Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:06 pm +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Re: Goodness
PostPosted:  

Rexford wrote:
… I'm not certain we can ever possess existential goodness as a personal experience. Existential goodness is something that belongs to the Father, which is why we are incapable of true goodness without him. Perhaps after fusion mortals can share something of the Father's existential goodness, but as far as I can understand it, goodness will always be linked to experience even after attaining finality. I could be wrong, but I think we mortals have to go on to discover transcendental levels of goodness long before coming close to existential goodness. Then there's more to follow, as they say. If existential goodness is a feature of infinity, then like infinity, we never actually reach it or attain it. …

Hi Rexford. Well, at least we may "experience increasing satisfaction in the partial attainment of [existential] goodness": O:)
Quote:
132:2.8 Until you attain Paradise levels, goodness will always be more of a quest than a possession, more of a goal than an experience of attainment. But even as you hunger and thirst for righteousness, you experience increasing satisfaction in the partial attainment of goodness. The presence of goodness and evil in the world is in itself positive proof of the existence and reality of man’s moral will, the personality, which thus identifies these values and is also able to choose between them.

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted:  

Greetings Bart,

That quote is an excellent find. Thanks for posting it.

I think questing, or seeking, is really what it's all about. That's what the soul is born to do. Either you choose to go on an eternal quest or choose to drop out. While the goal is divinity attainment, the quest for it is endless, there is no real end-game because we can never be God, only like him. I can see where some people get weary of that, get tired of trying to get someplace they can never actually reach. Isn't that what Lucifer was having a fit about? The secret, I think, is realizing that living the will of God is the end-game, now or in the future, it's our fuel for the eternal quest, or maybe better, the ship that carries us on the quest.

Sooner or later all universe personalities begin to realize that the final quest of eternity is the endless exploration of infinity, the never-ending voyage of discovery into the absoluteness of the First Source and Center. Sooner or later we all become aware that all creature growth is proportional to Father identification. We arrive at the understanding that living the will of God is the eternal passport to the endless possibility of infinity itself. Mortals will sometime realize that success in the quest of the Infinite is directly proportional to the achievement of Fatherlikeness, and that in this universe age the realities of the Father are revealed within the qualities of divinity. And these qualities of divinity are personally appropriated by universe creatures in the experience of living divinely, and to live divinely means actually to live the will of God. 106:9:11

In Friendship,
Rexford

PostPosted:  

Greetings All,

Another revelation in the Papers that has allured me is the idea that goodness and greatness are related, actually inseparable. I've never wanted to be great, but I've always wanted to be good. Now I find out that I've been wanting greatness all along. But the good news for me is: if true goodness is always unconscious, then true greatness is also unconscious, and so too with Godlikeness. No wonder Jesus asked, "Why do you call me good?" He was not conscious of his own goodness, which I suppose is part of being selfless, or self-forgetful. If goodness is God's then the self is not at the center of it.

The Secret of Greatness and the Soul of Goodness. The ascending pilgrims having awakened to the import of time, the way is prepared for the realization of the solemnity of trust and for the appreciation of the sanctity of service. While these are the moral elements of greatness, there are also secrets of greatness. When the spiritual tests of greatness are applied, the moral elements are not disregarded, but the quality of unselfishness revealed in disinterested labor for the welfare of one's earthly fellows, particularly worthy beings in need and in distress, that is the real measure of planetary greatness. And the manifestation of greatness on a world like Urantia is the exhibition of self-control. The great man is not he who "takes a city" or "overthrows a nation," but rather "he who subdues his own tongue."
Greatness is synonymous with divinity. God is supremely great and good. Greatness and goodness simply cannot be divorced. They are forever made one in God. This truth is literally and strikingly illustrated by the reflective interdependence of the Secret of Greatness and the Soul of Goodness, for neither can function without the other. In reflecting other qualities of divinity, the superuniverse seconaphim can and do act alone, but the reflective estimates of greatness and of goodness appear to be inseparable. Hence, on any world, in any universe, must these reflectors of greatness and of goodness work together, always showing a dual and mutually dependent report of every being upon whom they focalize. Greatness cannot be estimated without knowing the content of goodness, while goodness cannot be portrayed without exhibiting its inherent and divine greatness.
The estimate of greatness varies from sphere to sphere. To be great is to be Godlike. And since the quality of greatness is wholly determined by the content of goodness, it follows that, even in your present human estate, if you can through grace become good, you are thereby becoming great. The more steadfastly you behold, and the more persistently you pursue, the concepts of divine goodness, the more certainly will you grow in greatness, in true magnitude of genuine survival character. 28:6:20-22

