Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:28 pm +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted:  

My Dear Friends and Fellow Students,

I would like to introduce and share a study of Paper 100 – Religion In Human Experience – with those who attend here and I look forward to your insights as to the teachings, meanings, and value discovered together. This is the first Paper I read nearly 5 decades ago and it is the one I return to most often for inspiration, guidance, and truth upon this spiritual and religious journey of mine. While I have read the entire book many times, this Paper I have read countless times. Indeed, of all the Papers, it is my opinion that this particular one stands upon its own in powerful and unique ways that speaks to the mind and heart of all religionists and believers and seekers.

I first read this Teaching as a student of the Jesusonian Way, the Tao, and Zen….all paths to Being and Becoming. The Paper profoundly integrated these Ways into what I describe and aspire to live as The Tadpole Way!!
Interesting to me, that this is right in the middle of the UB and is where the book fell open upon my first touch and has remained the core and central source of my instruction ever since.

It is my intention to take considerable time to post, incrementally, the entire Paper in this study to consider every element of The Teaching found within. None of you are so restricted of course!!! Feel free to post supporting text from throughout the UB or to skip forward and back as you wish. While I hope this becomes a study of a particular Paper, it is filled with so many topics of import that we must consider other Papers and concepts to support such a study.

For those who seek the meaning of life and how to achieve true happiness and how best to approach this dual nature within ourselves and formulate an effective Philosophy For Living this mortal life, this Paper offers so much to consider regarding the very art of Living…it is a why to and how to instructional to achieve harmony, balance, peace, contentment, trust, faith and how to express those in our daily life in meaningful ways which lead to a sure attachment to the Living Vine and the resulting Fruits of The Spirit.

It is not an instructional or commandment list of what to do or when. It is a celebration of the unique, personal, and endless individual experiences in and expressions of The Spirit Within. It is more about Why and How, than what and when. We must each live our religion and it is our own religious experience that determines our inner motives for living daily, our intentions at the intersections of choice, our priorities in this life, and how all those determine the actual choices we make day by day. Experiential wisdom and spiritual growth (spiritization) only come over time by the living and the choosing we do while living.

Welcome to The Tadpole Way!!!

To begin here is a link to the Paper in the digital and audio version of the UB:

https://truthbook.com/urantia-book/pape ... experience

If you have not done so, I recommend both a reading of the text and a listening of the audio version, both on the same page at the link above.

Religion in Human Experience

(1094.1) 100:0.1 THE experience of dynamic religious living transforms the mediocre individual into a personality of idealistic power. Religion ministers to the progress of all through fostering the progress of each individual, and the progress of each is augmented through the achievement of all.

(1094.2) 100:0.2 Spiritual growth is mutually stimulated by intimate association with other religionists. Love supplies the soil for religious growth — an objective lure in the place of subjective gratification — yet it yields the supreme subjective satisfaction. And religion ennobles the commonplace drudgery of daily living.

Bradly 8)

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted:  

8)

The next quotes introduce the concept of loyalty…a most important concept. While children are most impressed by the loyalties of parents and leaders, our personal loyalty to the spirit nature within (of our dual nature options and realities) determines the transfer of the seat of our identity (quote welcome). It is our personal loyalty to love and to the mysterious spirit within, the small still voice, that determines our motives, intentions, and priorities in life. To which are we MOST loyal? To self interest? Or to the commandments of our Lord…to love God and others, or one another? For self interest is material, temporal…while the interest in the best outcome for another and all others is God centered. This is not against our own self interest….not to the mind who is reality centered and aware of the reality of God within and the brotherhood/sisterhood of humanity and ALL of God’s creatures…my interests are best served by the interests of ALL.

1. Religious Growth

100:1.1 (1094.3) While religion produces growth of meanings and enhancement of values, evil always results when purely personal evaluations are elevated to the levels of absolutes. A child evaluates experience in accordance with the content of pleasure; maturity is proportional to the substitution of higher meanings for personal pleasure, even loyalties to the highest concepts of diversified life situations and cosmic relations.

100:1.2 (1094.4) Some persons are too busy to grow and are therefore in grave danger of spiritual fixation. Provision must be made for growth of meanings at differing ages, in successive cultures, and in the passing stages of advancing civilization. The chief inhibitors of growth are prejudice and ignorance.

100:1.3 (1094.5) Give every developing child a chance to grow his own religious experience; do not force a ready-made adult experience upon him. Remember, year-by-year progress through an established educational regime does not necessarily mean intellectual progress, much less spiritual growth. Enlargement of vocabulary does not signify development of character. Growth is not truly indicated by mere products but rather by progress. Real educational growth is indicated by enhancement of ideals, increased appreciation of values, new meanings of values, and augmented loyalty to supreme values.

100:1.4 (1094.6) Children are permanently impressed only by the loyalties of their adult associates; precept or even example is not lastingly influential. Loyal persons are growing persons, and growth is an impressive and inspiring reality. Live loyally today — grow — and tomorrow will attend to itself. The quickest way for a tadpole to become a frog is to live loyally each moment as a tadpole.

Ahhhh…The Tadpole Way!!!!!

Are we loyal to God within? Are we loyal to universe reality? Do we respond to Love? Do we care for others? Do we trust the Lord? Do we so sufficiently to live in sublime confidence and contentment in ultimate outcomes? If so, then we are indeed making Circle Progress and approach our destiny as Finaliters and Eternal Adventurers in God’s Friendly Universe!!
This eternal adventure is not a race nor does it depend, in this life on knowledge or accurate belief, but only depends upon this loyalty, a tadpoles loyalty, in God’s grace and friendly universe!!

This is not merely the good news…but the greatest of all news a revelation to humanity might ever deliver…or so I think and believe.

And because of the Father’s Spirit (Thought Adjuster), the Mother’s Spirit (Holy Spirit and Adjutants), and the Son’s Spirit (Spirit of Truth delivered at Pentecost)….every human mind is ministered to in very intimate, personal ways to bring this truth to every one of us in very personal ways….we are each and all so ‘adjusted’ and ‘spoken’ to in so many ways which deliver…Religion In Human Experience.

THE TADPOLE WAY!!!!!!!

Believe, strive, and express as we pass by…. 8)

PostPosted:  

Please note that Religion In Human Experience not only transforms the individual mortal but thereby transforms society and the world. We are told that our progress through science and morals and ethics can never rise higher than our faith. Progress will always be limited by spirituality. The spirituality of individuals. Social problems and challenges will be solved by the fruits of the Spirit as more and more of us attach our branch to the vine.

Experiential wisdom and maturity is evolutionary and delivers planetary results by the social aggregation and integration of individual religious experience. Notice in 0.1 above how social progress also feeds and supports or "fosters" the progress of the individual.

Note the "chief inhibitors of growth" in 1.2 above. Recall we are taught just how ignorant we mortals of Urantia are. But its not ignorance alone that's the chief inhibitor of growth - it's prejudice + ignorance! Curiosity and an open mind cures ignorance. But the love of and loyalty to our current opinions and knowledge (or rather ignorance) combined with the lack of facts, knowledge, and reality objectivity are the chief inhibitors of growth.

