Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:52 am +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted:  

My Dear Friends and Fellow Students,

I would like to introduce and share a study of Paper 100 – Religion In Human Experience – with those who attend here and I look forward to your insights as to the teachings, meanings, and value discovered together. This is the first Paper I read nearly 5 decades ago and it is the one I return to most often for inspiration, guidance, and truth upon this spiritual and religious journey of mine. While I have read the entire book many times, this Paper I have read countless times. Indeed, of all the Papers, it is my opinion that this particular one stands upon its own in powerful and unique ways that speaks to the mind and heart of all religionists and believers and seekers.

I first read this Teaching as a student of the Jesusonian Way, the Tao, and Zen….all paths to Being and Becoming. The Paper profoundly integrated these Ways into what I describe and aspire to live as The Tadpole Way!!
Interesting to me, that this is right in the middle of the UB and is where the book fell open upon my first touch and has remained the core and central source of my instruction ever since.

It is my intention to take considerable time to post, incrementally, the entire Paper in this study to consider every element of The Teaching found within. None of you are so restricted of course!!! Feel free to post supporting text from throughout the UB or to skip forward and back as you wish. While I hope this becomes a study of a particular Paper, it is filled with so many topics of import that we must consider other Papers and concepts to support such a study.

For those who seek the meaning of life and how to achieve true happiness and how best to approach this dual nature within ourselves and formulate an effective Philosophy For Living this mortal life, this Paper offers so much to consider regarding the very art of Living…it is a why to and how to instructional to achieve harmony, balance, peace, contentment, trust, faith and how to express those in our daily life in meaningful ways which lead to a sure attachment to the Living Vine and the resulting Fruits of The Spirit.

It is not an instructional or commandment list of what to do or when. It is a celebration of the unique, personal, and endless individual experiences in and expressions of The Spirit Within. It is more about Why and How, than what and when. We must each live our religion and it is our own religious experience that determines our inner motives for living daily, our intentions at the intersections of choice, our priorities in this life, and how all those determine the actual choices we make day by day. Experiential wisdom and spiritual growth (spiritization) only come over time by the living and the choosing we do while living.

Welcome to The Tadpole Way!!!

To begin here is a link to the Paper in the digital and audio version of the UB:

https://truthbook.com/urantia-book/pape ... experience

If you have not done so, I recommend both a reading of the text and a listening of the audio version, both on the same page at the link above.

Religion in Human Experience

(1094.1) 100:0.1 THE experience of dynamic religious living transforms the mediocre individual into a personality of idealistic power. Religion ministers to the progress of all through fostering the progress of each individual, and the progress of each is augmented through the achievement of all.

(1094.2) 100:0.2 Spiritual growth is mutually stimulated by intimate association with other religionists. Love supplies the soil for religious growth — an objective lure in the place of subjective gratification — yet it yields the supreme subjective satisfaction. And religion ennobles the commonplace drudgery of daily living.

Bradly 8)

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted:  

8)

The next quotes introduce the concept of loyalty…a most important concept. While children are most impressed by the loyalties of parents and leaders, our personal loyalty to the spirit nature within (of our dual nature options and realities) determines the transfer of the seat of our identity (quote welcome). It is our personal loyalty to love and to the mysterious spirit within, the small still voice, that determines our motives, intentions, and priorities in life. To which are we MOST loyal? To self interest? Or to the commandments of our Lord…to love God and others, or one another? For self interest is material, temporal…while the interest in the best outcome for another and all others is God centered. This is not against our own self interest….not to the mind who is reality centered and aware of the reality of God within and the brotherhood/sisterhood of humanity and ALL of God’s creatures…my interests are best served by the interests of ALL.

1. Religious Growth

100:1.1 (1094.3) While religion produces growth of meanings and enhancement of values, evil always results when purely personal evaluations are elevated to the levels of absolutes. A child evaluates experience in accordance with the content of pleasure; maturity is proportional to the substitution of higher meanings for personal pleasure, even loyalties to the highest concepts of diversified life situations and cosmic relations.

100:1.2 (1094.4) Some persons are too busy to grow and are therefore in grave danger of spiritual fixation. Provision must be made for growth of meanings at differing ages, in successive cultures, and in the passing stages of advancing civilization. The chief inhibitors of growth are prejudice and ignorance.

100:1.3 (1094.5) Give every developing child a chance to grow his own religious experience; do not force a ready-made adult experience upon him. Remember, year-by-year progress through an established educational regime does not necessarily mean intellectual progress, much less spiritual growth. Enlargement of vocabulary does not signify development of character. Growth is not truly indicated by mere products but rather by progress. Real educational growth is indicated by enhancement of ideals, increased appreciation of values, new meanings of values, and augmented loyalty to supreme values.

100:1.4 (1094.6) Children are permanently impressed only by the loyalties of their adult associates; precept or even example is not lastingly influential. Loyal persons are growing persons, and growth is an impressive and inspiring reality. Live loyally today — grow — and tomorrow will attend to itself. The quickest way for a tadpole to become a frog is to live loyally each moment as a tadpole.

Ahhhh…The Tadpole Way!!!!!

Are we loyal to God within? Are we loyal to universe reality? Do we respond to Love? Do we care for others? Do we trust the Lord? Do we so sufficiently to live in sublime confidence and contentment in ultimate outcomes? If so, then we are indeed making Circle Progress and approach our destiny as Finaliters and Eternal Adventurers in God’s Friendly Universe!!
This eternal adventure is not a race nor does it depend, in this life on knowledge or accurate belief, but only depends upon this loyalty, a tadpoles loyalty, in God’s grace and friendly universe!!

This is not merely the good news…but the greatest of all news a revelation to humanity might ever deliver…or so I think and believe.

And because of the Father’s Spirit (Thought Adjuster), the Mother’s Spirit (Holy Spirit and Adjutants), and the Son’s Spirit (Spirit of Truth delivered at Pentecost)….every human mind is ministered to in very intimate, personal ways to bring this truth to every one of us in very personal ways….we are each and all so ‘adjusted’ and ‘spoken’ to in so many ways which deliver…Religion In Human Experience.

THE TADPOLE WAY!!!!!!!

Believe, strive, and express as we pass by…. 8)

PostPosted:  

Please note that Religion In Human Experience not only transforms the individual mortal but thereby transforms society and the world. We are told that our progress through science and morals and ethics can never rise higher than our faith. Progress will always be limited by spirituality. The spirituality of individuals. Social problems and challenges will be solved by the fruits of the Spirit as more and more of us attach our branch to the vine.

Experiential wisdom and maturity is evolutionary and delivers planetary results by the social aggregation and integration of individual religious experience. Notice in 0.1 above how social progress also feeds and supports or "fosters" the progress of the individual.

Note the "chief inhibitors of growth" in 1.2 above. Recall we are taught just how ignorant we mortals of Urantia are. But its not ignorance alone that's the chief inhibitor of growth - it's prejudice + ignorance! Curiosity and an open mind cures ignorance. But the love of and loyalty to our current opinions and knowledge (or rather ignorance) combined with the lack of facts, knowledge, and reality objectivity are the chief inhibitors of growth.

132:3.4 (1459.4) Revealed truth, personally discovered truth, is the supreme delight of the human soul; it is the joint creation of the material mind and the indwelling spirit. The eternal salvation of this truth-discerning and beauty-loving soul is assured by that hunger and thirst for goodness which leads this mortal to develop a singleness of purpose to do the Father’s will, to find God and to become like him. There is never conflict between true knowledge and truth. There may be conflict between knowledge and human beliefs, beliefs colored with prejudice, distorted by fear, and dominated by the dread of facing new facts of material discovery or spiritual progress.

132:3.5 (1459.5) But truth can never become man’s possession without the exercise of faith. This is true because man’s thoughts, wisdom, ethics, and ideals will never rise higher than his faith, his sublime hope. And all such true faith is predicated on profound reflection, sincere self-criticism, and uncompromising moral consciousness. Faith is the inspiration of the spiritized creative imagination.

12:7.11 Brotherhood constitutes a fact of relationship between every personality in universal existence. No person can escape the benefits or the penalties that may come as a result of relationship to other persons. The part profits or suffers in measure with the whole. The good effort of each man benefits all men; the error or evil of each man augments the tribulation of all men. As moves the part, so moves the whole. As the progress of the whole, so the progress of the part. The relative velocities of part and whole determine whether the part is retarded by the inertia of the whole or is carried forward by the momentum of the cosmic brotherhood.

160:1.13 Prejudice blinds the soul to the recognition of truth, and prejudice can be removed only by the sincere devotion of the soul to the adoration of a cause that is all-embracing and all-inclusive of one's fellow men. Prejudice is inseparably linked to selfishness. Prejudice can be eliminated only by the abandonment of self-seeking and by substituting therefor the quest of the satisfaction of the service of a cause that is not only greater than self, but one that is even greater than all humanity — the search for God, the attainment of divinity. The evidence of maturity of personality consists in the transformation of human desire so that it constantly seeks for the realization of those values which are highest and most divinely real.

Me here: The dangers of misplaced loyalty - the loyalty to one's own opinion rather that a loyalty to the discovery of and education about universe reality and/or the misplaced and blinding loyalty to self vs. the enlightened loyalty to faith and all other beings.

