Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:02 pm +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted:  

Hi

As some of you know from my Introduction, I recently joined this forum after purchasing a copy of the Urantia Book, having never previously heard of it.

Purely out of curiosity I am wondering how other members tackle the reading of The Urantia Book over a set period of time, say one year.

I like to read the entire Bible over the period of one year, every year, starting from 1 Jan, and ending on 31 Dec. This, generally speaking, means I read an average of 3 chapters per day. This year, however, I have been using a reading programme that has me reading the Old Testament once, and the New Testament twice in one year.

If I was to read The Urantia Book through in one year, I am looking at about 6-7 pages each day. Or I could read one paper per day and read the entire book twice in a little over one year.

What reading programme do you use, if any, when reading The Urantia Book?

Thank you.

PostPosted:  

Study the book. Approach it more like a philosophic text. Every word has meaning and value, not to be glossed over. Take advantage of study groups.
I have read the book more than once and the first time took about 6months.
This third time I am on paper 40 and it has taken about 13 months.
I figure another year and a half to get through it to the end.
What I have found that I really like is a web site “perfecting horizons institute”
Dr Halvorson has archive audio recordings of his study groups that painstakingly go through each paper in depth. First I read the paper then listen to the audio recording while reading.
He also has a weekly radio program on blog talk radio.
I have found this to be very helpful.
But there are many resources out there for the searching.
Plan on the book being your partner for life.

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted:  

I read for a number of years (and times) before ever meeting another reader...before the internet era or audio versions, etc. Zero contact. No key word searches. No Paramony (as a Bible lover, this was a real find and companion!!) or Concordex (the original book version index of alphabetical key words). I didn't even know how to pronounce all the new words!!

I was so blessed to find a local study group and both of those hard back resources in the same library all at the same time. Wonderful!

The problem with "studying" the UB by topic compared to straight reading is significant. The Papers have a cadence or rhythm to their prose (although I agree it's either missing or less apparent in the Forward...hahahaha). And the Papers seem to anticipate reader questions and then answer them in straight reading. Both of these are missed in topical "study".

Discipline is useful....so far as it goes....related to a reading programme. Don't know if you spend much time in a car alone or yard/garden/house work activities but I suggest you try supplementing your reading with the audio versions, available in either streaming or download versions at TruthBook: https://truthbook.com/urantia-book/audio-downloads

The audio versions deliver a whole new experience! They also deliver the cadence and pronounce all the new words!

After many readings, by Part and Paper, and several front to back, I mostly "study" now....using a topical approach that carries me front to back....which usually results in re-reading whole Papers. One must watch the "snippet" study which can easily result in out of context readings and distorted understanding.

Front to back is recommended by the authors to enjoy and benefit from the intentions of the authors to present a complex tapestry one thread and weave at a time, to slowly integrate concepts into a picture that presents a perspective that random reading does not deliver.

I suggest every reading will (or should) take more time than the time before. You will take more and more conceptual detours chasing details not so recognized or appreciated in earlier readings the more you read and study...or so it is with me.

I did not mark the book or make notes my first reading. Just read and then contemplated and prayed and read some more. But my second reading and third left me with a completely colorized and fully annotated and cross referenced version which was a greater study guide for a few decades. Then came the internet and study guides and resources and visual aides!!

Now, I mostly read on-line versions and always have a tab open for key word searches. Still love the pages of my leather bound, gold leafed lap version though!!

Enjoy!!! Thanks for being here!

Bradly 8)

PostPosted:  

Hi Bradly.

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, I have indeed downloaded the audio version of the book, and use it to supplement my reading of the book. I tried listening to the audio version during my morning visits to the gym, but found my mind concentrating too much on the physical exercise I do, rather than focussing on the audio book. :lol: Now I tend to listen to it when in bed.

Yes, I am finding reading the book in order of papers, much better than delving in and around the different papers. As you seem to suggest, I do find that reading through the papers in their current order flows a lot better. Each section of the current paper, I am reading, seems to complement and introduce the next section, and I find this to be true of the individual Papers themselves.

I was very naughty and purchased a second physical copy of the book. One is a hard back version, with double columns and paragraph numbers (much like the Bible), that I read as part of my personal “study programme”. I also have a leatherbound copy up in my bedroom for re-reading what I had read during that day’s study period. This copy has the text in a single column as a novel has, and does not have number paragraphs. Then, I re-re-cap all everything I have read that day and evening, by listening to the same Paper as I attempt to sleep. I guess some may consider this to be excessive, but I find it really helps the “message” to sink in, and aids me in understanding what I am reading.

You also state that by reading the Papers in order, that any questions that arise as I read, are infact answered a little later on. This I also find to be true. I have a notebook in which I write down any questions I have as I read. Then when those questions are answered as I continue to read, I write the corresponding answer down.

It truly is a fascinating book.

PostPosted:  

hey - just joined the forum - still have a lot of the book to read but blowing my mind - am getting thoughts during the day to go home at night and read it - which i am doing - whoa - am looking at about 10+ pages a day is about all I can handle assimilating properly
have read the bible cover to cover 3+ times and grew up with Christian Science - the key to the Scriptures by Mary Baker Eddy - the Urantia book is like CS on steriods with all the details - also - last year I read the 183 page Thaioouba Prophecy which also is along the Urantia lines - a bit - with a9 th level planet beings in charge of looking after earth - anyway - gotta get back to reading tonight - thanks for having a Urantia forum !!! will post more as I go - i know where the quarantine came from now and many other things - very nice and enjoying every page - whoa
Steve in Thailand

PostPosted:  

shrimpythai wrote:
hey - just joined the forum - still have a lot of the book to read but blowing my mind - am getting thoughts during the day to go home at night and read it - which i am doing - whoa - am looking at about 10+ pages a day is about all I can handle assimilating properly
have read the bible cover to cover 3+ times and grew up with Christian Science - the key to the Scriptures by Mary Baker Eddy - the Urantia book is like CS on steriods with all the details - also - last year I read the 183 page Thaioouba Prophecy which also is along the Urantia lines - a bit - with a9 th level planet beings in charge of looking after earth - anyway - gotta get back to reading tonight - thanks for having a Urantia forum !!! will post more as I go - i know where the quarantine came from now and many other things - very nice and enjoying every page - whoa
Steve in Thailand

Welcome Steve! Best wishes in your discovery of the UB. Let us know of any questions we might help with.

Bradly 8)

PostPosted:  

welcome steve! It's really interesting you bring up the Thaioouba Prophecy. I read that book nearly 20 years ago at a very impressionable age, and while I am fortunate I found the Urantia Book only a few years afterwards, I still catch myself thinking about that particular work more often than most other things I was exploring prior to diving into TUB.

myrm- In short term, paper to paper, back to back makes the most sense. If anything, it ensures you continue on towards the goal of having read the entire thing. But the first reading is just an introduction. It gets deeper and deeper the more you read it-- actually, the more you live it.

The past few years I've put the book down and dove more into life itself. But even then I still find myself doing a quick memory (sanity?) check by looking up something. Very often I end up reading the whole paper again. Sometimes even two or three if the paper in question is highly relevant to those before or after it.

fov- long time, glad to see you still out and about...

PostPosted:  

quil !!!!!!

Wonderful! Welcome back. So glad to hear your voice again. Been awhile. All my best.

:biggrin: :wink: