Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:54 am +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted:  

Yes....we have much yet to muddle through:

52:6.2 (597.3) Even on normal evolutionary worlds the realization of the world-wide brotherhood of man is not an easy accomplishment. On a confused and disordered planet like Urantia such an achievement requires a much longer time and necessitates far greater effort. Unaided social evolution can hardly achieve such happy results on a spiritually isolated sphere. Religious revelation is essential to the realization of brotherhood on Urantia. While Jesus has shown the way to the immediate attainment of spiritual brotherhood, the realization of social brotherhood on your world depends much on the achievement of the following personal transformations and planetary adjustments:

The list which follows this quote is quite interesting and illuminates how much there is still to do which "normally" takes tens of thousands of years.

I also find it interesting that Paper 52 describes 7 distinct eras or phases of Light and Life - which is not one of the prior 7 Mortal Epochs....so every world actually transitions through 7 stages and then 7 more.

8)

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted:  

While I am still not sure of nod's purpose in this topic, I am satisfied that the subject incorporates many different concepts presented in the Papers related to planetary inevitabilities over very long time frames and the perspective of the mortal which is here such a brief time and all of that within the larger context of forevermore. We mortals have such a short time to learn how to manage the place and the times in which we live. In the past change was often glacial in its slowness, things probably appeared to never change from birth to death. And while this may persist still today for some people in some places, for many, change seems persistent, even relentless, and feels accompanied by acceleration. Coping with such change is daunting to all I think and I believe faith is so important in both cases....nothing seems to change and everything is always changing. For those who lack faith in a loving God who is truly in control of the Universe of universes, I cannot imagine how one might cope except by escapes, pleasures, distractions, and all the forms of material attachments to fend off feeling helpless and hopeless.

For me, this is the greatest value faith brings to my daily life in the vicissitudes and along the edges of conflict. I know why I'm here and what must be learned and my destiny to come and the Most Highs will care for our world while the Spirit cares for me. I am led and uplifted as is our world as well. One fascinating thing is how the world's upliftment depends upon the Spirit's work within and how patiently the Most Highs await the outworking of the Spirit within for their planetary ministry and its inevitable results. Some folk are resigned and defeated, others are angry and impatient, some are filled with anxieties and fear, but some of us know that our destiny is assured and we are emboldened to walk daily in hope, confidence, contentment, and assurance that there really is nothing to fear and no value in impatience and that we might help others, our world, and our own being by becoming an agent of and conduit for love.

It is incredible to me how slowly a world grows and transforms and yet how quickly the individual can do the same. The pace of planetary progress is completely dependent upon how many of seven and a half billion souls transform themselves within and by the Spirit. This means there is a rising tide of spirit transformation over time and that the Adjutants, the Holy Spirit, the Spirit of Truth, and the God Fragments have a growing success rate in a growing population that is increasing/improving proportionately throughout the Mortal Epochs. The interconnectedness forms a feedback loop of sorts which uplifts in both directions at once - personal and planetary - planetary and personal. Just thinking out loud here....the mystery of evolutionary progress which includes restraints and accelerants - both - it would appear that love and universal brotherhood are what we should be most focused on...the planet's progress depends upon those the most for potential to be realized:

Some more from Paper 118 on planetary progress:

118:8.5 (1302.2) The whole principle of biologic evolution makes it impossible for primitive man to appear on the inhabited worlds with any large endowment of self-restraint. Therefore does the same creative design which purposed evolution likewise provide those external restraints of time and space, hunger and fear, which effectively circumscribe the subspiritual choice range of such uncultured creatures. As man’s mind successfully overstrides increasingly difficult barriers, this same creative design has also provided for the slow accumulation of the racial heritage of painfully garnered experiential wisdom — in other words, for the maintenance of a balance between the diminishing external restraints and the augmenting internal restraints.

118:8.6 (1302.3) The slowness of evolution, of human cultural progress, testifies to the effectiveness of that brake — material inertia — which so efficiently operates to retard dangerous velocities of progress. Thus does time itself cushion and distribute the otherwise lethal results of premature escape from the next-encompassing barriers to human action. For when culture advances overfast, when material achievement outruns the evolution of worship-wisdom, then does civilization contain within itself the seeds of retrogression; and unless buttressed by the swift augmentation of experiential wisdom, such human societies will recede from high but premature levels of attainment, and the “dark ages” of the interregnum of wisdom will bear witness to the inexorable restoration of the imbalance between self-liberty and self-control.

