Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:24 am +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted:  

Hi all,

I'm a new member to this forum and fresh reader of The Urantia Book. I find The Urantia book very captivating, intriguing, and the consistency of what I have read (though mostly read about) is quite fascinating.

Before this I have read Science of Mind by Ernest Holmes and have talked with a Rev. from a Center for Spiritual Living organization, in which their teachings are derived from the Science of Mind book and other Holmes writings. I am curious as to how does the Science of Mind teachings relate to The Urantia Book? Are there similar teachings and if so, are they the same, or does The Urantia Book make sense of them? How does The Urantia Book explain "spontaneous" healing's of the mortal, fleshly body that those in the New Thought movement have performed?

Also, in An Autobiography of a Yogi, the author mentions saints that have been able to materialize in several places at the same time, perform healing's, and talks of saints (as does the Roman Catholic and Eastern Orthodox Church) appearing to us mortals on several different personal occasions. For example, how does The Urantia Book explain or make sense of Mother Mary coming out of an Icon from the Eastern Orthodox Church and speaking with the Christian who has prostrated his/herself to the icon?

Before The Urantia Book, I have had a huge interest in the teachings of the Eastern Orthodox Church. I have found that much of its teachings are very similar with the Urantia Book of what I have been able to read so far. I then became interested in the Science of Mind and its philosophy of God and humankind (Spirit, Soul, Body).

My questions are simply how does the Urantia Book explain such events as those listed above? I'm eager to learn and understand, but some questions I'd rather have a brief understanding of or direction before I spend months and months reading haha. Sometimes I'm impatient about particular things.

Thank you all for your help and responses!! It means so much.

In Peace and In Love,

The Servant

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted:  

Welcome to our friendly corner of the Internet in which we share perspectives and learn from one another as we study and consider the teachings of the Urantia Book.

I have not had the pleasure of reading the book, "Science of the Mind" by Ernest Holmes, so I cannot comment on how the Urantia Book's teachings relate to it. I suggest you take a look at Urantia Book paper 42, "Energy - Mind and Matter", for example:

Quote:
42:10.7 (481.4) On Paradise, mind is absolute; in Havona, absonite; in Orvonton, finite. Mind always connotes the presence-activity of living ministry plus varied energy systems, and this is true of all levels and of all kinds of mind. But beyond the cosmic mind it becomes increasingly difficult to portray the relationships of mind to nonspiritual energy. Havona mind is subabsolute but superevolutionary; being existential-experiential, it is nearer the absonite than any other concept revealed to you. Paradise mind is beyond human understanding; it is existential, nonspatial, and nontemporal. Nevertheless, all of these levels of mind are overshadowed by the universal presence of the Conjoint Actor — by the mind-gravity grasp of the God of mind on Paradise.

Quote:
42:11.8 (482.6) The higher the universe mind associated with any universe phenomenon, the more difficult it is for the lower types of mind to discover it. And since the mind of the universe mechanism is creative spirit-mind (even the mindedness of the Infinite), it can never be discovered or discerned by the lower-level minds of the universe, much less by the lowest mind of all, the human. The evolving animal mind, while naturally God-seeking, is not alone and of itself inherently God-knowing.

As for modern-day spontaneous healings and other mysteries and miracles, the Urantia Book does not address these in any specific way. It does explain many of the healings and miracles that Jesus performed while in the flesh on earth, and those are all contained in Part IV of the Urantia Book.

Quote:
149:2.7 (1671.2) When the Creator himself was on earth, incarnated in the likeness of mortal flesh, it was inevitable that some extraordinary things should happen. But you should never approach Jesus through these so-called miraculous occurrences. Learn to approach the miracle through Jesus, but do not make the mistake of approaching Jesus through the miracle. And this admonition is warranted, notwithstanding that Jesus of Nazareth is the only founder of a religion who performed supermaterial acts on earth.

