Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:41 pm +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: the Urantian Gnostic606
PostPosted:  

What does this mean? I cannot find the word "gnostic" in TUB, so I am not sure how it is "Urantian" ...? What is the significance of the 606? We know that Urantia (our planet) was given the number 606 of Satania, meaning the 606th inhabited world in this local system. So "Urantian" meaning of Urantia; "gnostic" meaning ....?; and "606" meaning our planet.

Can anyone clue me in what this is?

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted:  

As I already posted from wiki...a gnostic believes in salvation by knowledge, God is unapproachable, the world was created by an evil and minor Deity, all material creation is evil, and truth and reality can only be known by secret knowledge. A very descriptive identity in one way and nonsensical and self contradictory in another.

Interesting beliefs!! One site says it's a totally helenized version and a heretical version of early Christianity where secret knowledge of a select group delivers salvation.

Last edited by fanofVan on Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:12 pm +0000, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted:  

Well, and from a completely different source, the Urban Dictionary, it defines "gnostic" as:

Literally, "one who knows." Every religion has its gnostics, but Gnostic with a capital G almost always refers to Christian Gnostics. Beliefs vary widely, but essentially they value personal revelation and mysticism over dogma. Gnostics believe absolute religious truth can be known but it is only revealed towards enlightened humans, and the Gnostics purported to teach secrets that orthodox Christianity did not know. Hence, most Gnostic gospels are titled "The Secret Book of insert name."

So perhaps it is meant to indicate that TUB is a secret book of 606 (our planet), that is intended only for a select enlightened group of humans.

If so, I, for one, certainly do not share that view or those ideas. But to each their own I guess.

PostPosted:  

PostPosted:  

13:1.20 (147.1) The secrets of Seraphington
13:1.22 (147.3) The secrets of Ascendington
13:1.5 (144.5) The secrets of Divinington
13:1.8 (145.3) The secrets of Sonarington
13:1.10 (145.5) The secrets of Spiritington
13:1.12 (146.1) The secrets of Vicegerington

And there's a whole lot more ........

Agon D. Onter wrote:
Well, and from a completely different source, the Urban Dictionary, it defines "gnostic" as:

Literally, "one who knows." Every religion has its gnostics, but Gnostic with a capital G almost always refers to Christian Gnostics. Beliefs vary widely, but essentially they value personal revelation and mysticism over dogma. Gnostics believe absolute religious truth can be known but it is only revealed towards enlightened humans, and the Gnostics purported to teach secrets that orthodox Christianity did not know. Hence, most Gnostic gospels are titled "The Secret Book of insert name."

So perhaps it is meant to indicate that TUB is a secret book of 606 (our planet), that is intended only for a select enlightened group of humans.

If so, I, for one, certainly do not share that view or those ideas. But to each their own I guess.

PostPosted:  

So are you claiming *to know* these "secrets"? Is that what Urantian Gnostic606 is meant to convey?

The Urantia Book is not secret, by the way. We are all discussing it openly here. It is available for free online; no special knowledge necessary. It contains information about mysteries but is not intended to be mystical or secret knowledge only for a chosen few. To think that about the Urantia Book is to sadly underestimate its power and value.

PostPosted:  

Nah. Gnostic in my signature connotes desire to know the secrets of the universe. Plus, I devoted a good portion of my life studying Judeo-Christian Gnosticism.

Agon D. Onter wrote:
So are you claiming *to know* these "secrets"? Is that what Urantian Gnostic606 is meant to convey?

The Urantia Book is not secret, by the way. We are all discussing it openly here. It is available for free online; no special knowledge necessary. It contains information about mysteries but is not intended to be mystical or secret knowledge only for a chosen few. To think that about the Urantia Book is to sadly underestimate its power and value.

PostPosted:  

Perhaps for now you should concentrate on the basics and leave the mysteries for your mansion world sojourn.

PostPosted:  

Agon D. Onter wrote:
Perhaps for now you should concentrate on the basics and leave the mysteries for your mansion world sojourn.

PostPosted:  

Agon: the Gnostics were a sect of Judaism who taught the Baptism for the Remission of Sins.

However, this is a much abused social terminology: Gnostic, Gnosis, Gnosticism. although as signified the name implies "Knowledge", it has not retained its former cultural identity. It is donned by those in the new age who, perhaps after reading the Gospel of Thomas (Scrolls Discovery 1945), were drawn to an esoteric branch of history that led them out of traditional christianity, into the ubiquitous jewish monotheism. The individuals who profess this identity are far too vareigated in their practices to be worthy of a distinct cultural status.

Thus, it is not that the ancient sect of Gnostics are picking up followers since there is too much that a person actually believes, to ably compare the ancient order of Gnostics with New Age or modern-day Gnosticism. One is deigned somewhat by heredity, whereas the other refers to a plethora of beliefs, which cannot be defined except by the individual.

PostPosted:  

Well, as this thread has made clear already, there are MANY different meanings and associations for the word "Gnostic". Which is why I asked what is meant by the use of it by the individual on this forum who has chosen to identify with it, and advertise it, on every one of their posts here, starting recently.