Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:02 pm +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
PostPosted:  

fanofVan wrote:
111:1.6 (1217.1) Mind is the cosmic instrument on which the human will can play the discords of destruction, or upon which this same human will can bring forth the exquisite melodies of God identification and consequent eternal survival. The Adjuster bestowed upon man is, in the last analysis, impervious to evil and incapable of sin, but mortal mind can actually be twisted, distorted, and rendered evil and ugly by the sinful machinations of a perverse and self-seeking human will. Likewise can this mind be made noble, beautiful, true, and good — actually great — in accordance with the spirit-illuminated will of a God-knowing human being.

It would seem that the phrase highlighted above is more to the point, and would seem to be overlooked much to often "human will can bring forth the exquisite melodies of God" to those who are tone deaf thereby distorting and twisting that which is heard or read.

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted:  

Greetings nod,

You wrote:
nodAmanaV wrote:
I am only trying to encourage thought about the specifics of what we ought to be doing as mortal human beings. I think it matters a lot. It seems to me that some do not. If Jesus' life is an example of what we should be doing, what is it about the "certain things" he did specifically that differentiates his achievements from those of others?

First of all, by using the word "we", I suppose your question concerns what all of us "should" be doing. My question is, what concern is it of yours what others "should" be doing? Isn't that each person's responsibility and no one else's?

Preachers commonly tell others what they should be doing, but it's not the doing that is important. It's the thought behind the doing that is important. Thoughts lead us Godward (101:1:3). If our thoughts are aligned with the Thought Adjuster, then his pre-will and our will become one (110:2:5). That's when we act, we choose, and God's will is done.

The "certain things" Jesus did to lead his thoughts Godward was highlighted very well by Rodan in Paper 160. Jesus was self-forgetting, and that enabled him to get his "self" out of the way so God's will could be done. If there's anything that we "should" be doing, it's getting ourselves out of the way. And above all else, stop telling other people what they "should" be "doing". It's Pharisaical.

The idea that "certain works" lead us Godward is actually a primitive idea, although more advanced than the original concept of sacrifice for salvation. Melchizedek, came to make a covenant with mortal man. That covenant was that all we have to do is believe in God and follow his instructions. God agrees to do everything else. That means, a flicker of faith, a desire to discover God's instructions and then choosing to follow them. That's what a tadpole does, and that's all he needs to do, live by faith and swim within God's current (spirit gravity). God does everything else.

This covenant of Melchizedek with Abraham represents the great Urantian agreement between divinity and humanity whereby God agrees to do everything; man only agrees to believe God's promises and follow his instructions. Heretofore it had been believed that salvation could be secured only by works — sacrifices and offerings; now, Melchizedek again brought to Urantia the good news that salvation, favor with God, is to be had by faith. But this gospel of simple faith in God was too advanced; the Semitic tribesmen subsequently preferred to go back to the older sacrifices and atonement for sin by the shedding of blood. 93:6:4

nodAmanaV wrote:
If any work is good, would Jesus have achieved what he did (before his baptism) doing something other than what he did in his life?

Yes, any work derived from a wholehearted desire to do God's will have spiritual results. All things spiritual survive into eternity. It's all about the soul and the relationship which it is, a relationship between man and God. That is the work that needs to be done, yet all soul growth is unconscious. Therefore, you cannot wake up in the morning and make a conscious decision to go out and heal the sick, feed the hungry and clothe the naked then come home a holy man blinding other's with your halo.

It doesn't necessarily work that way. It only works that way if, being filled with God-derived compassion and mercy, you forget yourself so much that any passing person with a pressing need creates in you a desire to help. And only God knows the best way to help another person, so whatever you do, it must come from him, not yourself. Hence the need to get yourself out of the way, like Jesus did.

In Friendship,
Rexford

PostPosted:  

Holy spirit of friendship Batman!

PostPosted:  

nodAmanaV wrote:
Quote:
at·tain·ment
əˈtānmənt/
noun
noun: attainment

the action or fact of achieving a goal toward which one has worked.