What I infer from my multiple readings of the book is that there is much in our world that is unknown and will remain unexplained, but that doesn't mean things don't exist that we can't understand. In fact, faith in that which is not seen is the very definition of our condition as mortals on this planet.

Again, welcome, and I look forward to further discussions.

PostPosted:  

Greetings & Welcome!!

I look forward to discovery and discussion of the contents in the Urantia Papers with you and our community here.

Not to be elusive or obtuse, but I would recommend that it might be more productive to know what you are reading in the UB and the questions/comments that reading has raised for you; rather than to immediately compare/contrast the UB with other works. I think it wise to allow you to find some confirmations of your current perspective and some new concepts to consider from your actual reading than to so quickly to confront conceptual conflicts and contradictions.

All UB students approach the Papers with a set of preconceptions regarding universe reality which will definitely find such conflict and contradictions to consider. The UB claims to be a book of facts related to the cosmology (organization/function) of the universe of universes and introduces many new facts and perspective for every truth seeker/religionist to accept or reject or create some momentary confusions whilst additional reading often resolves....over time.

I will say that you will find significant similarities/confirmations between the UB and The Science of Mind teachings - but you will also discover differences too. For the edification of other UB students here, I copied the following from the SOM website:

We envision all people, all beings, and all life as expressions of God.

•We see a world in which each and every person lives in alignment with his/her highest spiritual principle, emphasizing unity with God and connection with each other; a world in which individually and collectively we are called to a higher state of consciousness and action.

•We envision humanity awakening to its spiritual magnificence and discovering the creative power of thought; a world where each and every person discovers his/her own personal power and ability to create an individual life that works within a world that works for everyone.

•We envision a world in which we live and grow as One Global Family that respects and honors the interconnectedness of all life; a world where this kinship with all life prospers and connects through the guidance of spiritual wisdom and experience.

•We envision a world where personal responsibility joins with social conscience in every area of the political, corporate, academic, and social sectors, providing sustainable structures to further the emerging global consciousness.

•We envision a world where each and every person has enough food, a home and a sense of belonging; a world of peace and harmony, enfranchisement and justice.

•We envision a world in which resources are valued, cared for, and grown, and where there is generous and continuous sharing of these resources.

•We envision a worldwide culture in which forgiveness (whether for errors, injustices, or debts) is the norm.

•We envision a world which has renewed its emphasis on beauty, nature, and love through the resurgence of creativity, art, and aesthetics.

•We envision a world that works for everyone and for all of creation.

Again.....welcome.

Brad 8)

PostPosted:  

I'm going to post some text which not only validates the aspirations of the SOM material I posted, but also confirms that every world in the universe eventually and inherently achieves those aspirations. I only post this as a form of support and to show confirmations of similarities. I hope you will forgive the length. Peace. 8)

6. Urantia’s Post-Bestowal Age

52:6.1 (597.2) The bestowal Son is the Prince of Peace. He arrives with the message, “Peace on earth and good will among men.” On normal worlds this is a dispensation of world-wide peace; the nations no more learn war. But such salutary influences did not attend the coming of your bestowal Son, Christ Michael. Urantia is not proceeding in the normal order. Your world is out of step in the planetary procession. Your Master, when on earth, warned his disciples that his advent would not bring the usual reign of peace on Urantia. He distinctly told them that there would be “wars and rumors of wars,” and that nation would rise against nation. At another time he said, “Think not that I have come to bring peace upon earth.”

52:6.2 (597.3) Even on normal evolutionary worlds the realization of the world-wide brotherhood of man is not an easy accomplishment. On a confused and disordered planet like Urantia such an achievement requires a much longer time and necessitates far greater effort. Unaided social evolution can hardly achieve such happy results on a spiritually isolated sphere. Religious revelation is essential to the realization of brotherhood on Urantia. While Jesus has shown the way to the immediate attainment of spiritual brotherhood, the realization of social brotherhood on your world depends much on the achievement of the following personal transformations and planetary adjustments:

52:6.3 (597.4) 1. Social fraternity. Multiplication of international and interracial social contacts and fraternal associations through travel, commerce, and competitive play. Development of a common language and the multiplication of multilinguists. The racial and national interchange of students, teachers, industrialists, and religious philosophers.