132:3.4 (1459.4) Revealed truth, personally discovered truth, is the supreme delight of the human soul; it is the joint creation of the material mind and the indwelling spirit. The eternal salvation of this truth-discerning and beauty-loving soul is assured by that hunger and thirst for goodness which leads this mortal to develop a singleness of purpose to do the Father’s will, to find God and to become like him. There is never conflict between true knowledge and truth. There may be conflict between knowledge and human beliefs, beliefs colored with prejudice, distorted by fear, and dominated by the dread of facing new facts of material discovery or spiritual progress.

132:3.5 (1459.5) But truth can never become man’s possession without the exercise of faith. This is true because man’s thoughts, wisdom, ethics, and ideals will never rise higher than his faith, his sublime hope. And all such true faith is predicated on profound reflection, sincere self-criticism, and uncompromising moral consciousness. Faith is the inspiration of the spiritized creative imagination.

12:7.11 Brotherhood constitutes a fact of relationship between every personality in universal existence. No person can escape the benefits or the penalties that may come as a result of relationship to other persons. The part profits or suffers in measure with the whole. The good effort of each man benefits all men; the error or evil of each man augments the tribulation of all men. As moves the part, so moves the whole. As the progress of the whole, so the progress of the part. The relative velocities of part and whole determine whether the part is retarded by the inertia of the whole or is carried forward by the momentum of the cosmic brotherhood.

160:1.13 Prejudice blinds the soul to the recognition of truth, and prejudice can be removed only by the sincere devotion of the soul to the adoration of a cause that is all-embracing and all-inclusive of one's fellow men. Prejudice is inseparably linked to selfishness. Prejudice can be eliminated only by the abandonment of self-seeking and by substituting therefor the quest of the satisfaction of the service of a cause that is not only greater than self, but one that is even greater than all humanity — the search for God, the attainment of divinity. The evidence of maturity of personality consists in the transformation of human desire so that it constantly seeks for the realization of those values which are highest and most divinely real.

Me here: The dangers of misplaced loyalty - the loyalty to one's own opinion rather that a loyalty to the discovery of and education about universe reality and/or the misplaced and blinding loyalty to self vs. the enlightened loyalty to faith and all other beings.

To learn more about the very human tendency of prejudice, especially religious prejudice, here is a link to that keyword search. Note that the Master taught much about the dangers and obstacles of prejudice, often compared to blindness:

https://truthbook.com/search/UBParagrap ... &start=all

8)

PostPosted:  

As is usual when studying the UB, what comes next so often clarifies and specifies issues just read….it has always impressed me how the authors wrote in such a way as to both anticipate questions and lead the mind to questions like bread crumbs through the forest of discovery! After thusly seeing enough trees in our reading of the text, is the forest of truth and universe reality revealed!

100:1.5 (1094.7) The soil essential for religious growth presupposes a progressive life of self-realization, the co-ordination of natural propensities, the exercise of curiosity and the enjoyment of reasonable adventure, the experiencing of feelings of satisfaction, the functioning of the fear stimulus of attention and awareness, the wonder-lure, and a normal consciousness of smallness, humility. Growth is also predicated on the discovery of selfhood accompanied by self-criticism — conscience, for conscience is really the criticism of oneself by one’s own value-habits, personal ideals.

100:1.6 (1095.1) Religious experience is markedly influenced by physical health, inherited temperament, and social environment. But these temporal conditions do not inhibit inner spiritual progress by a soul dedicated to the doing of the will of the Father in heaven. There are present in all normal mortals certain innate drives toward growth and self-realization which function if they are not specifically inhibited. The certain technique of fostering this constitutive endowment of the potential of spiritual growth is to maintain an attitude of wholehearted devotion to supreme values.

100:1.7 (1095.2) Religion cannot be bestowed, received, loaned, learned, or lost. It is a personal experience which grows proportionally to the growing quest for final values. Cosmic growth thus attends on the accumulation of meanings and the ever-expanding elevation of values. But nobility itself is always an unconscious growth.

Me here: I think 1.5 above teaches us that the very “discovery of selfhood”….the yearn and curiosity and wonder lure and the joys of discovery and learning and growth itself is the beginning, perhaps, of the desire for the branch to attach itself to the vine…to connect to the very source of all these feelings. And by such a connection and experience does the fruit begin to appear on the branch.

Notice how humility and self criticism come into play….the very antithesis of prejudice. The branch grows increasingly loyal to the vine I think, especially when the fruits of the Spirit deliver happiness, contentment, patience, kindness, joy….to be shared in loving service….which further strengthens the branch and grows ever more fruit. The growth of wisdom by such experience only adds to the strength of the branch.

According to my understanding, it also grows and strengthens the vine as well as the branch…as represented by the Supreme who also grows as all the fruit on all the branches grows too.

“…innate drives…function….if not specifically inhibited….”

Indeed! Again....Religion In Human Experience" is natural and innate - it is what humanity is designed and built and engineered and evolved for, it is our very purpose!! Our religious experience happens if we do specifically inhibit it by our choices and our prejudices. Perfection hunger is the yearn and the thirst delivered by the Thought Adjuster, our co-parent of our very soul!!

100:1.8 (1095.3) Religious habits of thinking and acting are contributory to the economy of spiritual growth. One can develop religious predispositions toward favorable reaction to spiritual stimuli, a sort of conditioned spiritual reflex. Habits which favor religious growth embrace cultivated sensitivity to divine values, recognition of religious living in others, reflective meditation on cosmic meanings, worshipful problem solving, sharing one’s spiritual life with one’s fellows, avoidance of selfishness, refusal to presume on divine mercy, living as in the presence of God. The factors of religious growth may be intentional, but the growth itself is unvaryingly unconscious.

100:1.9 (1095.4) The unconscious nature of religious growth does not, however, signify that it is an activity functioning in the supposed subconscious realms of human intellect; rather does it signify creative activities in the superconscious levels of mortal mind. The experience of the realization of the reality of unconscious religious growth is the one positive proof of the functional existence of the superconsciousness.

2. Spiritual Growth

100:2.1 (1095.5) Spiritual development depends, first, on the maintenance of a living spiritual connection with true spiritual forces and, second, on the continuous bearing of spiritual fruit: yielding the ministry to one’s fellows of that which has been received from one’s spiritual benefactors. Spiritual progress is predicated on intellectual recognition of spiritual poverty coupled with the self-consciousness of perfection-hunger, the desire to know God and be like him, the wholehearted purpose to do the will of the Father in heaven.

Me here: There are so many related concepts that might take this study to any part of the Papers and teachings. And did indeed, for me, deliver me to every Paper and every page and every word of the text in search for the description of universe reality and truth found within its pages.

8)

PostPosted:  

100:2.2 (1095.6) Spiritual growth is first an awakening to needs, next a discernment of meanings, and then a discovery of values. The evidence of true spiritual development consists in the exhibition of a human personality motivated by love, activated by unselfish ministry, and dominated by the wholehearted worship of the perfection ideals of divinity. And this entire experience constitutes the reality of religion as contrasted with mere theological beliefs.

100:2.3 (1095.7) Religion can progress to that level of experience whereon it becomes an enlightened and wise technique of spiritual reaction to the universe. Such a glorified religion can function on three levels of human personality: the intellectual, the morontial, and the spiritual; upon the mind, in the evolving soul, and with the indwelling spirit.

100:2.4 (1096.1) Spirituality becomes at once the indicator of one’s nearness to God and the measure of one’s usefulness to fellow beings. Spirituality enhances the ability to discover beauty in things, recognize truth in meanings, and discover goodness in values. Spiritual development is determined by capacity therefor and is directly proportional to the elimination of the selfish qualities of love.

Me here: "...an awakening to needs..." We are told that we are connected to God by the personality circuit and mind circuit and spirit circuits which creates our awareness of 'the other" presence within. We are also taught that the God Fragment/Thought Adjuster creates a yearn and hunger and thirst that only religious experience will satisfy. The personal religious experience begins therefore by our RESPONSE to the inner spirit presence and small still voice.

All beings crave happiness which primarily results from our connection and response to the Spirit within. We are a conduit for love and joy and peace...we enjoy those the most and the best when we are sharing them with others! Is our testimony we share joyful and confident? Do we trust the Lord and the Most Highs? Or are we anxious and fearful and filled with doubts? Which do we share with those we love and those we meet? Are we sharing the light of truth or the shadows of despair??

Our response to the Spirit connection within determines our reality, our perspective, our testimony, and our outcomes! Also, our personal response to situations, circumstances, and relationships eventually becomes a ‘spiritual reaction’ delivered by an enlightened and wise response-ability to all and all the time. Self is not dominate in such a progressive person. Reminds me of Jesus asking …. Why do you call me good? Also reminds me of our task and challenge to transfer the seat of our very identity from the material self to the spiritized member of one family, all of whom serve one another in love….as devoted families do….even material ones curiously enough…the pattern of the universe projected upon the most primitive models.

While the fruits of the Spirit are the true measure of our spiritization and cooperation with TA and Circle Progress….there is another ‘monitor’ of progress to consider….our response-ability to situations and circumstances and relationships. As we become spiritized, we may not notice the growth as it occurs but we should notice how differently we react and respond to similar intersections of choice and decision. Should we not respond differently to the same stimuli as we grow? Does the same thing anger us ….still? Do we have the same anxiety over the same thing….still? Are we still annoyed by the same people who do the same thing? How do we emotionally and mentally react now compared to earlier? How do we choose to thoughtfully respond to our reactions? Doesn’t the spiritized self seek meanings in our choices rather than weight benefits and risks to our SELF? And don’t we find those meanings in seeking out ways to serve rather than be served?

Not all “factors of spiritual growth” are conscious as we have learned. The love response, the yearn to worship, the inner recognition of our dual nature, the response to the spirit within….all can be unconscious. However….”The factors of growth may be intentional….”….and should be and, eventually, must be intentional. The more intentional are the factors, the more deliberate the growth I would think. Our study here together is but one example of being intentional and deliberate.

111:4.7 (1220.6) Happiness and joy take origin in the inner life. You cannot experience real joy all by yourself. A solitary life is fatal to happiness. Even families and nations will enjoy life more if they share it with others.

8) Bradly

PostPosted:  

100:2.5 (1096.2) Actual spiritual status is the measure of Deity attainment, Adjuster attunement. The achievement of finality of spirituality is equivalent to the attainment of the maximum of reality, the maximum of Godlikeness. Eternal life is the endless quest for infinite values.

100:2.6 (1096.3) The goal of human self-realization should be spiritual, not material. The only realities worth striving for are divine, spiritual, and eternal. Mortal man is entitled to the enjoyment of physical pleasures and to the satisfaction of human affections; he is benefited by loyalty to human associations and temporal institutions; but these are not the eternal foundations upon which to build the immortal personality which must transcend space, vanquish time, and achieve the eternal destiny of divine perfection and finaliter service.

100:2.7 (1096.4) Jesus portrayed the profound surety of the God-knowing mortal when he said: “To a God-knowing kingdom believer, what does it matter if all things earthly crash?” Temporal securities are vulnerable, but spiritual sureties are impregnable. When the flood tides of human adversity, selfishness, cruelty, hate, malice, and jealousy beat about the mortal soul, you may rest in the assurance that there is one inner bastion, the citadel of the spirit, which is absolutely unassailable; at least this is true of every human being who has dedicated the keeping of his soul to the indwelling spirit of the eternal God.

I recall the parable by Jesus where he teaches that this world is but a bridge and we should not think to build a home upon it….merely cross over from one side to the other….the material to the morontial.  We are to enjoy ALL our life including the mortal and material life but we cannot truly enjoy this life if we are unable or unwilling to identify our selves with eternal destinies and values – truth, beauty, and goodness are eternal and these may be discovered and actualized in the material life and the realms of time and space.

Our material life is our first training ground for the purpose of growing soul and do so by a growing trust, faith, and confidence in the Spirit within and eternalized experiences….the temporal and material world and its gleaming, shimmering baubles of distraction and allure are not the prize of this life…and happiness will evade all who believe that material gain and comforts will deliver it.  Those who achieve material ease and become devoted to leisure and power delivered by material objects are truly the most pitiful and needy of all.  It is not wealth of course but our attachments to it and our dependence upon it that leads to fears and disappointments.  For one must be willing to see it all crash about them and yet remain steadfast and joyful in the true meanings and values of life.

It is interesting to read and consider the parallels between Paper 100 -Religion In Human Experience and Paper 196 – The Faith Of Jesus.  The two reveal the Tadpole Way resulting in the Jesus Way or the Enlightening Way….the process of transferring the seat of identity and the results of that transfer….from the birth of soul to fusion status….in the mortal mind directed by free will and focused on the discovery of meanings and values.

(2088.4) 196:0.9 The Master’s entire life was consistently conditioned by this living faith, this sublime religious experience. This spiritual attitude wholly dominated his thinking and feeling, his believing and praying, his teaching and preaching. This personal faith of a son in the certainty and security of the guidance and protection of the heavenly Father imparted to his unique life a profound endowment of spiritual reality. And yet, despite this very deep consciousness of close relationship with divinity, this Galilean, God’s Galilean, when addressed as Good Teacher, instantly replied, “Why do you call me good?” When we stand confronted by such splendid self-forgetfulness, we begin to understand how the Universal Father found it possible so fully to manifest himself to him and reveal himself through him to the mortals of the realms.

(A reminder that any words posted by me that are other than quoted text are only my opinions based on my personal understanding at the time.  Thankfully, or hopefully, such understanding is refined and enlarged over time, study, reflection, and experience.)

8) Bradly

PostPosted:  

100:2.7 (1096.4) Jesus portrayed the profound surety of the God-knowing mortal when he said: “To a God-knowing kingdom believer, what does it matter if all things earthly crash?” Temporal securities are vulnerable, but spiritual sureties are impregnable. When the flood tides of human adversity, selfishness, cruelty, hate, malice, and jealousy beat about the mortal soul, you may rest in the assurance that there is one inner bastion, the citadel of the spirit, which is absolutely unassailable; at least this is true of every human being who has dedicated the keeping of his soul to the indwelling spirit of the eternal God.

I went to Wiki to study “citadel”….some amazing metaphors illuminated within this quote.  The citadel was highest, strongest, and most defensible bastion within a castle or fortification or walled city (known examples go back over ten thousand years).  Many times cities and forts were taken, even destroyed…but the citadel (and its ‘keep’) survived all assaults. 

If the citadel survived, the invaders failed and all that and them within the citadel were considered victorious!  Some of the greatest tales in history have to do with the unvanquished who survived within the citadel and that treasure of greatest value within the keep.

Note above that “temporal securities are vulnerable”….consider the outer material defenses or walls of a fort or city, vulnerable to assault and destruction, while “spiritual sureties are impregnable” – the inner bastion, the impregnable citadel guarded by angels, and the Spirits of the Father, Mother, and Son – a place where nothing temporal may break in or destroy – the citadel of FAITH and TRUST. 

As temporal adversity beats down the material circumstances and securities of our world and life around us, even destroying all our material comforts, securities, and support systems (including mortal life itself)… the faith child can stand firm, confident, and safely within the unassailable citadel of the spirit, in whose keeping is our very soul….the keep within the citadel of all that is eternal, true, beautiful, and good!

What a glorious picture of the reality portrayed by the Master in his life here as one of us…the profound surety of the God knowing mortal!

PostPosted:  

One of the most important and profound and paradigm shifting teachings found in the UB is the wide spectrum of experiences described here which are considered "religious" in form, function, result, and progressive spiritization and spiritualization.

Morality, generosity, kindness, forgiveness, and helpfulness are both true experiences and expressions of personal religion and faith. Wow.

Beliefs, professing, and proclamations do not necessarily demonstrate either faith OR true religious experience.

People do not need to be conscious of religiosity to experience the birth and growth of soul...which can be unconcious and yet real, valid, and effective. Religious experience is not a thing apart from human living....living as humans in material reality while connected to the Spirit realities and presence within.

God makes contact. We are born connected to God. We do not need to know it or understand it or seek it out to experience this connection and to respond to the Spirit presence within. Faith is simply any and every human response to that Divine Presence, conscious or unconscious. Faith is not knowledge or understanding or beliefs...it is simply our personality-response to the source of personality, the Spirit Presence Within.

Conscious and deliberate and intentional faith acts are also real...and important. But still do not depend on specific knowledge or beliefs to gain spiritual progress. Indeed, even false beliefs cannot interfere with true faith experience and expressions.

Factual knowledge of universe reality does also act as a great fulcrum and accelerant of true faith...but knowledge is not faith. Faith depends upon the response to and relationship with the Spirit within. Or so I understand the teachings of the UB.

5:1.12 (64.3) The great God makes direct contact with mortal man and gives a part of his infinite and eternal and incomprehensible self to live and dwell within him. God has embarked upon the eternal adventure with man. If you yield to the leadings of the spiritual forces in you and around you, you cannot fail to attain the high destiny established by a loving God as the universe goal of his ascendant creatures from the evolutionary worlds of space.

5:5.2 (68.5) Religion is not grounded in the facts of science, the obligations of society, the assumptions of philosophy, or the implied duties of morality. Religion is an independent realm of human response to life situations and is unfailingly exhibited at all stages of human development which are postmoral. Religion may permeate all four levels of the realization of values and the enjoyment of universe fellowship: the physical or material level of self-preservation; the social or emotional level of fellowship; the moral or duty level of reason; the spiritual level of the consciousness of universe fellowship through divine worship.

5:5.3 (68.6) The fact-seeking scientist conceives of God as the First Cause, a God of force. The emotional artist sees God as the ideal of beauty, a God of aesthetics. The reasoning philosopher is sometimes inclined to posit a God of universal unity, even a pantheistic Deity. The religionist of faith believes in a God who fosters survival, the Father in heaven, the God of love.

5:5.4 (68.7) Moral conduct is always an antecedent of evolved religion and a part of even revealed religion, but never the whole of religious experience. Social service is the result of moral thinking and religious living. Morality does not biologically lead to the higher spiritual levels of religious experience. The adoration of the abstract beautiful is not the worship of God; neither is exaltation of nature nor the reverence of unity the worship of God.

5:5.5 (68.8) Evolutionary religion is the mother of the science, art, and philosophy which elevated man to the level of receptivity to revealed religion, including the bestowal of Adjusters and the coming of the Spirit of Truth. The evolutionary picture of human existence begins and ends with religion, albeit very different qualities of religion, one evolutional and biological, the other revelational and periodical. And so, while religion is normal and natural to man, it is also optional. Man does not have to be religious against his will.

5:5.6 (69.1) Religious experience, being essentially spiritual, can never be fully understood by the material mind; hence the function of theology, the psychology of religion. The essential doctrine of the human realization of God creates a paradox in finite comprehension. It is well-nigh impossible for human logic and finite reason to harmonize the concept of divine immanence, God within and a part of every individual, with the idea of God’s transcendence, the divine domination of the universe of universes. These two essential concepts of Deity must be unified in the faith-grasp of the concept of the transcendence of a personal God and in the realization of the indwelling presence of a fragment of that God in order to justify intelligent worship and validate the hope of personality survival. The difficulties and paradoxes of religion are inherent in the fact that the realities of religion are utterly beyond the mortal capacity for intellectual comprehension.

5:5.7 (69.2) Mortal man secures three great satisfactions from religious experience, even in the days of his temporal sojourn on earth:

5:5.8 (69.3) 1. Intellectually he acquires the satisfactions of a more unified human consciousness.

5:5.9 (69.4) 2. Philosophically he enjoys the substantiation of his ideals of moral values.

5:5.10 (69.5) 3. Spiritually he thrives in the experience of divine companionship, in the spiritual satisfactions of true worship.

5:5.11 (69.6) God-consciousness, as it is experienced by an evolving mortal of the realms, must consist of three varying factors, three differential levels of reality realization. There is first the mind consciousness—the comprehension of the idea of God. Then follows the soul consciousness—the realization of the ideal of God. Last, dawns the spirit consciousness—the realization of the spirit reality of God. By the unification of these factors of the divine realization, no matter how incomplete, the mortal personality at all times overspreads all conscious levels with a realization of the personality of God. In those mortals who have attained the Corps of the Finality all this will in time lead to the realization of the supremacy of God and may subsequently eventuate in the realization of the ultimacy of God, some phase of the absonite superconsciousness of the Paradise Father.

5:5.12 (69.7) The experience of God-consciousness remains the same from generation to generation, but with each advancing epoch in human knowledge the philosophic concept and the theologic definitions of God must change. God-knowingness, religious consciousness, is a universe reality, but no matter how valid (real) religious experience is, it must be willing to subject itself to intelligent criticism and reasonable philosophic interpretation; it must not seek to be a thing apart in the totality of human experience.

8)

PostPosted:  

As I said in the beginning of this thread, there are so many related teachings and topics in the earlier and later sections of the UB.  Jesus taught about the Kingdom, the soul, being reborn, personal re-prioritization of choices, the fruits of the spirit led life, and the search for values and meanings, the natural urge to serve….and so much more….all of the Master’s teachings were about Religion In Human Experience I think.

In the coming sections of Paper 100 (and the Papers which follow), we will come to learn about how faith and Spirit-response can be both natural but unintentional and, more effectively, deliberate, purposeful, and intentional indeed.

We are not born in the Spirit intentionally…but we cannot be reborn any other way.  We enter the Circles – as children or primitives – simply by a natural response to the Adjutants which gives birth to the soul.  But upon sufficient progress in the Circles, further progress requires (I think) a “new orientation” and “new standard of values” and “remotivation” – all of which must be deliberately chosen.  So we may enter the Circles and we may progress in the Circles by a natural and normal inner response to the Adjutants, but fusion will never come without deliberate and intentional choices in true partnership with the Spirit(s) within.

We are taught that we become weaned away from the Adjutants as we partner more and more with the God Fragment…intentionally.  I wonder can the soul grow sufficiently to begin worship through the TA without the mind’s intent and purpose to do so?

I know I sound a little discombobulated….so many concepts flow into one another and integrate in this Paper…I find it difficult to articulate in words of my own.  But in this Paper there is much to learn about unintentional and intentional growth in religious experience.  Those of us who think all religious experience is intentional are incorrect as there is much growth in the spirit and the circles that are simply the natural ‘response’ to normal mortal minded wiring and ministry….one must actively oppose it to prevent it.

Religion In Human Experience is a full spectrum of experiences not all of which are deliberate and intentional choices but which includes the experience of children and primitives in response to internalized yearnings, fears, hopes, and many forms of experiences which are delivered by the angels, the adjutants, the Son’s Spirit, and the TA’s….all of which do require our free will to respond and to act and not oppose or prevent….but much of which does not require cognition, understanding, purpose, and intention.  Cooperation is something less than cognitive choice and the exercise of will with purpose and intention.

But how much more certain is that religious experience which is sought after with purpose and intention!  Motivation to transform ourselves brings profound changes to our motives for being, our intentions at the intersections of choice, our priorities for both daily living and our entire life experience, and the loss of self importance in all of those and in our relationships with others.  Religion In Human Experience is always transforming….or it is not religious experience I do not think.

100:2.8 (1096.5) After such spiritual attainment, whether secured by gradual growth or specific crisis, there occurs a new orientation of personality as well as the development of a new standard of values. Such spirit-born individuals are so remotivated in life that they can calmly stand by while their fondest ambitions perish and their keenest hopes crash; they positively know that such catastrophes are but the redirecting cataclysms which wreck one’s temporal creations preliminary to the rearing of the more noble and enduring realities of a new and more sublime level of universe attainment.

3. Concepts of Supreme Value

100:3.1 (1096.6) Religion is not a technique for attaining a static and blissful peace of mind; it is an impulse for organizing the soul for dynamic service. It is the enlistment of the totality of selfhood in the loyal service of loving God and serving man. Religion pays any price essential to the attainment of the supreme goal, the eternal prize. There is a consecrated completeness in religious loyalty which is superbly sublime. And these loyalties are socially effective and spiritually progressive.

100:3.2 (1096.7) To the religionist the word God becomes a symbol signifying the approach to supreme reality and the recognition of divine value. Human likes and dislikes do not determine good and evil; moral values do not grow out of wish fulfillment or emotional frustration.

100:3.3 (1096.8) In the contemplation of values you must distinguish between that which is value and that which has value. You must recognize the relation between pleasurable activities and their meaningful integration and enhanced realization on ever progressively higher and higher levels of human experience.

In 3:1 above I am reminded of the Pearl of Great Price…and similar parables!

PostPosted:  

100:3.4 (1097.1) Meaning is something which experience adds to value; it is the appreciative consciousness of values. An isolated and purely selfish pleasure may connote a virtual devaluation of meanings, a meaningless enjoyment bordering on relative evil. Values are experiential when realities are meaningful and mentally associated, when such relationships are recognized and appreciated by mind.

100:3.5 (1097.2) Values can never be static; reality signifies change, growth. Change without growth, expansion of meaning and exaltation of value, is valueless — is potential evil. The greater the quality of cosmic adaptation, the more of meaning any experience possesses. Values are not conceptual illusions; they are real, but always they depend on the fact of relationships. Values are always both actual and potential — not what was, but what is and is to be.

100:3.6 (1097.3) The association of actuals and potentials equals growth, the experiential realization of values. But growth is not mere progress. Progress is always meaningful, but it is relatively valueless without growth. The supreme value of human life consists in growth of values, progress in meanings, and realization of the cosmic interrelatedness of both of these experiences. And such an experience is the equivalent of God-consciousness. Such a mortal, while not supernatural, is truly becoming superhuman; an immortal soul is evolving.

https://www.urantia.org/urantia-book/se ... &op=Search

9:4.5 (102.5) Cosmic force responds to mind even as cosmic mind responds to spirit. Spirit is divine purpose, and spirit mind is divine purpose in action. Energy is thing, mind is meaning, spirit is value. Even in time and space, mind establishes those relative relationships between energy and spirit which are suggestive of mutual kinship in eternity.

9:4.6 (102.6) Mind transmutes the values of spirit into the meanings of intellect; volition has power to bring the meanings of mind to fruit in both the material and spiritual domains. The Paradise ascent involves a relative and differential growth in spirit, mind, and energy. The personality is the unifier of these components of experiential individuality.

Consider a study of Paper 112 to learn about the unification and integration of fact, meaning, and values by experiential personality resulting in growth, progress, and wisdom!

8)

PostPosted:  

100:3.7 (1097.4) Man cannot cause growth, but he can supply favorable conditions. Growth is always unconscious, be it physical, intellectual, or spiritual. Love thus grows; it cannot be created, manufactured, or purchased; it must grow. Evolution is a cosmic technique of growth. Social growth cannot be secured by legislation, and moral growth is not had by improved administration. Man may manufacture a machine, but its real value must be derived from human culture and personal appreciation. Man’s sole contribution to growth is the mobilization of the total powers of his personality — living faith.

4. Problems of Growth

100:4.1 (1097.5) Religious living is devoted living, and devoted living is creative living, original and spontaneous. New religious insights arise out of conflicts which initiate the choosing of new and better reaction habits in the place of older and inferior reaction patterns. New meanings only emerge amid conflict; and conflict persists only in the face of refusal to espouse the higher values connoted in superior meanings.

100:4.2 (1097.6) Religious perplexities are inevitable; there can be no growth without psychic conflict and spiritual agitation. The organization of a philosophic standard of living entails considerable commotion in the philosophic realms of the mind. Loyalties are not exercised in behalf of the great, the good, the true, and the noble without a struggle. Effort is attendant upon clarification of spiritual vision and enhancement of cosmic insight. And the human intellect protests against being weaned from subsisting upon the nonspiritual energies of temporal existence. The slothful animal mind rebels at the effort required to wrestle with cosmic problem solving.

100:4.3 (1097.7) But the great problem of religious living consists in the task of unifying the soul powers of the personality by the dominance of love. Health, mental efficiency, and happiness arise from the unification of physical systems, mind systems, and spirit systems. Of health and sanity man understands much, but of happiness he has truly realized very little. The highest happiness is indissolubly linked with spiritual progress. Spiritual growth yields lasting joy, peace which passes all understanding.

Me here: Truth is living, dynamic, and progressive; and the pursuit of truth can only happen in the living….decisions, decisions, and more decisions….brings each mind to the intersections of relationship and choice in which meaning and value (truth) may be found.  But only ARE found by an open and seeking and prayerful mind. 

We are taught that ignorance (lack of knowledge) and prejudice (the love of and confidence in one’s current state of ignorance) are the greatest of obstacles to progress in the Spirit and experiential wisdom…both...or...as a friend describes it, prejudice is an addiction to falsehoods and insincerity!!

We are taught it takes humility and courage to face the discovery of truth.  The text posted above tells us that trust and faith are required for the courage to face uncertainty, commotion, and transformation….transcending yesterday today and today tomorrow in experiential growth…”…conflict persists only in the face of refusal to espouse the higher values connoted in superior meanings.”

One of my favorite sayings is:  If you’re not confused, you’re not paying attention!!!

Too few of us are truly engaged in the “…organization of a philosophic standard of living…”.  We are either content with our current perspective or we are too distracted to even consider the importance and value of such an effort.  But for the sincere religionist who seeks to transfer the seat of identity and transform the tadpole of time to the frog of eternity, there is much TO DO!!  And the to-do list is being observant and discerning at the intersections of choice/decision to discover meanings and values at every opportunity. 

Too many of us make the same choice at the same intersections of circumstance and situation so our circumstances and situations are always the same to us and are the choices/decisions made…it becomes mindless and circular reactions sequence without thought or purpose.

We must learn to be intentional…and purposeful.  Reality is purposeful….unreality is not.

133:5.8 (1477.3) There is unity in the cosmic universe if you could only discern its workings in actuality. The real universe is friendly to every child of the eternal God. The real problem is: How can the finite mind of man achieve a logical, true, and corresponding unity of thought? This universe-knowing state of mind can be had only by conceiving that the quantitative fact and the qualitative value have a common causation in the Paradise Father. Such a conception of reality yields a broader insight into the purposeful unity of universe phenomena; it even reveals a spiritual goal of progressive personality achievement. And this is a concept of unity which can sense the unchanging background of a living universe of continually changing impersonal relations and evolving personal relationships.

8)

PostPosted:  

100:4.4 (1098.1) In physical life the senses tell of the existence of things; mind discovers the reality of meanings; but the spiritual experience reveals to the individual the true values of life. These high levels of human living are attained in the supreme love of God and in the unselfish love of man. If you love your fellow men, you must have discovered their values. Jesus loved men so much because he placed such a high value upon them. You can best discover values in your associates by discovering their motivation. If someone irritates you, causes feelings of resentment, you should sympathetically seek to discern his viewpoint, his reasons for such objectionable conduct. If once you understand your neighbor, you will become tolerant, and this tolerance will grow into friendship and ripen into love.

100:4.5 (1098.2) In the mind’s eye conjure up a picture of one of your primitive ancestors of cave-dwelling times—a short, misshapen, filthy, snarling hulk of a man standing, legs spread, club upraised, breathing hate and animosity as he looks fiercely just ahead. Such a picture hardly depicts the divine dignity of man. But allow us to enlarge the picture. In front of this animated human crouches a saber-toothed tiger. Behind him, a woman and two children. Immediately you recognize that such a picture stands for the beginnings of much that is fine and noble in the human race, but the man is the same in both pictures. Only, in the second sketch you are favored with a widened horizon. You therein discern the motivation of this evolving mortal. His attitude becomes praiseworthy because you understand him. If you could only fathom the motives of your associates, how much better you would understand them. If you could only know your fellows, you would eventually fall in love with them.

100:4.6 (1098.3) You cannot truly love your fellows by a mere act of the will. Love is only born of thoroughgoing understanding of your neighbor’s motives and sentiments. It is not so important to love all men today as it is that each day you learn to love one more human being. If each day or each week you achieve an understanding of one more of your fellows, and if this is the limit of your ability, then you are certainly socializing and truly spiritualizing your personality. Love is infectious, and when human devotion is intelligent and wise, love is more catching than hate. But only genuine and unselfish love is truly contagious. If each mortal could only become a focus of dynamic affection, this benign virus of love would soon pervade the sentimental emotion-stream of humanity to such an extent that all civilization would be encompassed by love, and that would be the realization of the brotherhood of man.

Me here: Notice the link above between true spiritualization of the individual and the realization of the brotherhood of man. Our spiritization and spiritualization are expressed by our ability to understand and learn to love another human, and then another, and another….and not just those who appear lovely to us or with whom we agree….remember the barbarous caveman above….no, we are to learn to widen the angle of our own perspective….to remove the beams of unworthiness from our own eye….to humble ourselves while exalting the soul and light and destiny potential in others!! We cannot love and cherish, like Jesus did/does, while judging and measuring another’s worth. And if we cannot learn such perspective and such love and such humility….then are we growing in the Spirit?

Can those who claim eternal destiny for ourselves while denying it for others, especially the vast majority of others, finding them as inferior to ourselves and lacking sufficient value to survive this life and world….can such ones be so certain of our/their own spiritual standing? Are we not judged by how we serve and treat the least of God’s children? And who are the least anyway? A funny, truly humorous saying….for one must first judge someone as the least and then become humbled by the objective recognition and evaluation of that personal determination sufficiently to wash their feet and carry their burden and overlook their supposed transgressions to then serve them with love….an interesting paradoxical lesson in self examination and self importance I think.

How we view our world’s situation and promise with the time unit perspective of past and future is similar to how we must view other individuals….their past and their potential destiny illuminate their motives and their circumstances in ways which should soften our view and deliver tolerance and affection for the struggles of others. Otherwise, we are but the barbarous caveman ourselves…but without the justifying woman and two children in the background….just self centered and self important primitives after all.

41:10.5 (466.4) Urantia is comparatively isolated on the outskirts of Satania, your solar system, with one exception, being the farthest removed from Jerusem, while Satania itself is next to the outermost system of Norlatiadek, and this constellation is now traversing the outer fringe of Nebadon. You were truly among the least of all creation until Michael’s bestowal elevated your planet to a position of honor and great universe interest. Sometimes the last is first, while truly the least becomes greatest.

176:3.5 (1917.1) “To every one who has, more shall be given, and he shall have abundance; but from him who has not, even that which he has shall be taken away. You cannot stand still in the affairs of the eternal kingdom. My Father requires all his children to grow in grace and in a knowledge of the truth. You who know these truths must yield the increase of the fruits of the spirit and manifest a growing devotion to the unselfish service of your fellow servants. And remember that, inasmuch as you minister to one of the least of my brethren, you have done this service to me.

155:3.4 (1727.4) Increasingly they learned from Jesus to look upon human personalities in terms of their possibilities in time and in eternity. They learned that many souls can best be led to love the unseen God by being first taught to love their brethren whom they can see. And it was in this connection that new meaning became attached to the Master’s pronouncement concerning unselfish service for one’s fellows: “Inasmuch as you did it to one of the least of my brethren, you did it to me.”

Me here: What is the worth of a soul and its flicker of light within? Since all or nearly all humans on Urantia give birth to soul and soul can of its own volition respond to the TA and worship God, then we might wish to consider the worth and the potential of every soul on Urantia I think. Soul is not mind or body. What are we judging when we determine the value of another I wonder? Perhaps it is that we judge primarily ourselves in our measure of the value of others? Is how we judge others – both individually and collectively – and their worthiness a true measure and determination of our own value TO others? Just thinking out loud…..

