Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:00 pm +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Adversity
PostPosted:  

Bradford Keeney, Ph.D. has written a very important book, in my opinion: "Shaking Medicine". I find his take on the meaning of adversity not only fully harmonizes with TUB, but embellishes what the revelators say:

"Sometimes people ask me why their lives have been filled with so much struggle and suffering. I often respond, 'Because you are being cured and seasoned to be a fine offering to life's dinner table.' I remind them of how fruit, vegetables, and meat are cured and how dishes are seasoned to preserve the finest qualities and enhance the taste. I even mention that the concrete used to make sidewalks and highways must be cured in order for it to be strong, enabling travelers to reach their destination. We go on to discuss how the heat and pressure of suffering are necessary to cure and season us. The greater the pressure and heat of our experience, the more likely we are to become a unique and valuable presence in the world, more able to reach our destiny."

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject: Re: Adversity
PostPosted:  

Adversity takes many forms....much of it unnecessary IMO. There is the adversity visited upon the inexperienced and immature who tend, often, to make the same choices for the same "self-serving" reasons who live in a circular nightmare (like the movie Groundhog Day - which movie also gives hope of breaking the cycle) of cause and effect repercussion loop of indefinite time.

Then there are those who do not attempt the transition from the material life to the spirit realities of universe alignment, who may even become quite adept at materialism but never find joy and peace of mind and purpose in their life - their very success becomes its own adversity.

But even those truthseekers who discern the dual nature and accept the challenge of circle progress, will continue to find adversity in its many forms. Life and time are given to learn the nature of cause and effect - and the more that is learned, the more yet there is still to learn. We are tested and given opportunity to learn to eventually accept the thrilling adventure of uncertainty in what is to come, while being certain as to source, purpose and destiny.

102:2.3 (1119.8) It is difficult to identify and analyze the factors of a religious experience, but it is not difficult to observe that such religious practitioners live and carry on as if already in the presence of the Eternal. Believers react to this temporal life as if immortality already were within their grasp. In the lives of such mortals there is a valid originality and a spontaneity of expression that forever segregate them from those of their fellows who have imbibed only the wisdom of the world. Religionists seem to live in effective emancipation from harrying haste and the painful stress of the vicissitudes inherent in the temporal currents of time; they exhibit a stabilization of personality and a tranquillity of character not explained by the laws of physiology, psychology, and sociology.

102:2.8 (1121.1) Again, there are other types of unstable and poorly disciplined souls who would use the sentimental ideas of religion as an avenue of escape from the irritating demands of living. When certain vacillating and timid mortals attempt to escape from the incessant pressure of evolutionary life, religion, as they conceive it, seems to present the nearest refuge, the best avenue of escape. But it is the mission of religion to prepare man for bravely, even heroically, facing the vicissitudes of life. Religion is evolutionary man’s supreme endowment, the one thing which enables him to carry on and “endure as seeing Him who is invisible.” Mysticism, however, is often something of a retreat from life which is embraced by those humans who do not relish the more robust activities of living a religious life in the open arenas of human society and commerce. True religion must act. Conduct will be the result of religion when man actually has it, or rather when religion is permitted truly to possess the man. Never will religion be content with mere thinking or unacting feeling.

Me here: I have found that one distinction between some people are those who blame their situation/circumstance upon others and depend upon others to solve their problems - and there are those who accept responsibility for the outcomes of their choices and are willing and able to change their motives, priorities, and choices to experience better outcomes. And there are those who appear content with their material point of view and its results. And those mentioned above, who seek escape or refuge in belief systems which blame the "devil" for all their ills and consequences and promise instant gratification.

In most regards, adversity takes the form of unintended consequences or outcomes, even when applying our spiritual perspective and sincere efforts to apply good motives and intentions - this is the mother of invention, discernment, and experiential wisdom. It exhibits the faith child's confidence in cosmic citizenship and the outworking of God's will for all creation. I think that only our alignment with God's will brings true relief and eventual release from adversity. I'll let you know once I attain it.....hahahahaha!

