Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:15 pm +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted:  

brooklyn_born wrote:
Agon D. Onter wrote:
I can't help but notice every time you accuse me of not knowing what something means, you are not able to explain the meaning of the term using your own words, you always have to *look it up* and then paste a screenshot or gif rather than explain your own understanding of the terms. :badgrin:

I do so to remove bias. I post independent sources and allow for you to see yourself without my interpretation or spin.

Quote:
BTW "oblivious" means to not be aware of something. Clearly, I am aware of using words "loosely" since I am the one who commented on it. :roll:

I said I used it "loosely" (to which you commented) and that should have been sufficient. Apparently it was not, which made no sense to me as it was self evident in the word. So, to me, it called into question whether you understood its meaning.

Or do you post what you claim to be independent sources but are merely sources which support your own preconceptions? For one who claims to be skeptical of all authors requiring your personal critical analysis and interpretation to then claim in the veracity of that written which supports your subjective opinion is illogical...if not irrational.

You have claimed the UB contains and verifies numerology....a well defined term. A definition related to the meaning and value of repeating numbers and a belief which assigns specific meanings to numerals. When challenged, you then claim you use the term "loosely". Perhaps utilizing words based on their known and common definitions would be advisable.

You said: "drop the zero and you have 66, or repeating 6s. _66_ place value, _666_ place value, _6666_ place value, _606_ place value, _6066_ place value, and etc., all the same, repeating 6s."

And...."Repeating 66666s..."

I don't find your use of numerology to be so loose....you believe that repeating numbers mean something, regardless of what order or sequence or how unrelated or what application or how many there are and when they do not represent any patterns or inherent ratios or relationships...any 6 will do anywhere anytime.

The UB says such beliefs are superstitious and disconnected from reality.

If you wanted to study the actual patterns of the universes that are presented in the UB, please do so. But this numerology you present and defend is not sourced by or supported in the UB.....loosely or otherwise.

Your subjective entrenchment is beyond opinion...it is the prejudice of preconception and defies critical thinking and objectivity. Which is fine. Just don't claim the UB supports numerology or that numerology is found throughout TUB pages....loosely or otherwise. Such claims are not scientific but are primitive superstitions according to the UB.

"Numerology is any belief in the divine or mystical relationship between a number and one or more coinciding events. It is also the study of the numerical value of the letters in words, names and ideas. It is often associated with the paranormal, alongside astrology and similar divinatory arts.

There are various numerology systems which assign numerical value to the letters of an alphabet. Examples include the Abjad numerals in Arabic, the Hebrew numerals, Armenian numerals, and Greek numerals. The practice within Jewish tradition of assigning mystical meaning to words based on their numerical values, and on connections between words of equal value, is known as gematria. "

So....you may agree that the UB does not present or support numerology....or you may continue the false claim that it does....but you may not claim both..."loosely" or otherwise.

The number 666 in the Bible is considered to be a numeric representation of Hebrew or Greek letters by some scholars and to mean "mankind" rather than the Devil or Satan. Others say it refers to original sin and man's separation from God and others claim it refers to the antichrist to come and many say Revelation is about the fall of Rome rather than the end of the world as we know it and some say it is the second coming....and ALL are wrong.

"Main article: Number of the Beast
In the Textus Receptus manuscripts of the New Testament, the Book of Revelation (13:17–18) cryptically asserts 666 to be "man's number" or "the number of a man" (depending on how the text is translated) associated with the Beast, an antagonistic creature that appears briefly about two-thirds into the apocalyptic vision. Some manuscripts of the original Greek use the symbols χξϛ chi xi stigma (or ϝ digamma), while other manuscripts spell out the number in words.

In modern popular culture, 666 has become one of the most widely recognized symbols for the Antichrist or, alternatively, the devil. The number 666 is purportedly used to invoke Satan. Earnest references to the number occur both among apocalypticist Christian groups and in explicitly anti-Christian subcultures. References in contemporary Western art or literature are, more likely than not, intentional references to the Beast symbolism. Such popular references are therefore too numerous to list.