118:8.7 (1302.4) The iniquity of Caligastia was the by-passing of the time governor of progressive human liberation — the gratuitous destruction of restraining barriers, barriers which the mortal minds of those times had not experientially overridden.

118:8.8 (1302.5) That mind which can effect a partial abridgment of time and space, by this very act proves itself possessed of the seeds of wisdom which can effectively serve in lieu of the transcended barrier of restraint.

118:8.9 (1302.6) Lucifer similarly sought to disrupt the time governor operating in restraint of the premature attainment of certain liberties in the local system. A local system settled in light and life has experientially achieved those viewpoints and insights which make feasible the operation of many techniques that would be disruptive and destructive in the presettled eras of that very realm.

118:8.10 (1302.7) As man shakes off the shackles of fear, as he bridges continents and oceans with his machines, generations and centuries with his records, he must substitute for each transcended restraint a new and voluntarily assumed restraint in accordance with the moral dictates of expanding human wisdom. These self-imposed restraints are at once the most powerful and the most tenuous of all the factors of human civilization — concepts of justice and ideals of brotherhood. Man even qualifies himself for the restraining garments of mercy when he dares to love his fellow men, while he achieves the beginnings of spiritual brotherhood when he elects to mete out to them that treatment which he himself would be accorded, even that treatment which he conceives that God would accord them.

PostPosted:  

8) removed repost by author...oops. :wink: :biggrin:

PostPosted:  

A large part of globalization is climate change. By 1934, the Earth had experienced the industrial revolution and the arrival of the automobile and the airplane. Why no mention of worldwide global warming by the Midwayer Commission? They should have seen it coming and why didn't they warn us?

61:5.8 Away from the ice the land and water life of the world was little changed. Between the ice invasions the climate was about as mild as at present, perhaps a little warmer. The glaciers were, after all, local phenomena, though they spread out to cover enormous areas. The coastwise climate varied greatly between the times of glacial inaction and those times when enormous icebergs were sliding off the coast of Maine into the Atlantic, slipping out through Puget Sound into the Pacific, and thundering down Norwegian fiords...

This Life Carrier tells of climate between previous ice ages that were perhaps a little warmer than at present (c1934). I assume we are now between ice ages and that some warming, if at all, should be considered to be quite normal and cyclical.

So why all the current political panic? I suggest we follow the money. It is very difficult to redistribute wealth because those who have more, because they worked for it, do not want to give it up. And the wealthy are more politically connected. The best way is to build up enormous governments with enormous bureaucracies and play Robin Hood of Locksley and do it by force. Except we should call it something nicer than an arrow in your heart. Let us call it "Taxes". Better yet, let us call it a Carbon Tax. And evil doers with large feet and even larger bank accounts should pay more. Let us make you guilty for killing the planet so you won't fight back. Let us gather pseudoscientists from all over to convene and conduct there scientific thought experiments by committee. We can allow data but only that data and observations that agrees with the creed of our "conventional" wisdom. It is hard enough to make a living doing science so why not accept bribes to do a good thing for the planet. After all, we can justify it by demonizing evil oil companies, dirty coal and those wealthy fat cats that fly around in their jets like Gore and Decaprio. Oh no, I didn't mean to mention those two. Oops!

Never let a manufactured crisis go to waste. I was 14 years old when I began preparing for the next ice age after Time Magazine's cover story of June 4, 1973. I live in Florida and now I want to sell my 20 parkas on eBay. Any takers? I guess the market was low for winter weather gear back then. They had some terrific lobbying success, would you not agree? I wonder who stands to get rich with this warming crisis. Perhaps it is the bikini industry.

There are cats waiting to get fat all over. I call it the Garfield revolution. The Garfield agreement took place April 22, 2016 in Paris France with 194 overeating felines giving their paw prints to the agreement. Get your carbon credit cards ready because these 'Puss in Boots' want lots of kibble and cat nip.

