Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:07 pm +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted:  

Quote:
160:5.3 If something has become a religion in your experience, it is self-evident that you already have become an active evangel of that religion since you deem the supreme concept of your religion as being worthy of the worship of all mankind, all universe intelligences. If you are not a positive and missionary evangel of your religion, you are self-deceived in that what you call a religion is only a traditional belief or a mere system of intellectual philosophy. If your religion is a spiritual experience, your object of worship must be the universal spirit reality and ideal of all your spiritualized concepts. All religions based on fear, emotion, tradition, and philosophy I term the intellectual religions, while those based on true spirit experience I would term the true religions. The object of religious devotion may be material or spiritual, true or false, real or unreal, human or divine. Religions can therefore be either good or evil.

In these comments we discover the leash attached to the elephant in the room. Evangelizing a "here is what I know" program is lifeless and ineffective. Evangelizing a "here is what happened in my life" program seems self serving to others in as much as the experience of any single individual is not transferable to others. Evangelizing a "here is what is happening in me and this can happen in you", as Jesus teaches is too scary for most of us. It requires more than what we have come to realize as faith (belief). It requires a thorough and complete devotion to transcendent spiritual reality substianted by the fruit of the spirit. Since our skeptical world view makes even non-seekers into professional fruit inspectors we find ourselves in the position so well stated by many, "not me, I am not ready". Why not?

I think the answer is simple. We simply cannot find a way to explain what the Urantia Book is to ourselves in a way that truly makes sense in relation to this world. We can't explain why it is here and all that, without using the book itself, which requires the person to whom we are explaining, be understanding of the terms, as we are, yet we are not. All we are really able to do is invite others to join our quest to find it out for real what this revelation really means and what it is here for. Not much to evangelize in that.

The alternative is to evangelize the reality of the spirit in us without making our intent be to share the book. That is the elephant. That requires our personal growth. So we press on, we will get there if we don't give up.

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted:  

A fair criticism I must admit this passage Jim George shared, denotes me as "mere" philosophical speculations. Therefore, I can only amplify the supernal qualities of others actual "inevitably evangels" religionists. And to admit that philosophy does not in itself lead to the supernal manifestations of finality, after the evangels are adopted into the homes throughout Urantia.

Maybe there is some former lessons, in the codiality and manners of Jesus of Nazareth, by the formal process in which he was acculturement, acceptance, and finally adoption by Salome of Caphernaum. Because this he is sharing publicly, and teaching privately, his best secrets to the evangels, how he earned a place in a house of the family, bound by Rabbinical Laws (Levitical Traditions?), which was tied to the delegative authority of the Judaean Sadducees of his time. Perhaps if you believe in the Spirit of Truth, or the actuality of the manifestation of Jesus' morontia identity (if not now at least 2,000 years before now), then there is enough in the universe, for that type of instruction to still exist, even if archetypally or Supremely. An evangel is not bound necessarily to Religious Law, but perhaps (1) to the commitment and guidance of his leader, (2) must adapt to the spiritual customs of seraphic planetary government.

Maybe Billy Graham is an actual evangel, in this sense that he and his customs, his beliefs, were adopted "into the homes through the Television". But the way he communicated is more like the "Local Universe Broadcasts", and less like the individuation quality of communications received from "Mighty Messangers". When the evangels go out, they go out "without purse". Don't point to publicly-identified, self-professed evangels, please. Johnny Appleseed was the last one that I can remember, even this is questionable. Nanaak, Muhammad, yes.

