Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:56 pm +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Re: Perception of facts
PostPosted:  

it wasn't deceptive but it's a logical fallacy when a missing fact (the material dissolution of the body) is replaced with an assumption of cause and effect (the resurrection of the body). if the myth of thomas touching the nail scars hadnt been added the fact that nobody recognized the Master at first in his morontia form might have led to a different explanation. <shrugs>

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted:  

We have heard repeatedly from Larry our moderator that he wishes we would all use our real names instead of hiding behind some fake cover. To me there is much more than that at stake. We are attempting to discuss the most important event in human history in the last 2000 years and yet we do it in hiding. Blogs like this are ways to discuss but lack the most common inputs in interaction of eye to eye contact, the sense of personal intent we get by being with another and so many other necessary inputs. So while we are trying to understand something so important as the Urantia Book we are also trying to appreciate a whole new communication paradigm. Sometimes not very well, I might add.

I will tell you something of me so when I include Jesus’ comments about spiritual versus material you may know something of the context I live in and relate to.
I am now 70 years old, have been a student of the Urantia Book for 47 years, have 4 children of my own, 2 step children and have been married twice, currently for 27 years. My employment finds me overseeing the logistics operation for a large but regional oil marketing company in North Dakota and Montana. I am also head of operations for our oil measurement certification operation which we operate throughout the Rocky Mountain region from Colorado north. I work with and oversee highly qualified and technically oriented engineers and technicians providing guidance and support and have a list of people who are on a waiting list to come work for me. This job is, after all, my ministry. To say that I am a merely a student of my navel and not aware of the importance and value of facts is, well, you choose the word.

So just to set the record straight, I mean no disrespect to anyone. But my study of the Revelation and my personal experiential relationship with God guides me. My focus in this group is admittedly on spiritual experience, deliberately so. I do not apologize for that. Spiritual experience is the primary way we know God, according to the Urantia Book and my own experience has born that out. I have focused my life on trying to understand, not what I think it means, but what God wants it to mean to me. It’s value and meaning are not intellectually appreciated, they are experienced through my willingness to submit my will to the will of God. If anyone does it differently, please engage me and explain so we can grow together. What I experience is that the experience come first then the analysis and lastly the understanding. To me, that is the way God designed this process. All I seek is clarity, and wish to have open and honest conversations about these very difficult issues for material minded humans like myself.

Yes lets study facts. They are the base upon which we discover reality. But the Urantia Book tells us that there are three dimensions of reality for our little minds. Thing, meaning and value all represent differently types and functions of comprehension. Merely thinking about meaning and value do not approximate the truth we can experience as humans regarding them. All I want to do is discover these processes and grow.

Jim

PostPosted:  
Site Admin

Thanks Jim, it's good to know you better. In the past I've opened up a little about myself and have had it thrown back at me so although it's good to have a better understanding of one another there are those with axes to grind, so it's good to be cautious and not reveal too much personal information on an open group. I don't think you did, I'm just sayin'.

I found The Urantia Book in 1975 and it immediately changed my life and has been my focus ever since. I'm 74 years old and I retired when I was 48 so I've had a lot of time to pursue my interests; I live in the Denver area.

Larry

PostPosted:  

I suppose logic is essentially the combination of facts in such a way that an inferred result is consistent with the facts considered and possibly many others.

Last night I happened to watch a Star Trek Voyager episode where the Vulcan First Officer Tuvok commits a nearly treasonous breach of the captain's orders.
Captain Janeway laid bare his excuses with a highly astute reprimand:

"You can use logic to justify just about any decision you make about almost anything. That's its power. And its flaw."

PostPosted:  

Facts are relegated to cosmic detail; whereas Jesus climbed Mount Hebron and dealt with the order of Nebadon, we are told that what he was confronted with is Real. Facts are in relation to this reality. How they are produced is the coordination of the cosmos with the will of god. Facts are therefore functional in their advisement of how man may produce or maintain things, and when the usefulness of a form has been exhausted. What it is, where it may be procured naturally, and its proper use categorize facts in a spectrum of concrete detail or objective relation towards existence.

The human lifespan allows for perceptions to adapt facts as relative to sensory input, as relative towards rational processes, and as relative towards one's livelihood. You cannot discount the baser elements if you are to develop an understanding of the facts, as relative to reality, which is only known by some degree of faith and a life as a morontial being.

PostPosted:  

Jim George wrote:
Lets assume for a moment we are all sitting around a campfire discussing these things with Jesus. Remember where two or more are gathered he is in the midst. The following is what I would expect from him regarding your last post, Gray.

Quote:
152:5.3 “How long shall I bear with you? Are you all slow of spiritual comprehension and deficient in living faith? All these months have I taught you the truths of the kingdom, and yet are you dominated by material motives instead of spiritual considerations.”

While I am a strong advocate of sound ecological policies, I do not believe that sound ecology has one iota of value in making the world a better place to know God. It may well show how much we love him, in that we keep our house in order, but cleaning up our yard will not improve life on earth spiritually. And living spiritually is job one, according to Jesus. "Seek first the Kingdom of Heaven."

I only say this because many of you science majors seem to tend to focus your Urantia investigations on the facts and science, on cosmology instead of spirituality. Yet the whole revelation implores us to study how we as human beings can experience spiritual reality instead of settling merely on what to believe. Jesus wants much more than this from us. It is time we were more deeply honest with ourselves. These teachings are not to be taken so lightly. Boys and girls, God is real, this book is real and its time we got real about it.

