Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:57 am +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted:  

Hi everone,

Since I am new to the Urantia Book and this fellowship I am more or less observing and trying to learn. Of course I have a zillion questions but I realize all of them will be answered at some point. But to make a long story short, my knowledge of Jesus as defined by the Bible and Judeo-Christian tradition was filtered through traditional early 20th century evangelical Christianity But my experiential contact with Jesus revealed a very different Master, and when I finally began studying the Urantia Book I was overjoyed to find a better source. Recently however I have been seeking explanations for some of the very deep and sublime experiences I have had since I first answered that tug in the Spirit, even as a 4 year-old boy. Today I read Paper 100 "Religion in Human Experience" and the section on Conversion and Mysticism really jumped out and spoke to me. I don't know the dynamics of the actions and influences of the Thought Adjusters, but I do know that those deep spiritual experiences, although rare, always confirmed my decision to try to follow Jesus and "know even as I am known" encouraging me to continue even in the face of adversity.

My years of study and teaching of Bible Prophecy (Revelation, Daniel, Ezekiel and Zechariah, Matthew 24 and some of of the epistles' references to the last days) had made me an old bottle in many ways and even became a source of spiritual pride, knowing the interpretataions and being able to explain prophecies, I am sure you all have met someone like that in your lives. Beginning afresh with Urantia put me very much in the students' seat and there is much that I have had to unlearn in order to receive and accept greater truths. Forsaking the literal interpretation of the Genesis account of creation was not difficult, although it took years, because I had already accepted that the earth was an evolutionary planet, but even then the cosmology of the Urantia Book was quite a quantum leap, ha ha. I was also more than happy to embrace the fact that Bible history had been written to favor the idea of a chosen people because I was already questioning what had happened to the teachings of Jesus from the time of His bestowal until the Council of Nicea and other ecumenical councils, and wondering what kind of people had hijacked the Christian faith in the 300 some intervening years. I was also very happy to forsake the idea of the necessity of a blood sacrifice to please God or satisfy the scriptures, or whatever. I mean, seriously, what Creator of All Things would require a blood sacrifice to be happy?

But it took a little more patience to shed my traditional background of Jesus' life and ministry, and accept and prefer Urantia's explanations of what really happened in the case of many reported miracles as compared to the presentation of the New Testament accounts, and the general explanation of Jesus' entire life here on Urantia.

But oddly enough it was Paul's theology that proved to be the most difficult for me to abandon. My early days as a new Christian were filled with constant Bible study and memorization and his view became my view over the next 30 years, as far as applying Christian ethics to our lives, and it was often the judgmental attitude of Paul that prevailed in my mind over the loving and merciful attitude that Jesus had shown me through the Spirit.

Yet, my deepest and most meaningful spiritual experiences were accompanied by praying in tongues and receiving interpretations, prophesying as it was referred to in my culture. I know of many "prophets" who got tripped off and tried to manipulate a congregation or a decision by giving a bombastic message in tongues followed by and interpretation in a loud and authoritative voice, very convincing performances indeed. I speak from personal experience, I can hardly point my finger at others for things I too was guilty of. Yet there were other experiences that were just between me and who? My Thought Adjuster? Some other spiritual entity? How was my Adjuster able to punch through like that? I don't know yet, but I do wonder which life changing revelations were merely the result of my psychological processes and which were true guidance? Has anyone been through this? Thanks!

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted:  

Hello Pethuel,

Welcome aboard! There is a revelation that admonishes us to chock it up to the natural musing of the mind, when in doubt as to the genesis of an epiphany. Unfortunately, the reference of that revelation evades my memory. Hopefully one of the discussants on the board can supply a quote for you.

pethuel wrote:
Hi everone,

Since I am new to the Urantia Book and this fellowship I am more or less observing and trying to learn. Of course I have a zillion questions but I realize all of them will be answered at some point. But to make a long story short, my knowledge of Jesus as defined by the Bible and Judeo-Christian tradition was filtered through traditional early 20th century evangelical Christianity But my experiential contact with Jesus revealed a very different Master, and when I finally began studying the Urantia Book I was overjoyed to find a better source. Recently however I have been seeking explanations for some of the very deep and sublime experiences I have had since I first answered that tug in the Spirit, even as a 4 year-old boy. Today I read Paper 100 "Religion in Human Experience" and the section on Conversion and Mysticism really jumped out and spoke to me. I don't know the dynamics of the actions and influences of the Thought Adjusters, but I do know that those deep spiritual experiences, although rare, always confirmed my decision to try to follow Jesus and "know even as I am known" encouraging me to continue even in the face of adversity.