One issue is that the world of Thomas Diderot, Webster, and the staters of fact, is that we have this "formula" for what is an evangel. Wrong. We cannot use tautological conceptions for this identity-term. People are therefore receiving their instructions from universities and from formulaic definitions, rather than from "the spirit which makes all things new", some present impetus. I think, a person cannot actually craft themselves professionally into one whom would be called evangel. WE can find much abuse, by monastic societies, because they are mistakingly using Dictionaries and Encyclopoedias to "ruminate" upon theological concepts. Psychologically, this is very dangerous and Billy Graham is in my opinion partly responsible for the callousness of the ubiquitous "nominal American Christian" society, because of the incompleteness of his presentation of the actuality of the Universal Father. When a person self-identifies in this manner, I believe the power of their testimony becomes weakened, because professions, professing, must be sincere. I want to be an Rabbi, I want to be an Evangel, because it will raise my professional status, and increase my earnings potentials. But I can't say it because I become the trickster in such manner, responsible for the inefficiencies and certain vulnerabilities of my own society.

I know, I know what an evangel actually does. They are like Trinity Teacher Sons. They help families to garner wisdom, to establish prosperity's roots. The evangels "see" some glimpse of the value that God sees in stable marriages, and work in their greatest capacity, as if the self-maintenance, self-preservation, and self-gratification of that home, represented the self-maintenance, self-preservation, and self-gratification for the entire world, the entire society. If that is true, then you can imagine the focus, the enthusiasm, and the dedication, Jesus & the Apostles poured into each one during the prior instructions period.

PostPosted:  

Thank you SEla that shows great bravery and resolve.

PostPosted:  

159:3.2 (1765.4) Always respect the personality of man. Never should a righteous cause be promoted by force; spiritual victories can be won only by spiritual power. This injunction against the employment of material influences refers to psychic force as well as to physical force. Overpowering arguments and mental superiority are not to be employed to coerce men and women into the kingdom. Man’s mind is not to be crushed by the mere weight of logic or overawed by shrewd eloquence. While emotion as a factor in human decisions cannot be wholly eliminated, it should not be directly appealed to in the teachings of those who would advance the cause of the kingdom. Make your appeals directly to the divine spirit that dwells within the minds of men. Do not appeal to fear, pity, or mere sentiment. In appealing to men, be fair; exercise self-control and exhibit due restraint; show proper respect for the personalities of your pupils. Remember that I have said: “Behold, I stand at the door and knock, and if any man will open, I will come in.”

159:3.3 (1765.5) In bringing men into the kingdom, do not lessen or destroy their self-respect. While overmuch self-respect may destroy proper humility and end in pride, conceit, and arrogance, the loss of self-respect often ends in paralysis of the will. It is the purpose of this gospel to restore self-respect to those who have lost it and to restrain it in those who have it. Make not the mistake of only condemning the wrongs in the lives of your pupils; remember also to accord generous recognition for the most praiseworthy things in their lives. Forget not that I will stop at nothing to restore self-respect to those who have lost it, and who really desire to regain it.

159:3.4 (1765.6) Take care that you do not wound the self-respect of timid and fearful souls. Do not indulge in sarcasm at the expense of my simple-minded brethren. Be not cynical with my fear-ridden children. Idleness is destructive of self-respect; therefore, admonish your brethren ever to keep busy at their chosen tasks, and put forth every effort to secure work for those who find themselves without employment.

159:3.5 (1766.1) Never be guilty of such unworthy tactics as endeavoring to frighten men and women into the kingdom. A loving father does not frighten his children into yielding obedience to his just requirements.

159:3.6 (1766.2) Sometime the children of the kingdom will realize that strong feelings of emotion are not equivalent to the leadings of the divine spirit. To be strongly and strangely impressed to do something or to go to a certain place, does not necessarily mean that such impulses are the leadings of the indwelling spirit.

159:3.7 (1766.3) Forewarn all believers regarding the fringe of conflict which must be traversed by all who pass from the life as it is lived in the flesh to the higher life as it is lived in the spirit. To those who live quite wholly within either realm, there is little conflict or confusion, but all are doomed to experience more or less uncertainty during the times of transition between the two levels of living. In entering the kingdom, you cannot escape its responsibilities or avoid its obligations, but remember: The gospel yoke is easy and the burden of truth is light.

