Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:16 am +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
PostPosted:  
Offline

Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:07 am +0000
Posts: 923
I don't think even the master did anything so profound in one big jump. Strangely enough I did find myself alone on a mountain top yesterday. While my car was being serviced I had a couple of hours to kill. Not far away was a nature park with trails heading up a big hill past some farms and above them was a forested small mountain. It was a tough decision to embark. The wind chill has been vicious and snow could be deep. I heard this morning that a woman in the region died of exposure. But the peace and beauty of the mountain and forest was so inviting and I was sure that the physical activity would burn enough calories to be safe. I count it as a blessing and wonderful surprise to be presented with an opportunity for such adventure.

Maybe doubting is a queue that we might need to dig deeper into reality. That can be painful, disappointing and requires strenuous exertion if we cling to things that aren't real. But the way forward is clear...


Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted:  
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:32 pm +0000
Posts: 121
Riktare wrote:
MidiChlorian wrote:
Quote:
(9.1) 0:5.11 Personality. The personality of mortal man is neither body, mind, nor spirit; neither is it the soul. Personality is the one changeless reality in an otherwise ever-changing creature experience; and it unifies all other associated factors of individuality. The personality is the unique bestowal which the Universal Father makes upon the living and associated energies of matter, mind, and spirit, and which survives with the survival of the morontial soul.

Now, as mentioned above, the “personality” really becomes fixed to an individual upon “the survival of the morontial soul”, or “immortal soul” but, does this require death of the mortal or can it be received while living?
This also implies that this “morontial”/”immortal” “soul” has acquired their real personality, which was seeded with the arrival of the “Thought Adjuster”, or as this seed becomes the “Mystery Monitor”, or “the real you” as associated with the TA.

That may be one of the reasons some celestial personalities call adjusters Mystery Monitors. They apparently bestow personality on the human they indwell. Or do the revelators claim that personality is bestowed upon physical birth?

I sometimes entertain the notion that personality is self-selected by the human at the point in time or eternity when they have been perfected. That perfected choice by the perfected person is reflected back in time by the adjuster. Such a scheme would seem to parallel the revelation or emergence of The Trinity of Trinities. It is an eternal fact that the Trinity of Trinities has always existed. It's only that the Cosmos and all of its inhabitants have prior to that point not developed to be able to see or understand the existence of The Trinity of Trinities.


Riktare, excuse me for not responding to your post above sooner but, which response statement to respond too?
It would seem that your post responded to my use of “Mystery Monitor” as a relation to “the real you” reference above where the UB uses "Thought Adjuster” and “Mystery Monitor” interchangeably in some cases and implies that they are the same entity which does no change over time and experience. If this were the case, why then not use just one, of these two terms, throughout the narration of the UB? In their constructive usage in context, one adjusts and the other monitors, what could be considered -- thought, however we know from the UB that until a certain point there really is no adjustment, only an influential pilot to direct thought. This is, assuming that there is a choice to be made, otherwise it is only your other-self negotiating with self, or in the case of the “monitor” which is the mysterious, other-self as related to conscious thinking, something like a conscience. So the “Monitor” is related to the “Adjuster” as is associated by definition from “noun” -- “(1) (especially formerly) a student appointed to assist in the conduct of a class or school, as to help take attendance or keep order. (2) a person appointed to supervise students, applicants, etc., taking an examination, chiefly to prevent cheating; proctor. (3) a person who admonishes, especially with reference to conduct. (4) something that serves to remind or give warning. ” And there are other definitions of “monitor” which take on the “device or arrangement for observing, detecting, or recording the operation of . . .”, but they would not fit the association as being one and the same, therefore the reason to call it a “Mystery” because until you know yourself or the “real you”, one really does not “know thy self”.

Riktare, in your reply above, you mention, as a notion “that personality is self-selected by the human at the point in time or eternity when they have been perfected.” I am not sure that I can agree with the previous statements in that, from the narration in the UB, the personality is bestowed as patterns which would be made up of patterns from your physical parents and the pattern attributes one receives from previous surviving patterns bestowed to you at the birth of the soul, upon the arrival of the Thought Adjuster, now open for future development. The self-selection that you mention could be from life choices made but I don’t think that they would be perfected at any point? The following statement you presented -- “the perfected person is reflected back in time by the adjuster” -- where I am not sure what you mean by “reflected back in time” to mean prior to birth or after death of the individual?

The following UB narration seems to have an interesting take on personality as associated more from various components of self and the immortal soul?

Quote:
(71.2) 5:6.7 The material self has personality and identity, temporal identity; the prepersonal spirit Adjuster also has identity, eternal identity. This material personality and this spirit prepersonality are capable of so uniting their creative attributes as to bring into existence the surviving identity of the immortal soul.

