Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:22 am +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted:  

How do I become unafraid of death? I'm eighteen years old and I have been diagnosed with Lyme disease and death is constantly on my mind, how can I teach myself to not fear it? It's not so much death I'm afraid of.. Its leaving my family and friends.. The realization that you've died. Even tho I feel terrible everyday, I don't think my soul purpose is done yet. I love life but yet I fear death? How can I view it like it is just another chapter in a book?

The will creatures of universe upon universe have embarked upon the long, long Paradise journey, the fascinating struggle of the eternal adventure of attaining God the Father.

The Urantia Book, (1:0.3)

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted:  

Welcome. Profoundly important questions. I feel it important to clarify your personal situation though prior to any in depth response. I fear that if you are facing imminent mortality, that it would be insensitive to broach the topic hypothetically or philosophically. Platitudes are too easily offered by those who are not facing such a situation personally to those who are.

But I can say that many have faced such a situation and all have faced ultimate mortality and the sudden and unexpected loss of those we love.

It is my sincere hope and prayer that your situation is not critical but, rather, as is more common with those who suffer Lyme disease, you face a future with chronic, recurring, and debilitating symptoms which may yet find relief and even cure.

I'll leave it at that for now and hope to hear more about your situation. Facing mortality itself is very personal, complex and certainly a worthy topic for our consideration in the context of the eternal adventure we face from this temporal and material beginning. A wonderful adventure awaits us in the next chapter of life and that certainly can help us as we face the uncertainties, vicissitudes, and suffering in this one. The Urantia Book has much to say on the matter.

I am sure you will find this community a friendly and encouraging place to consider your most important questions. It is inspiring to note your concern for those you love. A great beginning in your quest for understanding, courage, and hope.

Brad

PostPosted:  

Dear Oceans... I love your name :) I too suffer at times from anxieties of what if's ... I have a poster by my bed that reads... Keep Calm and Have Faith. Faith is a big word for sure. For me it's Faith in our heavenly Father to shine the light on my path and give me the strength to face whatever comes along... Like walking in the woods on a trail... never know when a bear might appear. We never know what the future holds on a daily basis... like crossing the street... Using the search engine here on this site is a good was to learn about out primitive nature... One of my favorite quotes is
48:7.21 19. Anxiety must be abandoned. The disappointments hardest to bear are those which never come.
Another tool I use :) I count my blessings !!! of which there are many. I wear a bead bracelet and use it often to count. and for sure at night when I count all the good things that happened during my day...
I suffer from pain too and it's a drag but I ain't gonna let that stop me... Power on! Aloha and God bless... <3

PostPosted:  
Site Admin

What has benefited millions is to make the choice to believe Jesus. It's a decision... was Jesus a real person? did his life and teachings change the world? can you trust Jesus? can you dedicate your life to him? Does life have meaning and value or is it chaotic and a matter of chance? There is no scientific evidence, no formulas for answering these questions, they're a matter of making decisions, personal decisions based on the faith that there's more to existence than what we can see and touch. Jesus taught us to have faith in him, his teachings, and in our heavenly Father. We can choose to follow Jesus as a child, a teenager, an adult, or in our old age -- once we choose our life takes on new dimension; the old way passes and a spiritual rebirth takes place.

If you can believe that Jesus was real and that his deeds and teachings are true then you have become a believer. You don't have to join a church or belong to any religion to be a believer -- Jesus came for everyone on this world, to those who were religious and to those who were not, to rich and poor; they only have to choose to believe.

If you can believe that Jesus was real then you understand that he resurrected Lazarus 4 days after he had died, after his body had begun to decay, as a testimony that life does not end with death. You also understand that Jesus said he would lay down his life and would take it up again, as his own personal testimony that his teachings were true and that the demonstration of the resurrection of Lazarus was not a deniable trick. And he did; on the third day after his death on the cross Jesus came out from the tomb and for many weeks thereafter he appeared to believers. Jesus' life and death are the only testimony a believer needs in order to overcome the fear of death -- a fear we all face until we're able to personally accept Jesus' life and teachings as being meaningful in our own lives.

We live on a special world -- the one world where Jesus chose to live and to give up his life so that he could personally demonstrate that death is not the end, but is a new beginning. Trust Jesus.

The best source for learning about and knowing Jesus' life and teachings is The Urantia Book. The decision to trust and to follow Jesus is easy once you understand the facts of Jesus' life here.

Larry

PostPosted:  

Thank you fanofVan, tootsie, and watkins for your awesome, uplifting responses. I apologize for not clarifying my situation. I have been dealing with health issues and have just been recently diagnosed with Lyme. I'm not dying, just very I'll. With the seriousness of lyme and all the things you hear about it I think that's where the anxiety comes into play.