159:3.8 (1766.4) The world is filled with hungry souls who famish in the very presence of the bread of life; men die searching for the very God who lives within them. Men seek for the treasures of the kingdom with yearning hearts and weary feet when they are all within the immediate grasp of living faith. Faith is to religion what sails are to a ship; it is an addition of power, not an added burden of life. There is but one struggle for those who enter the kingdom, and that is to fight the good fight of faith. The believer has only one battle, and that is against doubt—unbelief.

159:3.9 (1766.5) In preaching the gospel of the kingdom, you are simply teaching friendship with God. And this fellowship will appeal alike to men and women in that both will find that which most truly satisfies their characteristic longings and ideals. Tell my children that I am not only tender of their feelings and patient with their frailties, but that I am also ruthless with sin and intolerant of iniquity. I am indeed meek and humble in the presence of my Father, but I am equally and relentlessly inexorable where there is deliberate evil-doing and sinful rebellion against the will of my Father in heaven. *

159:3.10 (1766.6) You shall not portray your teacher as a man of sorrows. Future generations shall know also the radiance of our joy, the buoyance of our good will, and the inspiration of our good humor. We proclaim a message of good news which is infectious in its transforming power. Our religion is throbbing with new life and new meanings. Those who accept this teaching are filled with joy and in their hearts are constrained to rejoice evermore. Increasing happiness is always the experience of all who are certain about God.

159:3.11 (1766.7) Teach all believers to avoid leaning upon the insecure props of false sympathy. You cannot develop strong characters out of the indulgence of self-pity; honestly endeavor to avoid the deceptive influence of mere fellowship in misery. Extend sympathy to the brave and courageous while you withhold overmuch pity from those cowardly souls who only halfheartedly stand up before the trials of living. Offer not consolation to those who lie down before their troubles without a struggle. Sympathize not with your fellows merely that they may sympathize with you in return.

159:3.12 (1766.8) When my children once become self-conscious of the assurance of the divine presence, such a faith will expand the mind, ennoble the soul, reinforce the personality, augment the happiness, deepen the spirit perception, and enhance the power to love and be loved.

159:3.13 (1767.1) Teach all believers that those who enter the kingdom are not thereby rendered immune to the accidents of time or to the ordinary catastrophes of nature. Believing the gospel will not prevent getting into trouble, but it will insure that you shall be unafraid when trouble does overtake you. If you dare to believe in me and wholeheartedly proceed to follow after me, you shall most certainly by so doing enter upon the sure pathway to trouble. I do not promise to deliver you from the waters of adversity, but I do promise to go with you through all of them.

PostPosted:  

Jim sez:

Quote:
The alternative is to evangelize the reality of the spirit in us without making our intent be to share the book. That is the elephant. That requires our personal growth. So we press on, we will get there if we don't give up.

This really is an important distinction, imo...if we aim to share only the book - the 5th epochal revelation of God - without also sharing the 4th epochal revelation of God restated in that book, we will not have much luck at all, in an evangelical sense; in the sense that Jesus enjoined us to do: to proclaim the gospel.

But for me, I would not have the understanding that I have of that gospel without The Urantia Book. Nevertheless, while it is possible sometimes to share the gospel of the Kingdom with others, it can be a chancy proposition to share the book. Jesus asked us only to proclaim the gospel. But he also provided this clue about future revelations, too. And I can't help but think of The Urantia Book when I read this:

Quote:
176:2.3 In further answer to Peter's question, Jesus said: “Why do you still look for the Son of Man to sit upon the throne of David and expect that the material dreams of the Jews will be fulfilled? Have I not told you all these years that my kingdom is not of this world? The things which you now look down upon are coming to an end, but this will be a new beginning out of which the gospel of the kingdom will go to all the world and this salvation will spread to all peoples. And when the kingdom shall have come to its full fruition, be assured that the Father in heaven will not fail to visit you with an enlarged revelation of truth and an enhanced demonstration of righteousness, even as he has already bestowed upon this world him who became the prince of darkness, and then Adam, who was followed by Melchizedek, and in these days, the Son of Man. And so will my Father continue to manifest his mercy and show forth his love, even to this dark and evil world. So also will I, after my Father has invested me with all power and authority, continue to follow your fortunes and to guide in the affairs of the kingdom by the presence of my spirit, who shall shortly be poured out upon all flesh. Even though I shall thus be present with you in spirit, I also promise that I will sometime return to this world, where I have lived this life in the flesh and achieved the experience of simultaneously revealing God to man and leading man to God. Very soon must I leave you and take up the work the Father has intrusted to my hands, but be of good courage, for I will sometime return. In the meantime, my Spirit of the Truth of a universe shall comfort and guide you.