52:6.4 (597.5) 2. Intellectual cross-fertilization. Brotherhood is impossible on a world whose inhabitants are so primitive that they fail to recognize the folly of unmitigated selfishness. There must occur an exchange of national and racial literature. Each race must become familiar with the thought of all races; each nation must know the feelings of all nations. Ignorance breeds suspicion, and suspicion is incompatible with the essential attitude of sympathy and love.

52:6.5 (597.6) 3. Ethical awakening. Only ethical consciousness can unmask the immorality of human intolerance and the sinfulness of fratricidal strife. Only a moral conscience can condemn the evils of national envy and racial jealousy. Only moral beings will ever seek for that spiritual insight which is essential to living the golden rule.

52:6.6 (598.1) 4. Political wisdom. Emotional maturity is essential to self-control. Only emotional maturity will insure the substitution of international techniques of civilized adjudication for the barbarous arbitrament of war. Wise statesmen will sometime work for the welfare of humanity even while they strive to promote the interest of their national or racial groups. Selfish political sagacity is ultimately suicidal — destructive of all those enduring qualities which insure planetary group survival.

52:6.7 (598.2) 5. Spiritual insight. The brotherhood of man is, after all, predicated on the recognition of the fatherhood of God. The quickest way to realize the brotherhood of man on Urantia is to effect the spiritual transformation of present-day humanity. The only technique for accelerating the natural trend of social evolution is that of applying spiritual pressure from above, thus augmenting moral insight while enhancing the soul capacity of every mortal to understand and love every other mortal. Mutual understanding and fraternal love are transcendent civilizers and mighty factors in the world-wide realization of the brotherhood of man.

52:6.8 (598.3) If you could be transplanted from your backward and confused world to some normal planet now in the postbestowal Son age, you would think you had been translated to the heaven of your traditions. You would hardly believe that you were observing the normal evolutionary workings of a mortal sphere of human habitation. These worlds are in the spiritual circuits of their realm, and they enjoy all the advantages of the universe broadcasts and the reflectivity services of the superuniverse.

And later in the same Paper:

52:7.12 (600.1) This is the same renovated earth, the advanced planetary stage, that the olden seer envisioned when he wrote: “‘For, as the new heavens and the new earth, which I will make, shall remain before me, so shall you and your children survive; and it shall come to pass that from one new moon to another and from one Sabbath to another all flesh shall come to worship before me,’ says the Lord.”

52:7.13 (600.2) It is the mortals of such an age who are described as “a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, an exalted people; and you shall show forth the praises of Him who has called you out of darkness into this marvelous light.” *

52:7.14 (600.3) No matter what the special natural history of an individual planet may be, no difference whether a realm has been wholly loyal, tainted with evil, or cursed by sin — no matter what the antecedents may be — sooner or later the grace of God and the ministry of angels will usher in the day of the advent of the Trinity Teacher Sons; and their departure, following their final mission, will inaugurate this superb era of light and life.

52:7.15 (600.4) All the worlds of Satania can join in the hope of the one who wrote: “Nevertheless we, according to His promise, look for a new heaven and a new earth, wherein dwells righteousness. Wherefore, beloved, seeing that you look for such things, be diligent that you may be found by Him in peace, without spot and blameless.” *

:idea: :!: :biggrin: 8)

PostPosted:  
Site Admin

Hello theservant,

Welcome to The Urantia Book, which doesn't address every question we might come up with, but does contain all we need to know in order to live a fulfilling, productive spiritual life. There are a lot of good books out there, Autobiography of a Yogi being one of them. Eastern religions are full of stories of gurus and saints and avitars who say and do wondrous things -- maybe they're true, maybe they're not. For example, Baird Spalding's series Life and Teachings of the Masters of the Far East are fascinating books but apparently were flights of imagination rather than based in any fact.