To learn more about the very human tendency of prejudice, especially religious prejudice, here is a link to that keyword search. Note that the Master taught much about the dangers and obstacles of prejudice, often compared to blindness:

https://truthbook.com/search/UBParagrap ... &start=all

8)

PostPosted:  

As is usual when studying the UB, what comes next so often clarifies and specifies issues just read….it has always impressed me how the authors wrote in such a way as to both anticipate questions and lead the mind to questions like bread crumbs through the forest of discovery! After thusly seeing enough trees in our reading of the text, is the forest of truth and universe reality revealed!

100:1.5 (1094.7) The soil essential for religious growth presupposes a progressive life of self-realization, the co-ordination of natural propensities, the exercise of curiosity and the enjoyment of reasonable adventure, the experiencing of feelings of satisfaction, the functioning of the fear stimulus of attention and awareness, the wonder-lure, and a normal consciousness of smallness, humility. Growth is also predicated on the discovery of selfhood accompanied by self-criticism — conscience, for conscience is really the criticism of oneself by one’s own value-habits, personal ideals.

100:1.6 (1095.1) Religious experience is markedly influenced by physical health, inherited temperament, and social environment. But these temporal conditions do not inhibit inner spiritual progress by a soul dedicated to the doing of the will of the Father in heaven. There are present in all normal mortals certain innate drives toward growth and self-realization which function if they are not specifically inhibited. The certain technique of fostering this constitutive endowment of the potential of spiritual growth is to maintain an attitude of wholehearted devotion to supreme values.

100:1.7 (1095.2) Religion cannot be bestowed, received, loaned, learned, or lost. It is a personal experience which grows proportionally to the growing quest for final values. Cosmic growth thus attends on the accumulation of meanings and the ever-expanding elevation of values. But nobility itself is always an unconscious growth.

Me here: I think 1.5 above teaches us that the very “discovery of selfhood”….the yearn and curiosity and wonder lure and the joys of discovery and learning and growth itself is the beginning, perhaps, of the desire for the branch to attach itself to the vine…to connect to the very source of all these feelings. And by such a connection and experience does the fruit begin to appear on the branch.

Notice how humility and self criticism come into play….the very antithesis of prejudice. The branch grows increasingly loyal to the vine I think, especially when the fruits of the Spirit deliver happiness, contentment, patience, kindness, joy….to be shared in loving service….which further strengthens the branch and grows ever more fruit. The growth of wisdom by such experience only adds to the strength of the branch.

According to my understanding, it also grows and strengthens the vine as well as the branch…as represented by the Supreme who also grows as all the fruit on all the branches grows too.

“…innate drives…function….if not specifically inhibited….”

Indeed! Again....Religion In Human Experience" is natural and innate - it is what humanity is designed and built and engineered and evolved for, it is our very purpose!! Our religious experience happens if we do specifically inhibit it by our choices and our prejudices. Perfection hunger is the yearn and the thirst delivered by the Thought Adjuster, our co-parent of our very soul!!

100:1.8 (1095.3) Religious habits of thinking and acting are contributory to the economy of spiritual growth. One can develop religious predispositions toward favorable reaction to spiritual stimuli, a sort of conditioned spiritual reflex. Habits which favor religious growth embrace cultivated sensitivity to divine values, recognition of religious living in others, reflective meditation on cosmic meanings, worshipful problem solving, sharing one’s spiritual life with one’s fellows, avoidance of selfishness, refusal to presume on divine mercy, living as in the presence of God. The factors of religious growth may be intentional, but the growth itself is unvaryingly unconscious.

100:1.9 (1095.4) The unconscious nature of religious growth does not, however, signify that it is an activity functioning in the supposed subconscious realms of human intellect; rather does it signify creative activities in the superconscious levels of mortal mind. The experience of the realization of the reality of unconscious religious growth is the one positive proof of the functional existence of the superconsciousness.

2. Spiritual Growth

100:2.1 (1095.5) Spiritual development depends, first, on the maintenance of a living spiritual connection with true spiritual forces and, second, on the continuous bearing of spiritual fruit: yielding the ministry to one’s fellows of that which has been received from one’s spiritual benefactors. Spiritual progress is predicated on intellectual recognition of spiritual poverty coupled with the self-consciousness of perfection-hunger, the desire to know God and be like him, the wholehearted purpose to do the will of the Father in heaven.

Me here: There are so many related concepts that might take this study to any part of the Papers and teachings. And did indeed, for me, deliver me to every Paper and every page and every word of the text in search for the description of universe reality and truth found within its pages.

8)