The gospel of the Fatherhood of God and the brotherhood of man is a multi-layered gospel; while it is fulfilling as a personal experience, the revelation in the book of what that Fatherhood of God entails is also vital information that can help people who are disoriented to reality. Being able to explain the spiritual meaning and purpose of the universe, for example, and its friendly nature, the loving nature of God - the real history of this world apart from the age-old myths we've grown up with...all of these things, too, can be proclaimed to help lost souls find new moorings in reality - in God. And can be proclaimed without direct reference to the book, but as part of our own understanding of reality.

Of course, none of this information can be shared without someone who is willing to receive it...its a challenge to discover the real needs of those who we come in contact with, and be skillful in meeting those needs with spiritual tools and sensible, factual information. Fortunately, we have the Spirit of Truth to "comfort and guide" us, and to go before us. It seems a vital part of proclaiming, or being a positive evangel, to always involve that good Spirit in all our efforts.

One more nice quote:

Quote:
141:6.4 Do not undertake to show men the beauties of the temple until you have first taken them into the temple. Introduce men to God and as the sons of God before you discourse on the doctrines of the fatherhood of God and the sonship of men. Do not strive with men—always be patient. It is not your kingdom; you are only ambassadors. Simply go forth proclaiming: This is the kingdom of heaven—God is your Father and you are his sons, and this good news, if you wholeheartedly believe it, is your eternal salvation.”

That whole section is great to read: https://truthbook.com/urantia-book/paper-141-beginning-the-public-work#U141_6_0

And pethuel, thanks for posting those instructions for teachers and believers...great info!

PostPosted:  

maryjo606 wrote:
Jim sez:

Quote:

This really is an important distinction, imo...if we aim to share only the book - the 5th epochal revelation of God - without also sharing the 4th epochal revelation of God restated in that book, we will not have much luck at all, in an evangelical sense; in the sense that Jesus enjoined us to do: to proclaim the gospel.

But for me, I would not have the understanding that I have of that gospel without The Urantia Book. Nevertheless, while it is possible sometimes to share the gospel of the Kingdom with others, it can be a chancy proposition to share the book. Jesus asked us only to proclaim the gospel. But he also provided this clue about future revelations, too. And I can't help but think of The Urantia Book when I read this:

Quote:
176:2.3 In further answer to Peter's question, Jesus said: “Why do you still look for the Son of Man to sit upon the throne of David and expect that the material dreams of the Jews will be fulfilled? Have I not told you all these years that my kingdom is not of this world? The things which you now look down upon are coming to an end, but this will be a new beginning out of which the gospel of the kingdom will go to all the world and this salvation will spread to all peoples. And when the kingdom shall have come to its full fruition, be assured that the Father in heaven will not fail to visit you with an enlarged revelation of truth and an enhanced demonstration of righteousness, even as he has already bestowed upon this world him who became the prince of darkness, and then Adam, who was followed by Melchizedek, and in these days, the Son of Man. And so will my Father continue to manifest his mercy and show forth his love, even to this dark and evil world. So also will I, after my Father has invested me with all power and authority, continue to follow your fortunes and to guide in the affairs of the kingdom by the presence of my spirit, who shall shortly be poured out upon all flesh. Even though I shall thus be present with you in spirit, I also promise that I will sometime return to this world, where I have lived this life in the flesh and achieved the experience of simultaneously revealing God to man and leading man to God. Very soon must I leave you and take up the work the Father has intrusted to my hands, but be of good courage, for I will sometime return. In the meantime, my Spirit of the Truth of a universe shall comfort and guide you.