If in order to attain God one must work, what work would that be? Would it be more like reading a book or would it be more like living a life? And if God is living these lives we live with us on the inside, wouldn't we by our spiritual achievements become like an epochal revelation personally? Don't we have control of epochal things personally? What does it matter if an epochal revelation occurs and we don't do the work required to be a part of it? And likewise, why would an epochal revelation matter when we have the power to spiritually evolve epochally as a person?

Greetings nodAmanaV!!

It is gratifying to hear from one so earnest in their zeal to achieve!! I look forward to you directing the discussion on "Attainment of the Universal Father" toward actual activities and behaviors which will lead to such attainments. For it is true that the Revelation's teachings require the "doing" of the work of kingdom building - within and without. So much to do. So many options to choose. So many ways to serve and in that loving service, to discover truth, beauty, and goodness and to embrace it and reality-ize it as personal wisdom building experience....progress in the circles and transferring the seat of our very identity.

As to your use of "epochal"...I do disagree. No person, especially a mortal born still on planet has any "control" over "epochal things" regarding society or the planet's destiny or the System's progression to its jubilee or Nebadon's - only over their own epochal progress toward fusion and then finality. We may, however, contribute to the Supreme and the destiny of the universe of universes as one of trillions of trillions of created ones ascending by our choices into the wisdom of the ages. We are told that to awaken on the shores of Mansonia is indeed a great epochal experience for us personally and that fusion is a great epochal achievement for our TA (and us of course).

As to the value of epochal revelation for the each and the all, I would suggest reading this topic:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5114

Interestingly enough, you made the last post on the topic and provided some answer to your question above while the topic includes many quotes and much discussion on the value of the elimination of error and the reduction of confusions based on a lack of factual information about source, history, destiny, circuitry, etc. is given as to why the FER "matters". Why do we have this gift if it is irrelevant, ineffectual, inaccurate, disingenuous, or some mere trifle? What would that be all about? It is true that none needs the UB to aspire and to progress in the Spirit!! But to have such a map and guide and lamp of fact and truth is no small assistance in personal progress upon the pilgrim's path home....or so I have come to experience. So much less groping, illusion, confusion, consternation, and so much more assurance, clarity, confirmation, example, inspiration, and practical direction to apply to our daily walk.

What value do you discern within the teachings? What do you think you should be doing? Why would you think that, perhaps, others are not doing something with meaning and value that promotes personal and planetary progress? Who is failing to "launch" as you put it? How would you know who's launched and who's not yet? What can I do about someone else's launching difficulties? As Rexford points out....my hands are pretty full and busy with living this life as best I know how and am not qualified nor authorized to measure another's motives, intentions, thoughts, sincerity, efforts....or results.

You seem to appear disappointed in others and impatient for "someone" to "do " "something". Perhaps you might provide more clarity or detail to such yearning? Perhaps the lament I hear from your voice is simply my misunderstanding? I hope so. I find our existence to be glorious and wondrous and our futures bright and beautiful when I "see" and "hear" according to the spirit within and the Revelation reveals great cause for excitement and enthusiasm upon this pilgrim's path. Oh Joy!

There are so many who do not seem to share such a vision of reality as provided us in the UB. May all God's children come to feel secure and confident in our maker and keeper and join in the family fun of service and love. Someday, it will be so for all. Until then....this little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine!

8)

This little light of mine
I'm going to let it shine
Oh, this little light of mine
Hallelujah
This little light of mine
Let it shine, let it shine, let it shine

Ev'ry where I go
Oh, ev'ry where I go
Hallelujah
Ev'ry where I go

All in my house
Oh, all in my house
Hallelujah
All in my house

I'm not going to make it shine
I'm just going to let it shine
Hallelujah

Out in the dark
Oh, out in the dark
Hallelujah
Out in the dark
Let it shine, let it shine, let it shine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wink: :wink: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:

PostPosted:  

Greetings,

I have a question concerning this statement from nod:
nodAmanaV wrote:
If in order to attain God one must work, what work would that be? Would it be more like reading a book or would it be more like living a life?

Why isn't reading a book part of living a life? Why does it have to be one or the other? Doesn't living include reading books? Jesus did a lot of reading. If we are supposed to look at what Jesus did, we would see that he read books, lots of books for a lot of time each week. If it was okay for Jesus, why isn't okay for me?