8)

PostPosted:  

Greetings,

This reminds me of the hammer and the anvil metaphor where the hammer is suffering. I think there is a huge difference between human suffering and the conflict that arises out of being forced to lived the dual life. The fringe of conflict that we all must pass through, as we learn the difference between living in the flesh and living in the spirit, does not necessarily require suffering. Attempting to live the life of the spirit does bring effort, struggle and conflict, but the conflict is at the level of the material mind as we wean ourselves off the adjutants, while for the soul, the burden is light and the yoke is easy.

Wasn't Jesus' discourse on Job in Paper 148 about the meaning of adversity and the misunderstanding of suffering?

In Friendship,
Rexford

PostPosted:  

Hmm. I tend to think that the fringe of conflict between the life of the flesh and the life of the spirit is necessarily a life of suffering and could not be cast any other way. To live such a life is to live in refusal to accept one or more spiritual realities while clenching on to our pet favorite temporal realities of material life. And since they are fleeting realities, their loss (or perhaps, the loss of a certain understanding of their value) is inevitable. Without the spiritual cushion of committing to be a genuine faith son of God, such loss inevitably results in suffering. It's only when we're totally committed that real suffering ceases.

To put it another way, to live the fringe life, you're likely acting consciously with concepts like moral duty and self-sacrifice. Sacrifice always implies loss, and usually entails suffering. The suffering diminishes when duty becomes service, and self-sacrifice becomes love.

I think, for this human, as stubborn as I am, I have to search the pits of emptiness and grasp for handfuls of sand before I am able to realize the futility of such behaviors. It appears, the way I work, I must suffer from my own mistakes before I can really understand the value of God's way.

PostPosted:  

Greetings quil,

You wrote:
quil wrote:
Hmm. I tend to think that the fringe of conflict between the life of the flesh and the life of the spirit is necessarily a life of suffering and could not be cast any other way.

If what you say is true, then we are all suffering. Everyone of us spends our entire life on this planet traversing the "fringe of conflict". Only those people who live entirely at the level of the flesh or entirely at the level of the spirit experience no conflict (see quote below).

Forewarn all believers regarding the fringe of conflict which must be traversed by all who pass from the life as it is lived in the flesh to the higher life as it is lived in the spirit. To those who live quite wholly within either realm, there is little conflict or confusion, but all are doomed to experience more or less uncertainty during the times of transition between the two levels of living. In entering the kingdom, you cannot escape its responsibilities or avoid its obligations, but remember: The gospel yoke is easy and the burden of truth is light. 159:3:7

quil wrote:
It's only when we're totally committed that real suffering ceases.

I think that only when we are "born of the spirit" do we ceased to be confused by the material nature of the dual life (see quote below).

Those God-knowing men and women who have been born of the Spirit experience no more conflict with their mortal natures than do the inhabitants of the most normal of worlds, planets which have never been tainted with sin nor touched by rebellion. Faith sons work on intellectual levels and live on spiritual planes far above the conflicts produced by unrestrained or unnatural physical desires. The normal urges of animal beings and the natural appetites and impulses of the physical nature are not in conflict with even the highest spiritual attainment except in the minds of ignorant, mistaught, or unfortunately overconscientious persons. 34:7:7

quil wrote:
To put it another way, to live the fringe life, you're likely acting consciously with concepts like moral duty and self-sacrifice. Sacrifice always implies loss, and usually entails suffering. The suffering diminishes when duty becomes service, and self-sacrifice becomes love.

I think that sacrifice is not the most useful word. The only thing we are asked to sacrifice is our self-importance (pride and selfishness). In reality, we are asked to relinquish our self-importance and forget about ourselves. I agree that persistent pride and selfishness will result in conflict until a person completely identifies with this level of evil. I think that is why psychopathic, antisocial criminals are so calmly self-confident; they live entirely within the material realm, dictated by self-pride, self-importance. They do not suffer.

Jesus portrayed conquest by sacrifice, the sacrifice of pride and selfishness. 141:3:8

quil wrote:
I think, for this human, as stubborn as I am, I have to search the pits of emptiness and grasp for handfuls of sand before I am able to realize the futility of such behaviors. It appears, the way I work, I must suffer from my own mistakes before I can really understand the value of God's way.

