Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:46 pm +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Urantia Book movie?
PostPosted:  

Will there ever be a Urantia Book motion picture someday? They should make one at least about the life of Jesus of Nazareth and his lost years. Someone should suggest it.

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject: Re: Urantia Book movie?
PostPosted:  

Yes I agree - we need to get the talented people like Richard Jernigan on board and make something cool. The lost years of Jesus' life is a great idea. There is also some fantastic material in the earlier parts, like the Lucifer Rebellion, the Caligastia 100, Van and Amadon, Adam & Eve's default or Melchizedek's visit.

One day.

Somewhere in middle-earth,
kiwi

PostPosted:  

HI Brothers 8)

Theres this ...
[video]http://youtu.be/xxh42H4Chvc[/video]

PostPosted:  

And This ...

http://urantia-book-films.org/

PostPosted:  

Hi Coop, I just watched that first clip and, wow!, it's very interesting with a quirky vocal attitude that's impossible to forget :)

PostPosted:  

The World as a whole is still not ready for a full blown exposure to the U.B.

The book has yet to find enough people to be a proper influence in the world, openly

PostPosted:  

JB! Where ya been buddy??? Great to see your face on the board again.
Al
You may be correct, there may not be enough "in the know" to have reached critical mass...

PostPosted:  

Lol getting older.

I do a of time on G+ these days.

PostPosted:  

I am forced to agree with J.B. on this, althugh I'm kind of resurrecting an old conversation. And the Church as such would likely go effing ballistic if the UB were turned into a film. Its one thing to deal with other religions, that don't really threaten the faith, like Judaism, Hinduism, or Islam. I mean, overall, if a man is raised to believe in Jesus, how likely is he to give that whole structure of belief up, like Christmas, Easter, and for many, church attendance and the approval of friends and family, for a radically different way of life like a non-Christian religion?

My point is that the Church isn't threatened by them. But the UB is most DEFINITELY perceived as a threat by that same Church. Why? I'll tell you. The UB presents a whole new way of looking at Christianity. One can continue to love and honour Jesus, even continue to read his Bible privately and in Bible studies. And one can even continue to go to Church, because one likes it, and because one continues to consider oneself a Christian, albeit a "Urantian Christian", or a "Urantian Catholic", as the case may be, the first designation applying mostly to Protestants.

The reason the Church would be so irate is simple, to wit:

Most UB believers would be judicious enough not to talk about their different beliefs with Church officials. But what about their friends? If a UB follower is a Christian, which most of them are, the Church then has to figure out just how orthodox or not a Christian he is! AND, if he tells all his friends about the book, and they are mostly Christian, then the Church really has a mess, because people's minds start changing about long-held beliefs.

If such a film came out, the Roman Church would rate it as "Morally Offensive". They would not outright forbid attendance, but they would denounce it. The Churches would do everything they could to smear the blame on everyone involved with the making of said film. "Who do they think they are, doing a film about a non-biblical Jesus?! How dare they?"

So no, I don't think we're ready for a film on the UB, @ least not yet.

PostPosted:  

Hi Coop, could you add a link to the film clip? (I just see an ugly placeholder for the Flash plugin and don't want to download that on this PC)

There have been quite a few unsanctioned films about Jesus and none of them seemed to have caused too serious an uproar. Witness Mel Gibson's production.

But even outside of any story of Jesus, the human history and cosmology of the UB are perfectly poised to give today's science fiction and historical adventure films a hyper-boost in material, moral thinking and imagination. I don't think it will be long before smart, in-the-know and creative producers start to pick up on UB themes. In some sense, Star Trek and Star Wars are bastardizations of certain concepts fostered in the revelation even if they aren't directly lifted from there.

PostPosted:  

Riktare wrote:
Hi Coop, could you add a link to the film clip? (I just see an ugly placeholder for the Flash plugin and don't want to download that on this PC)

When I click on the first video, I get a message that "this video does not exist".

Quote:
There have been quite a few unsanctioned films about Jesus and none of them seemed to have caused too serious an uproar. Witness Mel Gibson's production.

You will note that the reason why Mel Gibson's film was supported by the Church was because it followed the NT very closely, and, when it departed from the text at all, it did so in a manner that was entirely "orthodox", if you will. It broke no new ground whatsoever. It was very much like "King of Kings" or "Ben Hur" in that respect.

Quote:
But even outside of any story of Jesus, the human history and cosmology of the UB are perfectly poised to give today's science fiction and historical adventure films a hyper-boost in material, moral thinking and imagination. I don't think it will be long before smart, in-the-know and creative producers start to pick up on UB themes. In some sense, Star Trek and Star Wars are bastardizations of certain concepts fostered in the revelation even if they aren't directly lifted from there.

