Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:17 pm +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted:  

The height of Jesus in the Shroud of Turin is the same height as the space that was cut out for him in the Garden Tomb. Can this be just a coincidence?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=En52t7zhjcY

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted:  

I am 6 ft. tall. I wonder, coincidentally, how many other people are too?

:roll:

PostPosted:  

It was uncommon for Palestinian Jews of that time to be almost six feet tall.

PostPosted:  

Once again Yoder you demonstrate how much more valuable it might be if you just read the book!!!!! The tomb used was not for Jesus nor prepared for Jesus. But then you care little enough about that which is clearly written. And what has 6' to do with anything? And no, it was not unusual in the least anyway. It might be more profitable and enlightening to become more of a truthseeker and less of a random, irrelevant knowledge/belief seeker. Whatever. Peace unto you our tail chasing friend.

(2012.2) 188:0.2 The rulers of the Jews had planned to have Jesus’ body thrown in the open burial pits of Gehenna, south of the city; it was the custom thus to dispose of the victims of crucifixion. If this plan had been followed, the body of the Master would have been exposed to the wild beasts.

(2012.3) 188:0.3 In the meantime, Joseph of Arimathea, accompanied by Nicodemus, had gone to Pilate and asked that the body of Jesus be turned over to them for proper burial. It was not uncommon for friends of crucified persons to offer bribes to the Roman authorities for the privilege of gaining possession of such bodies. Joseph went before Pilate with a large sum of money, in case it became necessary to pay for permission to remove Jesus’ body to a private burial tomb. But Pilate would not take money for this. When he heard the request, he quickly signed the order which authorized Joseph to proceed to Golgotha and take immediate and full possession of the Master’s body. In the meantime, the sandstorm having considerably abated, a group of Jews representing the Sanhedrin had gone out to Golgotha for the purpose of making sure that Jesus’ body accompanied those of the brigands to the open public burial pits.

1. The Burial of Jesus

(2012.4) 188:1.1 When Joseph and Nicodemus arrived at Golgotha, they found the soldiers taking Jesus down from the cross and the representatives of the Sanhedrin standing by to see that none of Jesus’ followers prevented his body from going to the criminal burial pits. When Joseph presented Pilate’s order for the Master’s body to the centurion, the Jews raised a tumult and clamored for its possession. In their raving they sought violently to take possession of the body, and when they did this, the centurion ordered four of his soldiers to his side, and with drawn swords they stood astride the Master’s body as it lay there on the ground. The centurion ordered the other soldiers to leave the two thieves while they drove back this angry mob of infuriated Jews. When order had been restored, the centurion read the permit from Pilate to the Jews and, stepping aside, said to Joseph: “This body is yours to do with as you see fit. I and my soldiers will stand by to see that no man interferes.”

(2013.1) 188:1.2 A crucified person could not be buried in a Jewish cemetery; there was a strict law against such a procedure. Joseph and Nicodemus knew this law, and on the way out to Golgotha they had decided to bury Jesus in Joseph’s new family tomb, hewn out of solid rock, located a short distance north of Golgotha and across the road leading to Samaria. No one had ever lain in this tomb, and they thought it appropriate that the Master should rest there. Joseph really believed that Jesus would rise from the dead, but Nicodemus was very doubtful. These former members of the Sanhedrin had kept their faith in Jesus more or less of a secret, although their fellow Sanhedrists had long suspected them, even before they withdrew from the council. From now on they were the most outspoken disciples of Jesus in all Jerusalem.

PostPosted:  

Did you watch the video? In the Garden Tomb, there are two grooves made, each for keeping a dead body. The smaller one would have been for Joseph of Arimathea, the owner of the tomb. The longer one would have been for a man almost six feet tall, the same height of the man in the Shroud of Turin. There would have been enough time during Jesus' arrest, trial, and crucifixion to cut out this new space for Jesus in the tomb.

I am not the only reader of the Urantia Book who has an interest in the Shroud:
http://www.ubthenews.com/topics/ShroudTurin.htm

I am not the only reader of the Urantia Book who has an interest in the Garden Tomb:
http://www.urantiabook.org/photo-galler ... large.html

Maybe you can open your mind to learning a thing or two from someone else before making irrelevant posts in knee-jerk reaction. Please stop responding to my posts without using critical thinking first. It would be sincerely appreciated.

PostPosted:  

Yoder said: "... There would have been enough time during Jesus' arrest, trial, and crucifixion to cut out this new space for Jesus in the tomb."

Interesting conjecture....again, only if one ignores or dismisses the clear text already provided:

"...and on the way out to Golgotha they had decided to bury Jesus in Joseph’s new family tomb..."

They never left the body and did not prepare the tomb Yoder. Again we read:

"(2013.3) 188:1.4 They carried the body into the tomb, a chamber about ten feet square, where they hurriedly prepared it for burial....."

The fascination with trivia seems to be quite an obsession for some. Since Jesus took such pains to leave no "relics" for such obsession and also taught all such to be error and irrelevant, one must wonder Yoder as to the meaning, value, or benefit even if this falsehood were true? What does it matter? Are we chasing the Holy Grail as the primitive Christians did? What magic would it hold? Are stone and metal and cloth sacred?

Be obsessed by what you will. But do not be surprised nor offended when your conjectures and pronouncements which are clearly contradicted by the truthbook are corrected by text here AT Truthbook. Again, I advise you and all to actually read the Book to know what it says or at least ask, as student, what it says if you don't know. You may enjoy chasing your tail and the fantasies and falsehoods so readily available Yoder....just don't expect too much patience here for such malarkey.