The will creatures of universe upon universe have embarked upon the long, long Paradise journey, the fascinating struggle of the eternal adventure of attaining God the Father.

The Urantia Book, (1:0.3)

PostPosted:  

Oceans333 - So glad to hear your words. I feel far better now about discussing the topic. This may take some time as your questions encompass much of the text's presentations. A few thoughts:

First - your feelings are perfectly normal regardless of one's immediate situation....death comes to us in many ways - including suddenly, accidentally, and in youth as well as slowly or naturally in old age. It is a universal event so each and all do consider death and what comes after....as well as what and who is left behind. Life, mortal life, is so uncertain for so many on our world and, too often, brief for those of tender age due to war, reckless choices, ravages of earthquake and tsunami and avalanche and flood, and disease. Some parts of our planet have extremely young populations due to the extreme mortality rates suffered locally.

Fear and anxiety; these mind poisons are not peculiar to mortality considerations and are particularly harmful to our mind and choices made by or from fear often perpetuate cycles of bad outcomes both in emotional stability and life situations which can prevent spirit progress and the development of confidence in God's power, purpose, and plan. Courage comes from faith combined with a perspective of belonging to creation and Creator...God is the source of love and of us and the two are attached by God's personal care and caring.

It's important to come to realize that this means that we already abide in God's "kingdom" or creation and family of all beings everywhere always...including right here and right now. Heaven is not later nor distant for the one who comes to "see" the unity and harmony of creation and the power of love in that creation. Those who "await" the "hereafter" rob themselves of the joy and beauty of living that life now. And such a life, connected to God and all our family and for all time and eternity, can be lived by our direct connection to Spirit and Truth which brings forth the fruits of the spirit here, now, and progressively so as we gain experience and wisdom every day upon the pilgrim's path.

The perspective of our origin and our destiny in the circles and streams of time will deliver a philosophy of living based upon new motivations, noble intentions, decisions and choices based in love and cosmic citizenship that will change not only us but our view of everyone and everything else. Sometimes we suffer from the material realities and imperfections of this material life, but far more often do we suffer by the consequences of choices and attitudes derived by fear, rather than hope or faith. This is discussed in The Papers many times and ways but the "time unit" of our viewing lense into the distant past and future of all creation and our opportunity for eternal adventure certainly helps dispel some of the uncertainties we face along the way. This life is just a brief moment in-time compared to the life we are born to live.

Finally, for now, I would say that the Urantia Book teaches that even a fearless, focused, harmonized, balanced, and mature mortal will still face challenges (we are here to learn after all) and uncertainties and doubts; but that these are to be embraced by a mind that is confident of its source and its potential and ultimate destiny. We are here to experience and to discover how to "respond" to what happens and to do so by love, in love, with love, and the sharing and caring love brings to all who embrace its comforting reality and truth. Live in love....and all will be well. Oh....and your "soul's purpose" is an eternal one as well as an immediate one. It's purpose is divine perfection and eternal service in a universe of love and purpose that is well managed by its creator.

Part IV of the UB is a sublime presentation of the Master's life among us and his example and words of the Good News - we are loved and we are to love one another. Thanks for being here our new friend. Best wishes in all things. I am certain you will come to embrace the reality of life in your pursuit of truth, beauty, and goodness. Peace.

8)

PostPosted:  

Hello Oceans333,

I've had several close brushes with death so far but the previous Saturday I awoke with prominent lump in my throat, which wasn't sore but was obviously caused by an infection. About supper time, I coughed a bit and swallowed. Suddenly both my nose and throat were nearly entirely blocked. I was alone in the house. I struggled with all my might to first breath in and then attempt to breath out. I was completely chocked. Almost no air passed and after about two minutes I was entirely convinced my time was up.

Not so much fear but dread passed through my mind. I figured it would take some time before my body would have been found. The love of my life would be shattered on hearing the news and it felt so tragic that we had hardly even started out together. There is so very much more that needed to be done and shared. The end of the spiritual aspects of sharing and acknowledging growth in my friends, family and future acquaintances was also in mind but much more vaguely. The struggle to survive required an intense focus.

But I was so highly motivated because of those things to fight with every bit of strength and resolve I had in me. By probably the third minute I could feel a bit more air passing but I was nearing the point where I would black out if an enormous amount of adrenaline hadn't been pumping out. I got the idea to start hitting my chest as hard as I could. After a few hits, I could feel the blockage disappearing and I could gasp in enough air to be more confident that I would survive and be able to continue pounding. After a few more minutes I could breath normally but my system was in a state of chock.