At the Capernaum synagogue he found many new books in the library chests, and he spent at least five evenings a week at intense study. 129:1:19

In Friendship,
Rexford

PostPosted:  

Thank you Brad but no, we are not in disagreement with things "epochal". I used the term only as you stated "over [our] own epochal progress toward fusion and then finality" and that is what I am interested in discussing as it relates to the text and especially regarding the direction Jesus pointed too for us. There is the "letter of the text" and there is the "spirit of the text". It is in this context of the spirit of the text that I believe we are being prodded to engage as the natural follow up to the study of the FER, the Urantia Book, perhaps the greatest of all God's gifts to our world up to this time.

As to what it is "we" should be doing, I'm only interested in the part that I should be doing. What I have "done" up to this point in my life, I am only too much aware of, and frankly it makes me feel like I should have done more. Where I go from here however is a work in progress and I look to others for support and suggestion as to how to proceed, I'm nobody special.

I want to ask you, Light and Life? At the end of that era, what is happening usually? Don't most mortals experience terrestrial escape by fusion rather than natural death? Forgive me if I don't have this right but doesn't the text tell us that so far only two individuals have accomplished fusion during the mortal life on our world, the prophet Enoch and the prophet Elijah, Jesus being an exception since he is the Creator and all. And if it's the destiny of all to move towards this fusion experience in the mortal life doesn't that mean that ultimately everybody will be like a prophet? Won't this become (forgive me) "run of the mill"? Today we think of a prophet as having some special ability, a greater than usual "response-ability" as you like to say Brad but if we project life forward to the end times of the era of Light and Life, won't this be anything but special? Then, what will be unusual is if you leave the planet as a dead man instead of on a "chariot of fire" right? For me to think that I am supposed to be like a prophet makes me cringe but isn't that what the text is telling us? That all Urantia mortals are to be like "prophets" someday? I'll tell you this, I have a long way to go!

To me it's clear that if we are the sons and daughters of a Heavenly Father and if it's true that he wants us to join him given us our inheritance to participate in his creation, then shouldn't we do all that we can to make this happen now so that the next generation, our children, will be in a position further ahead than we are in order for the race to get closer sooner to the inevitable goal of Light and Life? I want to do this. I hope you all do too.

PostPosted:  

An excellent reply...and thank you. Yes, indeed, some day a few, and then some, and then many, and then most, and then all will depart by translation. And most will have lived a few centuries in a place of harmony, leadership, unity, common purpose, education, truth, beauty, and goodness to achieve this eventual common occurrence. And yes, we should be moving through our circles by our sincerity and free will dedication to the spirit within by reality aligning our motives and intentions as we purposefully serve in love, and this no matter how quickly or how long it takes for the certain results to come. And by such efforts to become more godly we assist and contribute to our world...as is our duty....until it becomes our great pleasure.....as we are taught there is no "duty" in true loving service.

I agree that all nobly incited ones with heart and brain often feel inadequate, even a little overwhelmed. And we are taught that confusion and uncertainty will attend us here and beyond in knowing what to do and when and how in this journey of truth seeking and service as we evolve toward the state of finality in all its wisdom and experience. But in the vicissitudes and edges of conflict and uncertainties, we are to have peace, joy, confidence, and assurance of God's power, purpose, and plan - we can only do what we can do and must trust others are doing what they can too and all will be most glorious in the end and along the way. Worry and anxiety about our own progress or the progress of others or of the all contribute nothing of value but only diminishes our ability to contribute or progress - both.

Back to Light and Life, I've often wondered at what point, if any, does a planet progress sufficiently for the ascenders to no longer be considered Agondonter? It makes me think about how rare such faithful believers may be in the universe of universes proportional to all who grow up on a settled planet with celestial leadership and authority in full force. Our world is filled with believers in God and the family of ALL (despite the horrors and nightly news in contrast). The Papers teach that each of us can create Eden and L&L right here right now for ourselves and our families and work for that reality in our communities and our world. We cannot create for others that which we cannot or have not created in our very own life first.

