Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:14 am +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Proposals
PostPosted:  

110:4:6 For many thousands of years, so the records of Jerusem show, in each generation there have lived fewer and fewer beings who could function safely with self-acting Adjusters. This is an alarming picture, and the supervising personalities of Satania look with favor upon the proposals of some of your more immediate planetary supervisors who advocate the inauguration of measures designed to foster and conserve the higher spiritual types of the Urantia races.

This passage I read last night gave me pause. It is somewhat disconcerting and I am wondering what types of proposals are up for consideration. If you take this passage and read paper 70 on human rights, I would lean toward these proposals being some type of "cleansing" operation for degenerates. This list from Paper 70 highlights a number of current problems in the US and the World. IMO we can tick off a number of these "problems".

70:12.6 If men would maintain their freedom, they must, after having chosen their charter of liberty, provide for its wise, intelligent, and fearless interpretation to the end that there may be prevented:

1. Usurpation of unwarranted power by either the executive or legislative branches.
2. Machinations of ignorant and superstitious agitators.
3. Retardation of scientific progress.
4. Stalemate of the dominance of mediocrity.
5. Domination by vicious minorities.
6. Control by ambitious and clever would-be dictators.
7. Disastrous disruption of panics.
8. Exploitation by the unscrupulous.
9. Taxation enslavement of the citizenry by the state.
10. Failure of social and economic fairness.
11. Union of church and state.
12. Loss of personal liberty.

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject: Re: Proposals
PostPosted:  
Site Admin

Hello JWS3Sons,

This is an interesting juxtaposition of two quotes. Considering them both, I would interpret them as relating to separate circumstances of the human condition. 109:2.0 describes the qualities of self-acting Adjusters. Like typical Adjusters, self-actuating Adjusters are concerned with the affairs of the individual, the choices of a human consciousness to connect with the divine leadings that will promote spiritual and moral growth. So the first quote is indicating that evolutionarily, fewer and fewer individuals have the physical machinery, the brain power or the spiritual inclination, to connect with Adjuster guidance, as evidenced by fewer and fewer third psychic circle beings functioning on the planet. More and more humans are burdened with inferior heredity, led by emotion, engage in irrational thinking, and seek external influences like drugs and alcohol to guide their actions than those who choose to function rationally and seek a spiritual connection to reality through an undisturbed mind.

The involvement of the Adjuster is only minimally concerned with the group activity of human government. Paper 70 reviews the history of the evolution of human government. We're not only given an overview of how government has evolved here, we're also given instruction in how it can be improved. The quote beginning at 70:12.6 describes how, once government has evolved to the point where the individuals it governs have acquired some degree of freedom... a rare condition on this world even today, it can be lost and the evolutionary acquirements can degrade. I would still hold the USA up as the prime example of government designed with individual freedom at its core. And I see one primary fault in our society that contributes to the rise of the 12 faults listed there. Freedom isn't a right; it's a privilege that has to be grown, nurtured and protected. Children will not naturally grow to adulthood with the concept of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness being a social focus; it has to be taught. Taught at home, in school and by the culture. Our social system with the two parent family as its foundation has broken down, leading to a breakdown in values being taught at home. Our education system ignores or rewrites history and civics. A respect for authority in the home and in public has eroded and self-assertion is increasing. This change in direction of the educational system is pulling us away from the hard won values of freedom described here in The Urantia Book.

The 12 points for preventing the loss of freedom are each topics worthy of consideration and discussion.

Best wishes,
Larry

Last edited by lwatkins on Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:33 am +0000, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted:  
Site Admin

"... are each topics worthy of consideration and discussion." within the context of The Urantia Book. (Just in case anyone feels that this is permission to engage in a free-for-all.)

PostPosted:  

lwatkins wrote:
The 12 points for preventing the loss of freedom are each topics worthy of consideration and discussion.

Gremlin wrote:
"... are each topics worthy of consideration and discussion." within the context of The Urantia Book. (Just in case anyone feels that this is permission to engage in a free-for-all.)

