Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:07 am +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 246 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Will Of God
PostPosted:  

Rexford wrote:
I also thought nod had misunderstood you to mean park the barcalounger in Margaritaville. If I hadn't been out with the family, I would have posted in your defense.

160:3.4 My philosophy tells me that there are times when I must fight, if need be, for the defense of my concept of righteousness, but I doubt not that the Master, with a more mature type of personality, would easily and gracefully gain an equal victory by his superior and winsome technique of tact and tolerance. All too often, when we battle for the right, it turns out that both the victor and the vanquished have sustained defeat. I heard the Master say only yesterday that the “wise man, when seeking entrance through the locked door, would not destroy the door but rather would seek for the key wherewith to unlock it.” Too often we engage in a fight merely to convince ourselves that we are not afraid.

Bradly is in need of no defense, he is a big boy. Defend the truth instead. In defending truth there is no defeat. The fight you are waging will not make you less fearful. Stealthy is the hunter that slays his own fright.

MannyC wrote:
Rexford wrote:
Why people cannot disagree without bringing out the heavy artillery is beyond me

Rexford wrote:
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man.

Why do you feel that you need to come to Bradly's defense? Is it because we are armed with heavy artillery or because we are unarmed?

Which is it?

And with which weapon of defense will you be armed with, Rexford?

Why do you not lay down your sword already? Do not bring a battering ram when you have a key to the door. The key is within you.

It is The Will of God that we make use of the key to the Kingdom.

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted:  

(118:10.9) [T]he apparent cruelty of a perverse fate that heaps tribulation upon some suffering mortal may in reality be the tempering fire that is transmuting the soft iron of immature personality into the tempered steel of real character.

Fear of trouble is misplaced. There's a transcendence which is inverse to what's apparently logical. Jesus showed how there's great power in this truth. It's how he wrote a book to "read" by the manner of his death which tells a story beyond words. However, in his book, they're still the "words" of God's will.

PostPosted:  

Greetings,

Last night I was reading The Christian World, a Global History, by Martin Marty, and was reminded of the power of martyrdom in spreading Christianity. There is something about willingness to give up one's life for a cause that stirs up something deep within us. I often wonder if those early martyrs would have been so zealous if Jesus had not died the way he did. Many must have seen him as a martyr doing the will of God. How many martyrs believe they are doing the will of God? How many actually are?

Regards,
Rexford

PostPosted:  

Rexford wrote:
How many martyrs believe they are doing the will of God? How many actually are?

Those are great questions Rexford. We'll never know. I'm certain however, that Jesus' death was quite different and its spiritual power is going to resonate forever, here and throughout all Nebadon, and beyond.

PostPosted:  

171:4.2 Early on Thursday morning before the others were awake, Jesus called Andrew and said: “Awaken your brethren! I have something to say to them.” Jesus knew about the swords and which of his apostles had received and were wearing these weapons, but he never disclosed to them that he knew such things. When Andrew had aroused his associates, and they had assembled off by themselves, Jesus said: “My children, you have been with me a long while, and I have taught you much that is needful for this time, but I would now warn you not to put your trust in the uncertainties of the flesh nor in the frailties of man's defense against the trials and testing which lie ahead of us. I have called you apart here by yourselves that I may once more plainly tell you that we are going up to Jerusalem, where you know the Son of Man has already been condemned to death. Again am I telling you that the Son of Man will be delivered into the hands of the chief priests and the religious rulers; that they will condemn him and then deliver him into the hands of the gentiles. And so will they mock the Son of Man, even spit upon him and scourge him, and they will deliver him up to death. And when they kill the Son of Man, be not dismayed, for I declare that on the third day he shall rise. Take heed to yourselves and remember that I have forewarned you.”

But the Apostles were dismayed. Jesus did not lay down his life, for he is eternal. He showed that we are not bodies alone and we, therefore, do not live by bread alone. When we are asked to lose our life in order to save it, we do not die. There is a rebirth in the resurrection. We lose that which is not of the spirit and save that which is of the spirit.

195:10.8 Ecclesiasticism is at once and forever incompatible with that living faith, growing spirit, and firsthand experience of the faith-comrades of Jesus in the brotherhood of man in the spiritual association of the kingdom of heaven. The praiseworthy desire to preserve traditions of past achievement often leads to the defense of outgrown systems of worship. The well-meant desire to foster ancient thought systems effectually prevents the sponsoring of new and adequate means and methods designed to satisfy the spiritual longings of the expanding and advancing minds of modern men. Likewise, the Christian churches of the twentieth century stand as great, but wholly unconscious, obstacles to the immediate advance of the real gospel—the teachings of Jesus of Nazareth.

