics of his existence, he can increasingly learn how to subordinate this physical-life machine to the directive wisdom of experience by the process of consecrating the human mind to the execution of the spiritual urges of the indwelling Thought Adjuster.

and i was hoping my Mind was going to overcome the physical body - guess I have to live out my mortal body life first and then see what lies ahead !

118:8.3 (1301.8) The spirit liberates, and the mechanism limits, the function of will. Imperfect choice, uncontrolled by mechanism, unidentified with spirit, is dangerous and unstable. Mechanical dominance insures stability at the expense of progress; spirit alliance liberates choice from the physical level and at the same time assures the divine stability produced by augmented universe insight and increased cosmic comprehension.

118:8.4 (1302.1) The great danger that besets the creature is that, in achieving liberation from the fetters of the life mechanism, he will fail to compensate this loss of stability by effecting a harmonious working liaison with spirit. Creature choice, when relatively liberated from mechanical stability, may attempt further self-liberation independent of greater spirit identification.

118:8.5 (1302.2) The whole principle of biologic evolution makes it impossible for primitive man to appear on the inhabited worlds with any large endowment of self-restraint. Therefore does the same creative design which purposed evolution likewise provide those external restraints of time and space, hunger and fear, which effectively circumscribe the subspiritual choice range of such uncultured creatures. As man’s mind successfully overstrides increasingly difficult barriers, this same creative design has also provided for the slow accumulation of the racial heritage of painfully garnered experiential wisdom—in other words, for the maintenance of a balance between the diminishing external restraints and the augmenting internal restraints.

118:8.6 (1302.3) The slowness of evolution, of human cultural progress, testifies to the effectiveness of that brake—material inertia—which so efficiently operates to retard dangerous velocities of progress. Thus does time itself cushion and distribute the otherwise lethal results of premature escape from the next-encompassing barriers to human action. For when culture advances overfast, when material achievement outruns the evolution of worship-wisdom, then does civilization contain within itself the seeds of retrogression; and unless buttressed by the swift augmentation of experiential wisdom, such human societies will recede from high but premature levels of attainment, and the “dark ages” of the interregnum of wisdom will bear witness to the inexorable restoration of the imbalance between self-liberty and self-control.

118:8.7 (1302.4) The iniquity of Caligastia was the by-passing of the time governor of progressive human liberation—the gratuitous destruction of restraining barriers, barriers which the mortal minds of those times had not experientially overridden.

118:8.8 (1302.5) That mind which can effect a partial abridgment of time and space, by this very act proves itself possessed of the seeds of wisdom which can effectively serve in lieu of the transcended barrier of restraint.

118:8.9 (1302.6) Lucifer similarly sought to disrupt the time governor operating in restraint of the premature attainment of certain liberties in the local system. A local system settled in light and life has experientially achieved those viewpoints and insights which make feasible the operation of many techniques that would be disruptive and destructive in the presettled eras of that very realm.

118:8.10 (1302.7) As man shakes off the shackles of fear, as he bridges continents and oceans with his machines, generations and centuries with his records, he must substitute for each transcended restraint a new and voluntarily assumed restraint in accordance with the moral dictates of expanding human wisdom. These self-imposed restraints are at once the most powerful and the most tenuous of all the factors of human civilization—concepts of justice and ideals of brotherhood. Man even qualifies himself for the restraining garments of mercy when he dares to love his fellow men, while he achieves the beginnings of spiritual brotherhood when he elects to mete out to them that treatment which he himself would be accorded, even that treatment which he conceives that God would accord them.

118:8.11 (1303.1) An automatic universe reaction is stable and, in some form, continuing in the cosmos. A personality who knows God and desires to do his will, who has spirit insight, is divinely stable and eternally existent. Man’s great universe adventure consists in the transit of his mortal mind from the stability of mechanical statics to the divinity of spiritual dynamics, and he achieves this transformation by the force and constancy of his own personality decisions, in each of life’s situations declaring, “It is my will that your will be done.”

PostPosted:  

Steve...I was 13 when Star Trek came out and had exhausted Heinlein, Burroughs, and others by the time we walked on the moon. An important preamble to embracing the universe realities later found in the UB with such grand distances and so much life and such diversity of life!! Of course...naturally.