As Toto, I don't much care for fat cats of any variety, especially those deceitful Tabbys. But I do know where the Vet takes my temperature, and it ain't pretty. I wonder where they take the Earth's temperature. I suppose it is the same place that they take mine. I hear Paris is lovely this time of year, albeit a bit stinky.

PostPosted:  
Site Admin

This sounds too much like conspiracy theory musings. TUB contains a considerable amount of information about climate change -- the climate warms and it cools. The poles may have ice or they may not. It's certainly inconvenient to us humans, but that's the way global climate works. The climate will only be stabilized when light and life are achieved, when the life and teachings of Jesus are in the hearts and minds of all earthlings.

Larry

PostPosted:  

Well said Toto!

Let's face it, the "redistribution" of wealth, as the terminology is currently being used deceptively, is simply put - communism. They tried this in Russian starting in 1917, which led to it being forced on people in other countries, notably, Cuba. You Toto, being of Cuban descent know how this worked out. Not very well. It only resulted in a pervasive form of poverty and hopelessness, like it did in those other countries.

The other thing that occurred in these countries is that their so-called leaders (criminals) ended up with all the wealth. Living in luxury hypocritically, becoming the same tyrants they over-through.

Self-servers like politicians and pseudoscientists know what they're doing. It's a shame, but perhaps now at least there's hope, seeing how this new movement towards the implementation of common sense has planted roots in the consciousness of the people. New leaders have appeared and they have taken out their brooms to do some much needed sweeping in the many dirty houses of society's institutions. Thank God!

And yes Larry, you're absolutely right. How long shall we wait before the only solution to all our problems are realized? The enthronement of the Fatherhood of God and the brotherhood of men, the gospel of the kingdom, in everyone's hearts.

Thank you.

Time to get to work.

PostPosted:  

Yes nod, I agree. And I agree with Larry that there is hope for us to reach light and life when the teaching of Jesus are universally accepted in the hearts of all.

But Larry, it is not a theory if there is proof. Nod well delineated the proof of history, which just ended an instant ago. If we ignore history we are doomed to repeat it. I would rather value progress. The meaning of life is adaptability. Only by adapting can we harvest its value, progressability. I would agree that we cannot adapt to theories but can can adapt to facts.

Nod said, "Time to get to work". Very Thomasonian.

PostPosted:  

it doesn't matter if you think global warming is natural or man-made...if you deny that the poles are warming and ice is melting and seas are rising then you're just ignoring history. we should be doing what we can to prepare for the future...or we can pass the whole issue off as a hoax and focus on constructing some half-baked crackpot paranoid conspiracy theories.

PostPosted:  

Makalu wrote:
if you deny that the poles are warming and ice is melting...

I keep hearing "reports" that temperatures at the south pole are falling. If that's true, ice won't be melting in Antarctica because it's getting colder there, not warmer.

So what's up with that?

Maybe the earth is just half baked.

PostPosted:  

the antarctic ice sheet is melting due to warming...the sea ice is growing due to colder winds caused by the hole in the ozone layer...the growth or melt of sea ice makes no difference in sea level btw. maybe a little half-baked knowledge is a dangerous thing

Antarctica's Ice Sheets Are Melting Faster — And From Beneath

and

According to a NASA press release:[29]
"Across most of the continent and the surrounding Southern Ocean, temperatures climbed... The temperature increases were greater and more widespread in West Antarctica than in East Antarctica, where some areas showed little change or even a cooling trend. This variability in temperature patterns across Antarctica complicates the work of scientists who are trying to understand the relative influence of natural cycles and human-caused climate change in Antarctica."[30]

Antarctica seems to be both warming around the edges and cooling at the center at the same time. Thus it is not possible to say whether it is warming or cooling overall.

PostPosted:  

If scientists are funded by government grants, do you think there might be a bias? Milk goes with cake.

PostPosted:  

the research is public and peer reviewed...and we have photos that prove the ice is melting...your conspiracy theory holds no water

PostPosted:  

So your saying there's proof that the climate is changing? It's always changing. Is there proof that mankind is affecting this change?

PostPosted:  

If someone can show me good science that proves that CO2 is a green house gas, maybe I will come around. I need to see the details of such experimental science and not a computer model whose programmer is in on it.

