Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:08 am +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted:  

I would like to share an essay that is available elsewhere on the internet, and allow it to spur discussion about TUB concepts related to faith and cultivation of the mind. Below is an excerpt from a longer essay by Michael Hanian.

Quote:
When two people try to tell each other something, they come closer, so that they could hear better and wouldn’t have to shout. So what happened was this: My newly-born faith, my precious baby, was all happy and joyful; so happy and so joyful that for some time it did not notice my mind, which was left in the dark, all by itself. The mind could feel the presence of light, somewhere in the end of the tunnel, but the description of that light was too vague to make an impression. And, it was about the language, too: My faith hadn’t yet mastered the language of communication with the mind. It hadn’t found the right words yet. Its magical brush wasn’t there yet to paint and portray the wonders of the spiritual joy in full color. My wondering and anxious self was right in-between, torn by sudden dashes of faith on the one hand and down-to-earth reasoning of the mind on the other.

Yet, I had made up my mind that I would turn the faith into the tool. And so my mind began looking for instructions. And, they were forthcoming. A set of instructions was preceded by this title:
A spiritual tool called faith for cultivating one’s mind

Warning: before proceeding, read instructions carefully.

1. Purpose of the tool: to encourage religious living.
2. Operating environment: day-to-day life.
3. Safety precautions:

Handle with care: Faith is both powerful and delicate. When abused, it can lead to “convulsions of fanaticism” [Paper 110:4.5, page 1207:5]
Don’t expose the tool in a hostile environment: do not “cast pearls before swine” [Paper 140:3.18, page 1571:5]
Preserve well: Although there is no ‘best before’ on the package, prolonged inactivity will result in the tool getting rusty. That means, use your faith.

But not a word on how to use it!

Me here, as this is a forum to discuss the Urantia Book, I am also sharing a quote from TUB that I feel is directly relevant to the essay that I am sharing.

110:6.17 (1211.2) The motivation of faith makes experiential the full realization of man’s sonship with God, but action, completion of decisions, is essential to the evolutionary attainment of consciousness of progressive kinship with the cosmic actuality of the Supreme Being. Faith transmutes potentials to actuals in the spiritual world, but potentials become actuals in the finite realms of the Supreme only by and through the realization of choice-experience. But choosing to do the will of God joins spiritual faith to material decisions in personality action and thus supplies a divine and spiritual fulcrum for the more effective functioning of the human and material leverage of God-hunger. Such a wise co-ordination of material and spiritual forces greatly augments both cosmic realization of the Supreme and morontia comprehension of the Paradise Deities.

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted:  

Thank you! Very nice. It reminds me of the transferring the seat of our identity. Back with more later.

:wink: 8)

PostPosted:  

Yes thank you

'' It reminds me of the transferring the seat of our identity. ''

Amen Brothers

As Odd or strange as this may seem . imo Faith is like the characters from the
the Wizard of OZ , Dorothy , the Tin Man , The Scarecrow n The Cowardly Lion ,

Its Not Like the Tin Man wishs IF I Had a Heart , The Scarecrow IF I Had a Brain ;
or The The Cowardly Lion Wants Courage , We All have it already .

Its Just that We need Faith An Belief , because it Already IS an Can Be So .

And like Dorothy IF YOU Have Faith and Believe , well Your there , Your Already
Home. and you dont Need to click your heels together .

And there Is NO Place Like Home .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooM-RGUTe2E

PostPosted:  

Been thinking on this one and would share.....I love how Mr. Hanian shares his discovery that faith is more of a verb than it is a noun. Faith is only belief until it is acted upon - faith is the only thing that can make beliefs real - it is the activation and actualization of belief and hope; it is where value and meaning lie...at the intersections of choice, decision, and act, all made in faith. I also agree that faith acts like a catalyst, creating whole new potentials. It also appears to have an aggregating effect - the more faith exhibited, the more faith increases in something like a feedback loop. I think the value and effectiveness of faith may lie in its purity related to the love content...love of God and love of others.....faith cannot be self centered for its power to be unleashed and utilized....same as love. The two appear very related I think.

Indeed, I would venture to propose that it is the mixture of faith and love which delivers the fruits of the spirit - the very validation of the quality and quantity of faith/love exercised and such fruits lead ever further as a "tool for cultivating mind".

One of the problems presented to the mortal mind in the UB is the fact that we must learn to face and overcome doubts, uncertainties, frustrations, disappointments, and failures. Correction - not "overcome" - but truly relish, anticipate, embrace, feast, and fatten upon these experiences. Adventure cannot exist without uncertainty and the unknown outcome. We are designed and destined for adventure! Such skill and technique of embracing uncertainties by the power of faith helps create a mind/soul which is not troubled by the insertion or self imposition of fear or anxieties as we demonstrate our trust in God and his friendly universe!

How can one do any of these without faith? How can we transfer the seat of our self-identity from the material to the spiritual without faith? This is how faith becomes "a tool for the cultivating mind" - or how the mind becomes the overlord of the brain and which, over time and faith acts, the transfer to soul and the beginning of spirit/morontia mind becoming the overlord of the material mind of the 7 Adjutants.

The following is a gem that has inspired my faith and my choices and my acts since I first read it long, long ago.

181:1.7 (1954.4) Jesus gives peace to his fellow doers of the will of God but not on the order of the joys and satisfactions of this material world. Unbelieving materialists and fatalists can hope to enjoy only two kinds of peace and soul comfort: Either they must be stoics, with steadfast resolution determined to face the inevitable and to endure the worst; or they must be optimists, ever indulging that hope which springs eternal in the human breast, vainly longing for a peace which never really comes.

181:1.8 (1954.5) A certain amount of both stoicism and optimism are serviceable in living a life on earth, but neither has aught to do with that superb peace which the Son of God bestows upon his brethren in the flesh. The peace which Michael gives his children on earth is that very peace which filled his own soul when he himself lived the mortal life in the flesh and on this very world. The peace of Jesus is the joy and satisfaction of a God-knowing individual who has achieved the triumph of learning fully how to do the will of God while living the mortal life in the flesh. The peace of Jesus’ mind was founded on an absolute human faith in the actuality of the divine Father’s wise and sympathetic overcare. Jesus had trouble on earth, he has even been falsely called the “man of sorrows,” but in and through all of these experiences he enjoyed the comfort of that confidence which ever empowered him to proceed with his life purpose in the full assurance that he was achieving the Father’s will.

181:1.9 (1954.6) Jesus was determined, persistent, and thoroughly devoted to the accomplishment of his mission, but he was not an unfeeling and calloused stoic; he ever sought for the cheerful aspects of his life experiences, but he was not a blind and self-deceived optimist. The Master knew all that was to befall him, and he was unafraid. After he had bestowed this peace upon each of his followers, he could consistently say, “Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.”

181:1.10 (1955.1)[u] The peace of Jesus is, then, the peace and assurance of a son who fully believes that his career for time and eternity is safely and wholly in the care and keeping of an all-wise, all-loving, and all-powerful spirit Father. And this is, indeed, a peace which passes the understanding of mortal mind, but which can be enjoyed to the full by the believing human heart.

[/u]

8)