My years of study and teaching of Bible Prophecy (Revelation, Daniel, Ezekiel and Zechariah, Matthew 24 and some of of the epistles' references to the last days) had made me an old bottle in many ways and even became a source of spiritual pride, knowing the interpretataions and being able to explain prophecies, I am sure you all have met someone like that in your lives. Beginning afresh with Urantia put me very much in the students' seat and there is much that I have had to unlearn in order to receive and accept greater truths. Forsaking the literal interpretation of the Genesis account of creation was not difficult, although it took years, because I had already accepted that the earth was an evolutionary planet, but even then the cosmology of the Urantia Book was quite a quantum leap, ha ha. I was also more than happy to embrace the fact that Bible history had been written to favor the idea of a chosen people because I was already questioning what had happened to the teachings of Jesus from the time of His bestowal until the Council of Nicea and other ecumenical councils, and wondering what kind of people had hijacked the Christian faith in the 300 some intervening years. I was also very happy to forsake the idea of the necessity of a blood sacrifice to please God or satisfy the scriptures, or whatever. I mean, seriously, what Creator of All Things would require a blood sacrifice to be happy?

But it took a little more patience to shed my traditional background of Jesus' life and ministry, and accept and prefer Urantia's explanations of what really happened in the case of many reported miracles as compared to the presentation of the New Testament accounts, and the general explanation of Jesus' entire life here on Urantia.

But oddly enough it was Paul's theology that proved to be the most difficult for me to abandon. My early days as a new Christian were filled with constant Bible study and memorization and his view became my view over the next 30 years, as far as applying Christian ethics to our lives, and it was often the judgmental attitude of Paul that prevailed in my mind over the loving and merciful attitude that Jesus had shown me through the Spirit.

Yet, my deepest and most meaningful spiritual experiences were accompanied by praying in tongues and receiving interpretations, prophesying as it was referred to in my culture. I know of many "prophets" who got tripped off and tried to manipulate a congregation or a decision by giving a bombastic message in tongues followed by and interpretation in a loud and authoritative voice, very convincing performances indeed. I speak from personal experience, I can hardly point my finger at others for things I too was guilty of. Yet there were other experiences that were just between me and who? My Thought Adjuster? Some other spiritual entity? How was my Adjuster able to punch through like that? I don't know yet, but I do wonder which life changing revelations were merely the result of my psychological processes and which were true guidance? Has anyone been through this? Thanks!

PostPosted:  

Greetings pethuel...and Welcome!

You may wish to consider reading Papers 110 Relation of Adjusters to Individual Mortals & 111 The Adjuster and the Soul. I began my own reading of the Papers with Paper 100 and read the next 18 in quick order and return to those as my own favorites time after time.

In short, the TA's are God Fragments and they are the co-parent of our soul. They are our direct link to God within. They also coordinate and are the voice of all personal revelation in mind. The Holy Spirit and the Spirit of Truth also minister to mind and soul and do so through the TA. We are told we cannot discern which of the Big 3 speak to us as all and each speaks by way of the TA. The TA cannot overcome or violate our individual free will and acts to lead or pilot our religious adventure coaxingly and gently and lovingly. A wonderful topic for study and discovery.

"Revelation" is a big topic throughout the Papers. Here's a link to all text quotes which include the word "revelation":

https://truthbook.com/search/UBParagrap ... &start=all

Best wishes!!