One could read the above quote in the following way?

The material self/personality - has personality and identity, temporal identity or identity “pertaining to or concerned with the present life on this world; the prepersonal spirit Adjuster also has identity, eternal identity -- spirit prepersonality united through the “creative attributes”, bringing into existence, over time, the surviving identity of the immortal soul.
It would seem that the “eternal identity” brought by the Thought Adjuster is a dead seed that when planted and cared for will germinate into a unique new real you, once you know yourself.

_________________
The Reality of knowing what Wisdom is, is in the Experiencing of the Philosophy of using Knowledge.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted:  
Offline

Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:29 am +0000
Posts: 3654
Riktare wrote:
MidiChlorian wrote:
Quote:

(9.1) 0:5.11 Personality. The personality of mortal man is neither body, mind, nor spirit; neither is it the soul. Personality is the one changeless reality in an otherwise ever-changing creature experience; and it unifies all other associated factors of individuality. The personality is the unique bestowal which the Universal Father makes upon the living and associated energies of matter, mind, and spirit, and which survives with the survival of the morontial soul.


Now, as mentioned above, the “personality” really becomes fixed to an individual upon “the survival of the morontial soul”, or “immortal soul” but, does this require death of the mortal or can it be received while living?
This also implies that this “morontial”/”immortal” “soul” has acquired their real personality, which was seeded with the arrival of the “Thought Adjuster”, or as this seed becomes the “Mystery Monitor”, or “the real you” as associated with the TA.


That may be one of the reasons some celestial personalities call adjusters Mystery Monitors. They apparently bestow personality on the human they indwell. Or do the revelators claim that personality is bestowed upon physical birth?

I sometimes entertain the notion that personality is self-selected by the human at the point in time or eternity when they have been perfected. That perfected choice by the perfected person is reflected back in time by the adjuster. Such a scheme would seem to parallel the revelation or emergence of The Trinity of Trinities. It is an eternal fact that the Trinity of Trinities has always existed. It's only that the Cosmos and all of its inhabitants have prior to that point not developed to be able to see or understand the existence of The Trinity of Trinities.


A couple of issues to consider Riktare:

First, all beings have personality, so therefor, there must be some agency of bestowal that is not the TA's. And for humans, anyone with children knows that personality is a reality of children long before the TA endowment. Second, if we "self-select" personality in the perfection of eternity yet to come (hahahaha), then how is it that all beings, and humans, have personality - even those who will not survive into eternity?

The soul has its origin in time. The soul is the 'self' that survives mortality and time. I think it illogical to assume that those and that which originate in time pre-exist their creation/origin in time. Only that and those of Paradise which/who are declared timeless and of the no-time, before time and after time of eternity have always existed. Pre-existence of mortal beings and soul certainly does defy and contradict the UB....or so I understand.

Personality, like mind, may itself be eternally timeless by the nature of its source....but not the character or reality of self as is self-determined in time by decisions and experiences and growth in time. Just because we can live forever does not then make us eternal beings without beginning...only without end. A fascinating topic for consideration and study....certainly related to soul birth and Adjuster indwelling....but very different too.

0:3.19 [Part I]
7. The potential personality of an evolutionary moral being or of any other moral being is centered in the personality of the Universal Father.

0:3.19 [Part I]
7. The potential personality of an evolutionary moral being or of any other moral being is centered in the personality of the Universal Father.

0:5.11 [Part I]
Personality. The personality of mortal man is neither body, mind, nor spirit; neither is it the soul. Personality is the one changeless reality in an otherwise ever-changing creature experience; and it unifies all other associated factors of individuality. The personality is the unique bestowal which the Universal Father makes upon the living and associated energies of matter, mind, and spirit, and which survives with the survival of the morontial soul.

0:6.1 [Part I]
Any and all things responding to the personality circuit of the Father, we call personal. Any and all things responding to the spirit circuit of the Son, we call spirit. Any and all that responds to the mind circuit of the Conjoint Actor, we call mind, mind as an attribute of the Infinite Spirit — mind in all its phases. Any and all that responds to the material-gravity circuit centering in nether Paradise, we call matter — energy-matter in all its metamorphic states.

Me here: it would appear from a study of Paper 112 that personality in mortals and most celestials is a gift bestowed by the Holy Spirit/Conjoint Actor....not by the TA....by a person of Deity and not the pre-personal fragments of Deity. I think, for example that all beings created in Paradise receives personality directly from the Universal Father and all those created in time and space receive personality from the Conjoint Actor in relationship/conjunction with the Creator Sons...still doing research on that one!

112:0.2 (1225.2) While it would be presumptuous to attempt the definition of personality, it may prove helpful to recount some of the things which are known about personality:

112:0.3 (1225.3) 1. Personality is that quality in reality which is bestowed by the Universal Father himself or by the Conjoint Actor, acting for the Father.