I see no freedom in the requiring of permission. There is no "free-for-all" allowed. Is not 'the context of The Urantia Book' that which concerns Urantia?

I am afraid JWS3Sons that your topic may very well be a non-starter for any discussion. All of you can rest easy that I will not participate.

Louis Manuel Collazo, (aka, Toto, Troll, loucol, johnnybones, MannyC, Louis, and whatever Bradly wants to add)

PostPosted:  

toto wrote:
lwatkins wrote:

Gremlin wrote:

I see no freedom in the requiring of permission. There is no "free-for-all" allowed. Is not 'the context of The Urantia Book' that which concerns Urantia?

I am afraid JWS3Sons that your topic may very well be a non-starter for any discussion. All of you can rest easy that I will not participate.

Louis Manuel Collazo, (aka, Toto, Troll, loucol, johnnybones, MannyC, Louis, and whatever Bradly wants to add)

WOW!! :(

Greetings JWS and thanks for the topic and for Larry's observations related to the two quotes in question. The fair warning provided by Gremlin is understood by me for the discussion to come to not get bogged down into local or recent politics and to stay focused on issues related to epochal progress (Paper 70) and on planetary ministry designed "to foster and conserve the higher spiritual types..." (Paper 110). I agree these are not precisely the same topic or issue.

I doubt the ministry to "the higher spiritual types" relates to a "cleansing" operation which I think implies a process of elimination which does not increase or improve the spiritual types already existing (just an opinion of course). So what form of ministry or action, which would not violate free will or personal sovereignty or basic human rights, might be employed for such an objective? And why, in the early 20th century, was it historically noted there were fewer and fewer folks who were mentally/emotionally stable enough or receptive enough for self acting Adjusters? Which might lead to consideration of self acting Adjusters and their role in planetary upliftment....which does tie directly to Paper 70...The Evolution of Human Government (which title and contents, by the way, I would contend have primarily to do with the normal evolution on all worlds and not specifically to our own).

I agree the list of 12 are quite the list of contemporary challenges for our world, which the following 2 Papers (71 & 72) continues to examine. We are provided that road map that will define the trip to the destination of L&L, but we are not exactly guided on how to wisely proceed from any particular point on that journey....accomplishment achieved and challenges ahead are more discernable but the actual strategies and tactics to overcome the next challenge is, I think, left to our own struggle - and it is struggle over many generations for each challenge, we are taught in Paper 52, through the Mortal Epochs.

And this, I think, is the reason for the recommended caution by Gremlin.....the time unit perspective and all the related teachings in the Papers would also advise that we not take a particularly short or narrow point of view when considering these most interesting and important issues you raise JWS. One thing I am confident in is that all who work in personal and planetary ministries are far more patient and far sighted than those of us they minister to and who are here such a brief moment of time....they are not so impatient as we are.

I look forward to the thoughts of all others...and hope one keeps his promise that we might "rest easy"....hahahahaha.

:wink: 8) Bradly

PostPosted:  

Here's an interesting quote from Paper 52 on the Mortal Epochs and related to the 110:4.6 quote posted by JWS:

52:6.7 (598.2) 5. Spiritual insight. The brotherhood of man is, after all, predicated on the recognition of the fatherhood of God. The quickest way to realize the brotherhood of man on Urantia is to effect the spiritual transformation of present-day humanity. The only technique for accelerating the natural trend of social evolution is that of applying spiritual pressure from above, thus augmenting moral insight while enhancing the soul capacity of every mortal to understand and love every other mortal. Mutual understanding and fraternal love are transcendent civilizers and mighty factors in the world-wide realization of the brotherhood of man.