Bradly 8)

110:1.3 (1204.1) Although the divine indwellers are chiefly concerned with your spiritual preparation for the next stage of the never-ending existence, they are also deeply interested in your temporal welfare and in your real achievements on earth. They are delighted to contribute to your health, happiness, and true prosperity. They are not indifferent to your success in all matters of planetary advancement which are not inimical to your future life of eternal progress.

110:1.4 (1204.2) Adjusters are interested in, and concerned with, your daily doings and the manifold details of your life just to the extent that these are influential in the determination of your significant temporal choices and vital spiritual decisions and, hence, are factors in the solution of your problem of soul survival and eternal progress. The Adjuster, while passive regarding purely temporal welfare, is divinely active concerning all the affairs of your eternal future.

110:1.5 (1204.3) The Adjuster remains with you in all disaster and through every sickness which does not wholly destroy the mentality. But how unkind knowingly to defile or otherwise deliberately to pollute the physical body, which must serve as the earthly tabernacle of this marvelous gift from God. All physical poisons greatly retard the efforts of the Adjuster to exalt the material mind, while the mental poisons of fear, anger, envy, jealousy, suspicion, and intolerance likewise tremendously interfere with the spiritual progress of the evolving soul.

110:3.1 (1205.5) Adjusters are playing the sacred and superb game of the ages; they are engaged in one of the supreme adventures of time in space. And how happy they are when your co-operation permits them to lend assistance in your short struggles of time as they continue to prosecute their larger tasks of eternity. But usually, when your Adjuster attempts to communicate with you, the message is lost in the material currents of the energy streams of human mind; only occasionally do you catch an echo, a faint and distant echo, of the divine voice.

110:3.2 (1205.6) The success of your Adjuster in the enterprise of piloting you through the mortal life and bringing about your survival depends not so much on the theories of your beliefs as upon your decisions, determinations, and steadfast faith. All these movements of personality growth become powerful influences aiding in your advancement because they help you to co-operate with the Adjuster; they assist you in ceasing to resist. Thought Adjusters succeed or apparently fail in their terrestrial undertakings just in so far as mortals succeed or fail to co-operate with the scheme whereby they are to be advanced along the ascending path of perfection attainment. The secret of survival is wrapped up in the supreme human desire to be Godlike and in the associated willingness to do and be any and all things which are essential to the final attainment of that overmastering desire.

PostPosted:  

Regarding "psychological processes"...the Papers do advise extreme caution. For the mortal mind is certainly capable of delusion and self importance and prejudice. It can be hard to know sometimes whether we hear the whispering voice or just what we want to hear...

110:2.3 (1205.1) The Adjuster is not trying to control your thinking, as such, but rather to spiritualize it, to eternalize it. Neither angels nor Adjusters are devoted directly to influencing human thought; that is your exclusive personality prerogative. The Adjusters are dedicated to improving, modifying, adjusting, and co-ordinating your thinking processes; but more especially and specifically they are devoted to the work of building up spiritual counterparts of your careers, morontia transcripts of your true advancing selves, for survival purposes.

110:3.5 (1206.3) Confusion, being puzzled, even sometimes discouraged and distracted, does not necessarily signify resistance to the leadings of the indwelling Adjuster. Such attitudes may sometimes connote lack of active co-operation with the divine Monitor and may, therefore, somewhat delay spiritual progress, but such intellectual emotional difficulties do not in the least interfere with the certain survival of the God-knowing soul. Ignorance alone can never prevent survival; neither can confusional doubts nor fearful uncertainty. Only conscious resistance to the Adjuster’s leading can prevent the survival of the evolving immortal soul.

110:3.6 (1206.4) You must not regard co-operation with your Adjuster as a particularly conscious process, for it is not; but your motives and your decisions, your faithful determinations and your supreme desires, do constitute real and effective co-operation. You can consciously augment Adjuster harmony by:

110:3.7 (1206.5) 1. Choosing to respond to divine leading; sincerely basing the human life on the highest consciousness of truth, beauty, and goodness, and then co-ordinating these qualities of divinity through wisdom, worship, faith, and love.