I have come to believe that humanity does not ever achieve speed of light (on any world), interstellar travel by mechanical means. We will use seraphic transport until finality I think and then we will travel unaided by seraphim or contraptions. I do believe we will explore and mine the solar system before reaching our planetary destiny of Light and Life.

This makes me unpopular with the UFO and aliens crowd. While I do think we have lots of celestial visitors, I no longer believe there are mortal beings from other planets visiting ours by mechanical means traveling at interstellar distances and speeds. There really is no true purpose or functional value I don't think.

However, I do think we will individually and unaided traverse the universes at speeds up to and exceeding warp unassisted as finaliters and/or Mighty Messengers.

99.9999% of evolutionary worlds have celestial and Divine leadership on planet teaching the population about universe realities. We will all travel and explore the universe during the eternal adventure. By the time humans might achieve warp speed technically, I doubt its purpose and priority by that stage of spiritual and social progress. Just an opinion of course.

PostPosted:  

Quote:
I have come to believe that humanity does not ever achieve speed of light (on any world), interstellar travel by mechanical means. We will use seraphic transport until finality I think and then we will travel unaided by seraphim or contraptions. I do believe we will explore and mine the solar system before reaching our planetary destiny of Light and Life.

This makes me unpopular with the UFO and aliens crowd. While I do think we have lots of celestial visitors, I no longer believe there are mortal beings from other planets visiting ours by mechanical means traveling at interstellar distances and speeds. There really is no true purpose or functional value I don't think.

I'm with you on this. Celestial and semi material beings like the Midwayers are busy working around us and for us, and apparently we dimly perceive some of this. Sometimes not so dimly. I have friends, members of Mufon, who have a lot of emotional energy invested in the idea of "aliens" among us.

For myself, I had an inexplicable encounter many years ago that left me uneasy, but very curious about the phenomenon of ufos and abductions. I intuitively felt that there might be a good purpose behind it, but let it go as a unique personal experience. Encountering the UB after my experience, and reading about the adaptability of Midwayers in their service to humanity, has given me peace and understanding.

PostPosted:  

Bradly and Gizmo - yes I agree that i think a lot of interstellar transport is done without "ships" - not sure how but I believe also some is done with "ships" of some sort before a full Spiritual only transport is acquired - yes - Star Trek-Star wars - etc and even the Thiaoouba Prophecy I just read a year ago - in a ship at "many times the speed of light" from a ninth level planet - very spiritual beings - easy read of 183 pages...I still think there is material transport before a full spiritual only transportation comes with many systems - but the UB doesn't mention any of this so we will see...it does sound like all of the UB is moving around in Spirit type form tho - as no mention of any physical craft at all - but yes - a spiritual being that is full Spirit does not need a material craft no matter how advanced the system is - I just think it is out there in some levels below the full spiritual transport on the upwards road - not sure how far up it goes tho - anyway - just my opinion 5 5 5 but yes there would come a time and space where you do not need a "ship" or craft with all the super duper Star Trek or even more sci-fi like material stuff !!! our job is to become more Spiritual and not more hi tech material anyway... all will be revealed anyway sooner or later

PostPosted:  

Lots of space fun locally in the solar system and nearby. So much to explore, discover, invent, and understand...and exploit for planetary benefit. Space is very relevant and exciting. I just think interstellar requires such an advanced civilization that would be already too spiritualized to seek the result and spend the resources. Indeed, perhaps such social and scientific ambition is one of those evolutionary peculiarities only an isolated world might achieve??!!

Anyway...science is cool!

I'm more of a Fandor buckaroo personally!

PostPosted:  

30:3.12 (340.1)  .......The privilege of intrauniverse travel and observation is a part of the career of all ascending beings. The human desire to travel and observe new peoples and worlds will be fully gratified during the long and eventful climb to Paradise through the local, super-, and central universes. 

YippeeKyAaa...Space Cowboys!!! & Girls!!!!

PostPosted:  

Bradly - my personal opinion is there is a ton of sci-fi material stuff - THEN comes the all Spiritual travelling and transportation after life in the physical realms was done - not sure of course where material meets Spirit only tho of course - and the UB doesn't seem to mention any of it - just after death the mansion worlds and whatever - sounds like all in spiritual realm - but we certainly will see - having a hard time seeing how we actually progress upwards spiritually without coming back into material bodies as beings on other worlds in wherever they might be "up the river" so to speak ... hmm - have to read more UB to see - not to be a reincarnist tho - but wondering how you progress - all in the spirit? no more physical body life after this one? will have to see what the UB says - was thinking there was unlimited physical life in other bodies after this life on the onwards and upwards journey - but that would mean reincarnation as another being on other worlds with the same soul and spirit - but maybe not having all the past memories - hmmm - stuck on this at the moment - Johnny 5 needs Input ...

PostPosted:  

Paper 47 & 48 will explain. Bodies and physicality still for a long time to come. Will have hundreds of phased physicality forms prior to pure spirit...and any time as needed thereafter.

The morontial levels of adventure. Between evolutionary material levels and spirit.

Reincarnation is a myth based on fact. A fact revealed long ago that human memory, legend, and myth twisting transformed into oral traditions of reincarnation. But never have we been here before and neither do we return. All progressive, no retrogression either.

Last edited by fanofVan on Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:45 am +0000, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted:  

ah ha - ok great thanks for the tip - will read - have to on to book 1 and 2 now or 2 and 1 - still have a lot of book 3 to read as well but will check out 47 and 48 - yeeha !

PostPosted:  

What's most true about reincarnation is the fact and function of the continuation of educational and experiential progress after mortal/physical death. We are not miraculously perfected and all wise and knowing just because we die. A preposterous Christian myth.

The East's belief in the process of personal progress is superior to the West's in this regard...closer to fact, if also inaccurate and incomplete. The morontial levels of adventure unify and harmonize both myths and give us the perspective and bridge of understanding.

Karma is universal - east and west - we reap what we sow. A fact and truth indeed.

Paper 48

The Morontia Life

48:0.1 (541.1) THE Gods cannot—at least they do not—transform a creature of gross animal nature into a perfected spirit by some mysterious act of creative magic. When the Creators desire to produce perfect beings, they do so by direct and original creation, but they never undertake to convert animal-origin and material creatures into beings of perfection in a single step.

48:0.2 (541.2) The morontia life, extending as it does over the various stages of the local universe career, is the only possible approach whereby material mortals could attain the threshold of the spirit world. What magic could death, the natural dissolution of the material body, hold that such a simple step should instantly transform the mortal and material mind into an immortal and perfected spirit? Such beliefs are but ignorant superstitions and pleasing fables.

48:0.3 (541.3) Always this morontia transition intervenes between the mortal estate and the subsequent spirit status of surviving human beings. This intermediate state of universe progress differs markedly in the various local creations, but in intent and purpose they are all quite similar. The arrangement of the mansion and higher morontia worlds in Nebadon is fairly typical of the morontia transition regimes in this part of Orvonton.

PostPosted:  

Bradly - I read paper 47 so very cool - understand now - will read paper 48 !!

PostPosted:  

There are many new readers who wrongly believe and falsely claim that the UB is "obviously" a "Christian" oriented book, a restatement of the Bible, etc. Not at all true.

No evolutionary religion is spared a less than favorable comparison to the true religion, the only and one true religion - that religion experienced by each religionist as an experience between the Spirit within and mortal being that results in the birth of soul and the connection of the Spirits of God the Father, God the Mother, and God the Son...and the truths realized by each being and the expressions of love, truth, beauty, and goodness by each such believer and faith child of God. Group religions are actually irrelevant and without value EXCEPT to the degree that they promote and facilitate and support and sustain that personal religious experience and all evolutionary religions are great and good which succeed in that purpose and result.

The Jesusonian Gospel is the message to each mind by the Creator Son's Spirit of Truth, the Son's Spirit. It is not Christian or any other evolutionary religion. It is the voice of the shepherd within, gently soothing and teaching us to trust God and to love one another. All of us are blessed by this very personal and persistent voice. Indeed, we are taught in the UB that the Buddha mind of the East may be the best prepared of all minds for the voice of the Master...or so I understand.

94:9.6 (1038.4) Buddhism is a living, growing religion today because it succeeds in conserving many of the highest moral values of its adherents. It promotes calmness and self-control, augments serenity and happiness, and does much to prevent sorrow and mourning. Those who believe this philosophy live better lives than many who do not.