The gospel of the Fatherhood of God and the brotherhood of man is a multi-layered gospel; while it is fulfilling as a personal experience, the revelation in the book of what that Fatherhood of God entails is also vital information that can help people who are disoriented to reality. Being able to explain the spiritual meaning and purpose of the universe, for example, and its friendly nature, the loving nature of God - the real history of this world apart from the age-old myths we've grown up with...all of these things, too, can be proclaimed to help lost souls find new moorings in reality - in God. And can be proclaimed without direct reference to the book, but as part of our own understanding of reality.

Of course, none of this information can be shared without someone who is willing to receive it...its a challenge to discover the real needs of those who we come in contact with, and be skillful in meeting those needs with spiritual tools and sensible, factual information. Fortunately, we have the Spirit of Truth to "comfort and guide" us, and to go before us. It seems a vital part of proclaiming, or being a positive evangel, to always involve that good Spirit in all our efforts.

One more nice quote:

Quote:
141:6.4 Do not undertake to show men the beauties of the temple until you have first taken them into the temple. Introduce men to God and as the sons of God before you discourse on the doctrines of the fatherhood of God and the sonship of men. Do not strive with men—always be patient. It is not your kingdom; you are only ambassadors. Simply go forth proclaiming: This is the kingdom of heaven—God is your Father and you are his sons, and this good news, if you wholeheartedly believe it, is your eternal salvation.”

That whole section is great to read: https://truthbook.com/urantia-book/paper-141-beginning-the-public-work#U141_6_0

And pethuel, thanks for posting those instructions for teachers and believers...great info!

Thanks MaryJo!

I have used quotes from UB in e-mails and occasional posts as seed, without saying they are from the UB. People eat it up and say "Wow, so heavy" or other words to that effect. lf I were to give direct reference to UB then people's receptivity would lower. My only goal in sharing any truth with others is that somehow it will help them to recognize on a private and personal level that they really do want to know God, and once they recognize that desire they will begin to pursue that goal.

What is the purpose of the Truthbook site? Is it not to help people see beyond the confines of traditional Christianity? Is it not to set people free from the old concept of sin and judgement and fear of death? Is it not to dispel archaic notions of Jesus suffering and dying to satisfy the need for a blood (without the shedding of blood there is no remission of sins) sacrifice and other obsolete Judeo-Christian dogmas that no longer satisfy the modern inquiring soul and that true science and true religion can walk hand in hand in the search for deeper truths and the reason for existence?

That is what defines evangelism in relation to the 5th Epochal Revelation, and is not this 5th Epochal Revelation a second coming of Michael in a sense? Another chance for us to see Him in a better light and to.know Him and His message afresh, almost a new bestowal? It is for me anyway, and of course I want others to partake in this new and exciting glimpse of the unfolded and revealed plan of the Father.

PostPosted:  

Quote:
What is the purpose of the Truthbook site? Is it not to help people see beyond the confines of traditional Christianity? Is it not to set people free from the old concept of sin and judgement and fear of death? Is it not to dispel archaic notions of Jesus suffering and dying to satisfy the need for a blood (without the shedding of blood there is no remission of sins) sacrifice and other obsolete Judeo-Christian dogmas that no longer satisfy the modern inquiring soul and that true science and true religion can walk hand in hand in the search for deeper truths and the reason for existence?

That is what defines evangelism in relation to the 5th Epochal Revelation, and is not this 5th Epochal Revelation a second coming of Michael in a sense? Another chance for us to see Him in a better light and to.know Him and His message afresh, almost a new bestowal? It is for me anyway, and of course I want others to partake in this new and exciting glimpse of the unfolded and revealed plan of the Father.

Hey sorry - away for a little while...

But yes, this is quite correct about TruthBook. It was established as an alternative kind of Urantia Book resource - one that is targeted to the "seeking Christian." I put that in quotes because that's the phrase that's always been used here when talking about our audience. It is hoped that a Christian person who may be looking outside the church a little bit might find us and feel at home because, while we are about the entire Urantia Book, our focus is decidedly on Part IV, and on Jesus.

