Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:43 am +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted:  
Site Admin

Greetings to All...

Continuing with the theme of giving thanks and developing a spiritual focus to both our inner and outer lives, in this season of Thanksgiving and the coming New Year, we want to invite all Forum members - and hopefully those of you who are new to our Forum - to give some thought to what your spiritual goals for 2018 might be.

This effort is in conjunction with a special feature on our front page called Trending Now, which will be posted just before the New Year; we hope to attract many of the site's visitors to join their voices with ours and share what spiritual goals they wish to pursue.

Maybe you're happy just to read the posts on this thread. Happy to have you visit! We hope you might want to post a list of your own thoughts and goals of your spirit as well.

If you have never posted here before, but would be interested in joining the Forum, sign-up is very easy. Once you are signed up, there's no obligation to post; but you may discover that the Forum is a great place to chat with Urantia Book readers, both new and seasoned. We are a polite and courteous group, and you are warmly invited to wade in.

So, give it some thought...let's make a joyful noise to God for his amazing generosity!

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted:  

I have found my spiritual center being tested this past year by our President's actions and comments. They upset me, which I believe is part of the objective. I resolve to endeavor to show through my actions and words that all people I come into contact with are worthy of a smile and kindness, no matter their race, gender or nationality. And to take a breath each time I read of some action designed to shake my core.

PostPosted:  
Site Admin

Hello,

In my life I've not had much success with goals directing my thoughts and actions, whether material goals or spiritual ones. In the past I've written lists of goals and made New Year's resolutions but they're soon forgotten in the flow of daily life. I know that goals are valuable and meaningful to many... for me they seem to slip by the wayside and I face life as I encounter it, rather than to try directing it from the driver's seat.

On a spiritual level my focus is to live as I would expect my heavenly Father and Jesus want me to live a life here in the flesh, with humility, without exaltation of ego, without anger, with as little contention with others as practical... less animal, more spirit; sometimes I'm successful, sometimes I fail. I don't expect that my spiritual attitude is particularly discernible to friends and family or to those around me, after all, we all tend to be more interested in ourselves than we are with others; that's where we focus our attention. My spirit life is mine alone and I'm willing to meet my maker and answer for my shortcomings as a human being -- the Father knows better than I what changes are required in order for me to progress.

Larry

PostPosted:  

As I look back on 2017. I am amazed at the opportunities I have had to make spiritual progress. I used to think ( when I was younger) that age would bring a sort of stasis - a plateau that would mean I had reached a point of rest. But the older I get, the more I realize that spiritual growth never ends. In fact, it may become more challenging as I get older because I know more, and my ideals are more clearly outlined.

So I plan to continue in 2018 to practice the things that always work the best for me:

staying very close to the Father in thought; asking for "right thinking" all the time.
always looking for the positive in every situation - a reason to be grateful.
expecting the best - no matter what - having an expectant faith that all is well.

Happy 2018 everyone!

PostPosted:  

well i "resolved" a few years ago to retire from work at the end of 2017. i'm not sure if its a spiritual goal and bearing in mind that the UB says resolutions are for the weak whereas the strong ACT NOW, been thinkin' i'll resolve to work on possibly the most startling thing i learned about Jesus from the UB when it says that he was never in a hurry. pretty much everything else it has to say about the master was immediately recognizable as desirable qualities but it really just blew me away when i read that he was never in a hurry.

i could elaborate but there's no hurry :-)

PostPosted:  

HAHA! I can relate to that one, Makalu...! That statement about the Master is one I always try to remember when life gets too hectic.

PostPosted:  

If there’s one thing I’ve learned in life, it’s that very little can be accomplished without setting a goal and having a plan to reach it. Fortunately, on a spiritual level, the UB reveals not only our ultimate goal but also tells us that our Adjusters have individual plans for each of us to reach it.

Now that I know my destination, I have ceased to worry, but I’m still left with the challenge of discovering the plan that my Father’s Spirit has ordained for me. In the meantime, my objective is Spirit fusion. This may sound a little arrogant, and the chances of it happening while on Urantia are pretty slim. Nonetheless, I know in my heart that this is what God wants for each and every one of us.

Having said this, I admit I would be happy enough just to reach the third psychic circle. Even this requires full control of my material self, an active state of mindfulness, a complete sharing of my life with the Spirit within, and a never-ending attitude of worship. These are my present goals.