Jim

Hi Jim, I am a retired land surveyor in NW Arkansas. My wife of 46 years and I have 3 children together. I started reading TUB in 1976, but I went away from it for about 20 years. During those 20 years, raising kids and working, my hobby was trying to build a vortex generator. I was convinced that if I could control a very strong vortex, I could cancel earths gravity with it. I came back to TUB about 10 years ago and began to understand how the science in TUB verified my definition of gravity. My journey has been a spiritual one. I have spent countless hours during my 66 years sitting around campfires with Jesus.

I know that you have to rationalize that fossil fuel is the best we can do to fuel mankind's activities on earth, but TUB clearly suggests otherwise. If you choose to dismiss the science of TUB as non-spiritual and unimportant, well that is just "alternative facts".

I think that it is very unfortunate that the science in TUB didn't come to Einstein's attention one hundred years ago. We might have avoided two world wars and many regional conflicts with millions slaughtered and be much closer to Christ and a true brotherhood of man.

regards, gray

PostPosted:  

In 1976 I was informed that soon, I would be a father. I was 18 years old and totally unprepared. Although it became the most significant thing that ever happened in my life, at the time, I thought it was catastrophic but did however, immediately sense the possibility and opportunity that it still is.

Soon after my son was born (today is his 40th birthday) I realized that he wasn't mine. He was God's. And I knew it would be best to never forget this fact. For some reason, God trusted me enough to loan him to me for a while. So I knew I better pay attention.

My son thinks he has learned a lot from me. But what he doesn't know is that I've learned a lot more from him. It's because of the experience of fatherhood that I've acquired all that I have, especially the greatest of all gifts, sonship with our Father in heaven.

The facts contained in the Urantia Book came to my attention in 1982. My atheistic life had already come to an end on that day in 1976 and very soon thereafter I became acquainted with Jesus. After I realized the significance of the reality of the Urantia Book, I made it my business to study it and center my life around its facts so that I would the better represent our Father to his children that lived in my house. I shutter to think how many more mistakes I would have made without the gift of this knowledge, and to know the religious life of Jesus and how he lived it.

Back in 1982 what immediately astounded me was how unknown the book was in the world. I could not believe so few cared about it. I was sure important people would have run into it. My youth and inexperience didn't allow me to know yet of how engrained apathy towards spirituality is logged in the natures of most people and how it influences the way most people think. Now nearly 40 years later, I see better why this phenomenon continues not to fuel the curiosity of the masses. I can't express how grateful I am that the circumstances of my life led me to think along entirely different lines and how the Urantia Book increased my perception of the facts.

PostPosted:  

Thanks Gray, I sincerely hope you are successful with your invention. Based on your statement regarding how I justify my involvement in fossil fuels I surmise that we have different views of that and probably many other things, as it should be. Enough on that.

What I will attempt once again to portray is that there is a vast difference between a fact and any individual's perception of it. Facts exist. That is true, but we self limit our appreciation of total reality when we make assumptions that what we recognize is all there is to recognize. Not only do we limit understanding of that fact but we inhibit our available perception of ourselves as the perceiver. Again, thing, meaning and value. Three abilities to perceive reality with or through. When we allow our minds to open to a new or even a different view of a fact already known, we automatically apply meaning and value perceptions. But we have the same ability to alter meaning willfully and experience value willfully making what we humanly think of as a simple task of looking at a fact, orders of magnitude more complex. It is in this dynamic process of interaction that we are less inclined to rely on a single perception of a fact. This enables us to open our minds to consciously identify with our spirit resources and truly experience God's view of a fact; real spiritual insight. In other words, God can't speak to a mind that is closed because the person in control "already knows" what something means. Gradually we accumulate experience which allows us to rely on our perception of all three; things, meanings and value.

Keeping ourselves actively and continuously spiritually focused is what Jesus taught. That is what I was trying to say in the first place.

Jim

PostPosted:  

graybear13 wrote:
I was convinced that if I could control a very strong vortex, I could cancel earths gravity with it.

Hi Gray,
I agree with you. And it has already been done. It is called an airplane. There has been much controversy in aeronautics of late about what brings about lift from a wing. The older notions of air pressure differentials above and below the wing are not holding up to rigorous scrutiny. Neither is angle of attack or wing contours since flat wings work (hang gliders) and planes can fly upside down. Old facts of this reality are crumbling and new facts need to be realized. There is new wine in need of storage.

Your theory is evident in the vortices that form at wingtips and are counter rotational. This nullifies gravity with an antigravity effect. This is not buoyancy, as in dirigibles, and has nothing to do with Bernoulli's equations.

And airplanes cancels out gravity by creating a controlled and very strong vortex on its wingtips. Just see your theory played out by seeing footage of a plane traveling through cloud formations. You can easily see the vortices.

Your spinning pyramid created the vortex alright but it was not controlled because it required the counterrotating other half of the pyramid. That is a spinning octahedron. A spinning octahedron is like a gyroscope as mentioned in TUB that has anti-gravity effects and creates the strong vortex at both tips of the pyramidal structures of the octahedron. These are necessarily counter rotational just like at the wingtips of a plane traveling at high speed. It is the counter rotation of the vortices that gives the control required.

The question now is whether this platonic solid can spin in perpetuity with gravity and anti-gravity creating a zero point gravity well. And whether this perpetual motion of the Earth's rotation can be harnassed to spin generators for free electricity. God's will be done.

Louis

Last edited by toto on Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:09 am +0000, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted:  

nodAmanaV wrote:
Soon after my son was born (today is his 40th birthday) I realized that he wasn't mine. He was God's. And I knew it would be best to never forget this fact. For some reason, God trusted me enough to loan him to me for a while. So I knew I better pay attention.

I was very moved by what you have said here nod. These gifts of our children serve to remind us of Our Father, and why we should let them go.

Louis