But the possession of goodness, greatness, is the measure of real divinity attainment.

In Friendship,
Rexford

PostPosted:  

(171:7.2) Goodness always compels respect, but when it is devoid of grace, it often repels affection. Goodness is universally attractive only when it is gracious. Goodness is effective only when it is attractive.

PostPosted:  

48:7.18 16. You cannot perceive spiritual truth until you feelingly experience it, and many truths are not really felt except in adversity.

Jim George posted the quote above on this thread and I have to attest to the reality of it.

The last couple of years I have been becoming much closer to my "ultra alpha" mother who, in the past, has created somewhat of a gulf between her and her five sons with her demanding ways. It is no accident that in my quest to get closer to my mother and overcome some of my past baggage, God has put me in direct contact with her as her helper during this time period of old age.

As a truck driver I work away from home with little time off. Last year I went on workmans comp with a neck issue from sleeping in a moving vehicle. Just so happens that at the same time mom's 90 year old boyfriend passes away leaving her in a predicament where she has to move out and get her own place to live. At this age (88) she needed a place that has services--since California took her drivers license away--and fighting me tooth and nail (thinking she could get a place at 1960 rental prices) we found the best place in the area.
Long story short, she needed someone and I was called to help and the "universe" made the way for all this (much more not mentioned) to take place.

Just less than a year later and after several visits to the hospital, I get a call from the hospital cardiologist asking for a "do not resuscitate" order, and the day after I get home, on my second day at the hospital, mom gets discharged to hospice.

That afternoon I am being counseled by the hospice adviser as to my options. After a few minutes I am convinced that I should just go on a leave of absence and become her primary caregiver. I signed the paperwork and called work and got the ball rolling.

Now mind you at this point I am convinced that this will be the best thing to do. The hospice adviser told me that they want to be with family during these last days and that convalescent care although professional can be somewhat impersonal.

The next day after they deliver the bed, chair toilet, oxygen machine, meds and supplies, she is brought to me from the hospital via ambulance. This is the moment when I can begin to FEEL that my decision was, for me, my mother, and the rest of our family, the exact Right decision. Prior to this moment I only believed it mentally. During this next week mom was visited by her grandkids who flew in from across the country, her only living brother, her niece's, and three of her son's ex wives (we call it the ex wives club). All this activity and all the love that came with it only reinforces my experience of making what I now feel was the only decision I should have made. One of the few times in my life where I knew I made the absolute right decision.

There is an inexplicable difference between knowing something in your mind and experiencing it in your life.
The truth of that decision did not manifest itself until I felt it and I did not feel it until I experienced it the moment she came home.

I cannot attest to goodness because I don't really know what that is. Jesus's quote about only God being good speaks to who I am. Good I am not and if you knew my thoughts you would agree with this statement.

Time and time again the teachings of the Urantia Book manifest themselves as the living truth. This has been my experience over and over during the course of the last 20 years.