As we know, there are thousands of religions on this planet -- each of them speak to their adherents in beneficial ways else they wouldn't have any followers. The best advice for any seeker is to trust Jesus -- he lived an exemplary life and taught us what we need to know about our relationship with our Father in heaven and with our fellow human beings. And for students of The Urantia Book we have at our fingertips the answers to life's most meaningful questions and a lifelong guide for helping us make sense of the world around us.

Best wishes,
Larry

PostPosted:  

Agon D. Onter, fanofVan, lwatkins:

Wow. I am so very touched and thankful for all of your honest and meaningful replies. I was not expecting such quick responses, let alone sincere replies. I have skimmed through the responses and am very grateful and impressed. I will be able to read through them in much greater depth tomorrow evening. I am looking ever so forward to learning with you all. Thanks again.

theservant

PostPosted:  

I look forward to that!!

For those who might wish to know more about the Science of Mind and the related Centers for Spiritual Living for some comparative analysis with theservant: http://csl.org/about-us

From the website:

Based in Golden, Colorado, Centers for Spiritual Living™ is a global community comprised of more than 400 spiritual communities, teaching chapters, study groups and other ministries in 30 countries. These communities teach a New Thought philosophy that brings religion and science together and offers spiritual tools to transform personal lives and help make the world a better place. This is done through the study and practice of Science of Mind® and Spirit, also known as Religious Science®, which holds that all life is sacred—that each human being is an expression of God. We believe in Cause and Effect and teach that “it is done unto you as you believe.” In essence, our thinking and expectations create our reality. Our teachings incorporate the ancient wisdom of spiritual traditions through the ages. People of all spiritual paths — Christian, Jewish, Buddhist, Hindu, Muslim, and others — are welcome in our communities. We help people experience a personal relationship with the creator; promote a community of tolerance, understanding and respect; provide classes, programs, prayer and meditation; and advocate a safe spiritual community of like-minded people interested in living a spiritual life.

Me here: So far and initially only, I see lots of positive comparisons. theservant and others may also wish to visit the 1God site for additional comparison and contrast: http://1god.com/

I find these evidence of the success of the Spirit of Truth in personalizing the inner/religious life at the expense of formal, institutional, dogmatic or charismatic groups offering primitive forms of fixed theology, creeds, doctrines, etc.

Of course, the UB is still to me the most illuminating of all texts on the matter. Peace.

:wink: 8)

PostPosted:  

Thank you for the brief outline of Science Of Mind.

I believe that the Ubook does 'hint' at this kind of thing, especially in those sections quoted (and around papers 52 - 56)

In describing the reality of the "Spheres Of Light And Life" and how they would seem like "heaven" to us Urantians,
there is an implication that the individual on these spheres is better able to discern "spiritual truths" and perhaps better understand the relationship between deity and the ascending mortal.
Not everybody 'dies' on those spheres but rather folks 'translated' to the next realm in the moronity temple for example

The Ubook stops short of saying that we are 'manifesting' our thoughts and beliefs,
but it would not be a big stretch to say that something like this is implied on those more evolved spheres.

Although I've been reading the Urania book for many years, I don't think I've seen that quote from Jesus found in the Gospel of Luke that says "as a man thinketh, so is he" but that kind of idea is certainly not incompatible with the Urania book since it emphasizes faith, courage, and a kind of 'mindfulness' associated with the Indwelling Thought Adjuster

PostPosted:  
Site Admin

Hi --

The quote is found in Paper 131, The World's Religion section on Judaism:

131:2.8 “ Yahweh is the God of my salvation; therefore in the divine name will I put my trust. I will trust in the Lord with all my heart; I will lean not upon my own understanding. In all my ways I will acknowledge him, and he shall direct my paths. The Lord is faithful; he keeps his word with those who serve him; the just shall live by his faith. If you do not well, it is because sin lies at the door; men reap the evil they plough and the sin they sow. Fret not yourself because of evildoers. If you regard iniquity in your heart, the Lord will not hear you; if you sin against God, you also wrong your own soul. God will bring every man's work to judgment with every secret thing, whether it be good or evil. As a man thinks in his heart, so is he.