The materially minded hold on to material things. The body being one of them. Had Jesus held on to his body, the Spirit of Truth would not have a way to be poured out. The ego is material because it holds on to material things.

178:1.14 You are not to be passive mystics or colorless ascetics; you should not become dreamers and drifters, supinely trusting in a fictitious Providence to provide even the necessities of life. You are indeed to be gentle in your dealings with erring mortals, patient in your intercourse with ignorant men, and forbearing under provocation; but you are also to be valiant in defense of righteousness, mighty in the promulgation of truth, and aggressive in the preaching of this gospel of the kingdom, even to the ends of the earth.

The Kingdom is not a material kingdom, it is a spiritual Kingdom because God is Spirit. We are called to be aggressive and valiant in our defense of righteousness and truth yet balanced, gentle, patient and forbearing. It is God's Will that we feast, not on the words about God, but feast on God Himself. Jesus had meat to eat that those around him knew not of.

PostPosted:  

Greetings nod,

I agree. In Paper 188 the author tells us the true meaning of the cross:

The real value of the cross consists in the fact that it was the supreme and final expression of his love, the completed revelation of his mercy.188:5:5

Jesus died for love and he did it with complete forgiveness. Not all forms of martyrdom are expressions of love and forgiveness, but of zealotry. How often are those who claim to be doing God's will merely zealots? True martyrdom is inspiring because it is an act of love. No wonder the zealous martyrs of a certain religion only inspire similar zealots with the same mindset. To truly inspire the souls of all men, there must be something which touches all men, and that would be love. To truly love someone who hates you is one of the most inspiring things a human can do, and Jesus took it even a step further.

The cross makes a supreme appeal to the best in man because it discloses one who was willing to lay down his life in the service of his fellow men. Greater love no man can have than this: that he would be willing to lay down his life for his friends - and Jesus had such a love that he was willing to lay down his life for his enemies, a love greater than any which had hitherto been known on earth. 188:5:7

Regards,
Rexford

PostPosted:  

So perhaps this is the greatest challenge of our time. How to give to these zealots, and even ordinary sincere seekers, something to get excited about? Something to "die" for, if so inclined.

How to bring the words of a book to their attention, supplant what they already believe in with the greatest human knowledge available *The Life and Teachings of Jesus* while they're unaware that it's happening, ipso facto?

PostPosted:  

Rexford wrote:
To truly love someone who hates you is one of the most inspiring things a human can do, and Jesus took it even a step further.

I do not think that it is humanly possible to love a brother that hates you, or that you think hates you. Jesus loved all of mankind because he is a twofold personality. He is our brother in Jesus but also our father in Michael. He knows his creation as a Creator Son and can therefore truly know us and truly love us.

As Jesus, he expressed the greatest love of all in dying on the cross. He suffered greatly, so much so that even his enemies were moved. But Jesus did not sacrifice anything. Love is never a sacrifice. We are not asked to sacrifice anything, we are asked to love our brother, but we must first know our brother. What Jesus did is indeed inspiring but we cannot take what Jesus did so much as an example because we are not fathers to our brothers.

Rexford wrote:
The cross makes a supreme appeal to the best in man because it discloses one who was willing to lay down his life in the service of his fellow men. Greater love no man can have than this: that he would be willing to lay down his life for his friends - and Jesus had such a love that he was willing to lay down his life for his enemies, a love greater than any which had hitherto been known on earth. 188:5:7

There is no greater love than to lay down your life for a friend. But can you say that you love a brother who is your enemy enough to lay down your life for him? Jesus could and Jesus did just that. This made it the supreme appeal to the best in us.

We are given more than one way to love our brothers. One way is to know him. In addition, we can love our God supremely so that we can know Him. Then we can ask our Father who our brother is and He will tell us how lovely he is. It's a twofor.

PostPosted:  

Greetings nod,

You wrote:
nodAmanaV wrote:
How to bring the words of a book to their attention, supplant what they already believe in with the greatest human knowledge available *The Life and Teachings of Jesus* while they're unaware that it's happening, ipso facto?

