Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:52 am +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Perception of facts
PostPosted:  

The revelators say a great deal about the progressive expansion in the soul of a person in being able to perceive and appreciate values and meanings.
Are there passages that address how people or superhuman personalities perceive and appreciate facts?

We of course seem to be in a unique and extremely important time in our history where this is starting to be scrutinized. What is actually a "fact" may not be extremely well defined and understood in many circles. Figures, statistics and other measurements can be very highly context sensitive and obviously extremely misleading if they do not truly represent the reality of the situation as a whole. Examples of claimed facts can be either highly relevant or highly deceptive.

Please, let's adhere strictly to the forum rules. If there are examples presented as claimed "facts" they should probably have occurred or been claimed at least 50 years ago to avoid any political discussions.

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject: Re: Perception of facts
PostPosted:  

i'm not quite sure what you're driving at. facts are discovered...meanings are interpreted and values are evaluated. facts that dont completely represent the whole situation are still facts and a fact presented in a misleading context or for a deceptive purpose is still a fact...falsehood is in the premeditated twisting and distortion of principles.

maybe if you gave an example of what you had in mind?

PostPosted:  

Quote:
What is actually a "fact" may not be extremely well defined and understood in many circles. Figures, statistics and other measurements can be very highly context sensitive and obviously extremely misleading if they do not truly represent the reality of the situation as a whole. Examples of claimed facts can be either highly relevant or highly deceptive.

Riktare,

If I am understanding your intent here, I think this is a very insightful question. "Figures, statistics and other measurements can be very highly context sensitive and obviously extremely misleading if they do not represent the reality of the situation as a whole." If you are truly referring to God's reality, I fully concur. How immature we humans are to assume that observations which can be measured by our simple instruments are final. Context is the great equalizer and context is ever elusive to the God discovering mind.

Using the whole statement as quoted above as a beginning I would think it is important to realize that perspective has so very much to do with an accurate evaluation of what we call facts. By perspective I intend to suggest that the three dimensions of reality experience (length, breadth and height) as well as the time element all can offer comprehension of the reality of facts that we may be think we already understand. For example, even a small baby knows what a rattle is and how to use it. If we were to analyze his concept we may not even discover that he was inaccurate. As adults we know with little effort that his observation, even if accurate, is incomplete. Or we take the physical sciences of chemistry and physics, etc. to be appreciated as factual because their understandings are arrived at by rational discovery. But are they? Could it not be that we have either little understood or even misunderstood the factual representation of what rationalism has provided in that we failed to appreciate the total value placed upon a given fact by the creator? Isn't it possible that even facts while representations of God's reality offer us so much more than we can know until we see "as it were, face to face", and that our decision to claim comprehension is both actual and premature at the same time, that God has intended it so? Said another way, I suggest that we form a practice of being less certain of factual things we think we know and in so doing we begin to allow ourselves to perceive value which comes from our Thought Adjuster's reflection of our thoughts. Building our spiritual lives gives us unimaginable insights which we would be wise to regard. If we learn to appreciate God's value first the facts become both more valuable to us and, at the same, time less important for our intellectual stability. This in turn, allows our acceptance of other pilgrim's perspectives in that we become unified in our common Godly goals and allow for the vastly different views of life's reality. This will become blatantly apparent when we first discover living beings from another world (non-breathers or not) and realize they too are seeking the same God we are. Talk about different perspectives. . .

Now with all that said, we build our lives on facts, rationally understood and verifiable facts. Or do we? Don't we really build our lives on the value we perceive and personalize when we decide to trust those facts? Isn't faith actually what we use to grow? We believe we trust facts but don't we really trust the trust we put on them. The Urantia Papers talk about fact, idea and relation; thing, meaning and value; truth, beauty and goodness. We mustn't isolate one of these and make an assumption that it holds more weight than the others.