It is only the divine fruit of the divine vine that we have to offer others or our world. The more fruit we bear, the more help given and the more sincere effort to serve in love then the more fruit is borne. An interesting cycle and circuit. The Papers are filled, front to back, with practical methods for such personal progress - it is the definitive How To Book. I look forward to further discussion on those many teachings given in text to assist us each and all in how to transfer the seat of our identity in this brief life to evolve from tadpoles to fused ascenders! And as goes the parts, so goes the whole...so the more of us activated into loving service, the better the results for all others and the quicker we move toward our destinies....eternity for the each and L&L for the all. Or so I understand it.

8)

PostPosted:  

quil,

I'm wondering if your questions have been sufficiently answered. I'm not sure we ever addressed your question, "What is it about this time that such 'frank statements' are advisable?"

When I look back at the times when the Papers were being formulated, I notice that it coincides with the birth of psychology as a science, the study of the way the psyche processes experience with reality. The celestials chose a psychiatrist, Mr. Sadler, as their point man, used the mind of a contact person, and revealed the detailed workings of the human mind, psyche, soul and Adjuster.

Psychology, we are told, has weakened religions dependent upon fear, superstition and emotion (99:4:8). Having been weaned off of these psychic support systems, I think those who have recognized this weakness of organized religion need something to fill the gap, hence a new epochal revelation. Those who have faced fear, superstition and emotion in the eye are probably more likely to also accept "frank statements" in regards to truth without being derailed psychologically. (Which means the converse is also true.)

You also ask why the declaration of the fact of the partiality of all revelation short of attainment of the Universal Father wasn't applied to all revelation. I think they did mention this elsewhere in the text, below being one example:

The fact of God, the divine law, is changeless; the truth of God, his relation to the universe, is a relative revelation which is ever adaptable to the constantly evolving universe. 102:7:2

Additionally, revelation and truth being essentially the same thing, we are told numerous times about the relativity of truth. I don't think it's an accident that the Spirit of Truth is a revealer, especially a revealer of the living spirit relationship of all things and persons (56:10:13), one relative to the other.

Rexford

PostPosted:  

For all who read this topic, I suggest a re-read of Paper 5 - "God's Relation to the Individual", filled with quote after quote to guide our discussion here on "Attainment of the Universal Father".

5:1.8 (63.6) The Father desires all his creatures to be in personal communion with him. He has on Paradise a place to receive all those whose survival status and spiritual nature make possible such attainment. Therefore settle in your philosophy now and forever: To each of you and to all of us, God is approachable, the Father is attainable, the way is open; the forces of divine love and the ways and means of divine administration are all interlocked in an effort to facilitate the advancement of every worthy intelligence of every universe to the Paradise presence of the Universal Father.

5:1.9 (63.7) The fact that vast time is involved in the attainment of God makes the presence and personality of the Infinite none the less real. Your ascension is a part of the circuit of the seven superuniverses, and though you swing around it countless times, you may expect, in spirit and in status, to be ever swinging inward. You can depend upon being translated from sphere to sphere, from the outer circuits ever nearer the inner center, and some day, doubt not, you shall stand in the divine and central presence and see him, figuratively speaking, face to face. It is a question of the attainment of actual and literal spiritual levels; and these spiritual levels are attainable by any being who has been indwelt by a Mystery Monitor, and who has subsequently eternally fused with that Thought Adjuster.

5:2.6 (65.2) The entire experience of Adjuster communion is one involving moral status, mental motivation, and spiritual experience. The self-realization of such an achievement is mainly, though not exclusively, limited to the realms of soul consciousness, but the proofs are forthcoming and abundant in the manifestation of the fruits of the spirit in the lives of all such inner-spirit contactors.

5:4.3 (67.1) God is not only the determiner of destiny; he is man’s eternal destination. All nonreligious human activities seek to bend the universe to the distorting service of self; the truly religious individual seeks to identify the self with the universe and then to dedicate the activities of this unified self to the service of the universe family of fellow beings, human and superhuman.

5:5.11 (69.6) God-consciousness, as it is experienced by an evolving mortal of the realms, must consist of three varying factors, three differential levels of reality realization. There is first the mind consciousness — the comprehension of the idea of God. Then follows the soul consciousness — the realization of the ideal of God. Last, dawns the spirit consciousness — the realization of the spirit reality of God. By the unification of these factors of the divine realization, no matter how incomplete, the mortal personality at all times overspreads all conscious levels with a realization of the personality of God. In those mortals who have attained the Corps of the Finality all this will in time lead to the realization of the supremacy of God and may subsequently eventuate in the realization of the ultimacy of God, some phase of the absonite superconsciousness of the Paradise Father.

5:6.8 (71.3) Having thus provided for the growth of the immortal soul and having liberated man’s inner self from the fetters of absolute dependence on antecedent causation, the Father stands aside. Now, man having thus been liberated from the fetters of causation response, at least as pertains to eternal destiny, and provision having been made for the growth of the immortal self, the soul, it remains for man himself to will the creation or to inhibit the creation of this surviving and eternal self which is his for the choosing. No other being, force, creator, or agency in all the wide universe of universes can interfere to any degree with the absolute sovereignty of the mortal free will, as it operates within the realms of choice, regarding the eternal destiny of the personality of the choosing mortal. As pertains to eternal survival, God has decreed the sovereignty of the material and mortal will, and that decree is absolute.

:biggrin: 8)

PostPosted:  

Our mortal destiny is so unique and so exciting!! When considering the "Attainment of the Universal Father", we are taught to also consider the attainment of the Supreme - the Deity of Divine experiential totality of time and space. Finaliters will become not "only" completely spiritized in Paradise and expressive of our unique experience over time and ascension, but we will also become so much more - as expressions of and partners with the Supreme - a triunity of being in new levels of service ministry in ways never before actualized in its collective potential - it should be remembered that the outer space levels already show 70,000 units of space organization, each greater than any of the current 7 Super Universes - the future territories of the Finaliters Eternal Adventure To Come!

117:5.2 (1285.5) The intellectual, potentially personal selves of the finite emerge from the Third Source and Center and achieve finite time-space Deity synthesis in the Supreme. When the creature submits to the will of the Creator, he does not submerge or surrender his personality; the individual personality participants in the actualization of the finite God do not lose their volitional selfhood by so functioning. Rather are such personalities progressively augmented by participation in this great Deity adventure; by such union with divinity man exalts, enriches, spiritualizes, and unifies his evolving self to the very threshold of supremacy.

117:5.3 (1286.1) The evolving immortal soul of man, the joint creation of the material mind and the Adjuster, ascends as such to Paradise and subsequently, when mustered into the Corps of the Finality, becomes allied in some new way with the spirit-gravity circuit of the Eternal Son by a technique of experience known as finaliter transcendation. Such finaliters thus become acceptable candidates for experiential recognition as personalities of God the Supreme. And when these mortal intellects in the unrevealed future assignments of the Corps of the Finality attain the seventh stage of spirit existence, such dual minds will become triune. These two attuned minds, the human and the divine, will become glorified in union with the experiential mind of the then actualized Supreme Being.

117:5.6 (1286.4) The progressing personality leaves a trail of actualized reality as it passes through the ascending levels of the universes. Be they mind, spirit, or energy, the growing creations of time and space are modified by the progression of personality through their domains. When man acts, the Supreme reacts, and this transaction constitutes the fact of progression.

117:5.13 (1287.4) What man himself takes with him as a personality possession are the character consequences of the experience of having used the mind and spirit circuits of the grand universe in his Paradise ascent. When man decides, and when he consummates this decision in action, man experiences, and the meanings and the values of this experience are forever a part of his eternal character on all levels, from the finite to the final. Cosmically moral and divinely spiritual character represents the creature’s capital accumulation of personal decisions which have been illuminated by sincere worship, glorified by intelligent love, and consummated in brotherly service.

117:6.10 (1289.3) All true love is from God, and man receives the divine affection as he himself bestows this love upon his fellows. Love is dynamic. It can never be captured; it is alive, free, thrilling, and always moving. Man can never take the love of the Father and imprison it within his heart. The Father’s love can become real to mortal man only by passing through that man’s personality as he in turn bestows this love upon his fellows. The great circuit of love is from the Father, through sons to brothers, and hence to the Supreme. The love of the Father appears in the mortal personality by the ministry of the indwelling Adjuster. Such a God-knowing son reveals this love to his universe brethren, and this fraternal affection is the essence of the love of the Supreme.