It is common to see the symbolic role of the integer 666 transferred to the digit sequence 6-6-6. Some people take the Satanic associations of 666 so seriously that they actively avoid things related to 666 or the digits 6-6-6. This is known as hexakosioihexekontahexaphobia."

You claim 666 to be the number of Satan....but that is merely another subjective opinion without substantiation by objective research and sources....that is but one of many potential beliefs....none of which are derived by or from the UB. And neither is the belief in the power or meaning of repeating 6's...or any other number. This is not a matter of my opinion or perspective or way.

:roll: :wink: 8)

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted:  

numerology found throughout TUB pages is not similar to colloquial forms of numerology. I believe that numerology in the Urantia Book can be approached with logic. First, there is the premise that God is One, and the 7 functional possibilities that spring forth from the existences of 3 Deities.

There seems to be coincidence found in the number 70 and the number 12 as these were the organisational units (in # human individuals) for Jesus' teachers. As mentioned, these units converge harmoniously within the cosmos, and they are not constrained to the decimal system.

When we observe the patterns in nature, which seem to replicate the golden ratio, and expand according to the natural constant e, we are usually unable to quantify what we find in terms of definite integers. We are dealing with real numbers, impossible to quantify exactly. But if we begin to identify creatures, that is sentient creatures with distinct personalities, then we may count them as whole unitary figures. How many persons are in attendance, for example is brought upon by motivating and precipitating factors. There are ebbs & flows within the universe, and circumstances that arise which affect how we move about our daily lives. And ultimately by sheer determination, the sentient creature may overcome all material circumstances within the universe.

What is numerology? I do not know exactly. But I do know that the things we humans tend to count are often inaccurate, that our methods of figuring do not reflect the essential harmony of the cosmos. For example, what do we audit for ourselves versus what do the angels quantify for the Infinite Spirit. And how much more accurately must these informations be remembered and circulated. We want to know how many souls are surviving from the human races of urantia, and by what %. How to create food security. How to maximize the potential life around you. What are the factors, and how do we track our human progress.

Maybe this is not the superstitious numerology but the fact of statistics, and knowing what variables are the accurate factors which reflect the growth in nature.

PostPosted:  

SEla_Kelly wrote:
...We want to know how many souls are surviving from the human races of urantia, and by what %.

Not me. I have no interest in knowing that; there is no possible spiritual growth opportunity that would come from knowing any of that.

SEla_Kelly wrote:
...I believe that numerology in the Urantia Book can be approached with logic.

Interesting that you believe that. I don't. Numerology is superstitious and is about magic and the supernatural. Logic and numerology are antithetical. Now, certainly if one twists their personal definition of the word 'numerology' or uses qualifiers such as 'colloquial', which simply means the common meaning of a term - the common meaning of numerology is the belief that numbers are magical/ supernatural and that numbers have mystical relationships to coincidental events. That's not logical.

PostPosted:  

SEla….I am surprised. Why would you continue to support and insist upon the obviously false claim that numerology is found throughout the UB? Why? Please be specific. There is no numerology in the UB by ANY definition of the word - by dictionary or common usage or any other definition. And numerology is not logical - again, by ANY definition nor related to any mathematical or scientific or other reasoned application of numerals or integer relationships.

What is preventing you from knowing the definition of numerology? It has already been posted and is readily available by a word search on any search engine and there is uniform agreement as to its meaning. And yet you claim not to know the definition? Puzzling.

As the stated purpose of the UB is to eliminate error and reduce confusion by presenting facts related to universe reality, it makes me wonder as to the motives and agenda of those here who seek to add to or perpetuate error and increase confusion by such statements as you and BB post here on this topic (and other topics too). BB at least declares his own disbelief in the veracity of the text and truthfulness of the authors and so his intentions or willingness to perpetuate confusions is understandable. What's yours? Do you find the text literal and factual or metaphorical and requiring interpretation to find hidden meanings as BB does?

For those, like SEla, who remain confused as to what the definition of numerology is and/or for those who wish to participate in its meaningless entertainments, you may wish to visit:

https://www.numerology.com/

And for those who may wish to know more about the UB teachings on such primitivisms, here is a link to the keyword search for superstition OR superstitious :

https://truthbook.com/search/UBParagrap ... &start=all

8)