112:0.4 (1225.4) 2. It may be bestowed upon any living energy system which includes mind or spirit.

We may know personality comes before the TA in the mortal experience because personality is required for morality and choice...inherent requirements for the moral decisions which deliver the TA to the mortal experience by our responses to the Adjutant Spirits. Personality is one of the causes of the effects of morality choice which is the cause for the endowment of the TA which is then the cause of spiritization and the transfer of the seat of identity.

112:0.9 (1225.9) 7. Personality is changeless in the presence of change.

112:0.10 (1225.10) 8. It can make a gift to God — dedication of the free will to the doing of the will of God.

112:0.11 (1225.11) 9. It is characterized by morality awareness of relativity of relationship with other persons. It discerns conduct levels and choosingly discriminates between them.

Bradly

:idea: 8)


Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted:  
Offline

Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:07 am +0000
Posts: 923
MidiChlorian wrote:
It would seem that your post responded to my use of “Mystery Monitor” as a relation to “the real you” reference above where the UB uses "Thought Adjuster” and “Mystery Monitor” interchangeably in some cases and implies that they are the same entity which does no change over time and experience. If this were the case, why then not use just one, of these two terms, throughout the narration of the UB?


Yes, I think I remember the first few years of studying the revelation of being agitated or perplexed at the use of several words or names for apparently the same entity. But now I very much appreciate the second or third or fourth perspective on something so important to us and difficult to visualize. Thought Adjusters or Mystery Monitors seem to play critically important functions in the universe economy in addition to being our means for advancement and survival. They deserve to be described in detail.

MidiChlorian wrote:
In their constructive usage in context, one adjusts and the other monitors, what could be considered -- thought, however we know from the UB that until a certain point there really is no adjustment, only an influential pilot to direct thought. This is, assuming that there is a choice to be made, otherwise it is only your other-self negotiating with self, or in the case of the “monitor” which is the mysterious, other-self as related to conscious thinking, something like a conscience. So the “Monitor” is related to the “Adjuster” as is associated by definition from “noun” -- “(1) (especially formerly) a student appointed to assist in the conduct of a class or school, as to help take attendance or keep order. (2) a person appointed to supervise students, applicants, etc., taking an examination, chiefly to prevent cheating; proctor. (3) a person who admonishes, especially with reference to conduct. (4) something that serves to remind or give warning. ” And there are other definitions of “monitor” which take on the “device or arrangement for observing, detecting, or recording the operation of . . .”, but they would not fit the association as being one and the same, therefore the reason to call it a “Mystery” because until you know yourself or the “real you”, one really does not “know thy self”.


All good points of reference to help in building our concept and understanding of such refined entities...

MidiChlorian wrote:
Riktare, in your reply above, you mention, as a notion “that personality is self-selected by the human at the point in time or eternity when they have been perfected.” I am not sure that I can agree with the previous statements in that, from the narration in the UB, the personality is bestowed as patterns which would be made up of patterns from your physical parents and the pattern attributes one receives from previous surviving patterns bestowed to you at the birth of the soul, upon the arrival of the Thought Adjuster, now open for future development. The self-selection that you mention could be from life choices made but I don’t think that they would be perfected at any point? The following statement you presented -- “the perfected person is reflected back in time by the adjuster” -- where I am not sure what you mean by “reflected back in time” to mean prior to birth or after death of the individual?


As FanOfVan picked up on, the "self-selected" term is my own prototype concept which may or may not have any worth in understanding our relationship to our far future lives. Why I think it is possibly valid is that our heavenly father has a tendency to relegate to others those functions that which they can do themselves. And also that an evolving human is given the chance to exercise as much free will as possible provided those choices fit within the plans of the Infinite Architect.

We may read about the various universe personalities involved in "reflection" whereby information is exchanged immediately across vast distances of space. A slight conceptual jump might lead us to postulate reflection can work forwards and backwards in time also. That is most certainly the case for transcendental beings, those who are eventuated, don't you agree?

MidiChlorian wrote:
It would seem that the “eternal identity” brought by the Thought Adjuster is a dead seed that when planted and cared for will germinate into a unique new real you, once you know yourself.


I'd probably rephrase that to "ungerminated seed" or something similar, but those are good observations. The impression I get is that Finaliters are beings who are perfected - at least who have reached all possible perfection at that stage in their careers. They apparently are destined to be administrators of individual planets in the far reaches of currently uninhabited outer space. So they must be at least as well prepared and capable as Planetary Princes, perhaps far, far more so since the inhabitants of those planets will be something akin to Eventuators, won't they? They will be absonite?


Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 7 hours


Who is online

Registered users: Google Feedfetcher


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You can post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group