You asked about the celestial's view of facts. I can only suggest that the mind of the Universe Spirit works like the mind of the Universe Spirit at all levels. We all are partakers of the same mindedness. Although it seems to me that they would be able to express their understanding much more lucidly than I.

These are merely musings from one who wonders.

Thank you.

Jim

PostPosted:  

The fact of a lie is a tool. It can be used to discover and perceive truth.

A lie, the inverse of truth, adds to the clarity of truth because of the striking nature this point of perspective provides.

(4:1.4) "We know that all things work together for good to those who love God"

(54:4.7) While it is all too true that good cannot come of evil to the one who contemplates and performs evil, it is equally true that all things (including evil, potential and manifest) work together for good to all beings who know God, love to do his will, and are ascending Paradiseward according to his eternal plan and divine purpose.

(131:2.10) "'Come now, let us reason together,' says the Lord, 'Though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow. Though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool.' But there is no peace for the wicked; it is your own sins which have withheld the good things from you.

PostPosted:  

Greetings Riktare and fellow students!!

Riktare asks: "Are there passages that address how people or superhuman personalities perceive and appreciate facts?"

Me here: I would suggest that there is only one universal reality and a nearly infinite set of "facts" related to that reality with each fact being a component of that reality. Facts are true but not "truth" as described in the UB (IMO). Truth itself is relative to the beholder's perspective and experiential wisdom. But fact is always fact....regardless of one's knowledge of it or belief in it or experiential wisdom. Fact is indifferent to its awareness by any mind. Truth is defined by its awareness by mind.

118:5.3 (1299.3) Mortal consciousness proceeds from the fact, to the meaning, and then to the value. Creator consciousness proceeds from the thought-value, through the word-meaning, to the fact of action.....

Me: I would think that "mortal" in the quote above might include all creature minds in time and space? We are told that creation is a fact, a mechanism created that is real and functional. However, no minds created in time and space can understand all the mechanisms inherent within reality or how those were created or operate. Several authors of the Papers freely list many things they cannot explain but are known to them to be fact. Infinity and eternity are both facts but what minds can factually grasp such concepts? It is a fact that God knows everything about everywhere and everyone within all of reality....but who might explain such facts?

I think it unlikely that "local" mind can comprehend the mysteries of reality-fact without significant ascendant transcendence of mind itself in the Paradise adventure. I would also think that no mind of any kind will ever penetrate the Paradise Mind that created reality, manages and upholds reality, and creates the future in partnership with all minds and the Supreme in time still to come. Perception does not change reality but reality will change perception I think.

118:9.4 (1303.5) The grand universe is mechanism as well as organism, mechanical and living — a living mechanism activated by a Supreme Mind, co-ordinating with a Supreme Spirit, and finding expression on maximum levels of power and personality unification as the Supreme Being. But to deny the mechanism of the finite creation is to deny fact and to disregard reality.

118:9.5 (1303.6) Mechanisms are the products of mind, creative mind acting on and in cosmic potentials. Mechanisms are the fixed crystallizations of Creator thought, and they ever function true to the volitional concept that gave them origin. But the purposiveness of any mechanism is in its origin, not in its function.

118:9.6 (1303.7) These mechanisms should not be thought of as limiting the action of Deity; rather is it true that in these very mechanics Deity has achieved one phase of eternal expression. The basic universe mechanisms have come into existence in response to the absolute will of the First Source and Center, and they will therefore eternally function in perfect harmony with the plan of the Infinite; they are, indeed, the nonvolitional patterns of that very plan.

118:9.7 (1303.8) We understand something of how the mechanism of Paradise is correlated with the personality of the Eternal Son; this is the function of the Conjoint Actor. And we have theories regarding the operations of the Universal Absolute with respect to the theoretical mechanisms of the Unqualified and the potential person of the Deity Absolute. But in the evolving Deities of Supreme and Ultimate we observe that certain impersonal phases are being actually united with their volitional counterparts, and thus there is evolving a new relationship between pattern and person.