110:3.8 (1206.6) 2. Loving God and desiring to be like him—genuine recognition of the divine fatherhood and loving worship of the heavenly Parent.

110:3.9 (1206.7) 3. Loving man and sincerely desiring to serve him—wholehearted recognition of the brotherhood of man coupled with an intelligent and wise affection for each of your fellow mortals.

110:3.10 (1206.8) 4. Joyful acceptance of cosmic citizenship—honest recognition of your progressive obligations to the Supreme Being, awareness of the interdependence of evolutionary man and evolving Deity. This is the birth of cosmic morality and the dawning realization of universal duty.

110:4.3 (1207.3) Certain abrupt presentations of thoughts, conclusions, and other pictures of mind are sometimes the direct or indirect work of the Adjuster; but far more often they are the sudden emergence into consciousness of ideas which have been grouping themselves together in the submerged mental levels, natural and everyday occurrences of normal and ordinary psychic function inherent in the circuits of the evolving animal mind. (In contrast with these subconscious emanations, the revelations of the Adjuster appear through the realms of the superconscious.)

110:5.5 (1208.4) It is extremely dangerous to postulate as to the Adjuster content of the dream life. The Adjusters do work during sleep, but your ordinary dream experiences are purely physiologic and psychologic phenomena. Likewise, it is hazardous to attempt the differentiation of the Adjusters’ concept registry from the more or less continuous and conscious reception of the dictations of mortal conscience. These are problems which will have to be solved through individual discrimination and personal decision. But a human being would do better to err in rejecting an Adjuster’s expression through believing it to be a purely human experience than to blunder into exalting a reaction of the mortal mind to the sphere of divine dignity. Remember, the influence of a Thought Adjuster is for the most part, though not wholly, a superconscious experience.

110:5.6 (1208.5) In varying degrees and increasingly as you ascend the psychic circles, sometimes directly, but more often indirectly, you do communicate with your Adjusters. But it is dangerous to entertain the idea that every new concept originating in the human mind is the dictation of the Adjuster. More often, in beings of your order, that which you accept as the Adjuster’s voice is in reality the emanation of your own intellect. This is dangerous ground, and every human being must settle these problems for himself in accordance with his natural human wisdom and superhuman insight.

PostPosted:  

Thank you everyone for taking the time to answer, I appreciate the input!

PostPosted:  

110:3.6 (1206.4) You must not regard co-operation with your Adjuster as a particularly conscious process, for it is not; but your motives and your decisions, your faithful determinations and your supreme desires, do constitute real and effective co-operation.

Once again, thanks Bradley and Brooklyn for the welcome, taking the time to research and counsel, and general encouragement.

regarding the quote above: the deeper experiences I referred to in my question were not what I would call a conscious process, they just happened spontaneously. Of course I consciously perceived them, I experienced them and all, but I wasn't consciously trying to make contact. The reason I am trying to define them is because in many ways these few experiences define me.

the first happened when I was 4 years old in a United Presbyterian Sunday School. The pastor and his wife were former old school Presbyterian missionaries, quite dedicated I think, very kind and loving people and frequently invited missionaries for fund raising presentations and potluck dinners. It was in this setting that I remember looking at the famous painting of Jesus standing at an arched wooden door and knocking, and the Sunday School class was singing "Into My Heart". I really sang from my heart and I very willingly opened my heart to Him, at that moment the only thing in my consciousness was wanting Him to come into my heart.

But over time the church changed, a new pastor from seminary school came in and the church became more like a typical mainstream Christianity congregation, superficial and self-satisfied, especially to an angry teen in the 60s! In my mind, like many of my generation, equated Jesus with that example of Christianity and began looking into other eastern religions and metaphysics, but this was more of an intellectual activity than experiential, and only after becoming desperate for something "solid" to hold on to did the second milestone experience occur, which was at a Jesus People rally in 1970 in the town of Lewiston, Idaho. Linda Meisner (of The Cross and the Switchblade book by whatshisname, I keep thinking Pat boone but it was David Wilkerson who wrote the book) was an evangelist at that time and on the road. She got up to speak, but I really don't remember a single word she said that day, but when she gave the "altar call" I went forward. At that time I inexplicably started speaking in tongues, not consciously at all, that is I made no effort, it just happend. I suppose sublime is the best adjective, but it was a life changing experience.