Me: So, then, what should a tadpole be "doing" to facilitate the spiritual conspiracy which is actively seeking our free will participation in the greatest adventure ever devised???!!!

When contemplating the achievement or objective of any endeavor, I like to assess the assets and resources as well as the obstacles and risks in the creation of a strategic and tactical plan of action. Naturally, it is important that the objective be worthy and obtainable. Next is self honesty as to obstacles and risks which require overcoming or elimination. Then I must exercise true will power, find that inner motive for change and effort. When worthy motive meets noble endeavor, great things occur.

One of the first things I encounter is a paradox. The best way to serve self is to be self forgetful. :?: :idea: To serve others is the only way to truly serve my own best interests. :!: Selfishness or self centeredness does not serve the self at all. But is rather an obstacle and a great risk to the self's best outcome and destiny potential. Hmmmmmmm.....weird. :-s Self assertion is required for self expression but the self must be eliminated in its expression of itself for their to be any meaning or value in that expression....I must become a vehicle for the expression of Spirit and love which comes through myself but not really from myself. I've known many writers, musicians and other artists who all claim this same conundrum - the removal of "self" as an obstacle to the flow of creative expressionism. Puzzling. Difficult. Or so it is at first.

So, how do I eliminate self and become a conduit for spirit? Prayer first. Worship next. Commune with God next. We are to learn to pray without ceasing....to always be in touch with Father. This requires effort and practice until it becomes the natural WAY to BE. This is conversation, not supplication. Personalized chatting and discussing and reflecting. Worship, to me, is my time sharing my wonder, excitement, good vibes, and great thanks/appreciation for the glory of BEING and a feeling of community and family with all creation. I'll let you know about communion when I know something more about it.

So....first thing....how's my prayer life? It's not about ME, is it? :? If not, I'm off to a good start.

The UB provides a definitive list of natural obstacles and risks to eliminate from our mind and life....mind poisons! Anxiety, fear, anger, hate, resentment, regret, selfishness, greed, dominance, self entitlements, the pursuit of pleasure as self gratification, impatience. Oh-oh!!! :shock: :( Got me some obstacles to manage and eliminate.

The key to the elimination of obstacles I've found is attention to motive! What motivates my life and my decisions? Motive is the foundation of intent as intention requires a circumstance or situation where my motive is expressed in the moment. Proper motive cures the mind and eliminates ALL obstacles related to the mind poisons. Which is not to suggest this is either automatic or instantaneous but is nevertheless effective as a complete curative of mind poisoning already suffered and a preventative of all future poisonings. The elimination of fear is another interesting paradox to manage. Fear must be eliminated from all motivation and decision making but what can ever replace it? Hope, faith, confidence, assurance, and trust must displace and replace all fears and all sources of anxieties. In other words, God must replace fear with the presence of spirit. But the inviolate gift of free will requires that we must open that door and invite God to fill us and guide us by the power and force of love....in its free flowing circuitry....by giving love to others....that we might receive it in its universal circuitry.

Okay.....head hurting. :roll: I wanted to be responsive to nodAmanV's reasonable articulation of "how" and "what" are ascender tadpoles to be "doing" to progress. While my offering here is certainly incomplete and not nearly so eloquent as the steps illuminated in the Papers, I feel it important for each of us to be able to articulate our philosophy for living and becoming our potential according to our own personalized understanding of the teachings gifted to us. The Urantia Papers gave this truthseeker endless concrete and clear instruction on the how to and why for upon the pilgrim's path to Paradise. The UB is far more than a book of facts and truths....it is a road map and guide book to the ascension career.

What might you add from your studies of the UB that have helped you discern, discover, embrace, and progress in truth, beauty, and goodness??

8) Brad aka fanofVan

PostPosted:  

My cousin said in another thread "One element that I have found that abounds in the Bible but seems to be altogether missing in the Urantia Book is that of emotion and passionate zeal." Ray, do you feel the emotion and passionate zeal now? Brad has enough for a platoon! If it's missing, Brad will fill it in.