PostPosted:  

We're told, are we not?, that seeing Jesus was equivalent to seeing God. If his image were to be impressed on a physical object that contained even some minute traces with true fidelity to his actual appearance, would it in some way be representative of God?

Or would it have some spiritual value? As I've said before, I find the image on the shroud strangely compelling. It's certainly most unusual. I'm satisfied to leave it at that. If you love The Master then, as a maturing person, a true image of him means infinitely more than a trinket. Won't any normal person want a photograph of a person they love deeply who has passed away? In some ways it brings concreteness and connections back into your mind and can trigger morontial experience.

PostPosted:  

No, it would not be representative of God. It would be representative of a mortal man. A man, in this case, who saw no truth or value in such relic worship. I think His Spirit of Truth which is living and present and the Father's eternal presence within mind has true value and meaning. Shall we continue then to make God in the image of man? Dear Lord and good grief.

PostPosted:  

I do not worship the Shroud of Turin, but I do regard it as an important historical artifact that helps to substantiate what the Bible and the Urantia Book say about Jesus. Finding the real tomb of Jesus as well provides historical evidence, since it is indeed an empty tomb. The location and the specific details within and outside the tomb follow how the Bible and the Urantia Book describe it. If you are somehow against having an interest in the Shroud, I would suggest contacting UBTheNews about their report.

PostPosted:  

We're not talking about relics and neither worship. At least I'm not. :smile: That every person imbues their body with something uniquely their own is substantiated by TUB I believe. In some sense God imbues all of creation with something of himself, doesn't he? The problem is that what that is appears to be so diluted or so refined that we cannot see it (without strong assistance from the TA).

Certainly Michael would have strongly imbued his body with something of himself, even something identifiably supernatural. His image COULD be used for the purposes of stimulating both morontial and spiritual vision. That it could be used for lower grade reasons is a practical consideration, not a spiritual one.

PostPosted:  

I am not against my interest, your interest, or anyone's interest in historical artifacts Yoder....I love history and archeology too. I simply oppose claims that are clearly in direct conflict with the truthbook here at truthbook. The decision to use Joseph's brand new tomb was spontaneous, on the way to claim the body, which was immediately taken to and placed in the tomb and wrapped and scented and placed within an hour or so of His death. And your inference that somehow Joseph knew of Jesus outcome early Friday morning prior to His trial that same morning when the Romans, the Sanhedrin, and the believers did not is another lapse in logic. Find your verifications elsewhere, for they are not in the UB.

From UBthenews: "Even though scientific investigation of The Shroud of Turin Report, occurring after 1955, provides correlations to statements made in The Urantia Book about what happened to Jesus’ body, these correlations do not significantly add to its credibility; the correlations are not corroborations."

Now there's some objectivity!!

As to the genuineness of the shroud? Who knows? Nothing says it can't be so. But of the essence of Jesus? Again, good grief. But whatever floats your boat or gets you through the night...is all right, it's all right, it's all right with me....as the song goes. But remember the sign seekers and those who need wonders and the one who demanded to see the nail holes in His hand to believe. I doubt Jesus would find much interest in His own shroud, or chalk board, or wine cup, or finger bone. But if that is what strengthens the faith of some, then there is no sin in such error either. Peace.

PostPosted:  

The physical object of course has no special meaning. But an actual image of a person may if it captures personality! Remember that personality has to do with the pattern or arrangement of energies comprising a person and how that person functions. We don't need to think in such small ways! The revelators have been attempting to stretch our thinking and conception of the cosmos. No need to trivialize...

Remember also that Mary Magdelene recognized the Master's voice immediately on hearing it after his morontial resurrection. What is it that makes the energy at someone's expressive disposal uniquely theirs? Maybe you need to be a musician or artist to start to understand...

PostPosted:  

How long do you think it would have taken to cut out Jesus' section in Joseph's tomb? If it was hastily done, it may not have taken long at all.

PostPosted:  

Yoder777 wrote:
How long do you think it would have taken to cut out Jesus' section in Joseph's tomb? If it was hastily done, it may not have taken long at all.

Even less time, if they only had to enlarge an existing resting place

PostPosted:  

fanofVan wrote:
I am not against my interest, your interest, or anyone's interest in historical artifacts Yoder....I love history and archeology too. I simply oppose claims that are clearly in direct conflict with the truthbook here at truthbook. The decision to use Joseph's brand new tomb was spontaneous, on the way to claim the body, which was immediately taken to and placed in the tomb and wrapped and scented and placed within an hour or so of His death. And your inference that somehow Joseph knew of Jesus outcome early Friday morning prior to His trial that same morning when the Romans, the Sanhedrin, and the believers did not is another lapse in logic. Find your verifications elsewhere, for they are not in the UB.

From UBthenews: "Even though scientific investigation of The Shroud of Turin Report, occurring after 1955, provides correlations to statements made in The Urantia Book about what happened to Jesus’ body, these correlations do not significantly add to its credibility; the correlations are not corroborations."

Now there's some objectivity!!

As to the genuineness of the shroud? Who knows? Nothing says it can't be so. But of the essence of Jesus? Again, good grief. But whatever floats your boat or gets you through the night...is all right, it's all right, it's all right with me....as the song goes. But remember the sign seekers and those who need wonders and the one who demanded to see the nail holes in His hand to believe. I doubt Jesus would find much interest in His own shroud, or chalk board, or wine cup, or finger bone. But if that is what strengthens the faith of some, then there is no sin in such error either. Peace.

Speaking of floating, the body was floating in air when the image was made, and the shroud was held tight away from the body, as recent research reveals. The scientist call the event, a singularity: the creation of a new universe.