There is a lot here to comment on and I presently do not have the time. Suffice it to say that it is not necessary to bring the words of a book to their attention. Trying to change beliefs will not work either. I'll try to explain later, but only if you are truly interested in hearing (reading) it. Otherwise, I have a lot of things on my plate right now which beg attention.

Sincerely,
Rexford

PostPosted:  

Of course Rex. Take your time. I'm always interested, especially about this. BTW, I'm several layers high on my plate too today.

Monday Monday.

P.S. Not change, supplant as in displace. Jesus said don't take anything out, put something in.

PostPosted:  

Also Rex, I know what the book says about this. What I'm interested in is something new. New ideas on how to minister the good news properly in the context of current events and technology. Perhaps this is beyond the parameters of this forum. I hope not. Because the book does say "There must come a revival of the actual teachings of Jesus".

If I needed to know about this revival, but didn't know where to find it, how would you find me, so you can show it to me? That's the question.

PostPosted:  

(176:2.3) Jesus said: "And so will my Father continue to manifest his mercy and show forth his love, even to this dark and evil world.[/quote]
fanofVan wrote:
nod says above: "For many years my view was much like Brad's, "no worries dude, we'll all get there". But not any more. Living in accordance to God's will is specific, we are tested here to see if there's a minimum of proper natural response. If there's only a flicker, then one will be faced with a Mt Everest to climb on resurrection morning, a long day after (a dispensation really) than was intended as you have pointed out.

Never have I been more misquoted or misunderstood!! A new low of personal dismissal for you nod.

Please do worry....worry, worry, worry....it seems to bring you so much satisfaction. Worry about what others do and should do instead; worry about what others are not doing that you and Jim think they should be. Worry about whether the universe is really friendly like Jesus claimed or if the Most Highs and Seraphim can actually be trusted with our planetary mortal epochs or whether the TA, Holy Spirit, and Spirit of Truth can be trusted to minister to all minds and successfully bring mortals to Paradise, and, of course, worry about whether Gabriel can be trusted and worry if God's love and mercy is true and just. Worry dude!!

How's that working for you? Does it bring you closer to God? Does it accelerate you through the circles? Does it assist you in your ministry of service and love for others? Does this mind poison deliver up the fruits of the Spirit for you? I keep waiting for you guys to post that text which delivers such doubts, suspicions, paranoia, and dark perspective of reality. The UB is a gift of light and hope and inspiration in its factual presentations and teachings of reality. It takes a certain kind of mind and "talent" to torment and twist it into such despair. I simply don't get it.

Your insinuation is insulting. I must have written a hundred times on a hundred topics after Jim or you or Louis has made the same false claim (including this very topic and thread!): I am not indifferent, uncaring, indolent, self satisfied, smug, disengaged from life and service, selfish, superior, or any other thing that you seem to suggest by such nonsense!

There are two important tadpole steps - survival and fusion. What must one do to survive? I really don't know and make no claims and have never claimed to know how many have the "flicker" sufficient for survival. I do know very clearly what I must do to attain fusion....and believe it or not, I have been eagerly, faithfully, earnestly, and sincerely engaged fully in that pursuit.

It's not my job to worry....about the cut off point or planetary epochal progress, or what others do and don't do or choose or not choose. Evidently, that's YOUR job. Best of luck with that dude. Worry, worry, worry. Doubt, doubt, doubt. How's that working for you again?

Seriously Brother, I hope you grow out of this and learn to trust God and his friendly universe. My personal assurance in my personal destiny and my loving Father is not subject to the opinions of others. Just so you know.

:roll:

133:5.8 (1477.3) There is unity in the cosmic universe if you could only discern its workings in actuality. The real universe is friendly to every child of the eternal God. The real problem is: How can the finite mind of man achieve a logical, true, and corresponding unity of thought? This universe-knowing state of mind can be had only by conceiving that the quantitative fact and the qualitative value have a common causation in the Paradise Father. Such a conception of reality yields a broader insight into the purposeful unity of universe phenomena; it even reveals a spiritual goal of progressive personality achievement. And this is a concept of unity which can sense the unchanging background of a living universe of continually changing impersonal relations and evolving personal relationships.