this experience was followed by two others. After this speaking in tongues experience I hitchhiked home to tell my girlfriend what had happened and my ride left me off at a junction where a highway that descended in a long and winding grade to met the main highway. I was there for hours and couldn't get a ride. The sun began to set and as I looked up at the mountain I saw a flash where the sun reflected off the windshield of a car starting to go down the grade. Every so often the car would come around a bend in the highway and the sun would reflect again and I watched as the car slowly meandered down the grade and finally come across the river and pull up beside me. There was an older lady around 60 years old in the front seat and a young man driving. She said "I never stop to pick up hitchhikers, but the Lord told me to give you a ride." She didn't preach to me and the driver never said a word, but they gave my faith a boost and let me out when we reached my home town.

However, 5 years later and 300 miles away, I was handing out tracts in a parking lot and this same lady (I think) came up to me, looked me straight in the eye and said "You don't have to do anything! All you need to do is be like a hose and let God work through you!" So for many years I was convinced that this woman was a guardian angel of some kind sent to help me along the way. I never saw her again but I have never forgotten those two experiences with her, as they somehow confirmed for me that I was on the right path and encouraged me to continue doing my best to follow Jesus.

In the 25 years that followed I only had three more defining experiences that were very personal and only between me and "the Lord", but had a profound effect on me.

These experiences may not sound like much, but they were both guideposts and milestones for me, the same "still, small voice" that spoke to me in each instance is the same that urged me to not be dismayed by my first readings in the Urantia Papers, that the papers contained what I was seeking and have always sought.

I must confess that these forums are a bit intense for me, but I think I will get accustomed to the exchanges, I realize that these forums are intended for this exchange of ideas as we all continue in our journey to Him. Sorry to be so long-winded in this, and I appreciate the time taken by those who have read it. I don't have a theological axe to grind here, I am just looking for some sure footing I think. Many thanks!

PostPosted:  

Dear pethuel,

Thanks for your testimony regarding the guidance that you've received over your life. It's always interesting and comforting to see how God works in our lives, even before we really understand his watchcare. Looking back, we can see the pieces fall into place, though. I love the story of the woman who picked you up and who then later came back into your life - at least she seemed the same woman to you. Her kindness and her sage advice stuck with you all this time.

It's a reminder to me to be always ready to help others when prompted...you just never know when one act of kindness can impact someone's life for the better.

maryJo

PostPosted:  

Thanks MaryJo, I didn't really mean to rattle on like that, I think I just needed to get it out of my system. Thanks!

PostPosted:  

Greetings pethuel !!

I also appreciate your sharing of these sublime moments of Divine insight and inspiration and motivation. I've had similar times of momentous affirmation and assurance and paradigm expansion!! It is my belief that all sincere truth seekers do. Some get too distracted or misfocused on materialism I know. But I think the sharing of such testimony helps all others to form their own and embolden them to also share with others. The Spirit within can give Voice through even the most timid of persons. Have you read about the blind man in Jerusalem? Read Paper 164, Sections 3 & 4!!

I especially enjoyed the "hose" story!

The UB teaches that we are indeed such a device. We cannot originate love or hold it or keep it for ourselves or even receive it in any meaningful way unless and until we become conduits and agents of love. Love comes to us in the amount it flows through us!! It is not a reward, as I once believed, but rather it is a current or flow of reality that must move to be real. Its effects are profound to all who are instruments of the flow of love. Likewise, we do not grow the fruits of the Spirit. We attach our branch to the vine by our choice, but the fruits are a result of the spiritization which is the result of the flow of the Spirit within....like the sap from the root through the vine and through the branch which results in the fruits. It is not the branch's fruit or the branch growing the fruit but every branch who attaches to the vine will grow the fruit of the vine!!