156:5.9 (1739.4) Make not the mistake of estimating the soul’s worth by the imperfections of the mind or by the appetites of the body. Judge not the soul nor evaluate its destiny by the standard of a single unfortunate human episode. Your spiritual destiny is conditioned only by your spiritual longings and purposes.

8)

PostPosted:  

I recall the Lord’s prayer where Jesus taught us to pray for forgiveness AS we have forgiven others.

We are to judge, to discern, to gain insight and wisdom….but this is situational and circumstantial….it is to find meaning and assess value at the intersections of choice and in the repercussions of those choices….it is for the purpose of learning….and religious growth and spiritualization of the mind and soul….to discover and express truth, beauty, and goodness in our loving service.

How does one serve those judged inferior and unworthy in spirit?  We are taught that God knows the true inner motives and intentions while we can only judge the acts – often foolish, immature, inexperienced, unwise, and tainted by fear, doubts, and other material gravity responses – Jesus said “Make not the mistake of estimating the soul’s worth by the imperfections of the mind or by the appetites of the body…..”.  And in 100:4.6….”….Love is only born of thoroughgoing understanding of your neighbor’s motives and sentiments….”

So….can we truly love others whom we also find lacking in spiritual value?  It appears from the text that in the finding of the lack in others we have really only discovered our own evil, immaturity, and questionable value!  Such judgements by a mind would seem to specifically identify one whose Religion In Human Experience is limited, blinded by a rather large beam, prideful, narrow minded, immature, and lacking love, hope, trust, and humility.

As a child and since, the parables of the Good Shepherd and the Good Samaritan and the Prodigal Son have always inspired me to lay aside such judgements as to the worth and value….and the inner motives….of all others without considering all the variables of experience, lack of examples, horrific examples and experiences suffered and endured, the fears and anxieties, the burdens of the care for others, social prejudice and intolerances suffered….all of these and more that we do not and most often cannot know about others…and yet we are commanded to consider these and seek out the inner light and not judge others harshly (as in claiming 90-99% of other souls are damned to oblivion by their unworthiness for soul survival by our own harsh – or twisted mathematical – calculations).  Such claims are beyond evil/error in my opinion….it is the embrace of sinfulness to so judge an entire world and 7 billion souls unknown to us in such ways I think.

Jesus says we treat Him as we treat the least of our fellows….Beware such judgements and behaviors and pride!

Jesus said: 148:4.3 (1660.2) “Evil is the unconscious or unintended transgression of the divine law, the Father’s will. Evil is likewise the measure of the imperfectness of obedience to the Father’s will.

and: 148:4.6 (1660.5) “By nature, before the rebirth of the spirit, mortal man is subject to inherent evil tendencies, but such natural imperfections of behavior are neither sin nor iniquity. Mortal man is just beginning his long ascent to the perfection of the Father in Paradise. To be imperfect or partial in natural endowment is not sinful. Man is indeed subject to evil, but he is in no sense the child of the evil one unless he has knowingly and deliberately chosen the paths of sin and the life of iniquity. Evil is inherent in the natural order of this world, but sin is an attitude of conscious rebellion which was brought to this world by those who fell from spiritual light into gross darkness.”

I wonder who of us hopes to be judged and forgiven as we do now judge and forgive others?  Or will we learn to seek a greater understanding of and affection for all others to receive such grace and mercy for ourselves?  See 100:5.1 below related to “lost” and consider how many of us are so lost either by our confidence in religious authority or our rejections of such authorities.  “The world is filled with lost souls, NOT lost in the theologic sense but lost in the directional meaning, wandering about in confusion among the isms and cults of a frustrated philosophic era.”

For me, this is the most meaningful, valuable, and powerful purpose of the Revelation I have discovered….a philosophy of living, a perspective of myself, all others, our world, and God’s friendly universe from origins to destinies.  What a wonderful gift – this expanded and integrated view of reality.  What a source of hope and humility and trust and inclusion….what a wondrous portrayal to share with our brothers and sisters of the glorious reality in which we all abide…..especially when compared to the more common planetary and personal doom and gloom warnings and anxieties taught in the churches of my youth and still today….even some here who have this Good News Revelation in hand….oh dear.

Speaking of warnings, Section 5 of Paper 100 includes several warnings and dangers of Religion In Human Experience.

5. Conversion and Mysticism

100:5.1 (1098.4) The world is filled with lost souls, not lost in the theologic sense but lost in the directional meaning, wandering about in confusion among the isms and cults of a frustrated philosophic era. Too few have learned how to install a philosophy of living in the place of religious authority. (The symbols of socialized religion are not to be despised as channels of growth, albeit the river bed is not the river.)

100:5.2 (1098.5) The progression of religious growth leads from stagnation through conflict to co-ordination, from insecurity to undoubting faith, from confusion of cosmic consciousness to unification of personality, from the temporal objective to the eternal, from the bondage of fear to the liberty of divine sonship.

100:5.3 (1099.1) It should be made clear that professions of loyalty to the supreme ideals — the psychic, emotional, and spiritual awareness of God-consciousness — may be a natural and gradual growth or may sometimes be experienced at certain junctures, as in a crisis. The Apostle Paul experienced just such a sudden and spectacular conversion that eventful day on the Damascus road. Gautama Siddhartha had a similar experience the night he sat alone and sought to penetrate the mystery of final truth. Many others have had like experiences, and many true believers have progressed in the spirit without sudden conversion.

8) Bradly

PostPosted:  

"...professions of loyalty to the supreme ideals - the psychic, emotional, and spiritual awareness of God consciousness...."

My first reading of this Paper 100 was profoundly influential in a dramatic paradigm shift in my perspective and gave new illumination and insight into true religion - that inherent and natural connection between mortal and Deity which creates a relationship of belonging and affection in children and primitives without knowledge or understanding of that relationship but does result in the mortal response to that Presence within.

The UB teaches that the response to the Spirit within is genuine religious experience and our expressions of that experience first result in the joy of feeling and giving love and in generosity and caring and moral discernment and kindness to others. This the unconscious faith response to the Spirit within and the personal religious experience of the mortal connection to the Higher Adjutants and Holy Spirit and the Deity Gravity Circuits of Personality, Mind, and Spirit.

By this connection and response, soul is born and our spiritual progress begins!!

No consciousness, beliefs, knowledge, dogma, creeds, ceremonies, or...."professions" required for such a formative evolutionary religious experience.

But once the evolutionary religious experience has delivered soul, then does the God Fragment or Thought Adjuster begin its ministry of personal revelation of truth, beauty, and goodness. As we grow in the Spirit and gain experience, insight, and wisdom thereby, the time comes when we become conscious, or aware, of the Spirit and our responses must become more deliberate and intentional...we must consciously choose to do what is right.

We must become loyal to the higher ideals, the supreme ideals of God consciousness. This conscious and self chosen religious experience is being born again, the rebirth of the now conscious relationship with and experience of the mortal connection to the Spirit within. Such an intentional commitment to Divine ideals transforms the person and their religious experience with new power and accelerates, magnifies, and amplifies the inner life.

This results in the conscious attachment of the mortal branch to the vine of Deity and delivers the fruits of the Spirit as described so eloquently by the Master.