I guess the 5th epochal revelation might be thought of as a continuation of the 4th for sure, since all epochal revelations build on the one previous. In my view The Urantia Book IS all about Jesus, from first to last. So, any attempt to share any part of it ultimately is going to point to Jesus and his teachings - the kingdom and God the Father.

I want this for others, too...very much. I sometimes think that the world history aspects of The Urantia Book are some of the best places to start sharing truth with others. Everyone knows the fables of Adam and Eve, the Garden of Eden, the devil...even a discussion of these events and the truth of them can lead to Jesus and the Kingdom. The truth that God has always wanted, and tried, to fellowship us, and draw us into the fold - and is still doing so, in spite of our darkened state, or maybe because of it. That is a big truth...a discussion of these things can explain the state of the world and a way to frame it for clarity. It makes sense to many people when they know the truth.

And sometimes, when I am given the chance to tell the truth of these things, I have found that others can be receptive to those stories. And if they ask where I found this stuff out, I then share the UB - and TruthBook...but it happens infrequently. Although it happened again just about a month ago, and I have a new friend reading the book...a rare and wonderful experience for me to be able to share it.

PostPosted:  

So the typical truth seeking Christian opens the book for the first time and observes that it begins with diety and then God. Now that should grab the inquiring intellect right away, no??
And then some very new concepts like the absolutes. What compels one to plough through that for understanding?
What goes through the mind of this Christian when presented with evolutionary diety or multiple diety like God the sevenfold? Or Jesus not part of the Trinity?
The higher Adjutants and the spirit of truth and our Mother spirit need to be functioning in order to keep this reader reading even before they understand what or who these entities are - don’t you think?
How does one’s religious background impact the desire and effort it takes to study this revelation? Is a religious background really necessary? The Christians I know cringe at the thought of any of the above concepts.
Growth is a beach. You really got to want it.

PostPosted:  

no sophist sez:

Quote:
The higher Adjutants and the spirit of truth and our Mother spirit need to be functioning in order to keep this reader reading even before they understand what or who these entities are - don’t you think?
How does one’s religious background impact the desire and effort it takes to study this revelation? Is a religious background really necessary? The Christians I know cringe at the thought of any of the above concepts.
Growth is a beach. You really got to want it.

I agree that those spiritual agencies have to be functioning and active - and I think the fact that some Christian people dare to look outside the Christian box is a testament to that functioning in some souls...the truth is a powerful lure but it doesn't attract everyone! But even if a Christian's upbringing may be a hindrance sometimes, the inner resonance of truth can be a powerful evidence that one is on the right track if one is a sincere seeker. I sometimes think that NOT having a particular religious background may be a plus, when considering the UB...less error to think over and feel guilty about!

But yes - I agree the seeker has to want it...really want it. The faint of heart can't withstand the fear of God that is so pervasive on this dark world. But this friend I told you about...here's a devoted Catholic who is also a truthseeker. He wants to KNOW. We got to yakking about life after death, about time and how it seems to go so fast the older we get (we are in our 70s). I said that I thought it was because we are getting closer and closer to eternity where time is always NOW. And he said - I kid you not - he said: "I wish there was a book somewhere that talks about these things - a book that's not the Bible." Talk about an opportunity!!! He is still quite devoted to Catholicism, but he is finding the book a compelling read...keeps it on his nightstand, he says.

We now have conversations about angels, and Adam and Eve...one of the first things he read was The Crucifixion paper, and was very impressed by that. I advised him to start by just going through the Table of Contents and pick out topics that interested him...not to read from page 1...although I think any truthseeker might find those God papers pretty compelling...one thing I really like about them is that the revelators used so many Bible passages in there, as if to invite the Christian reader...small steps.