Thanks again for sharing and joining us here!

Bradly 8)

PostPosted:  

Read Paper 164, Sections 3 & 4!

Hi Bradly! Thanks for the study suggestion, I noticed that the account of the blind beggar is one of the few that is almost the same as presented in the New Testament, and I always thought his answer to the Sanhedrin was one of the more humorous in the Bible, and even in Zeffirelli's "Jesus of Nazareth" movie was a high point.

Healing is a touchy subject, I was once instantly healed of tonsilitis before having to perform on stage, literally one second with a high fever and a swollen and extremely sore throat and the next instant ready to go. A guy was passing by the entrance to the club where I was performing and wished me a "Break a leg" and I just casually mentioned it was going to be difficult because I was sick He said "Oh, let me pray for you" and that was it!

Yet on other occasions I thought I was expected to have faith for healing and I still suffer to this day for not seeking medical help when I needed it. Yet some of the healers that use Oriental medicine don't use pharmaceutical remedies and get excellent results. I injured my knee skiing when I was a teen, torn ligaments and all, and for 40 years had chronic knee problems. 10 years ago my knee got very swollen and painful and a friend recommended a healer. I was very "suspicious" of Oriental medicine and healers but I decided to give it a try because all medical doctors could offer were pain-killers or surgery, which was totally out of my financial reach. I hobbled into his office, and after looking at my knee on the examination table he left and came back with some adhesive tape cut into circles with a cross in the middle (very kabbalistic looking for my traditional Christian thinking) and he stuck seven of these little circles in two intersecting lines across the inside of my knee. He said to relax and he would return in 20 -30 minutes. While he was gone I was amazed to discover that my knee seemed alive, like there were little animals or something scampering around between my knee joint, a very unusual sensation. When he came back he looked at my knee and said to leave the circles on until they fell off, but that I could go. I got off the table and to my shock I felt no pain whatsoever, total freedom of movement and I have been problem free since then. I, dumbfounded, asked him what he did and he very humbly explained that the energy lines in my knee were congested and that he had realigned them! Go figure! ha ha This was in the early days of a technique called "spiral taping" and today you can see athletes with the blue tape applied in patterns across a part of the body and it is now an accepted treatment by some doctors, similar to acupuncture. But there was an added bonus to this treatment, afterwards I looked closely at my spiritual prejudice (fearful that he was using some kind of satanic powers, since he wasn't a Christian) and began to seriously question my traditional beliefs. All part of the package I guess! I mention this story because of the lesson in Paper 164, where it says that one of Jesus' motives in using the spittle and clay was "He wanted to teach them that they must cease to regard miracles as the only method of curing human diseases." and that was a lesson I definitely needed to learn.

So thanks Bradly, your reading suggestion was great for me today!

PostPosted:  

fanofVan wrote:

Quote:
The UB teaches that we are indeed such a device. We cannot originate love or hold it or keep it for ourselves or even receive it in any meaningful way unless and until we become conduits and agents of love. Love comes to us in the amount it flows through us!! It is not a reward, as I once believed, but rather it is a current or flow of reality that must move to be real. Its effects are profound to all who are instruments of the flow of love.

Nice. The realization that I don't "create" love was a profound one for me, and it has been a fairly recent revelation to/from my Spirit. I suddenly realized that all we can do with Love is: receive and share. And this realization was the result of experiencing a level of love that had not been felt by me before...

This realization made this well-loved passage come alive for me:

Quote:
117:6.10 All true love is from God, and man receives the divine affection as he himself bestows this love upon his fellows. Love is dynamic. It can never be captured; it is alive, free, thrilling, and always moving. Man can never take the love of the Father and imprison it within his heart. The Father's love can become real to mortal man only by passing through that man's personality as he in turn bestows this love upon his fellows. The great circuit of love is from the Father, through sons to brothers, and hence to the Supreme. The love of the Father appears in the mortal personality by the ministry of the indwelling Adjuster. Such a God-knowing son reveals this love to his universe brethren, and this fraternal affection is the essence of the love of the Supreme.