Some nuts are hard to crack, as they say. Personally, I have discovered that being born of the spirit allows you the thrill of discovering the cause of your defeat, to face it and rise again with gratefulness. None of it is empty though; it is full of excitement because at every crossroad the realization that "-with God nothing, absolutely nothing, is impossible," becomes an inconcussible truth.

That, then, is the primary or elementary course which confronts the faith-tested and much-traveled pilgrims of space. But long before reaching Havona, these ascendant children of time have learned to feast upon uncertainty, to fatten upon disappointment, to enthuse over apparent defeat, to invigorate in the presence of difficulties, to exhibit indomitable courage in the face of immensity, and to exercise unconquerable faith when confronted with the challenge of the inexplicable. Long since, the battle cry of these pilgrims became: "In liaison with God, nothing--absolutely nothing--is impossible." 26:5:3

In Friendship,
Rexford

PostPosted:  

Riktare wrote:
Bradford Keeney, Ph.D. has written a very important book, in my opinion: "Shaking Medicine". I find his take on the meaning of adversity not only fully harmonizes with TUB, but embellishes what the revelators say:

"Sometimes people ask me why their lives have been filled with so much struggle and suffering. I often respond, 'Because you are being cured [...]"

This statement betokens not the teachings of the Urantia Papers, but of A.E. Lee's Eunuchs, the "Shaking Quakers" of Eastern N.Y., N.W. Connecticut. That colony believed that their own shaking was a symptom of "sin leaving the body".

(Opinion)
When the Psyche is transformed through choices that follow personal Revelation, often, there is a change of status for the individual. The Energies/Forces that have once inhabited an individual no longer resonate with the perspective, and such incompatibility allows for the "shedding" of those energies which no longer aide in the progress of the individual path of maturation. Such incompatible forces are like the scaffolding that Joseph of Nazareth fell from, whilst he built Herod's imperial dwellingplace.

PostPosted:  

I agree that suffering is not necessarily a component to adversity in the life of a progressing person. But strenuous excursion and supreme desire to overcome or master or transcend the less meaningful for the more meaning would seem to be critical. At least during certain periods of our lives.

Quote:
110:6.6 (1210.1) Every decision you make either impedes or facilitates the function of the Adjuster; likewise do these very decisions determine your advancement in the circles of human achievement. It is true that the supremacy of a decision, its crisis relationship, has a great deal to do with its circle-making influence; nevertheless, numbers of decisions, frequent repetitions, persistent repetitions, are also essential to the habit-forming certainty of such reactions.

Quote:
108:5.5 (1191.6) The Mystery Monitors are not thought helpers; they are thought adjusters. They labor with the material mind for the purpose of constructing, by adjustment and spiritualization, a new mind for the new worlds and the new name of your future career. Their mission chiefly concerns the future life, not this life. They are called heavenly helpers, not earthly helpers. They are not interested in making the mortal career easy; rather are they concerned in making your life reasonably difficult and rugged, so that decisions will be stimulated and multiplied. The presence of a great Thought Adjuster does not bestow ease of living and freedom from strenuous thinking, but such a divine gift should confer a sublime peace of mind and a superb tranquillity of spirit.

Pressure on the spirit or soul of a person surely results in pressure on the mind of the person. And pressure on the mind of a person surely results in effects on the physical body, even that part which contains the circulating and transforming energies, i.e. what many people today call chi or prana or kundalini. Keeney is essentially saying that the energy system of a progressing and healthy person needs to be activated from time to time in order to purge out stagnant and clogged channels. That is rather consistent with the one-time exuberance of the Shakers and Quakers, but also of many other people on the Earth.

PostPosted:  

Greetings,

I don't know anything about chi, prana or kundalini, but I know that pain makes you stop what you're doing and that can be a good thing. I've always been intrigued by the fact that pain is necessary for evolution (see quote below). It seems that stopping what you're doing, inhibiting your activity, results in change somehow. I guess if pain stops you from doing something stupid like putting your finger in the fire, then wisdom accrues, but how does that affect biology and evolution? It is fascinating.