8)

PostPosted:  

Quote:
111:6.6 (1222.5) Science is the source of facts, and mind cannot operate without facts. They are the building blocks in the construction of wisdom which are cemented together by life experience. Man can find the love of God without facts, and man can discover the laws of God without love, but man can never begin to appreciate the infinite symmetry, the supernal harmony, the exquisite repleteness of the all-inclusive nature of the First Source and Center until he has found divine law and divine love and has experientially unified these in his own evolving cosmic philosophy.

111:6.7 (1222.6) The expansion of material knowledge permits a greater intellectual appreciation of the meanings of ideas and the values of ideals. A human being can find truth in his inner experience, but he needs a clear knowledge of facts to apply his personal discovery of truth to the ruthlessly practical demands of everyday life.

PostPosted:  

Thanks for all the thoughtful posts. In at least one paragraph the revelators almost equate facts with knowledge.

130:4.10 (1435.2) Knowledge is the sphere of the material or fact-discerning mind. Truth is the domain of the spiritually endowed intellect that is conscious of knowing God. Knowledge is demonstrable; truth is experienced. Knowledge is a possession of the mind; truth an experience of the soul, the progressing self. Knowledge is a function of the nonspiritual level; truth is a phase of the mind-spirit level of the universes. The eye of the material mind perceives a world of factual knowledge; the eye of the spiritualized intellect discerns a world of true values. These two views, synchronized and harmonized, reveal the world of reality, wherein wisdom interprets the phenomena of the universe in terms of progressive personal experience.

I suppose to sum it up so far, facts don't necessarily inform about what a person should believe or how they should choose to act or be. Truth needs to be there to know how to deal with one or more facts.

195:5.2 (2075.5) Truth often becomes confusing and even misleading when it is dismembered, segregated, isolated, and too much analyzed. Living truth teaches the truth seeker aright only when it is embraced in wholeness and as a living spiritual reality, not as a fact of material science or an inspiration of intervening art.

Maybe a deep and thorough study leads to the related concepts of confusion and error - especially the very early appearance of error which probably arises through confusion.

130:4.11 (1435.3) Error (evil) is the penalty of imperfection. The qualities of imperfection or facts of misadaptation are disclosed on the material level by critical observation and by scientific analysis; on the moral level, by human experience. The presence of evil constitutes proof of the inaccuracies of mind and the immaturity of the evolving self. Evil is, therefore, also a measure of imperfection in universe interpretation. The possibility of making mistakes is inherent in the acquisition of wisdom, the scheme of progressing from the partial and temporal to the complete and eternal, from the relative and imperfect to the final and perfected. Error is the shadow of relative incompleteness which must of necessity fall across man’s ascending universe path to Paradise perfection. Error (evil) is not an actual universe quality; it is simply the observation of a relativity in the relatedness of the imperfection of the incomplete finite to the ascending levels of the Supreme and Ultimate.

PostPosted:  

I've looked at "facts" from both sides now, from up and down and still some how, it's "facts" illusions I recall, I really don't know "facts" at all.

We must be ever mindful that the accuracy of our perception relative to a thing observed does not equate to a similar quality of perception of the observer. Our spiritual growth is not founded merely on accurate observation of facts but by honest and deep experience with our spirit reality, our Thought Adjuster. It isn't so important that we see God accurately, we have an eternity to get that right, as that we see ourselves as he sees us, point by point in our deepest selves.

It is in keeping this process in proper perspective that we are the most fruitful and useful for the kingdom.

PostPosted:  

Jim George wrote:
I've looked at "facts" from both sides now, from up and down and still some how, it's "facts" illusions I recall, I really don't know "facts" at all.

We must be ever mindful that the accuracy of our perception relative to a thing observed does not equate to a similar quality of perception of the observer. Our spiritual growth is not founded merely on accurate observation of facts but by honest and deep experience with our spirit reality, our Thought Adjuster. It isn't so important that we see God accurately, we have an eternity to get that right, as that we see ourselves as he sees us, point by point in our deepest selves.

