Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:34 am +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
 Post subject: Re: The Urantia Religion
PostPosted:  

SEla_Kelly wrote:
Joshua was the name revealed to Mary and was found useful and so Urantia is the name revealed to us. Whether it is organised religion or not, it is the name people would describe the beginnings of global fellowship. So make something out of what is revealed it will prove useful.

Please avoid the temptation of trying to make something out of what is revealed. The making of idols is not the Will of God.

What's in a name?

(1965.3) 182:1.9 The Master, during the course of this final prayer with his apostles, alluded to the fact that he had manifested the Father’s name to the world. And that is truly what he did by the revelation of God through his perfected life in the flesh. The Father in heaven had sought to reveal himself to Moses, but he could proceed no further than to cause it to be said, “I AM.” And when pressed for further revelation of himself, it was only disclosed, “I AM that I AM.” But when Jesus had finished his earth life, this name of the Father had been so revealed that the Master, who was the Father incarnate, could truly say:
(1965.4) 182:1.10 I am the bread of life.
(1965.5) 182:1.11 I am the living water.
(1965.6) 182:1.12 I am the light of the world.
(1965.7) 182:1.13 I am the desire of all ages.
(1965. ) 182:1.14 I am the open door to eternal salvation.
(1965.9) 182:1.15 I am the reality of endless life.
(1965.10) 182:1.16 I am the good shepherd.
(1965.11) 182:1.17 I am the pathway of infinite perfection.
(1965.12) 182:1.18 I am the resurrection and the life.
(1965.13) 182:1.19 I am the secret of eternal survival.
(1965.14) 182:1.20 I am the way, the truth, and the life.
(1965.15) 182:1.21 I am the infinite Father of my finite children.
(1965.16) 182:1.22 I am the true vine; you are the branches.
(1965.17) 182:1.23 I am the hope of all who know the living truth.
(1965.18) 182:1.24 I am the living bridge from one world to another.
(1965.19) 182:1.25 I am the living link between time and eternity.
(1965.20) 182:1.26 Thus did Jesus enlarge the living revelation of the name of God to all generations. As divine love reveals the nature of God, eternal truth discloses his name in ever-enlarging proportions.

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted:  

Our world needs a lot of things, but most of all it needs a healthy religion that it can digest. Not a smorgasbord of complex ideas, but simplified truths that uplift and lead toward freedom and eternal life.

I would only suggest that, being the natural-born perfectionists that most of us are, to look at the positive rather than the negative.

Yes lots of things can and will go wrong, with me and the others who are working on this and all those who will come in the future. Mistakes and human beings go hand in hand.

But our Father's children have nothing on the menu for them except for pagan swamps, superstitions, fantasies and grotesque errors. They're like little kids that have to feed off garbage dumps because there's simply nothing else available.

Even if we're not perfect and give them Big Macs, sure it's not the best food in the universe, but it sure beats the garbage dump.

Think about the fact that we've given them nothing to eat.

It's time. The world's gone mad from hunger. Let's produce something healthy, beautiful, and nutritious.

165:2.6 "You who would be the undershepherds of my Father's flocks must not only be worthy leaders, but you must also feed the flock with good food; you are not true shepherds unless you lead your flocks into green pastures and beside still waters."

PostPosted:  

Rsarmast wrote:
Our world needs a lot of things, but most of all it needs a healthy religion that it can digest. Not a smorgasbord of complex ideas, but simplified truths that uplift and lead toward freedom and eternal life.

The world needs for its inhabitants to accept the gift of the Kingdom of God.

Our Father in heaven. Love your Father that you may know Him and know your brother that you may love him. Loving service are the fruits of these actions. This is the Gospel message. What can be more simple and yet so hard to get into our thick heads. The funny thing is that it is already in us. The Kingdom is at hand, the Kingdom keeps company with our mind. Do not ignore your Guest. Practice His presence.

Rsarmast wrote:
Think about the fact that we've given them nothing to eat.

182:1.10 I am the bread of life.

Rsarmast wrote:
It's time. The world's gone mad from hunger. Let's produce something healthy, beautiful, and nutritious.

Why is there hunger at a dinner feast? The table is set, the food is cooked and the company divine. It's perfect. The scene is set for your arrival so that you may take your seat.

Rsarmast wrote:
165:2.6 "You who would be the undershepherds of my Father's flocks must not only be worthy leaders, but you must also feed the flock with good food; you are not true shepherds unless you lead your flocks into green pastures and beside still waters."

Robert, all that is left for us to do is say to our brothers, "follow with me, for I follow One who IS the way, the truth and the life".

PostPosted:  

Let me begin by saying that Robert Sarmast started this conversation and you have guided the conversation well enough.

Rsarmast wrote:

But our Father's children have nothing on the menu for them except for pagan swamps, superstitions, fantasies and grotesque errors. They're like little kids that have to feed off garbage dumps because there's simply nothing else available.

I find this a bit disparaging, and extreme. I take back to the experience Joshua had with Joseph while visiting the Sephoris, after witnessing the athletic Olympiads. Although Joseph forbade Joshua's appreciation for sport, I believe Joshua still saw the benefits in such contests, as far as cultural exchange and fellowship is concerned.

You may as well have written "We have nothing but clay to work with..." I truly agree with you that a few universal symbols and the social condonation of worship would be a good backbone for universal religion upon Urantia. However, we must go further to spiritize and shape the currently existing value according to that which is deemed aught by our father.

You write "feed off garbage", and it was certainly forbidden in Solomon's time to eat carrions. But in the modern world, the conservation and reuse of that which is deemed rubbish is becoming the valuable secondary companion for industrial processes. Carrions may be converted into fertility though not eaten. Clay is not very useful as a growing soil, but it may be shaped into pots.

It is not so much of the fact of garbage, but how we make use of these things. Americans have the tendency to classify garbage as being of one single type, but for science and religion, we look to the classification and potential uses of every possible type. The Urantia Book states that early Mesopotamian cities rose 25 feet every 100 years. Joshua operated the Nazareth caravan repair shop; he would not have been so swift to discard that which has potential use as we may be.

I have witnessed such mentality from the brethren of other cults. It is the idea that Religion can be an escape from the world we live in. The Urantia Papers state that there is no such escape, that our souls are permanently marked by our urantian birth. Really, if you are to help deliver souls out of this world then you must have some compassion. Just the idea that "it is all this" or "it is all that" makes it seem like the total sacrifice of Joshua's 70 Evangelists is demanded upon every individual.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10