Anxiety was a natural state of the savage mind. When men and women fall victims to excessive anxiety, they are simply reverting to the natural estate of their far-distant ancestors; and when anxiety becomes actually painful, it inhibits activity and unfailingly institutes evolutionary changes and biologic adaptations. Pain and suffering are essential to progressive evolution. 86:2:1

In Friendship,
Rexford

PostPosted:  

Anxiety was a natural state of the savage mind. When men and women fall victims to excessive anxiety, they are simply reverting to the natural estate of their far-distant ancestors; and when anxiety becomes actually painful, it inhibits activity and unfailingly institutes evolutionary changes and biologic adaptations. Pain and suffering are essential to progressive evolution. 86:2:1

Today we call the above underlined state of mind: depression.

PostPosted:  
Site Admin

Where are we told in TUB that Jesus had to... or that Jesus recommended that...

"...the circulating and transforming energies, i.e. what many people today call chi or prana or kundalini... of a progressing and healthy person needs to be activated from time to time in order to purge out stagnant and clogged channels."?

These and various other meditation techniques are philosophies and archaic religious practices intended to draw a human Godward; they're not promoted by the life and teachings of Jesus nor are they promoted by other teachings of TUB, the revelation we have been given as a true stepping stone toward a meaningful relationship with the heavenly Father.

Larry

PostPosted:  

True Larry, if we were talking about trying to artificially instigate what people call chi, prana or kundalini using techniques from Asia that are somewhat popular today. But that's not what I'm really talking about. I'm assuming that upwardly progressing people already have transforming energy circulating through their systems. I see nowhere in TUB where this is denied. On the contrary, in several places the revelators acknowledge that we are subject to transforming forces and energies. The physical and emotional torment that the Master suffered during the night before his arrest demonstrates that the human Jesus was subject to physical effects. His soul obviously cared about what was soon to happen. No doubt his mind did too and those pressures were not without consequences.

PostPosted:  

Greetings,

We do know that health, sanity and happiness come when we integrate truth, beauty and goodness (2:7:11). We also know that health, mental efficiency, and happiness arise from the unification of our bodies, minds, and spirits (100:4:3). In addition, when the guidance of Spirit of Truth is consciously accepted, he becomes "- a tonic for health, a stimulus for mind, and an unfailing energy for the soul." (194:3:19) Lastly, we know that spirit dominates mind and mind dominates matter (42:12.15).

It seems pretty clear that conscious acceptance of spirit guidance helps us integrate our minds with universe reality levels of truth, beauty and goodness, which contributes to our physical health in a positive way. Personally, I call this being connected to the vine, but some might call it chi, I don't know. Isn't chi a life force? I think the spiritual life force is the secret sauce flowing through the vine. We get ours from the Spirit who lives within us (soul powers); celestials on this planet, like the Material Sons and Daughters, get theirs from the Edentia tree of life along with some sort of light and energy from space emanations. Either way, good health, both physical and mental is dependent a life force derived from Spirit energy.

One thing we know is that our Adjusters are delighted to contribute to our health and happiness (see quote below). I think by cooperating with the Adjuster (staying connected to the vine), we increase the life-giving force from the Spirit which flows through us and gives us mental stability as well as some degree of physical stability (health).

Although the divine indwellers are chiefly concerned with your spiritual preparation for the next stage of the never-ending existence, they are also deeply interested in your temporal welfare and in your real achievements on earth. They are delighted to contribute to your health, happiness, and true prosperity. They are not indifferent to your success in all matters of planetary advancement which are not inimical to your future life of eternal progress. 110:1:3

In Friendship,
Rexford

PostPosted:  
Site Admin

Where do we learn from TUB that Jesus promoted or recommended...

"...conscious acceptance of spirit guidance" that "helps us integrate our minds with universe reality levels of truth, beauty and goodness, which contributes to our physical health in a positive way."?

Again, this is gobbledygook not exemplified by the life and teachings of Jesus nor promoted by teachings of TUB. True spirit guidance is not a conscious activity -- that's where well-meaning seekers are misled to the musty alleyways into spiritualism, mediumship, channeling, and other manifestations of psychic misadventure.