It is in keeping this process in proper perspective that we are the most fruitful and useful for the kingdom.

48:7.23 21. The high mission of any art is, by its illusions, to foreshadow a higher universe reality, to crystallize the emotions of time into the thought of eternity.

That was artful, Jim.

PostPosted:  

fanofVan wrote:
We are told that creation is a fact, a mechanism created that is real and functional. However, no minds created in time and space can understand all the mechanisms inherent within reality or how those were created or operate.

I agree that nobody can understand all of the mechanisms inherent within reality, but we can have a basic understanding of how they are created and already understand a lot about how some of them operate.

In the context of the science of the Urantia Book it is a fact that there is a puissant emergent energy from which all of atomic creation flows.

0:6.6 ...pre-electronic level of energy-matter.

The Urantia Book clearly indicates that the cosmos is being created by a puissant emergent energy that exists below absolute zero gravitationally collapsing into the electronic organization of matter, producing light and heat along the way. The science of the Urantia Book also gives us an explanation of gravity as something that can be localized.

The most important thing we can do, as human beings, is to understand and use the mechanism of creation to move into an economy subsequent to a fossil fuel based economy. The transition to a new paradigm in physics will be difficult for the controlling point of view at first, but they will soon see the truth of it and follow the truth where it leads them. I believe it is the will of God that we save ourselves from the pollution and wars caused by this fossil fuel based economy.

regards, gray

PostPosted:  

Lets assume for a moment we are all sitting around a campfire discussing these things with Jesus. Remember where two or more are gathered he is in the midst. The following is what I would expect from him regarding your last post, Gray.

Quote:
152:5.3 “How long shall I bear with you? Are you all slow of spiritual comprehension and deficient in living faith? All these months have I taught you the truths of the kingdom, and yet are you dominated by material motives instead of spiritual considerations.”

While I am a strong advocate of sound ecological policies, I do not believe that sound ecology has one iota of value in making the world a better place to know God. It may well show how much we love him, in that we keep our house in order, but cleaning up our yard will not improve life on earth spiritually. And living spiritually is job one, according to Jesus. "Seek first the Kingdom of Heaven."

I only say this because many of you science majors seem to tend to focus your Urantia investigations on the facts and science, on cosmology instead of spirituality. Yet the whole revelation implores us to study how we as human beings can experience spiritual reality instead of settling merely on what to believe. Jesus wants much more than this from us. It is time we were more deeply honest with ourselves. These teachings are not to be taken so lightly. Boys and girls, God is real, this book is real and its time we got real about it.

Jim

PostPosted:  

graybear13 wrote:
fanofVan wrote:
We are told that creation is a fact, a mechanism created that is real and functional. However, no minds created in time and space can understand all the mechanisms inherent within reality or how those were created or operate.

I agree that nobody can understand all of the mechanisms inherent within reality, but we can have a basic understanding of how they are created and already understand a lot about how some of them operate.

In the context of the science of the Urantia Book it is a fact that there is a puissant emergent energy from which all of atomic creation flows.

0:6.6 ...pre-electronic level of energy-matter.

The Urantia Book clearly indicates that the cosmos is being created by a puissant emergent energy that exists below absolute zero gravitationally collapsing into the electronic organization of matter, producing light and heat along the way. The science of the Urantia Book also gives us an explanation of gravity as something that can be localized.

The most important thing we can do, as human beings, is to understand and use the mechanism of creation to move into an economy subsequent to a fossil fuel based economy. The transition to a new paradigm in physics will be difficult for the controlling point of view at first, but they will soon see the truth of it and follow the truth where it leads them. I believe it is the will of God that we save ourselves from the pollution and wars caused by this fossil fuel based economy.

regards, gray

I agree Graybear!! It is increasingly important for humanity to accomplish 3 things according to the paper on the Planetary Mortal Epochs (#52).

