Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:51 pm +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
PostPosted:  

Agon D.Onter, my original reply to this concern of yours was, and remains, the only response I will make on this matter:

Quote:
to Agon D. Onter, and all,

If we cannot talk with one another with kindness - or at least with respect, what can we offer to the curious seeker who happens on these discussions? If we are unable to persuade our fellows using only the tools of our intellectual/experiential understanding of UB teachings and our own personal powers of persuasion, driven by the sincere search for truth and informed by a spirit of true brotherhood, we are useless to the purposes of this forum. I can't expect everyone to agree on every topic or every post, but I can expect that in our disagreements, we do not violate either the rules of posting, nor the mandates of the Master's simple Rule of Living - the Golden Rule.

maryjo

It was addressed to you and "all." And it applies to all.

MaryJo

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted:  

We love you MaryJo

PostPosted:  

We can all chalk this episode up as a milestone lesson, and I trust all will temper their disagreements with love and respect as the Master would have us to do. Meekness is not weakness.

once again:

"139:4.8 There was another side to John that one would not expect to find in this quiet and introspective type. He was somewhat bigoted and inordinately intolerant. In this respect he and James were much alike — they both wanted to call down fire from heaven on the heads of the disrespectful Samaritans. When John encountered some strangers teaching in Jesus’ name, he promptly forbade them. But he was not the only one of the twelve who was tainted with this kind of self-esteem and superiority consciousness."

We are all guilty of the same type of behavior in varying degrees in all our interactions, whether here in these discussions or with our family, friends, co-workers, team mates, whoever. But if I may point out some key words (at least in my opinion) in the last sentence of the above quote.
"He was not the only one tainted with this kind of self-esteem and superiority consciousness. Tainted is a strong word:

verb
past tense: tainted; past participle: tainted
contaminate or pollute (something).
"the air was tainted by fumes from the cars"
sinônimos: contaminate, pollute, adulterate, infect, blight, spoil, soil, ruin, destroy; befoul
"the wilderness is tainted by pollution"
affect with a bad or undesirable quality.
"his administration was tainted by scandal"
sinônimos: tarnish, sully, blacken, stain, blot, blemish, stigmatize, mar, corrupt, defile, soil, muddy, damage, harm, hurt; Mais
ARCHAIC
(of food or water) become contaminated or polluted

So it appears that in the concept of the midwayers who authored this account, John's (with John held up here as a specific public example for generations to see) attitude was contaminated, infected or ruined by this kind of self-esteem and superiority consciousness. But his many positive characteristics are also extolled by the authors and after all, he was one of the chosen twelve! We all just mullets trying to make it and in making it we also make mistakes. Sometimes we get corrected by the Spirit when we are alone and receptive, but often we have to endure correction in public if we have disregarded the correction by the Spirit and choose to be unloving and critical in our comments regarding other fellow believers and laborers.

I trust we are still on the thread of evangelism, these discussions are the face we show to visitors to the Truthbook site, and we are Michael's ambassadors in that sense.

PostPosted:  

I came across this video recently; thought it was a good example of a kind of UB evangelism in this age of enlightenment :) What I noticed were the concepts that people might recognize as desirable things they'd like to be - like progressive, in the sense that we all want to move forward in life - in our own way. Or things that a truthseeker would want to know about God, a plan that includes them, etc And there are others...good concepts to keep add to our fishing tackle when attracting others others.

Thought you all might like to see it. It's basically an intro to the UB by a devoted reader...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zL4tR2WEu3g

PostPosted:  

thanks!

PostPosted:  

http://www.urantiabook.org/introduction ... uction.htm

This and others are available at that site.
I printed this and tried to get my son who is a fundamentalist christian interested.

Christians are insturcted early in the indoctrination process that only the bible is the word of god and nothing else can be accepted as other than evil or false or deceptive.
No getting around it in my experience, not yet anyway.

TUB evangelism is a waste of effort imho.

Personal progress makes much more of an impact on people we associate with.

Thats progress not affiliated with the political overtones attached to the word that perverts the concept so much today.

PostPosted:  

hmm well probably most evangelism attempts fall flat due to sowing seeds in various forms of unfertile ground...regardless of the particular religious philosophy being pushed. if the spirit hasnt brought the person to that place of growth and they aren't ready for it then no amount of evangelizing works. probably pushing TUB on a fundie is like expecting a child to run before they can walk. what's interesting to me about TUB is the spirit has had a way of revealing the papers to some when they're ready for it.

PostPosted:  

Makalu wrote:
hmm well probably most evangelism attempts fall flat due to sowing seeds in various forms of unfertile ground...regardless of the particular religious philosophy being pushed. if the spirit hasnt brought the person to that place of growth and they aren't ready for it then no amount of evangelizing works. probably pushing TUB on a fundie is like expecting a child to run before they can walk. what's interesting to me about TUB is the spirit has had a way of revealing the papers to some when they're ready for it.

The major hang up is Jesus being sent here to suffer bleed and die for us in order to remiss our sins.
Totally illogical.
It’s a common theme among all Christians and makes me consider all to be fundamentalists.
Regardless of anyone’s beliefs or religion I remain hesitant to evangelize.
The apostles were slated to do that as part of the 4th epochical revelation .
The 5th requires a different approach and evangelizing is not it.
Imho

PostPosted:  

no sophist wrote:
http://www.urantiabook.org/introductions/urantia_christian_introduction.htm

This and others are available at that site.
I printed this and tried to get my son who is a fundamentalist christian interested.

Christians are insturcted early in the indoctrination process that only the bible is the word of god and nothing else can be accepted as other than evil or false or deceptive.
No getting around it in my experience, not yet anyway.