I have been wanting to add to the discussion here regarding the "Attainment of the Universal Father" but unfortunately I haven't been free enough to give it what it deserves and I don't want to get going prematurely since I don't have adequate time to be thorough. However I will quote from text what I have always thought was the thing it points to most regarding what I should be "doing".

196:1.3 (2090.4) Of all human knowledge, that which is of greatest value is to know the religious life of Jesus and how he lived it.

If Jesus' life is the "way" then I believe it would be worth while in light of this topic to examine the various episodes of Jesus' life and try to determine why his involvement in certain events and devotions led to his attainment of the things that resulted in his spiritual achievements leading up to his baptism. What I want to do is make a list of the things I feel are noteworthy for discussion and will get to it as soon as I can but right now duty beckons and my time is limited. But what I can start with, as one of the most important things I would put on the list, is his acceptance of the responsibility of fathering his siblings and how this was a major factor in his growth as a man and how it allowed him to grasp sooner and better and at a very early age to understand what God's desire is for him and how taking on the work of fatherhood caused him to grow and gain insight in ways like no other experience can.

PostPosted:  

The Fifth Epochal Revelation has appeared in our world in the form of an expression of human language, the "Urantia Book". Frankly however, hasn't the FER been mistitled? Wouldn't a better title be the "Universal Father Book", or the book of universally fathering?

180:1.1 (1944.4) "And so I give you this new commandment: That you love one another even as I have loved you."

Wouldn't that be as the Universal Father loves?

PostPosted:  

u·ni·ver·sal
ˌyo͞onəˈvərsəl/
adjective
adjective: universal

of, affecting, or done by all people or things in the world or in a particular group; applicable to all cases.

PostPosted:  

Greetings nod,

You asked:
nodAmanaV wrote:
The Fifth Epochal Revelation has appeared in our world in the form of an expression of human language, the "Urantia Book". Frankly however, hasn't the FER been mistitled? Wouldn't a better title be the "Universal Father Book", or the book of universally fathering?

I don't think so. At least 60% of the book has to do with cosmology, celestial hierarchies and the history of this planet. An additional 35% has to do with the life of Jesus. That leaves about 5% about the Universal Father. I think the book is about this planet and how it and its people fit into the universe. Of course, it does reveal things about the Universal Father, such as his abode, his Adjusters, his loving nature, etc., so I can see where you might extrapolate.

I'm aslo curious as to why this thread has wandered off topic. I thought it was about quil's questions. Wouldn't a separate topic about the religious life be fair to him and easier on readers? Of course, quil doesn't seem to be complaining. By the way, where is he?

In Friendship,
Rexford

PostPosted:  

I too look forward to friend quil's return to the discussion! The "attainment" of the Universal Father is a complex topic which includes, IMO, not only the final attainment but the attaining journey as well. The glory road or pilgrim's path is a process of such attainment, it's a journey and adventure designed to provide for the Paradise experience of ultimate attainment - which we have discovered in text is not THE final attainment which will not come until the grand jubilee when time and space is settled in L&L and the Supreme has experientially evolved into a Finality (if you will) that will then bring a completion to our attainment in final preparation for the adventure still to come in the outer levels.

So, I would suggest that the beginning of attainment, here and now, is topical and relevant to the thread and in some ways is more important in its immediacy and facilitation of the ultimate "attainment" to come. One of Covey's 7 habits of effective people is "Begin with the End in mind". The beauty of the Papers is the presentation of perspective to assist us in the struggles of today - we simply must have a universal citizen's and family view of who we are to make choices that have a basis in reality! We are not isolated or alone and we BELONG and have VALUE and can contribute to the ALL when we clearly understand how things work and what comes next and how best to proceed from here. The time unit perspective is critical to accelerating spiritization - from the beginning of all to the destiny of all and our precise "time" of personal participation.

This time unit view of reality when combined with our being encircuted in the love force and spirit and mind gravities propels the mind into proper motive and intent and priority and free will choice. Our lives become more purposeful and more productive as the vine bears the fruits of the spirit by our confidence and assurance of our purpose and our destiny. The Papers were given to inform and to inspire by the knowledge of universal reality for that context with which to gain perspective and harmonize our very being with reality. Or so I believe.

8)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next