94:12.4 (1041.2) The great strength of Buddhism is that its adherents are free to choose truth from all religions; such freedom of choice has seldom characterized a Urantian faith. In this respect the Shin sect of Japan has become one of the most progressive religious groups in the world; it has revived the ancient missionary spirit of Gautama’s followers and has begun to send teachers to other peoples. This willingness to appropriate truth from any and all sources is indeed a commendable tendency to appear among religious believers during the first half of the twentieth century after Christ.

94:12.5 (1041.3) Buddhism itself is undergoing a twentieth-century renaissance. Through contact with Christianity the social aspects of Buddhism have been greatly enhanced. The desire to learn has been rekindled in the hearts of the monk priests of the brotherhood, and the spread of education throughout this faith will be certainly provocative of new advances in religious evolution.

94:12.6 (1041.4) At the time of this writing, much of Asia rests its hope in Buddhism. Will this noble faith, that has so valiantly carried on through the dark ages of the past, once again receive the truth of expanded cosmic realities even as the disciples of the great teacher in India once listened to his proclamation of new truth? Will this ancient faith respond once more to the invigorating stimulus of the presentation of new concepts of God and the Absolute for which it has so long searched?

94:12.7 (1041.5) All Urantia is waiting for the proclamation of the ennobling message of Michael, unencumbered by the accumulated doctrines and dogmas of nineteen centuries of contact with the religions of evolutionary origin. The hour is striking for presenting to Buddhism, to Christianity, to Hinduism, even to the peoples of all faiths, not the gospel about Jesus, but the living, spiritual reality of the gospel of Jesus.

:idea: :!: :smile: 8)

PostPosted:  

Bradly _ i do agree 110% - working with 18+ buddhists every day at work - and my right hand guy Nutt - hey when I get mad at a supplier or customer - like verbally in the office and Nutt doesn't get excited - then I calm down as well - driving Salmon to school and get cut off on the road by a taxi driver like today and I have a couple of choice comments and Salmon just says calm down Grandpa - and last week when my thai wife gave Salmon - 10 yrs - old a slap for doing something wrong (not sure what happen actually) - then later - Salmon tells her - "it's ok Grandma - I know I did wrong - but I still love you" and the wife says she started to cry a bit over that - Salmon just in grade 5 but they have Buddhist lessons every day at Thammasat school he goes to - big university in bangkok and also in Rangsit out on the burbs where we are - but my work is interesting as I get worked up some days over a supplier problem or customer or even one of my mistakes - and the buddha kicks in at work - "mai pen rai" - or just relax - not a problem... that being said and 95% buddha here in thailand - but some thai's in their cars do throw out all buddhist teachings when driving.... 5 5 5 ... also in other things as well - but it is a "try not to upset the other person" religion for the most part here - but yes - old buddha said to think mindfully every second - don't kill even one mosquito... interesting - but step grandson Salmon is my buddha guy - 10 yr old teaching the 60 year old falung a thing or two all the time - and at work also - I have blown my "gasket" at work a few times in the last 5 years - and even I am calming down more and more every year - some mistakes made but now I do try to think first before I act or say stuff - and I don;t come unglued or off the rails like I have done a couple of times in the past - more on supplier screw ups and customer crap - but at 60 - am still trying to learn and be better every day 5 5 5

I still have to kick myself and realize how slow I am some days ! 61 on oct 1 yeeha and the thai house is paid off next july - double whoa as never paid a house off - and no property tax here - so really have to get it paid off for the thai family... gawd...

94:9.6 (1038.4) Buddhism is a living, growing religion today because it succeeds in conserving many of the highest moral values of its adherents. It promotes calmness and self-control, augments serenity and happiness, and does much to prevent sorrow and mourning. Those who believe this philosophy live better lives than many who do not.

PostPosted:  

21 Links to Buddha:

https://www.urantia.org/urantia-book/se ... &op=Search

33 Links to Buddhism:

15 Links to Buddhist:

5 Links to Buddhists:

4 Links to Tao:

7 Links to Taoism:

4 Links to Taoist:

12 Links to Lao (Tze):

121:6.4 (1338.7) Philo was a great teacher; not since Moses had there lived a man who exerted such a profound influence on the ethical and religious thought of the Occidental world. In the matter of the combination of the better elements in contemporaneous systems of ethical and religious teachings, there have been seven outstanding human teachers: Sethard, Moses, Zoroaster, Lao-tse, Buddha, Philo, and Paul.

OM...…. :biggrin: :wink: :idea: :?: :!: ....... 8)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 546 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37  Next