1. Apply the scientific method to the manipulation of energy and matter in ways which delivers humanity from the bondage of ignorance and the consequences inherent in mismanaging and misunderstanding the physical realities of creation and unlock the potential inherently available by the proper applications of science, engineering, and mechanical systems - scientific and material progress!

2. Apply the Golden Rule socially, as enhanced by personal spiritualization, to deliver universal brotherhood/sisterhood for the social upliftment upon the fulcrum of love and service to one another.

3. Unify and harmonize both the scientific/material and the social/brotherhood by a shared philosophy of living that is based on universe realities.

While I agree that the Revelation, to me, is primarily a personal teaching on how to live as a believer in the kingdom of reality, how to progress through the personal circles toward our individual destiny by transferring the seat of our identity from the material to the spirit (all of which should lead to a transformative process changing the very motives, intentions, priorities, and daily choices we make reflecting the growing fruits of the spirit), nonetheless we are given important factual information on the mechanics and dynamics of material reality for good and important reasons....while the individual is charged with personal transformation, still and also are we charged with learning about reality and serving others, both of which contribute to the planetary progress through the epochs. It is human science and societal developments that are in the hands of us mortals and we have a responsibility not only to care for our world as stewards but also to transform society and our world.

We will learn and learn and learn throughout our destiny journeys. We will learn how things mechanically operate and how they relate and integrate and how to utilize and manipulate these for the benefit of others and in service to others. We are charged with harmonizing, integrating, and balancing ALL of reality. It is not good enough to focus on only one priority or task and to ignore the others. It is certainly foolish and counterproductive to focus only upon the material realities of time and space but it is also inaccurate and naive to proscribe a narrow and limited perspective on the totality of reality for believers! We must also be the scientists, theorists, engineers, mechanics, designers, builders, social architects, physicists, doctors, geneticists, environmentalists, economists, politicians, teachers, and social unifiers, etc., who lead the world forward through the mortal epochs. Planetary evolution is a partnership of progress between humanity and our unseen friends. We cannot deny, avoid, abuse, or forsake the material work of the material worlds of our birth and fulfill our duty and potential by only focusing on our personal spirituality.

Material primitivism is a brake or anchor on civilization development. The ability to focus on the primary reality of spirituality requires the success of material manipulations to support the physical/material needs and requirements of the world's population. This is a most difficult and confusing process for our world....but it is vital work, especially for our world as we have no visible examples of celestial leadership to guide and direct this evolutionary process.

If we are to hold Jesus (as man and universe creator) as example (and we should!), then we might consider his own mighty efforts to become educated on how things work - a carpenter, boat designer and builder, student of history and cosmology as known in his day, a student of philosophy and even the weather and the movement of the fishes under water due to natural causes, a student of medicine and the healing arts, a trader and a teacher and traveler/translator in the secular world. To say that Jesus was only interested in the soul is very mistaken IMO - Jesus was a master student of reality - all of it. So, indeed, let us follow HIS example and learn to love our world and universe and also learn how it works and how to prosper and serve in the reality in which we reside!

Jim says above: "I only say this because many of you science majors seem to tend to focus your Urantia investigations on the facts and science, on cosmology instead of spirituality. Yet the whole revelation implores us to study how we as human beings can experience spiritual reality instead of settling merely on what to believe. Jesus wants much more than this from us. It is time we were more deeply honest with ourselves. These teachings are not to be taken so lightly. Boys and girls, God is real, this book is real and its time we got real about it."

I tire of hearing this same old refrain - "if one studies the teachings, then one does not live or apply the teachings in their life" or that "material divorcement and detachment is required to be spiritual"....a very limited, narrow, and inaccurate perspective of the Teachings we are blessed with (in my own view). Those who spend their time navel gazing also are not living the life of our potential, any more than those who hide in materialistic distractions - it is the unified and harmonized life we are taught to live, combining the material realities and the spiritual realities (or why else was so much fact and cosmology presented to us? shall we simply ignore half the book?). Jesus lived life! Every aspect of it.