PostPosted:  

I am often at a loss as to how to advise a potential first time reader to approach the book.
I suppose that our personal relationship as well as my impression of the person and the opportunity (like your catholic friend) that may present itself will give the necessary clue. I think thats wisdom working.
For Christians like my son, I like to advise to start with the Ganid Jesus visit to the library in Alexandria where Ganid discovers the similarities that the worlds religions have.
This to me was a revelation in itself that any religionist should be able to relate to and discover value.
It didn't work but hey, maybe next time.
I also consider how I approached the book for the first time.
I did not get any advice from anyone. I ignored much that was confusing and difficult to understand and went to papers that I could and it all fell into place over time because I realized its value from the begining.

PostPosted:  

quoting no sophist here: "And then some very new concepts like the absolutes. What compels one to plough through that for understanding?
What goes through the mind of this Christian when presented with evolutionary diety or multiple diety like God the sevenfold? Or Jesus not part of the Trinity?
The higher Adjutants and the spirit of truth and our Mother spirit need to be functioning in order to keep this reader reading even before they understand what or who these entities are - don’t you think?"

I really don't know the dynamic behind my experience the first time (well, actually the second time, 35 years later) but as soon as I read the first paragraph of the introduction I recognized the authority of the Spirit as being far superior to that of the Bible, except for maybe some passages in Isaiah and the correctly reported words of Jesus.

The concepts were mind boggling and as I continued to plow on every pillar of my spiritual knowledge was shaken and fell. It was great because I was left with only my experiential knowledge of Jesus and my lifelong faith in God the Father. A great way to start a new life on a new foundation! So there was some kind of spiritual intervention that happened, a short circuit that not only burned out the old obsolete circuit, but provided a direct path to a completely new universe.

So whatever happens in a person's life when they respond to the "urgings" of the Mystery Monitor, regardless of culture, religious background or education, there is some kind of direct connection made, some kind of magnetism that draws one towards greater truth and spiritual growth. There is an advantage perhaps in a valid Christian background, because I believe the Christian salvation experience can be a real spiritual rebirth and totally legit. But sadly, in many cases, religious training can be more like a vaccination and render some folks almost immune to spiritual input.

Quoting Romans chapter 10 .."and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher? [15] And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things!"

I would not have had that second chance to open the UB if someone had not mailed it to me on a "whim". So perhaps our best effort is making the UB available and pointing others to it when we feel they are ready, as with MaryJo's Catholic friend. I posted this quote on facebook a month ago:

"In the mind’s eye conjure up a picture of one of your primitive ancestors of cave-dwelling times — a short, misshapen, filthy, snarling hulk of a man standing, legs spread, club upraised, breathing hate and animosity as he looks fiercely just ahead. Such a picture hardly depicts the divine dignity of man. But allow us to enlarge the picture. In front of this animated human crouches a saber-toothed tiger. Behind him, a woman and two children. Immediately you recognize that such a picture stands for the beginnings of much that is fine and noble in the human race, but the man is the same in both pictures. Only, in the second sketch you are favored with a widened horizon."
and the reaction: "My god Al did you write this? This is Pulitzer-worthy prose. Thank you for this gem. May I share?" I told her I didn't write it and sent her the link to Urantia on-line, and said "This is a bit of a wild ride but I think you will find it worth reading."
Another friend of mine, who is very anti-religion but yet a seeker liked it so much that he googled it and found that it was in the Urantia Book. So there were two potential readers that resonated with a simple paragraph that took me maybe 5 minutes to post.

Of course I drew criticism from the rank and file of evangelical Christians, which I fully expected, but I gave up on caring what they think a long time ago. But to get two sprouts from one seed is pretty good results I think. The interesting thing about the first reaction is that she is the daughter of a friend of mine and she was born and raised in the same Christian sect that her father and I spent most of our adult lives in, and from other conversations with her I knew she (like nearly all children born and raised in this sect) was very closed to standard evangelical material, yet she responded to a small grain of truth in a very big way. I have not followed up on this conversation because I didn't feel it would be good to push but who knows what may come to fruition?

