Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:21 pm +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Eclipse
PostPosted:  

I know this will probably get flamed as not having to do with TUB, but does anyone think there's any significance to the eclipse being on the Master's Birthday?

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject: Re: Eclipse
PostPosted:  

We will soon find out.

PostPosted:  

There are those who claim JC himself will arrive!! I wonder if that will only happen where there actually is an eclipse in the 80 mile wide area? Does the date of an eclipse relevant to the time clock precision and predictability of an event that happens up to 5 times a year on Urantia (total eclipses only once or twice yearly). Ahhh...we're a funny bunch of monkeys...indeed! And I have no intention of flaming out on this....too amusing! Not Bad Friday or Easter or Passover?

:wink:

PostPosted:  
Site Admin

The total solar eclipse will only be seen in the USA. It will be night time for half of the planet during the time the eclipse is visible here so most of the world won't even be aware it's happening.

So, is the USA so special that major spiritual events will be initiated across the planet? Is the number 13 unlucky? Will breaking a mirror bring bad luck? Do the stars control our daily lives or our spiritual evolution? Even students of The Urantia Book still exhibit superstitious tendencies, still seeking signs and wonders. A study of the book is supposed to dispel primitive belief systems, give us greater spiritual clarity and elevate our understanding of history and destiny.

It's nice that the eclipse occurs on August 21 -- a special remembrance for those familiar with Urantia Book teachings... maybe 10,000 out of the over 6 billion people on this world... but we're not special and the date of the eclipse is just that, the date of the eclipse. Still, we can pray, honor and reflect on the meaning and value of what to us is a special day.

Best wishes,
Larry

PostPosted:  

Only 10,000 Larry?
I'm pretty sure it is a lot more than that.

PostPosted:  
Site Admin

It would be nice if that were the case but I don't think so. In its 75 year history perhaps a bit more than a million books have been distributed world-wide to this date. I believe that most go unread... disinterest, too big, too complex, too mysterious, doesn't appear to support one's present religious beliefs... and that for those who have been open minded enough to read this unusual book even cursorily most misunderstand its message; certainly the Urantia revelation has not become the guiding principle for those who know of its existence. There are few serious students of the text.

I base my belief in the low number, 10,000, on the fact that in the 15 years that Truthbook.com has been available on the internet the membership for the Quote of the Day has not grown and has remained a steady 5,000. Because there has been no growth there I conclude that there has also been no real growth in the base of Urantia adherents. The times for spiritual seeking have been on a world-wide ebb for quite some time. That could quickly change of course but seems unlikely.

Other clues for low readership numbers is that international conference attendance has declined for decades and that the number of study groups and societies remains consistently low.

Regarding the eclipse, most of the few who actually have read the book will still be unaware of the significance of August 21st. The superstition for a date being significant would be stronger if the eclipse occurred on Christmas day.

Larry

PostPosted:  

Agreed.

I was hoping you would provide some statistical data since obviously you have access to the website records.

I will point out however that there are many UB readers out there who are lone doves, keeping to themselves what they've learned through their experiences with God based on the information of the UB to simply be about the business of following Jesus and setting the example in service to their fellows.

There is a powerful lesson to learn from the narrative of Jesus's life, at least there is for me and I suspect that many others have learned it too, which is to do the spiritual work of serving our fellow man, in secret.

It very much impressed me that Jesus many times and in varying circumstances often would end conversations by saying "Tell no man."

PostPosted:  

I would also point out that most growth is occurring outside the USA and in non-English speaking cultures. And that online study groups are growing in number. And social media is forming networks in new formats....and many languages. Some suggest that far more micro-conferences and regional conferences will grow the total numbers of attendees globally.

The American model of leadership and growth and structures have worked well here but are not the future of the movement.

Some us will not be too happy over the globalization and our lack of control over outcomes and the future of the Revelation.

We will get over it....those who haven't already!!

:wink: 8)

PostPosted:  
Site Admin

"Tell no man" -- and yet, in every instance the Apostles and those who'd been cured or had met Jesus disregarded his admonition. I wonder if there were repercussions from not heeding such a request.

Larry

PostPosted:  

The Lord works in mysterious ways and they are not always in ways we can detect. I was sharing a church experience just the other day that gave me encouragement. The young priest at our church gave a homily that surprised me because I actually heard ideas from TUB in his presentation. Can anyone be sure that there are not many more sermons by clergy throughout the world that include Urantia Book teachings? Would those that paraphrase from TUB even admit to such a thing?

I have this overwhelming feeling that all "heaven" will soon break loose. God's work is augmenting exponentially! His will be done. Have faith in this, I tell you, and do not look for signs in the winds, or in the skies. There are many thousands who shall be called to be leaders and they shall be prepared to lead. Will it be our generation or are we the mustard seedlings? It is not for us to know. However, it is wise to be "prepers". Let the scouts take their place and prepare ye the way of the Lord.

Louis

PostPosted:  

Amen brother!

PostPosted:  

Hopefully it will give pause for folks in the path to look up and feel an awareness of something bigger than themselves and take the focus away from the pain that troubles our hearts these days. To give thanks for this little mud ball in space :) That would be a great birthday gift for Jesus, to uplift our consciousness ... <3 I did see a total eclipse from my backyard on 7/11/91 here in Hawaii and I was stunned...