Some Antarctic ice sheets have been melting but they failed to report the volcanic activity below the ice on land an under the coastal sea waters.

I thought that holes in the ozone layer would lead to more ultraviolet rays from the Sun that would cause heating, not colder winds. Or is this just one of those paradoxical effects that explains the arctic vortex?

Makalu wrote:
According to a NASA press release:[29]
"Across most of the continent and the surrounding Southern Ocean, temperatures climbed... The temperature increases were greater and more widespread in West Antarctica than in East Antarctica, where some areas showed little change or even a cooling trend. This variability in temperature patterns across Antarctica complicates the work of scientists who are trying to understand the relative influence of natural cycles and human-caused climate change in Antarctica."[30]

Antarctica seems to be both warming around the edges and cooling at the center at the same time. Thus it is not possible to say whether it is warming or cooling overall.

I just love NASA press releases. Their starting hypothesis already assumes human-caused climate change in Antarctica. So the scientists start from that biased axiom. The scientists are having complications with getting data to corroborate that axiom because the climate is so variable. Has anyone told these lame scientist that we are not stupid. An axiom is a given. We have been told for a decade or longer that this is all settled science. Why are they investigating it any further? It is fact and that is final! The consensus is in and the scientific votes have been tallied. Human-caused climate change is a fact, they tell us, but they have to still get a paycheck, so they will just keep working at cementing that fact. They are so stupid, they almost drummed themselves out of business. By claiming that it is settled science they nearly got themselves laid off. This is rich indeed.

But they think that the public is so gullible and ridiculously stupid that they figured that we can be fooled, not once, not twice, but ad infinitum. Now the climate scientists are back tracking because they need to put food on the table and get their kids through college. They state, "It is not possible to say whether it is warming or cooling overall". Wow, what hutzpah! The next press release may very well say that they are very close to discovering the Higgs Particle. Oops! Wrong hoax. Wait, we need more money to discover the existence of BigFoot. Then they are currently developing a computer model for that. Oops! Wrong hoax again. But if anyone sees him, tell them immediately. He's got the biggest carbon footprint in existence. He owes global community a lot of carbon credit. They may accept bit coins.

NASA has no shame or no brains, I can't tell which, maybe both. This press release amounts to a confession to gross deception and outright extortion. Your hard earned tax dollars at work folks.

nodAmanaV wrote:
So what's up with that?

Maybe the earth is just half baked.

You may not realize just how true that is, nod.

The gravitational field stealthily disguised as the Earth's magnetic field causes particle of matter to move across the equator, bowing out into space like a donut shape. The motions across the equator are unequal and motion seeks to be balanced. Since it is not easy for motion to cross the equator (i.e. hurricanes) the particles of ions must cross to the opposite hemisphere in an attempt to balance motion between hemispheres. Particles fly upwards, let say from the southern hemisphere, and bow out into space and land in the northern hemisphere or visa versa, depending on the current polarity of the Earth. This is the particles path of least time because gravity act greater in the plane perpendicular to the Earth's axis. In this way the Earth is balances the motions of the matter differential between the hemispheres. Currently, the southern hemisphere is cooler because they send the particles and the northern hemisphere receives them. Since heat is the measure of electronic activity (TUB), the particles landing in the northern hemisphere heat it up a bit more, while the southern is cooled a bit. The opposite will be true if we have a flip in the Earths's polarity. And who know when that will happen. Keep checking your compasses. This has happened before and will happen again.

So yes nod, the Earth is half baked in this sense.

PostPosted:  

Makalu wrote:
the research is public and peer reviewed...and we have photos that prove the ice is melting...your conspiracy theory holds no water

Yes, I know of the photos. They were peer reviewed through peer pressure. Wow, the gullibility is astounding, or maybe it is just your trusting nature. What does melting ice look like in glossy color prints? Did they tell us that the before shots were in winter and the after shots were in summer? Maybe you may want to buy my parkas from the 1970s. It was a very short ice age. I think they now call it a cold snap. Check with the Farmer's Almanac.

You are mistaken, the conspiracy theory cannot hold water because the water just turned to ice.

As toto I can testify to the fact that if you throw water at a wicked witch, they melt. :lol:

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next