PostPosted:  

"The higher Adjutants and the spirit of truth and our Mother spirit need to be functioning in order to keep this reader reading even before they understand what or who these entities are - don’t you think?"

Id like to clarify my thinking about this if I may:
Its easy to focus on the higher Adjutants to the neglect of the lower and it was not my intention to do that.
Without going to the paper on the Life Carriers and quoting the functioning of the Adjutants Ill use my memory:
Its when "all" of the Adjutants function holistically that we become "super minded".
I dont think this means accelerated thinking but more like "above" the mind or above Adjutant mind.
When this happens we become incircuited in the Holy Mother Spirit and experience Spirit ministry as well as Mind ministry.
Then when the Spirit of Truth kicks in, revelation can happen or we realize truth when we read it or as it comes to us in other forms.

I dont think we can will this to happen. But we can create favorable conditions like sincere effort to find truth.
Finding truth to me is synonymous with growth and we are informed that we do not grow ourselves, we are grown.
And who does the growing? Isnt it our Mother Spirit?

PostPosted:  

The growth itself may be unconscious, but we can cultivate that growth by the following:

Quote:
100:1.8 Religious habits of thinking and acting are contributory to the economy of spiritual growth. One can develop religious predispositions toward favorable reaction to spiritual stimuli, a sort of conditioned spiritual reflex. Habits which favor religious growth embrace cultivated sensitivity to divine values, recognition of religious living in others, reflective meditation on cosmic meanings, worshipful problem solving, sharing one's spiritual life with one's fellows, avoidance of selfishness, refusal to presume on divine mercy, living as in the presence of God. The factors of religious growth may be intentional, but the growth itself is unvaryingly unconscious.

From https://truthbook.com/urantia-book/paper-100-religion-in-human-experience#U100_2_1 Spiritual Growth:

If our hypothetical reader is a truthseeker, it is likely that s/he has already embraced at least one or two of these habits. And if so, then divine truth may be more recognizable to such a seeker.

PostPosted:  

"The factors of religious growth may be intentional, but the growth itself is unvaryingly unconscious."

When one is "conscious of spiritual growth" it can often be the result of self-righteousness. Of course there are times when we arrive at some waypoint and can look back and see all the mountains and valleys we've crossed in our journey, but such retrospection tends to humble us as much as inspire us to continue.

PostPosted:  

Having the opportunity to take a flight today, for the first time in more than ten years, I want to share something realistic with you.

That in tormulent times such as approaches, sometimes it is necessary for the shells of the former religions to open, to let every congregation together. It is not always a compelling religious truth that brings people together in this way. God must be prepared to preserve His Children on Urantia when the people are ready to leave the former ways.

Not every nation is wise enough to change, to reconvene, and reconstitute the Edenic plan. It will be harder for every nation, if a single nation is selfish, in the means of consumption without replenishment, even in the posturing of warfare. But essentially those nations who preserve, will see the break-down of myriad religious customs, and the return to worship in the sacred groves. This is why we pray that God will prepare this generation for teachers who truly care for the earth, and restore the essence of community in our society.

All of the rumours of immigration are not as important as the sanctity of marriage, and the way we are treating our planet. After all, do we not know by now, exactly how many persons there exist on this earth, just as the seraphim do? How do we approach the fact of Paradise. The recent events of our world's history reveal the magnitude, the power, and unapproachability of our true orign.

When people are lead into exile, it is only that the Hebrews, who were oppressed and learned many professions, decided to follow Moses. But in my particular capitalist society, I am witness the final death of the christian christimas holiday. I am witness a great aged population of Catholic Christian priests, who cannot truly feed their congregation. So how am I going to deal with this basically. OF course, I have many options, and I must have faith that God's Evangelists have done their world previously and for all time.

My better strategy, is rather than to think I am the evangelist, to bide in the earth, and establish prosperity in the tradition that I know and understand. And the tradition that I know and understand is colonialism. Therefore, the greatest prizes of colonialism must be revived, and these are the fruited plants, and the bird species, and such.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next