Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:54 pm +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Introduction
PostPosted:  

Hello. I thought I would post. I am reading the Urantia Book, and attending Urantia University. I am a Missouri Synod Lutheran, more or less. Ie, hard core conservative. One could say that I am slightly more liberal, perhaps.

Really, my mind works in a more ecumenical fashion than LCMS does. But I like the Confessional nature of the Church. On the other hand, the UB does provide information that would not be obtainable elsewhere. I'll look forward to all your posts.

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject: Re: Introduction
PostPosted:  
Site Admin

Hi Diego,

Thanks for your note. It's good to be affiliated with a church -- the Urantia Book should enhance your church life.

Some readers leave the church after finding TUB -- certainly that's not required, expected, or desired. You will find that church doctrine and the teachings of TUB sometimes conflict -- like Jesus' teachings conflicted with the traditions of his day. That doesn't mean you have to choose one to the exclusion of the other.

Best wishes,
Larry

PostPosted:  

Welcome Diego!!! I look forward to discussing the UB with you. Best wishes.

Brad 8)

PostPosted:  

I must first apologise for the long delay in writing back an answer to your two replies. The fact there WAS a reply went to my spam box, the which I do find very annoying. I have corrected that, and should receive all further notices from this site to my ordinary inbox.

Secondly, I thank you for your kind welcome. I wasn't exactly certain how an impeccably orthodox, Pietistical Lutheran of the Confessional variety would be received. For my own part, I tend to interpret the Bible quite literally. However, for whatever reason, I do admit to being drawn to the UB, in spite of my occasional disagreements with some of the ideas therein. Perhaps that is PRECISELY WHY I am drawn to it. I have always appreciated a different point of view.

I am finally getting used to typing with all ten fingers again on a regular computer. It has been a long time since I have done that. My computer hard drive (standard variety) crashed several months ago, and I have been operating on nothing by my Kindle reader and a tablet, said tablet being a very old device, and one of the slowest on record in the history of the planet. I was finally able to purchase a Solid State hard drive from a friend for 50 dollars today.Granted, its only 125 Gigs, whereas the previous one was 325, but beggars can't be choosers, and it was a solid stater for 50 bucks! I shall have to buy a portable external hard drive next month, but this is no trouble. For now, I shall just keep my data load light.

All THAT having been said regarding my electronic woes and tribulations before our Lord God and his Son Jesus Christ, I shall continue with the meat of this post. Regarding the nature of Jesus Christ, Son of God and Son of Man, I of course accept what the Scripture says about the subject, and what the four Oecumenical Councils said on the matter. To a lesser degree, I accept the next three Oecumenical Councils as well, but only insofar as they do not conflict with the plain words of Scripture.

However I am finding the account of Jesus in the UB to be interesting at the very least. And it does draw me back to it. Although I don't agree with the repudiation of the necessity of the Atonement, it IS a fascinating text.

I would love to write longer, but I have meds that are kicking in and making it hard to concentrate on my thoughts or typing. The results are going to be truly awful at this point if I continue, so I shall spare you all. In peace,
Diego.

PostPosted:  

Diego wrote:
However I am finding the account of Jesus in the UB to be interesting at the very least. And it does draw me back to it.

Hello Diego,

Regardless of background, over the years I've noticed a common thread with those who are interested in the Urantia Book.

Would you share with us more about what draws you to the book's account of Jesus' life?

Thank you and welcome.

PostPosted:  
Site Admin

Hello Diego,

As you're aware, The Urantia Book tells us that it's a revelation of epochal proportion, as was Jesus. (see 92:4.0). If that's so, that indicates that TUB speaks with as much truth and authoritatively as Jesus did. Jesus said things nobody had ever heard before and he shook people to their core; many didn't believe him. It's anticipated and expected by the authors that you will read things with which you disagree. When you do, ponder them. They're valuable to you, just as if you had lived 2,000 years ago and had heard Jesus speak and you disagreed with what he had to say then.

Best wishes,
Larry

PostPosted:  

Well, Martin Luther always taught that the core of the Christian religion was precisely that: Christ. Any information that I can obtain regarding the Christ is welcome information, for obvious reasons. I then decide whether I can accept it as valid information or not. Now, granted, there are plenty of things out there that claim to be information about Jesus. The UB seems to be a bit more realistic than some of them, but I do question its approach to the theology of the Cross. But nonetheless, I haven't made a decision yet.

It seems this shandy I am drinking is making me rather sleepy. I am not exactly sure why. I am discovering that the environment of this pub is noisier than it usually is. I am a little uncertain as to why that should be the case.

I often find myself marveling on the nature of Jesus of Nazareth, our Lord and Christ. As of late, I find his personality to be very interesting. He seems to have been rather tolerant in an age that was not known for such. Far more so than myself, for example. I admit to being quite prudish, actually, to the point of being rather anal about things. I find that the UB describing his being into Greek athletics, much to the distress of his father, is rather interesting. I can well believe it. Personally, I don't even like to get undressed for swimming purposes.

I still struggle with the idea of stepping outside boxes of any sort. But it is life. One does. And yet the minute one does, one enters yet another box. Jesus seemed to challenge a lot of boxes, but yet more boxes were created for him.

I have to go at the moment. I shall look forward to all your replies. I know I am not making much sense. A lot of things are going on in my personal life right now such that things are a bit of a cluster. Nevertheless, I shall look forward to hearing from you all.

PostPosted:  

Hi Diego,

Your last post made me remember that Jesus, The Master, definitely marked out some boxes for us. Or rather, boxes to break out of. In particular I'm thinking of when he sent the Apostles out 2 by 2 and told them not to bring food or water. I can't remember now whether it is from The Urantia Book or The Bible or both where he admonishes us not to regard The Earth as our home. In other words, don't get too comfortable here because we are here but temporarily and our pastime should be spiritual development rather than over much investment in more mundane concerns. That is a challenge and a box to keep from falling into!

If you have a web reference to the activities of the Ecumenical Council that would be interesting to look into.

PostPosted:  

(156:2.1) In entering Sidon, Jesus and his associates passed over a bridge, the first one many of them had ever seen. As they walked over this bridge, Jesus, among other things, said: "This world is only a bridge; you may pass over it, but you should not think to build a dwelling place upon it."

PostPosted:  

There are Seven (O)ecumenical Councils that commonly regarded as such by the Roman Catholic Church, the Orthodox Churches of East, most Anglicans, and some Lutheran Churches. A small number of Anglicans, and other Lutheran Churches only recognise the first Four, and some Orthodox Churches, commonly called Oriental Orthodox, only recognise the first Three, that is, they are what is called non-Chalcedonian, which means they do not accept that Fourth Council, the Council of Chalcedon.

Then you finally have the Assyrian Church of East, which is VERY odd. They only recogise the first TWO Councils. Of course, the Roman Church has continued to have Churchwide Councils within its Church that it calls Oecumenical, but are not recognised as such by anyone other than them. A reference that gives decent information on the concept of Oecumenical Councils is:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ecumenical_council

For the actions of any given Council, I would encourage you to search the Internet.

PostPosted:  

Hi Diego, I hope you feel welcome it is good that you have established traditions that help to maintain fellowship. I read (Paper 56?) that ecumenical relationships have reality within the universal mind, but within spiritual beings no such hierarchy has not ever existed. It is for the mind to regulate matter and to serve the spirit and as such I do not know of any real objections other than "it may hinder progress" or "such groups may become corrupted by acknowledging corrupt rulers."

"In all things, may the will of God prevail".