I wonder what "spiritual pressure from above" might mean? Here's a fuller text:

52:6.2 (597.3) Even on normal evolutionary worlds the realization of the world-wide brotherhood of man is not an easy accomplishment. On a confused and disordered planet like Urantia such an achievement requires a much longer time and necessitates far greater effort. Unaided social evolution can hardly achieve such happy results on a spiritually isolated sphere. Religious revelation is essential to the realization of brotherhood on Urantia. While Jesus has shown the way to the immediate attainment of spiritual brotherhood, the realization of social brotherhood on your world depends much on the achievement of the following personal transformations and planetary adjustments:

52:6.3 (597.4) 1. Social fraternity. Multiplication of international and interracial social contacts and fraternal associations through travel, commerce, and competitive play. Development of a common language and the multiplication of multilinguists. The racial and national interchange of students, teachers, industrialists, and religious philosophers.

52:6.4 (597.5) 2. Intellectual cross-fertilization. Brotherhood is impossible on a world whose inhabitants are so primitive that they fail to recognize the folly of unmitigated selfishness. There must occur an exchange of national and racial literature. Each race must become familiar with the thought of all races; each nation must know the feelings of all nations. Ignorance breeds suspicion, and suspicion is incompatible with the essential attitude of sympathy and love.

52:6.5 (597.6) 3. Ethical awakening. Only ethical consciousness can unmask the immorality of human intolerance and the sinfulness of fratricidal strife. Only a moral conscience can condemn the evils of national envy and racial jealousy. Only moral beings will ever seek for that spiritual insight which is essential to living the golden rule.

52:6.6 (598.1) 4. Political wisdom. Emotional maturity is essential to self-control. Only emotional maturity will insure the substitution of international techniques of civilized adjudication for the barbarous arbitrament of war. Wise statesmen will sometime work for the welfare of humanity even while they strive to promote the interest of their national or racial groups. Selfish political sagacity is ultimately suicidal — destructive of all those enduring qualities which insure planetary group survival.

52:6.7 (598.2) 5. Spiritual insight. The brotherhood of man is, after all, predicated on the recognition of the fatherhood of God. The quickest way to realize the brotherhood of man on Urantia is to effect the spiritual transformation of present-day humanity. The only technique for accelerating the natural trend of social evolution is that of applying spiritual pressure from above, thus augmenting moral insight while enhancing the soul capacity of every mortal to understand and love every other mortal. Mutual understanding and fraternal love are transcendent civilizers and mighty factors in the world-wide realization of the brotherhood of man.

8)

PostPosted:  

Thanks for the replies. I appreciate the thoughtful response Fan and Larry. I think we ought to work on the points in Paper 52. That seems like the way to go.

PostPosted:  

I also think that's a good place to begin....it seems the 12 problems/challenges you listed from Paper 70 are normal issues and challenges encountered on all worlds as they progress through the mortal epochs. Interestingly, there are 7 mortal epochs listed but there are another 7 epochs or phases of the era of Light and Life as well so every world traverses 14 distinct epochal transformations. Of course, like birthdays the transition is one day to another, meaning there is no profound or significant changes which occur instantly....all progressions for a planet are evolutionary over time and are measured, I think, by the greater number experiencing the greater change, not all at once or with singular uniformities.

Urantia is a very unique world compared to 95-99% of those who retain the Prince's headquarters and the Garden throughout their history (including the 10% of decimal/experimental worlds)...it's a deliberate "layering" effect of one progressive step added to all prior steps and effects. Not so here. We are told we pretty much lost everything gained by the Prince's HQ and soon returned to savagery after the fall of the Garden. Both planted seeds but neither resulted in the permanent examples and modifiers and uplifters of the mortal races. The missionaries of Mel and the great spiritual awakening a few centuries after that and before Michael's bestowal and then the religion about Jesus and the Spirit of Truth and resulting TA flood are the primary planetary "influences" for humanity today. So, our world is now said to require "..a much longer time..." and "...far greater effort..."....and "..unaided social evolution..." which I think means unaided by a Prince's HQ and Garden or any material form of Divine/celestial planetary government and leadership.

So....I truly am curious what others think about the meaning of "..spiritual pressure from above..." which is "The only technique for accelerating the natural trend of social evolution...". I cannot seem to associate it with another part of the Papers or discern the meaning or device of such "spiritual pressure". Thanks.

8)

PostPosted:  

Brad,

Great question. The only problem with "spiritual pressure" is that its meaning it can't be defined. Each individual must derive a meaning for him or herself that suits that person's appreciation of value they are able to place upon their experience of it. It isn't like a volume of gas in a contained space that we can put a pressure gauge on and measure it. There is no comparison to anything else in all the universe so comparisons are inadequate. It is transcendent so it isn't something we can understand the meaning of at all. Spiritual pressure is the quality of the experience of reality, not the meaning of it. So all we can do is experience it. Even experience doesn't automatically enable us to understand but what we are able to do when and only when we experience it is place value on it. It becomes the most valuable experience of life. Now and forevermore. Spirit pressure is a sense of value not available to the human mind. It is an awakening to the quality of reality in our soul that is literally the path to eternity. It must come from God and it can only be valued by living faith. Remember Eternal value is the reality of spirit. Perception of value is spirituality. Humans cannot imitate and appreciate it. We cannot imagine and appreciate it. We must experience it to appreciate it. We can study Deity until we are blue in the face and dead but if we simply allow ourselves to experience God's divinity, his spiritual quality of reality, we will live, forever! The key is we must allow ourselves the experience. Jesus stands at the door and knocks. We have to open it.

So I say ask your Heavenly Father if he will show you what his feelings of that phrase are. I am being very serious. I was given such an experience so I know that only by experience can it be understood. So simply put, I cannot tell you or anyone what spiritual pressure means, but I can tell you what it feels like.

Quote:
100:3.4 Meaning is something which experience adds to value; it is the appreciative consciousness of values.

Jim

PostPosted:  

Greetings Jim...I agree with you about "personal" transcendence. The question asked and the text posted has more specifically to do with "social" transcendence or progress related to their being fewer individuals who respond to the spirit adequately for self acting adjusters. There are other factors to be considered here I think. There are, evidently, more spirit forces and influences than the 3 great spirits of TA, Mother, and Son.

"The only technique for accelerating the natural trend of social evolution is that of applying spiritual pressure from above, thus augmenting moral insight while enhancing the soul capacity of every mortal to understand and love every other mortal."

For example:

19:5.9 (220.4) We know that the Trinity Teacher Sons are devoted to the conscious enlightenment of universe creatures. I have arrived at the settled conclusion that the Inspired Trinity Spirits, by superconscious techniques, are also functioning as teachers of the realms. I am persuaded that there is a vast body of essential spiritual knowledge, truth indispensable to high spiritual attainment, which cannot be consciously received; self-consciousness would effectively jeopardize the certainty of reception. If we are right in this concept, and my entire order of being shares it, it may be the mission of these Inspired Spirits to overcome this difficulty, to bridge this gap in the universal scheme of moral enlightenment and spiritual advancement. We think that these two types of Trinity-origin teachers effect some kind of liaison in their activities, but we do not really know.

19:5.10 (220.5) On the superuniverse training worlds and on the eternal circuits of Havona, I have fraternized with the perfecting mortals — spiritualized and ascendant souls from the evolutionary realms — but never have they been aware of the Inspired Spirits, which ever and anon the powers of detection resident in the Solitary Messengers would indicate were very near us. I have freely conversed with all orders of the Sons of God, high and low, and they likewise are unconscious of the admonitions of the Inspired Trinity Spirits. They can and do look back in their experiences and recount happenings which are difficult to explain if the action of such Spirits is not taken into account. But excepting Solitary Messengers, and sometimes Trinity-origin beings, none of the celestial family have ever been conscious of the nearness of the Inspired Spirits.

8)

PostPosted:  

"Spiritual pressure from above" is inherent in life. That moral insight is augmented and soul capacity is enhanced, still, the choice (faith) to open the door to the experience of spiritual living (doing the Father's will) is not. Nonetheless, this choice is the only real spiritual force an individual has.

(195:5.1) The twentieth century has brought new problems for Christianity and all other religions to solve. The higher a civilization climbs, the more necessitous becomes the duty to "seek first the realities of heaven" in all of man's efforts to stabilize society and facilitate the solution of its material problems.

PostPosted:  

Agreed.

We are told that factual and epochal revelation is a compliment and supplement to personal revelation and is for the purpose of reducing confusions and eliminating errors in thinking and perspective, to support the inner life's discernment of living truth. One can assume from this that personal revelation is therefore insufficient for the mind to realize the facts of reality which are indispensable to approach and realize (or reality-ize) universe and relationship realities. It is not one over the other or instead of the other...it is the utility of both and in conjunction which helps harmonize the inner life with the reality of the universe.

115:1.1 (1260.2) Partial, incomplete, and evolving intellects would be helpless in the master universe, would be unable to form the first rational thought pattern, were it not for the innate ability of all mind, high or low, to form a universe frame in which to think. If mind cannot fathom conclusions, if it cannot penetrate to true origins, then will such mind unfailingly postulate conclusions and invent origins that it may have a means of logical thought within the frame of these mind-created postulates. And while such universe frames for creature thought are indispensable to rational intellectual operations, they are, without exception, erroneous to a greater or lesser degree.

Me here: Related to the topic, we are taught that as go the parts so goes the whole...so, there cannot be social progress (the effect) without the "cause" (personal progress in its aggregation which becomes or results in social progress). And yet, we are also taught that social progress lends its own helping hand to individual spiritization. Agondonters are a distinct "class" of ascender and those born in an era of social stability and sanity and progressing priorities (consider being born on a planet already settled in L&L for example) does also bring effect to personal spiritual progress potential within the mortal life itself. Indeed, the Papers teach that the Mansion Worlds become obsolete, or nearly so, eventually based on a system's status of settlement. Each world and system and constellation and local universe and super universe are destined to achieve the jubilees of being fully settled in L&L.

We know that the stages of personal and planetary ministries are manifold and designed to integrate with one another and that the Mother's Spirit, in conjunction with the Adjutants' ministry leads this progression until such time that the Son's Spirit is bestowed and the Father Fragments flood a world....these are significant forms of personal upliftment which result in social progressions through the Mortal Epochs of time. The quote from 19:5.9 introduces another form of truth ministry at work throughout time and space as well. And then there is the Supreme to consider.

115:7.7 (1267.1) The Supreme Being cannot be fully appreciated without taking into consideration source, function, and destiny: relationship to the originating Trinity, the universe of activity, and the Trinity Ultimate of immediate destiny.

116:4.10 (1273.2) When the bestowal Sons reveal new ways for man to find God, they are not creating these paths of divinity attainment; rather are they illuminating the everlasting highways of progression which lead through the presence of the Supreme to the person of the Paradise Father.

116:6.6 (1275.6) And as it is with the parts, so it is with the whole; the spirit person of Supremacy requires the evolutionary power of the Almighty to achieve completion of Deity and to attain destiny of Trinity association. The effort is made by the personalities of time and space, but the culmination and consummation of this effort is the act of the Almighty Supreme. And while the growth of the whole is thus a totalizing of the collective growth of the parts, it equally follows that the evolution of the parts is a segmented reflection of the purposive growth of the whole.

116:7.6 (1276.7) Man’s urge for Paradise perfection, his striving for God-attainment, creates a genuine divinity tension in the living cosmos which can only be resolved by the evolution of an immortal soul; this is what happens in the experience of a single mortal creature. But when all creatures and all Creators in the grand universe likewise strive for God-attainment and divine perfection, there is built up a profound cosmic tension which can only find resolution in the sublime synthesis of almighty power with the spirit person of the evolving God of all creatures, the Supreme Being.