Perhaps it is time to stop projecting our own priorities upon others? And stop the insinuating insults that others are not as holy and righteous as "me"....whomever "me" might be! We live on a material world in a material universe created by Jesus/Michael...surely we are to understand it too? It does not help discussion to obsess on what others are or are not doing or our own opinions on what others should or should not be doing. One thing we should not be doing is presuming the spirituality of another or our own superiority in such matters of free will choice and expression. The topic is the "perception of facts"....not how righteous someone might or might not be....a demonstration of unrighteousness for sure! Tend to the beam!

Thanks Makalu for this:

111:6.6 (1222.5) Science is the source of facts, and mind cannot operate without facts. They are the building blocks in the construction of wisdom which are cemented together by life experience. Man can find the love of God without facts, and man can discover the laws of God without love, but man can never begin to appreciate the infinite symmetry, the supernal harmony, the exquisite repleteness of the all-inclusive nature of the First Source and Center until he has found divine law and divine love and has experientially unified these in his own evolving cosmic philosophy.

111:6.7 (1222.6) The expansion of material knowledge permits a greater intellectual appreciation of the meanings of ideas and the values of ideals. A human being can find truth in his inner experience, but he needs a clear knowledge of facts to apply his personal discovery of truth to the ruthlessly practical demands of everyday life.

Here's some more related text on the value of the "perception of facts" and their utilization for true spiritual progress as well as planetary progress through the epochs of time (and thanks to all you believing "science majors" - keep up the good work!):

106:0.1 (1162.1) IT IS not enough that the ascending mortal should know something of the relations of Deity to the genesis and manifestations of cosmic reality; he should also comprehend something of the relationships existing between himself and the numerous levels of existential and experiential realities, of potential and actual realities. Man’s terrestrial orientation, his cosmic insight, and his spiritual directionization are all enhanced by a better comprehension of universe realities and their techniques of interassociation, integration, and unification.

102:2.5 (1120.2) Even the discoveries of science are not truly real in the consciousness of human experience until they are unraveled and correlated, until their relevant facts actually become meaning through encircuitment in the thought streams of mind. Mortal man views even his physical environment from the mind level, from the perspective of its psychological registry. It is not, therefore, strange that man should place a highly unified interpretation upon the universe and then seek to identify this energy unity of his science with the spirit unity of his religious experience. Mind is unity; mortal consciousness lives on the mind level and perceives the universal realities through the eyes of the mind endowment. The mind perspective will not yield the existential unity of the source of reality, the First Source and Center, but it can and sometime will portray to man the experiential synthesis of energy, mind, and spirit in and as the Supreme Being. But mind can never succeed in this unification of the diversity of reality unless such mind is firmly aware of material things, intellectual meanings, and spiritual values; only in the harmony of the triunity of functional reality is there unity, and only in unity is there the personality satisfaction of the realization of cosmic constancy and consistency.

102:2.6 (1120.3) Unity is best found in human experience through philosophy. And while the body of philosophic thought must ever be founded on material facts, the soul and energy of true philosophic dynamics is mortal spiritual insight.

102:2.7 (1120.4) Evolutionary man does not naturally relish hard work. To keep pace in his life experience with the impelling demands and the compelling urges of a growing religious experience means incessant activity in spiritual growth, intellectual expansion, factual enlargement, and social service. There is no real religion apart from a highly active personality. Therefore do the more indolent of men often seek to escape the rigors of truly religious activities by a species of ingenious self-deception through resorting to a retreat to the false shelter of stereotyped religious doctrines and dogmas. But true religion is alive. Intellectual crystallization of religious concepts is the equivalent of spiritual death. You cannot conceive of religion without ideas, but when religion once becomes reduced only to an idea, it is no longer religion; it has become merely a species of human philosophy.

