Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:13 pm +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted:  

Okay, hear me out. :smile: I love sushi, but I find the process of eating it to be intimidating and uncomfortable. I happen to have a freakishly small jaw, so much so that the orthodontist removed 8 molars just to make room for my adult teeth to come in without looking like a train wreck. As a result, I can barely fit a whole piece of sushi into my mouth and, if I do, there is almost no room for moving my tongue around to chew and swallow. But eating sushi by nibbling around the edges just doesn't work - that's not the experience of enjoying sushi. That's an experience of breaking up the component parts into a completely different meal entirely. It falls apart and makes a big, incoherent mess. Worse, it ends up with the necessity of using a fork!

It strikes me that the Urantia Book is like that. So often, when people find out I believe in TUB, they ask me what it is about. Or they see the 2,000+ pages of it and say, tell me what's in it. I can't! It wouldn't be the soul satisfying feast that is the TUB. You simply cannot nibble here and there. You have to take the whole thing into your mind, heart and soul and let the flavors blend together and fill you completely.

I think that is a big reason why so many people don't read the book. It's intimidating and it is a very real investment to holy wholly consume the teachings found therein.

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted:  

This is so true. Usually my first judgments about books after reading a few pages are dead-on, but I was proven horribly wrong in the case of judging The Urantia Book from just a few pages, or "facts" about it.

There is no part of it that I could've accepted any sooner than when the whole thing came to me. If I had read this book a year or two earlier, it would've been pearls before swine. It's like everything in my life built up to the moment I started to read and think about it. Like the rest of my early life was just endurance training, and now I'm starting to really live. The Urantia Book is in a class of its own.

Superficial critics really are satisfied with giving it only a surface-level reading of maybe a few pages, and then finding some reason to dismiss it completely without full investigation. If they investigated it more fully, they would realize the fact that a sacred text has existed for this long, commands the respect of hundreds of thousands (maybe millions) of people, and has not started a cult, or even inspired a cult leader to come in, grab the reigns, and rule. It's because, I'm convinced, that no cult leader, no matter how bright, could use these teachings to mislead people for very long. Therefore the papers have been ignored as insignificant.

The "rational skeptics" ignore TUB because reading the whole thing to actually offer real, fair criticism of it doesn't seem worth the effort to them, they are so self-assured in their disbelief in God, and their belief in the failures of religion, that they will feel justified simply ignoring it as "another crazy religious text."

Cult leaders won't use it because it's so long and complex that it would take a highly highly intelligent cult leader to actually deceive people with it. Plus, the religion of Jesus is about the individual and God, meaning people can worship everywhere with everyone without having to be centrally organized by a church dictatorship. If I wanted control over others the way cult leaders do, the first thing I would do is make sure that a copy of The Urantia Book never gets near any of those people.

But even theists, not just atheists, are happy to dismiss it as just the incoherent ramblings of just another mystery cult. If only they knew what they were missing.

PostPosted:  

What I did on the suggestion of the one I got it from was to read the Jesus papers first... I did, a paper at a time and then digest that... I would then open a page at random and read that paper which wet my appetite for more... Once I finished learning the life and teaching of Jesus I then started from scratch on my interest... I believe that if I would have started from page one I wouldn't have gotten through the Forward... also by reading Jesus papers first I validated the authenticity of the book in my mind and knew I had something very special...

PostPosted:  

Aloha Tootsie,

That's exactly what I did too.

I was at a point in my Christianity that I knew there was more to the story and wala in come book. I couldn't read the Jesus Papers fast enough and then I cherry picked the rest for a couple of years. Finally I read the whole thing from the beginning. I've got a couple of warn out copies stacked in the closet lol.

It's funny to note that my ideas of what the revelation is is very different now that I've lived life for a while.

PostPosted:  

Great !!! When I left the Catholic Church in search of more... My journey lead me to visiting and learning from all religions East and West... Still had that hunger but when I saw this big blue book quietly sitting on a coffee table at a friends house, alone at night I opened the pages and knew I was home... I was shaking ... lol 42yrs later I now recognize the truth no matter the source...Truth is Truth...
Aloha...

PostPosted:  

Welcome Agon D.Onter / Redtread :smile: The way you expressed the Big Blue Book experience is indeed very very true.
Those of the present world who dismiss the truths of the truthbook are really missing an opportunity of a lifetime!

PostPosted:  

And you know what else?

Although the book is large and the prospect of reading and understanding what it says did seem daunting, I always sensed that the primary message is beautifully simple and easy to comprehend. At its core the central message is that yes life is a precious opportunity. The opportunity to make continual freewill choices to do the right thing, the Father's will, at all times in contradistinction to selecting to do the wrong thing. Both being made exceptionally clear with every thought within and through the self-evident nature of truth. Not to mention there wasn't any enjoyment in sin. Only sorrow and opportunities lost forever.