117:0.3 (1278.3) When an evolving mind becomes attuned to the circuits of cosmic mind, when an evolving universe becomes stabilized after the pattern of the central universe, when an advancing spirit contacts the united ministry of the Master Spirits, when an ascending mortal personality finally attunes to the divine leading of the indwelling Adjuster, then has the actuality of the Supreme become real by one more degree in the universes; then has the divinity of Supremacy advanced one more step toward cosmic realization.

117:0.4 (1278.4) The parts and individuals of the grand universe evolve as a reflection of the total evolution of the Supreme, while in turn the Supreme is the synthetic cumulative total of all grand universe evolution. From the mortal viewpoint both are evolutionary and experiential reciprocals.

Me here: I think it fascinating to consider this "feedback loop" effect which adds magnification by the additional force of ever greater aggregations of effect from cause...experiential reciprocals. The more spiritualized the individual becomes, the more responsive we then are to the gravity and mind circuits of ministry....and the more the Supreme grows into potential and power to influence the each as well as the all.

Such an integration of mutual dependence...the cause which delivers effect, which becomes further cause with more effects, magnifies its increasing power of effect over time. All worlds in time and space are thusly and collectively "effected" by this growing cause. The realization of potential endlessly increases potential for further realization. How would anyone know of this amazing symmetry and process of cause and effect and effects with cause without epochal revelation? Reason and comprehension and utilization require facts to discover truth by the perspective of the enlightening and truth discovering mind. We are each in a true partnership which takes multiple forms: the birth and parenting of soul but also the realization of potential with the Supreme.

116:0.2 (1268.2) When viewing the exquisitely perfect spheres of Havona, it is both reasonable and logical to believe they were made by a perfect, infinite, and absolute Creator. But that same reason and logic would compel any honest being, when viewing the turmoil, imperfections, and inequities of Urantia, to conclude that your world had been made by, and was being managed by, Creators who were subabsolute, preinfinite, and other than perfect.

116:0.3 (1268.3) Experiential growth implies creature-Creator partnership — God and man in association. Growth is the earmark of experiential Deity: Havona did not grow; Havona is and always has been; it is existential like the everlasting Gods who are its source. But growth characterizes the grand universe.

Me here: All of this relates to not only personal progress for each mortal but also to planetary progress through the Mortal Epochs of time....or so I conclude.

8)

PostPosted:  

welp rightly, wrongly, incompletely or whatever when i think of "spiritual pressure from above" i think of the TA's and the grand universe all seeking unification and a vast host of descending personalities assisting that growth and ascension and the Spirit that flows from on high, filling all the low areas, seeking it's own level and returning to it's Source.

PostPosted:  

Still in agreement.....

The questions posed and the topic discussed is planetary progress through the mortal epochs and that as related to the comment by the author that our world suffers from a decline of individuals who "could function safely with self-acting Adjusters". The topic is not about how the individual progresses through the circles or transfers one's seat of identity.

It is, rather, about the statement that each generation has delivered "fewer and fewer beings who..." and how that relates to planetary progress....or so I understand JWS's posts.

I look forward to discussion on the topic presented. Thank you.

8)

PostPosted:  

One of the most important facts presented in the Papers to me is the inevitability of planetary destiny for all inhabited worlds, yes even our own. That certainty of inevitability helps the mortal mind to gain the important time unit perspective which calms our immature impatience and encourages even the tadpoles to walk with confidence in the destiny and loving ministry we all share...and emboldens us to contribute to this inevitability as we walk by with our personal talents and in loving service. It is by such maturity and perspective and confidence that we are better able to attach our branch to the vine and bring forth the fruits of Divine love. We who live in the kingdom here and now are the workers in fields for the harvest of potential realized still to come.

55:6.9 (631.5) If the mortals of distraught Urantia could only view one of these more advanced worlds long settled in light and life, they would nevermore question the wisdom of the evolutionary scheme of creation. Were there no future of eternal creature progression, still the superb evolutionary attainments of the mortal races on such settled worlds of perfected achievement would amply justify man’s creation on the worlds of time and space