Larry

PostPosted:  

Greetings,

Here are the supporting quotes:

Health, sanity, and happiness are integrations of truth, beauty, and goodness as they are blended in human experience. Such levels of efficient living come about through the unification of energy systems, idea systems, and spirit systems. 2:7:11

I understand this quote to mean that health results from the integration of truth, beauty and goodness which comes about by unifying energy systems (body), idea systems (mind) and spirit systems (soul-Adjuster).

And here it is again in Paper 100:

Health, mental efficiency, and happiness arise from the unification of physical systems, mind systems, and spirit systems. 100:4:3

Again, the quote is informing us that health results from the unification of physical (body) systems, mind systems and spirit (soul-Adjuster) systems. In order to unify body, mind and spirit, we have to begin with the acceptance of spirit guidance because spirit is dominant over mind and mind is dominate over body. Here's the quote to support that idea:

Mind universally dominates matter, even as it is in turn responsive to the ultimate overcontrol of spirit. 42:12.15

Then we're told in the next quote that the Adjuster delights in helping us achieve health and happiness (balanced mind) :

They are delighted to contribute to your health, happiness, and true prosperity. 110:1:3

And finally, the Revelation explains that the Spirit of Truth transforms the mind, contributes to the health (body) and soul energy (Spirit).

The joy of this outpoured spirit, when it is consciously experienced in human life, is a tonic for health, a stimulus for mind, and an unfailing energy for the soul. 194:3:19
He enters the human mind to elevate, transform, and transfigure it.100:7:18

I don't think what the text says is gobbledygook. Perhaps the way I present the text is gobbledygook, I don't know. But it's very clear to me that physical and mental health is tied to spiritual health, and both the Spirit of Truth and the Adjuster are our guides. This doesn't mean that a spiritually advanced individual will not experience illness, that's not what I'm saying. I'm saying that when the entire mind, body and spirit are in balance with universe reality, the individual is at his/her best level of functioning. Jesus was a very healthy man. He was also a very well balanced personality.

Additionally, the Revelation states that the body is a reflection of the character of the personality, which indicates spirit over mind, mind over body, see quote below:

To a certain extent, the appearance of the material body-form is responsive to the character of the personality identity; the physical body does, to a limited degree, reflect something of the inherent nature of the personality. 112:6:3

In fact, our bodies are created by mind ministries: a combination of the cosmic mind and the adjutants as explained in the quote below, which also supports the earlier quote stating that mind universally dominates matter. So, it's no small wonder that the Spirit indwells the mind.

The liaison of the cosmic mind and the ministry of the adjutant mind-spirits evolve a suitable physical tabernacle for the evolving human being. Likewise does the morontia mind individualize the morontia form for all mortal survivors.42:12:11

In Friendship,
Rexford

PostPosted:  

Moreover,

Conscious acceptance of spirit guidance means making conscious decisions capable of being lodged in the soul (supermind) as indicated in the quote below. Clearly unconscious acceptance of spirit guidance would have no value at all. Decisions for God's will must be made consciously.

During the slumber season the Adjuster attempts to achieve only that which the will of the indwelt personality has previously fully approved by the decisions and choosing which were made during times of fully wakeful consciousness, and which have thereby become lodged in the realms of the supermind, the liaison domain of human and divine interrelationship. 110:5.3

In fact, in Paper 110 we are given a list of ways we can consciously augment Adjuster guidance (see below). The first thing on the list we can do is consciously choose to respond to divine leading.

You can consciously augment Adjuster harmony by:
1. Choosing to respond to divine leading; sincerely basing the human life on the highest consciousness of truth, beauty, and goodness, and then co-ordinating these qualities of divinity through wisdom, worship, faith, and love.
2. Loving God and desiring to be like him - genuine recognition of the divine fatherhood and loving worship of the heavenly Parent.
3. Loving man and sincerely desiring to serve him - wholehearted recognition of the brotherhood of man coupled with an intelligent and wise affection for each of your fellow mortals.
4. Joyful acceptance of cosmic citizenship - honest recognition of your progressive obligations to the Supreme Being, awareness of the interdependence of evolutionary man and evolving Deity. This is the birth of cosmic morality and the dawning realization of universal duty.110:3:6-10

In Friendship,
Rexford