102:2.8 (1121.1) Again, there are other types of unstable and poorly disciplined souls who would use the sentimental ideas of religion as an avenue of escape from the irritating demands of living. When certain vacillating and timid mortals attempt to escape from the incessant pressure of evolutionary life, religion, as they conceive it, seems to present the nearest refuge, the best avenue of escape. But it is the mission of religion to prepare man for bravely, even heroically, facing the vicissitudes of life. Religion is evolutionary man’s supreme endowment, the one thing which enables him to carry on and “endure as seeing Him who is invisible.” Mysticism, however, is often something of a retreat from life which is embraced by those humans who do not relish the more robust activities of living a religious life in the open arenas of human society and commerce. True religion must act. Conduct will be the result of religion when man actually has it, or rather when religion is permitted truly to possess the man. Never will religion be content with mere thinking or unacting feeling.

Very interesting topic! 8)

Bradly

PostPosted:  

Among the Google search results for "fact vs truth" is:

"The difference between truth and fact is that fact is something that cannot be combated with reasoning, for it is logic itself. But truth is something which depends on a person's perspective and experience."

(48:6.33) Law is life itself and not the rules of its conduct. Evil is a transgression of law, not a violation of the rules of conduct pertaining to life, which is the law. Falsehood is not a matter of narration technique but something premeditated as a perversion of truth. The creation of new pictures out of old facts, the restatement of parental life in the lives of offspring—these are the artistic triumphs of truth. The shadow of a hair's turning, premeditated for an untrue purpose, the slightest twisting or perversion of that which is principle—these constitute falseness. But the fetish of factualized truth, fossilized truth, the iron band of so-called unchanging truth, holds one blindly in a closed circle of cold fact. One can be technically right as to fact and everlastingly wrong in the truth.

We're at the point in history where this problem can't be disguised anymore by the age old tactic of "fact checking".

PostPosted:  

at simplest root the difference between truth and fact is one is spiritual reality and one is physical reality and the demonstrable proof of physical reality, "fact-checking", remains valid within its sphere...and the rules of logical reasoning for correctly associating facts are still valid too.

more on fact without truth:

Quote:
189:2.6 (2023.5) The Christian belief in the resurrection of Jesus has been based on the fact of the “empty tomb.” It was indeed a fact that the tomb was empty, but this is not the truth of the resurrection. The tomb was truly empty when the first believers arrived, and this fact, associated with that of the undoubted resurrection of the Master, led to the formulation of a belief which was not true: the teaching that the material and mortal body of Jesus was raised from the grave. Truth having to do with spiritual realities and eternal values cannot always be built up by a combination of apparent facts. Although individual facts may be materially true, it does not follow that the association of a group of facts must necessarily lead to truthful spiritual conclusions.

PostPosted:  

How the fact of the “empty tomb” is not the truth of the resurrection is a pretty good illustration of how "fact without truth" exists and can even lead to an error of perception that gets enthroned as the cornerstone of a mighty religion.

But there wasn't anything deceptive about it. In a way, it may have been inevitable.

Riktare wrote:
Examples of claimed facts can be either highly relevant or highly deceptive.

(48:6.33) Falsehood is not a matter of narration technique but something premeditated as a perversion of truth.

Riktare wrote:
What is actually a "fact" may not be extremely well defined and understood in many circles.

Riktare wrote:
We of course seem to be in a unique and extremely important time in our history where this is starting to be scrutinized.

For other inevitable reasons, there is occurring more and enhanced scrutiny of the facts. The same way how the Urantia Book clears up the truth of the resurrection, the uptick in the level of "spiritual enlightenment" (195:9.2) is making it harder for those who are committed to engage in premeditation "as a perversion of truth" to succeed in their nefarious ways.