In retrospect, I'm not sure if I fear death any more or less because of that. I certainly have a lot more respect for the possibility that it could happen anytime from almost any cause. I'm more wary and will pay more attention to warning signs. Strangely enough the next day there was no longer a lump or throat infection.

When I was 19 I passed through a period of deep spiritual searching and learning. At one of the culminations, I had a vision that I couldn't otherwise interpret as viewing life on the Mansion Worlds. The peace, belonging, fulfillment, cooperation and beauty there was so overwhelming that I knew thereafter I could never be afraid of being bound for such a place. So ultimately, I've resolved that the effort to be personally involved with the spiritual unfolding of this planet and its people will continue as long as God sees it fit for me to be involved. I'll fight to the last breath to hold on as long as possible. But he is to make the determination how long that will be.

Steve

PostPosted:  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9WtuuoaBgQ

There are many ways to approach the issue of death with bravery, certainty, and optimism. Solomon once said "It is better to stay by the house of death than to cavort with minstrels".

Please listen to the video, as my sister has explained from her father why she should not be convinced that death is the end.

PostPosted:  

When we choose to join the family of God and to live within the reality that is thusly realized in mind, all perspective on all issues changes:

(1117.1) 101:10.7 Religion effectually cures man’s sense of idealistic isolation or spiritual loneliness; it enfranchises the believer as a son of God, a citizen of a new and meaningful universe. Religion assures man that, in following the gleam of righteousness discernible in his soul, he is thereby identifying himself with the plan of the Infinite and the purpose of the Eternal. Such a liberated soul immediately begins to feel at home in this new universe, his universe.

(1117.2) 101:10.8 When you experience such a transformation of faith, you are no longer a slavish part of the mathematical cosmos but rather a liberated volitional son of the Universal Father. No longer is such a liberated son fighting alone against the inexorable doom of the termination of temporal existence; no longer does he combat all nature, with the odds hopelessly against him; no longer is he staggered by the paralyzing fear that, perchance, he has put his trust in a hopeless phantasm or pinned his faith to a fanciful error.

(1117.3) 101:10.9 Now, rather, are the sons of God enlisted together in fighting the battle of reality’s triumph over the partial shadows of existence. At last all creatures become conscious of the fact that God and all the divine hosts of a well-nigh limitless universe are on their side in the supernal struggle to attain eternity of life and divinity of status. Such faith-liberated sons have certainly enlisted in the struggles of time on the side of the supreme forces and divine personalities of eternity; even the stars in their courses are now doing battle for them; at last they gaze upon the universe from within, from God’s viewpoint, and all is transformed from the uncertainties of material isolation to the sureties of eternal spiritual progression. Even time itself becomes but the shadow of eternity cast by Paradise realities upon the moving panoply of space.

8)

PostPosted:  

I believe that no human is immune from the fears and anxities associated with facing personal mortality.
We are told that Jesus felt all of the full range of human emotions.
Ill bet even the perfected human Jesus was not immune as he faced his demise.
Knowing God helps but its an experience that all of us face.
How we face it I believe cannot be predicted even by those that think they know themselves very well.

PostPosted:  

Hi Oceans333!
Have faith in what the Urantia Book has revealed to us.
We are all temporary citizens of earth.
We have a great adventurous life ahead awaiting us.
We shall move on together!
Remove all the anxieties and be a cheerful lad of God on earth.
May the guardian angels of God cheer you up.

PostPosted:  

Ricktare,

I meant to tell you this a few months back when I initially read your post in this thread: What an incredible experience you went through. Thank you for sharing that. So glad you are still with us!!! Thank you Lord! Just wow! It's a good reminder for everyone here. It can come at any moment. We should be grateful for all of the moments we have on this rock.

I have had dreams (nightmares?) where I was dying in a sudden situation and I can distinctly recall that the sense of dread that dominated my mind for those who would discover me and for those who loved me and the sorrow they would experience. I have always wondered if the real thing would be anything like that and your experience seems to indicate that it's close, at least.

Oceans333,

I am no so certain I fear the fact of death. As I grow older, death seems to make more sense as a logical part of the life process, when you observe all the other cyclic systems of renewal on this planet. But I definitely fear the process of dying (will I feel pain? how long will it take?) and the aftermath for everyone left behind. It's all the pain death causes for everyone else that I really dread. Perhaps this is universal?

When I appeal to earthly wisdom and to our Creator concerning this problem, I am reminded that pain is temporary and fleeting. All those afflicted will grow and learn from the experience. We will all be given a chance to see each other again. It is but a part of the process. And I do find some comfort in that. I hope you do too.

But I doubt I will ever become unafraid. I simply ask for the courage to live life despite of the dread. And for a reminder of the intrinsic joy there is in being alive in the first place. :)