8)

130:6.4 (1438.1) “This day, my son, you are to be reborn, re-established as a man of faith, courage, and devoted service to man, for God’s sake. And when you become so readjusted to life within yourself, you become likewise readjusted to the universe; you have been born again—born of the spirit—and henceforth will your whole life become one of victorious accomplishment. Trouble will invigorate you; disappointment will spur you on; difficulties will challenge you; and obstacles will stimulate you. Arise, young man! Say farewell to the life of cringing fear and fleeing cowardice. Hasten back to duty and live your life in the flesh as a son of God, a mortal dedicated to the ennobling service of man on earth and destined to the superb and eternal service of God in eternity.”

Me here: The UB teaches that human life should be celebrated as a personalized religious experience and journey and all mortals with souls are engaged with and connected to the Divine Presence within and receive Divine Assurance and Affection in their journey and experience and the expressions of that experience.

195:5.8 (2075.11) Religion is designed to find those values in the universe which call forth faith, trust, and assurance; religion culminates in worship. Religion discovers for the soul those supreme values which are in contrast with the relative values discovered by the mind. Such superhuman insight can be had only through genuine religious experience.

PostPosted:  

100:5.4 (1099.2) Most of the spectacular phenomena associated with so-called religious conversions are entirely psychologic in nature, but now and then there do occur experiences which are also spiritual in origin. When the mental mobilization is absolutely total on any level of the psychic upreach toward spirit attainment, when there exists perfection of the human motivation of loyalties to the divine idea, then there very often occurs a sudden down-grasp of the indwelling spirit to synchronize with the concentrated and consecrated purpose of the superconscious mind of the believing mortal. And it is such experiences of unified intellectual and spiritual phenomena that constitute the conversion which consists in factors over and above purely psychologic involvement.

100:5.5 (1099.3) But emotion alone is a false conversion; one must have faith as well as feeling. To the extent that such psychic mobilization is partial, and in so far as such human-loyalty motivation is incomplete, to that extent will the experience of conversion be a blended intellectual, emotional, and spiritual reality.

100:5.6 (1099.4) If one is disposed to recognize a theoretical subconscious mind as a practical working hypothesis in the otherwise unified intellectual life, then, to be consistent, one should postulate a similar and corresponding realm of ascending intellectual activity as the superconscious level, the zone of immediate contact with the indwelling spirit entity, the Thought Adjuster. The great danger in all these psychic speculations is that visions and other so-called mystic experiences, along with extraordinary dreams, may be regarded as divine communications to the human mind. In times past, divine beings have revealed themselves to certain God-knowing persons, not because of their mystic trances or morbid visions, but in spite of all these phenomena.

100:5.7 (1099.5) In contrast with conversion-seeking, the better approach to the morontia zones of possible contact with the Thought Adjuster would be through living faith and sincere worship, wholehearted and unselfish prayer. Altogether too much of the uprush of the memories of the unconscious levels of the human mind has been mistaken for divine revelations and spirit leadings.

Link to keyword search for "superconscious":

I know of notable UB scholars who believe that the human superconscious is mortal morontia-mind or soul. I think these quotes from Paper 111 support and are the source of such belief. A study of "cosmic mind" would be beneficial when considering superconsciousness and Religion In Human Experience!!

Link to keyword search for "cosmic mind":

111:2.1 (1217.5) Throughout the mind functions of cosmic intelligence, the totality of mind is dominant over the parts of intellectual function. Mind, in its essence, is functional unity; therefore does mind never fail to manifest this constitutive unity, even when hampered and hindered by the unwise actions and choices of a misguided self. And this unity of mind invariably seeks for spirit co-ordination on all levels of its association with selves of will dignity and ascension prerogatives.

111:2.2 (1217.6) The material mind of mortal man is the cosmic loom that carries the morontia fabrics on which the indwelling Thought Adjuster threads the spirit patterns of a universe character of enduring values and divine meanings—a surviving soul of ultimate destiny and unending career, a potential finaliter.

111:2.3 (1218.1) The human personality is identified with mind and spirit held together in functional relationship by life in a material body. This functioning relationship of such mind and spirit does not result in some combination of the qualities or attributes of mind and spirit but rather in an entirely new, original, and unique universe value of potentially eternal endurance, the soul.

111:2.4 (1218.2) There are three and not two factors in the evolutionary creation of such an immortal soul. These three antecedents of the morontia human soul are:

111:2.5 (1218.3) 1. The human mind and all cosmic influences antecedent thereto and impinging thereon.

111:2.6 (1218.4) 2. The divine spirit indwelling this human mind and all potentials inherent in such a fragment of absolute spirituality together with all associated spiritual influences and factors in human life.

111:2.7 (1218.5) 3. The relationship between material mind and divine spirit, which connotes a value and carries a meaning not found in either of the contributing factors to such an association. The reality of this unique relationship is neither material nor spiritual but morontial. It is the soul.

111:2.8 (1218.6) The midway creatures have long denominated this evolving soul of man the mid-mind in contradistinction to the lower or material mind and the higher or cosmic mind. This mid-mind is really a morontia phenomenon since it exists in the realm between the material and the spiritual. The potential of such a morontia evolution is inherent in the two universal urges of mind: the impulse of the finite mind of the creature to know God and attain the divinity of the Creator, and the impulse of the infinite mind of the Creator to know man and attain the experience of the creature.

111:2.9 (1218.7) This supernal transaction of evolving the immortal soul is made possible because the mortal mind is first personal and second is in contact with superanimal realities; it possesses a supermaterial endowment of cosmic ministry which insures the evolution of a moral nature capable of making moral decisions, thereby effecting a bona fide creative contact with the associated spiritual ministries and with the indwelling Thought Adjuster.

111:2.10 (1218.8) The inevitable result of such a contactual spiritualization of the human mind is the gradual birth of a soul, the joint offspring of an adjutant mind dominated by a human will that craves to know God, working in liaison with the spiritual forces of the universe which are under the overcontrol of an actual fragment of the very God of all creation—the Mystery Monitor. And thus does the material and mortal reality of the self transcend the temporal limitations of the physical-life machine and attain a new expression and a new identification in the evolving vehicle for selfhood continuity, the morontia and immortal soul.

Me here: Please note the words "inevitable" "result" and "contactual spiritualization" in 111:2.10 just above. THIS is one of the most profound and important teachings in all of the Revelation!! God designs and installs multiple contact mechanisms and presence within the human mind...from birth!! We are connected to God. We do not have to search for, believe in, or understand this connection for its INEVITABLE RESULT! This Divine Presence and Connection delivers an awareness and response circuitry and functionality that delivers a faith experience and religious experience that does not depend upon knowledge, belief, or understanding for its function and results. Morality and idealism and hope and assurance come to us as children, no matter how primitive our culture or time period and no matter the many superstitions which attend such a phenomenon.

I hope you understand, or at least appreciate, the implications of such a fact and truth!!

We are connected to God...always...and from our beginning. And if we have hopes or ideals or morality or love or experience or express truth, beauty, and goodness...then that is proof positive of our religious experience and connection to God and God's Divine Affection for the children of God!!

:!: :idea: :biggrin: 8) Bradly