TUB evangelism is a waste of effort imho.

Thats progress not affiliated with the political overtones attached to the word that perverts the concept so much today.

Evangelism in the traditional sense of the word, no. Can you imagine a UB television evangelist hitting on people to buy the large print red-letter version (WITH OUR LORD'S WORDS WRITTEN IN RED!) of the Urantia Book with a free autographed picture of Dr. and Mrs. Sadler? I definitely can't. But evangelism in the form of one on one conversation with a hungry soul makes a lot of sense to me. Personal witnessing is what we called it in my former fellowship, and your words definitely don't fall upon deaf ears in that kind of situation, and watching someone be born in the spirit is quite an experience. I don't know a theologically correct way to describe it, but it far surpasses a mere mental or psychological event.

PostPosted:  

no sophist sez:

Quote:

It's the best kind of witness...

Quote:
191:5.3 "Peace be upon you. For a full week have I tarried that I might appear again when you were all present to hear once more the commission to go into all the world and preach this gospel of the kingdom. Again I tell you: As the Father sent me into the world, so send I you. As I have revealed the Father, so shall you reveal the divine love, not merely with words, but in your daily living.

Revealing the divine love is important - more important than any doctrine or theology. And not all people know how easily available that divine love is. I think that is part of our assignment (should we accept it) - to bring people to the love of God - not the fear.

PostPosted:  

in my experience the receptivity of sharing TUB, in its entirety or snippets, have been predictable relative to the sincerity and quality of the truth seeker.

back before the papers were freely available the library placement program was evangelizing and certainly worthwhile.

PostPosted:  

no sophist wrote:
The major hang up is Jesus being sent here to suffer bleed and die for us in order to remiss our sins.

But isn't it strange that, with slightly different wording and perspective, that theme can be transformed from crude, ugly and animalistic into one that is true, good and beautiful?

The Master was sent here. He did suffer, bleed and die. He did so for us - the inhabitants of this planet. He did so for the entire local universe. He chose to do so in a natural, purely human way, not exercising any divine prerogative. He chose to effect the dissolution of "our" sins, evil and error by showing us the way forward to living in harmony and cooperation with God, even while suffering, bleeding and dying. There is so much that can be said about the meaning of the crucifixion. That mortals on this planet have confused that meaning in the 2000 intervening years doesn't completely diminish the fact that they did at least partially see and comprehend the meaning.

That is a message worth "evangelizing", isn't it?

PostPosted:  

Riktare wrote:
no sophist wrote:

But isn't it strange that, with slightly different wording and perspective, that theme can be transformed from crude, ugly and animalistic into one that is true, good and beautiful?

The Master was sent here. He did suffer, bleed and die. He did so for us - the inhabitants of this planet. He did so for the entire local universe. He chose to do so in a natural, purely human way, not exercising any divine prerogative. He chose to effect the dissolution of "our" sins, evil and error by showing us the way forward to living in harmony and cooperation with God, even while suffering, bleeding and dying. There is so much that can be said about the meaning of the crucifixion. That mortals on this planet have confused that meaning in the 2000 intervening years doesn't completely diminish the fact that they did at least partially see and comprehend the meaning.

That is a message worth "evangelizing", isn't it?

Personally I see no value in evangelizing any part of the revelation.
But I will hand someone the book if I feel they are in search mode.
Followed by conversation about my experience with it if the encounter goes in that direction.
Again I ask the question: why do we feel the need to evangelize??
I think the answer is misadaptation of the urges received from the 6th Adjutant but that is a personal opinion.

If I have difficulty discussing the life and teachings of Jesus as retold in the Urantia book (the 4th epochical revelation) with Christians who won’t budge from biblical beliefs, what about the 5th epochical revelation?

Jesus Gospel was about the Golden Rule, fatherly and brotherly love etc.
Much easier to approach and discuss than the details and truths revealed in the 5th.
But I never slack up in my search for hungry minds that have the potential to get into it.
No success since my first encounter with the revelation in 1971.

PostPosted:  

But of course you are still considering in the modern notion of "Evangelism". You should at least account for the known and final events associated with Evangelism, which have shaped world history, i.e. faith traditions and cultures of the home. In a sense, I think that we may "draw" from the contributions of Jesus' own Evangelists, even if there are none observable or final new evangelical movements. This is because we are still detruncating their implications, not necessarily forging some great new revelatory method. How did the Master visit those to whome were gathered in peace, after his resurrection? There is only the spiritual adaptation. Psychologically, we know of only one singular prerequisite for in becoming one of the Evangelists. They were required to abandon their former ways, if this is not too clumsy of a restatement, from the lessons gleaned of the disciple Matadormus. But this quality of emptying one's self creates the supernal potential inside of an adult, for new learning methods and new adaptations. This prerequisite indicates the true franchise of a qualified individual within civil beaurocracy, because with emptying comes the opening to full consideration, the building of what constitutes the power of choice for a person. How that would affect a person who becomes an Evangelist is that they become capable of employing strategies which are akin to the Paradise Pattern, since Jesus is in actuality the Paradise Creator Son. Jesus therefore gained a campaign-team capable of carrying Jesus' instruction (potentially paradaisical in nature). (163:1.3-4)

PostPosted:  

to paraphrase an old adage "The only Urantia Book most people read is bound in shoe leather." The concept that evangelism is a giant rally à la Billy Graham is not what I equate with the evangelism shown by Jesus. Modern day Christian evangelists love to apply "Greater works shall ye do" but are numbers driven. I think it's obvious that the Master's teaching, founded on the the personal relationship of the individual with God the Father, does not encourage us to try to corral crowds of people. It was the multitudes that sought Him, He didn't seek the multitudes.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next