Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:22 am +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
PostPosted:  

FanofVan...

You wrote:

Quote:
I resurrected this topic specifically to illustrate the reality that some posters here have both motive and agenda and opinions which are oppositional to the stated purpose and goals of this study group. 10 people have joined in the discussion again already. I wonder why this thread might, now, be locked rather than left alone or moved to the Skeptics Corner or Abner's...and wonder why some other more recent topics are not moved to the Skeptics Corner as well...considering the content of opinions and declarations which contradicts the UB. What are Abner's and the Skeptic's Corner for I wonder?

The Forum rules clearly state, under "Please do not:":

Quote:
5. Use language that is inconsistent with our community standards as a family friendly site, including the use of sarcasm directed at any individual personality, insinuations that call into question another person's motives, swear words or profanity. Ad Hominem attacks are also discouraged, and will - most likely - lead to post deletions, locked threads, and even the removal of posting privileges.

This is why I intend to lock this thread - that, and the fact that the original post is - on the face of it - based on falsehoods and associate The Urantia Book with some fictitious danger for an unsuspecting reader. Of the many thing that The Urantia Book may be to different people, "dangerous" is not one that we want to promote here. This one in particular invites further hashing-out of personal motive, and I find that an unhealthy focus. Allowing others to openly call out individuals and try to determine their motive is in violation of our rules of posting. It invites nothing but a personal free-for-all of accusation and defensiveness. Meanwhile, the wealth of great ideas, topics, and other content of The Urantia Book is lost.

Moving this thread anywhere else will not solve the problem of "motive-seeking." This is not the role of any member here - to be the watchdog for everyone else. In an anonymous forum like this, motive-seeking is in itself, dangerous and diversionary. That is why it is not permitted. Content, ideas, and civility in the process is most important here.

Posting "fables, theories, beliefs, and opinions" is permitted, providing that the content is based on a specific part of the book and references are given as supporting material for one's fables (essays), theories, beliefs, and opinions. From the posting rules: This should be clear to anyone about what is permitted in that regard:

Quote:
We welcome individuals of all faiths to participate on this board and to share their beliefs; however; this discussion board is about The Urantia Book. If - for example - you feel inspired by religion/philosophy/idea "X", it would be advisable that you discuss "X" as it relates to The Urantia Book. As a Urantia Book discussion board it is the place to ask questions, but not the place for promoting or proselytizing one's own personal belief system.

If someone truly has mischief on their mind, this can be discerned by others. With certain exceptions, I have not seen blatant mischief - but then, I don't seek it out. If someone has a post in which they want to discuss their honest doubt or concern over the content of The Urantia Book, please feel free to post in one of the private sections - Abner's or the Skeptic's Corner. If other readers/students want to challenge their IDEAS, all to the good.

A note here on Abner's from the posting rules:

Quote:
Abner's Corner is for discussing sensitive topics found within The Urantia Book. (Which should not be confused with "sensitive topics relating to The Urantia Book". We are interested in "within". We are not really interested in "relating to".) Contact a moderator on Abner's Corner for admittance to the usergroup.

Addressing the doubter should inspire any devoted student of the revelation to hone their communication skills in responding with civility, kindness and clarity. And then, let others view the discussion and make up their own mind as to the rightness or wrongness of the IDEAS presented - not the rightness or wrongness of the PERSON who posted.

For my part - I will be more diligent in discerning which posts warrant a different category. But this one will be locked by the end of this day - not moved.

To All:

There are alternatives for Urantia Book online study forums; here are the rules for this one: https://truthbook.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3582

if you find this one not to your liking, please find one that suits you better.

MaryJo

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted:  

I stand corrected. Thank you for your service and guidance.

8) :idea: :!: :wink:

PostPosted:  

MaryJo,
I am still confused about the rule regarding motives. You say above,
"Moving this thread anywhere else will not solve the problem of "motive-seeking." This is not the role of any member here - to be the watchdog for everyone else. In an anonymous forum like this, motive-seeking is in itself, dangerous and diversionary. That is why it is not permitted."

But then you say, a couple of sentences later,
"If someone truly has mischief on their mind, this can be discerned by others."

Wouldn't it require one to consider the motive of someone who "truly has mischief on their mind" in order to "discern" such is the case?

I will just say that discerning motives is a necessary part of exercising wisdom and in communicating authentically as a study group; and it's a shame that it is being ruled unpermissable here.

PostPosted:  

Agon...thanks for asking for clarity on this point.

Yes, we all are capable of looking for and discerning motives - and we need to do that, especially in light of the Master's injunction to be wise as serpents. But we are also mandated to be harmless as doves.

We are all free to form whatever opinion we like of another - we can evaluate their motivation for ourselves. What is not permitted is to presume that YOUR opinion of someone's motive is the correct one for everyone. Instead, we want to address what the person is saying, and address the idea.

Again, if someone truly has a sinister motive here, it will likely become clear over time; in fact engaging another on the strength of ideas alone will illuminate any nonsense pretty quickly, I would hope. But calling them out and acting accusatory only inspires someone - anyone, really - to dig in their heels and become defensive, while their actual ideas go unchallenged.

Does this make better sense?

PostPosted:  

Yes. Thank you.

PostPosted:  

Thanks for the clarifications on the rules. I appreciate it and apologize.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8