Did James and Jude have Down Syndrome? - page 1 | Urantia Book Forum |

Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:33 pm +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted:  

I was watching a show called "Born that Way," which follows people who have Down Syndrome. While I was watching, it occurred to me that perhaps James and Judas Alpheus (the Alpheus Twins) might have had a mild form of Down Syndrome (named in 1866 after Dr. Down.

The Urantia Book says the two were very simple-minded, and might even have been described "reverently stupid."

The only reason I think this is significant is because Jesus, in his attempt to cull from all types of human personalities, chose his Apostles from the rank-and-file of human beings, and how wonderful it would be for people today to know that, indeed, two of his Apostles might have been either mildly retarded, or perhaps had Down syndrome.

What is also significant is the statement that, even though they might have been "slow" mentally, their spiritual experiences were equal to all others, which tells me spiritual experience has nothing whatsoever to do with intelligence.

Would not it be refreshing for people to know that Jesus was an equal opportunity employer?

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted:  

Never thought of that but I do like your post, especially the last line (y)

PostPosted:  

jwatkins00 wrote:
I was watching a show called "Born that Way," which follows people who have Down Syndrome. While I was watching, it occurred to me that perhaps James and Judas Alpheus (the Alpheus Twins) might have had a mild form of Down Syndrome (named in 1866 after Dr. Down.

I think that this is unlikely. Twin Down's is quite rare. The risk for congenital anomalies, even in mosaics, is high and life threatening in the first decade of life. Although Down's persons can expect to live into their 50s with modern medicine, these surgeries were obviously not available 2000 years ago.

There are innumerable conditions that can cause mental slowness, in addition to just being on the lower end of the intelligence IQ spectrum. My money is on James and Judas just being persons that were born with lower IQs.

Louis

PostPosted:  

No. The simple-mindedness of the Alpheus Twins Apostles was that they accepted Jesus' word without the need to probe. They carried forth instructions, and received happiness for their part and began their journey to heaven. The fact that they did not wrestle with the psychodynamic or philosophical implications of Jesus' words and life, in no way implies that these apostles had the Down's Syndrome.

PostPosted:  

It's also interesting to note that The Master didn't choose The Twins himself. The Master chose 6 apostles, didn't he? Then he asked those 6 to choose an additional 6, right? If I remember correctly Nathaniel was one of the 2 who chose one of The Twins.

PostPosted:  

Yes, you are right in the sense that the Alpheus Twins had accepted the promise of Nathaniel, even before accepting the teachings of Jesus. What do you make of it?