PostPosted:  

Generally considered, adversity isn't something to be cherished or hold dear:

(148:5.5) "But, Nathaniel, there is much in the Scriptures which would have instructed you if you had only read with discernment. Do you not remember that it is written: 'My son, despise not the chastening of the Lord; neither be weary of his correction, for whom the Lord loves he corrects, even as the father corrects the son in whom he takes delight.' 'The Lord does not afflict willingly.' 'Before I was afflicted, I went astray, but now do I keep the law. Affliction was good for me that I might thereby learn the divine statutes.' 'I know your sorrows. The eternal God is your refuge, while underneath are the everlasting arms.' 'The Lord also is a refuge for the oppressed, a haven of rest in times of trouble.' 'The Lord will strengthen him upon the bed of affliction; the Lord will not forget the sick.' 'As a father shows compassion for his children, so is the Lord compassionate to those who fear him. He knows your body; he remembers that you are dust.' 'He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds.' 'He is the hope of the poor, the strength of the needy in his distress, a refuge from the storm, and a shadow from the devastating heat.' 'He gives power to the faint, and to them who have no might he increases strength.' 'A bruised reed shall he not break, and the smoking flax he will not quench.' 'When you pass through the waters of affliction, I will be with you, and when the rivers of adversity overflow you, I will not forsake you.' 'He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and to comfort all who mourn.' 'There is correction in suffering; affliction does not spring forth from the dust.'"

(148:6.2) "My son, you do not comprehend the meaning of adversity or the mission of suffering. Have you not read that masterpiece of Semitic literature—the Scripture story of the afflictions of Job? Do you not recall how this wonderful parable begins with the recital of the material prosperity of the Lord's servant? You well remember that Job was blessed with children, wealth, dignity, position, health, and everything else which men value in this temporal life. According to the time-honored teachings of the children of Abraham such material prosperity was all-sufficient evidence of divine favor. But such material possessions and such temporal prosperity do not indicate God's favor. My Father in heaven loves the poor just as much as the rich; he is no respecter of persons.

(151:0.1) That Saturday night the Master talked for more than an hour to the assembled groups on "The mission of adversity and the spiritual value of disappointment." This was a memorable occasion, and his hearers never forgot the lesson he imparted.

(155:2.2) Peter and the evangelists sojourned in Chorazin for two weeks, preaching the gospel of the kingdom to a small but earnest company of believers. But they were not able to win many new converts. No city of all Galilee yielded so few souls for the kingdom as Chorazin. In accordance with Peter's instructions the twelve evangelists had less to say about healing—things physical—while they preached and taught with increased vigor the spiritual truths of the heavenly kingdom. These two weeks at Chorazin constituted a veritable baptism of adversity for the twelve evangelists in that it was the most difficult and unproductive period in their careers up to this time. Being thus deprived of the satisfaction of winning souls for the kingdom, each of them the more earnestly and honestly took stock of his own soul and its progress in the spiritual paths of the new life.

(159:3.13) Teach all believers that those who enter the kingdom are not thereby rendered immune to the accidents of time or to the ordinary catastrophes of nature. Believing the gospel will not prevent getting into trouble, but it will insure that you shall be unafraid when trouble does overtake you. If you dare to believe in me and wholeheartedly proceed to follow after me, you shall most certainly by so doing enter upon the sure pathway to trouble. I do not promise to deliver you from the waters of adversity, but I do promise to go with you through all of them.

(166:4.3) "All too long have your fathers believed that prosperity was the token of divine approval; that adversity was the proof of God's displeasure. I declare that such beliefs are superstitions. Do you not observe that far greater numbers of the poor joyfully receive the gospel and immediately enter the kingdom? If riches evidence divine favor, why do the rich so many times refuse to believe this good news from heaven?

(48:7.14) 12. The greatest affliction of the cosmos is never to have been afflicted.

PostPosted:  

God Bless you brother xobeht 8)

Thanks for sharing i can relate

My Mother Passed away two years ago from a long struggel
with cancer , lung an brain etc , she was strong
And although i lived in PA N She lived in Mich ,
I Called an visited an helpd as much as i possibly could ,
It was my sisters an brother that lived nearby that took care of
her in her own home , there till the end , i regret not being there
more but i did what i could .