PostPosted:  

The next quote is also appropriate to the discussion:

131:2.9 (1445.3) “The Lord is near all who call upon him in sincerity and in truth. Weeping may endure for a night, but joy comes in the morning. A merry heart does good like a medicine. No good thing will God withhold from those who walk uprightly. Fear God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole duty of man. Thus says the Lord who created the heavens and who formed the earth: ‘There is no God beside me, a just God and a savior. Look to me and be saved, all the ends of the earth. If you seek me, you shall find me if you search for me with all your heart.’ The meek shall inherit the earth and shall delight themselves in the abundance of peace. Whoever sows iniquity shall reap calamity; they who sow the wind shall reap the whirlwind.

This illustrates, to me, the reality that we do choose/create our reality by our very motives which determine our situational intentions which delivers our priorities in life which then drives the actual choices and behaviors - each of which has a subsequent effect and collectively which aggregates into personal reality - either for the better or for the worse.

Again, we see the importance of transferring the seat of our identity from the material to the spiritual and it is this very process that, over time, purifies the mind/heart related to motive and intent. Still takes error and time to deliver wisdom but God sees the heart first we are told.

So I do agree that in essence we do create our life and our world by the perspective which delivers motivation. We are taught that the world (the all) is reflective of the parts (the each). The more people who become right-motivated, by faith and love and service, the more quickly will the world's woes be solved. This cannot be imposed from the top down but must percolate from the bottom up. We may each take charge of our own life and perspective and philosophy of living and motives and intentions for our personal spiritization in just one life...the planet will take longer....as long as until most of us have spiritized our natures and matured our view and found love within for God and all others.

I also believe there is the ability to hope and "pray" (not true prayer as the UB teaches of course) and meditate your way to wealth and material success. The problem is that is pointless and counterproductive to the actual potentials within such will power and focus of attention. Happiness will elude all who seek material solutions to their inner longings and power of mind to create our life as we choose it to be. Far too many simply manage to deal with material reality and confusion and uncertainty by indulging in material comforts, distractions, and escapes.

Indeed....we reap what we sow. We are the result of prior choices. We will become the result of future choices. Choose well!!

:wink: 8)

PostPosted:  

Oh thank you, I knew that was in there somewhere.

I am hoping to completely re-read Part IV soon, as I think that this part of the book (the life of Jesus) really brings the message to the daily living of the individual ascending mortal.

There is plenty of good stuff in Part III as well, but the first half or so of Part III tends to bog-down for me.

I can't believe its been like 10 years since I last visited

-paul

lwatkins wrote:
Hi --

The quote is found in Paper 131, The World's Religion section on Judaism:

131:2.8 “ ....<snip>God will bring every man's work to judgment with every secret thing, whether it be good or evil. As a man thinks in his heart, so is he.

PostPosted:  

Hello theservant! And thanks for bringing these books to our attention.

I've read "Autobiography of a Yogi" a long time ago and do remember the intense beauty of certain passages that really activated the spritual/morontia imagination. Indian mystics generally seem to be a blend of wishful thinkers who revel in creating and keeping alive traditions and lore that flies in the face of the mundane, and an impetus of genuine sincerity to live a spiritually directed life. They create a very intriguing life style and approach to living that can be extremely admirable at times.

I feel that the book "Living with Kundalini" by Gopi Krishna is a crucially important book for this planet. As a result of the spontaneous energy eruption that profoundly changed his life, and his generally modern and scientifically trained mind, Gopi Krishna entirely reinterpreted the meaning and paradigm of Indian cosmology. His is truly a worthy 20th century enhancement to understanding and dealing with super-material occurrences in our lives.