180:5.8 (1950.3) But the highest realization and the truest interpretation of the golden rule consists in the consciousness of the spirit of the truth of the enduring and living reality of such a divine declaration. The true cosmic meaning of this rule of universal relationship is revealed only in its spiritual realization, in the interpretation of the law of conduct by the spirit of the Son to the spirit of the Father that indwells the soul of mortal man. And when such spirit-led mortals realize the true meaning of this golden rule, they are filled to overflowing with the assurance of citizenship in a friendly universe, and their ideals of spirit reality are satisfied only when they love their fellows as Jesus loved us all, and that is the reality of the realization of the love of God.

:!: :idea: :smile: :wink: 8)

nodAmanaV wrote:
fanofVan wrote:
Never have I been more misquoted or misunderstood!! A new low of personal dismissal for you nod.

Holy chicken crap Brad, what in the world goes on in your head? Why do you react like we're chickens and I just pecked the corn kernel out of your mouth!

I didn't dismiss you, I upheld you. Like you, I would tell people the exact same thing "no worries dude, we'll all get there". I wasn't quoting you! But tell me Brad, did Jesus tell people this, don't worry, do whatever you want, freewill baby, it's a friendly universe, take all the time you want?

NO!

He said - let me demonstrate to you how critical it is to get it right and dismiss those who insist you follow their "by the book" instructions. See, it's so wrong for you to fall under the spell of this error that I'll lay down my life in a horrible way, submit to their determination to silence me and by the process of being murdered publicly, I will write a book that is unfalsifiable. But reading it will still require you to get it.

Try not to peck the wrong way Brad. It's a friendly universe.[quote="nodAmanaV"]

:biggrin: nod - thanks for the well deserved rebuke....I truly over-reacted and there was no call for it - you merely misunderstand my position on the topic which could have easily been corrected by me without so much emotion. My bad.

So little tact and poise in the face of frustration demonstrated by me.

Good Grief! - for those unfamiliar with the source and meaning of the phrase, try this link:

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=go ... &FORM=IGRE

My confidence in this universe and its rulers/creators does not signal personal complacency. As you say, there's lots to accomplish and the more done here, the better. I don't advise waiting and thumb twiddling or any form of idleness for myself, other UB students, fellow God believers, or any others.

It's simply not my duty to assess the status of others or tell others what they need to do. So, as we are in agreement as to the importance of truth seeking and spirit response and circle growth while still in the tadpole pond of birth, I still don't know what to do about all the other tadpoles either. I think the UB teaches that it is my own circle progress to remain focused upon while sharing my hope and faith with others in my daily walk while walking in joy and with peace of mind with complete confidence in our paternal Creator(s) and the friendly universe. I care. I share. I hope. I pray.

I wonder what else others might suggest regarding those tadpoles with but a flicker and those ones without even that? Thanks nod for both the head slap (well deserved) and the forgiveness I am certain you have extended. I thought it appropriate to post my whole reaction and your rebuke. Namaste

:( 8) :wink: :biggrin:

PostPosted:  

fanofVan wrote:
Good Grief! - for those unfamiliar with the source and meaning of the phrase, try this link:

GOOD GREIF! How could I have forgotten this one!? "Charlie Brown" was my un-welcomed nickname when I was a newly minted and disoriented new kid in school. I was the only "Spick" on the block. It was the best of times, it was was the worst of times. A real tale of two cities, Havana and Miami.

Thanks Bradly for taking me back 50 years to my innocents days.

PostPosted:  

Greetings nod,

Originally you wrote the following which I was prepared to address:

nodAmanaV wrote:
So perhaps this is the greatest challenge of our time. How to give to these zealots, and even ordinary sincere seekers, something to get excited about? Something to "die" for, if so inclined.

Then you wrote this which has nothing to do with what I had to offer:

nodAmanaV wrote:
Also Rex, I know what the book says about this. What I'm interested in is something new. New ideas on how to minister the good news properly in the context of current events and technology. Perhaps this is beyond the parameters of this forum. I hope not. Because the book does say "There must come a revival of the actual teachings of Jesus".

If I needed to know about this revival, but didn't know where to find it, how would you find me, so you can show it to me? That's the question.

If you are looking for new revelation, then may I suggest seeking it on one of those forums with first circle destiny reservists? If you are looking for a church-like revival with interest in recruiting new converts, then perhaps Robert's group would do?

Regards,
Rexford

PostPosted:  

I'm wondering how the hungry can get the food we are privileged to be eating. I just want to share some of it with them. Got any ideas?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 246 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next