I am inclined to disagree with you regarding the idea that Star Trek and Star Wars are "bastardisations of certain concepts fostered in the revelation". There is absolutely no reason to assume that either Gene Roddenberry or George Lucas had even heard of the UB, let alone read it. Gene Roddenberry was a humanist, and who knows what George Lucas was.

i think the claim, or even suggestion, that either or both men had read part or all of the book is more the product of wishful thinking than anything else. I am not saying this to denigrate the book in any way. I merely don't think that it should be given credit for franchises (film and television) that it had nothing to do with creating.

Now, could the cosmology of the UB be made into an interesting film for sci-fi purposes? Yes, I expect it could. After all, we won't KNOW for certain whether the cosmology of the book is true until we die. So until we are gone to glory, what we read in the book must be taken with a certain amount of Faith, as must any religious or quasi-religious book.

Is the human history of the book accurate? Well, that is a very good question, isn't it? Obviously, we have no PROOF that Adam and Eve existed, or that the Lucifer Rebellion took place, or that Andon and Fonta were the first persons, and so-forth. It might make a heck of an interesting story for film, but i don't think you could market it as a documentary. At most, you could market it as speculative fiction, historical and sci-fi.

The benefit to speculative fiction is that you are proposing something that has the strong possibility, at least, of being true in the present, past, or future. In other words, its not manifold BS just designed for entertainment, but is in fact intended to educate, at least to a point.

I mean, in the 1960's, Captain Kirk whipped out a hand-held communications device to contact the ship or other people for information or to issue orders, or for beam-up. Now we have Smart Phones that will do everything that Kirk's communicator would do, at last terrestrially speaking (the only reason it won't do Earth to orbit communication is two fold; one, we haven't needed it yet, and two, we would not be able to use standard telephony at that point.

At present, i must end. I look forward to hearing your responses.

PostPosted:  

I have seen it mentioned more than once that Gene Roddenberry was actually aware of TUB.. along with Jimmi Hendrix.. so far they seem like fanciful rumors. As far as I know these have never been verified.

I would disagree, however, that Star Trek in particular does not share a lot of themes from TUB. Some examples of convergence are:

1. The Prime Directive: A basic respect for the dignity of any planet and its intelligent species. The recognition that evolution is the best method for progress and that arbitrary intervention nearly always backfires (of course this generates lots of plots where they act in contradiction to the prime directive, but it is a very major theme in the show). It compares to restraint that our stewards show.
  2. There is one exception to this that's OK-- that's when an intelligent species reaches a certain phase of development and acquires warp drive. Then they join "the club" and those who previously let them live in their bubble intervene and expand their awareness of cosmic realities. This compares to the epochal revelations with the Prince and his staff when will-creature status is attained, Adam and Eve when biologic development has reached its maximum, and so on.
  3. The concept of cooperation and confederation of very, very different types of species. We are told of this in TUB, and the Constellation Headquarters worlds are where I imagine things will get real interesting.
  4. The recognition of the fundamental equality between men and women and all human races, essentially a spiritual awareness of this fact.
  5. While the cosmology is vast, most travel at warp speed only occurs in this galaxy [i.e. superuniverse].
  6. In certain episodes there is the recognition that all life comes from a single source. Very common theme in sci fi where there is this "ancient" race that begat all the modern ones through some sort of engineering. Reminds me of the Life Carriers.

I could probably go on but that's what comes to mind immediately. That Roddenberry was or was not a humanist, to me, is irrelevant to the fact that truths of the blue book are found within the universe and stories of that one show.

As far as Star Wars... ehh.. not so much. :)

PostPosted:  

I believe Jimmi Hendrix was aware of the book. As for Roddenberry, having been a Trekkie since I was 12, and being 41 now, well, I don't see evidence of it.

You are certainly right that there are similarities. But those similarities could have been arrived at by independent means, as there were many people that worked on the plots for various episodes of Star Trek, not just the old Series, but all of them, and the films as well. And any person with an ounce of morality knows, after the kind of damage Europe managed to do to Natives in Australia, Africa, and the Americas, that interfering in the lives of different people can really eff those people up!

So I am personally inclined to think that it is more likely that Roddenberry had a team of very talented people who came up with the morals and ethics of a futuristic community of people. But, that is just my point of view, of course.

PostPosted:  

Truth is truth regardless of the source. I do not assert anyone associated with ST used TUB as source material. My point is merely that the show hits on quite a few similarities and does a service for future readers by priming their minds for these realities. You could attribute it to the cosmic mind, for all I care. :)

BTW if the lesson on nonintervention was so obvious then why is there still military and covert intervention on a global scale to this day? Obviously those people think action is wiser than inaction. I'm not so sure it's "obvious" to most people.

PostPosted:  

Yaakov001 wrote:
I believe Jimmi Hendrix was aware of the book. As for Roddenberry, having been a Trekkie since I was 12, and being 41 now, well, I don't see evidence of it.

You are certainly right that there are similarities. But those similarities could have been arrived at by independent means, as there were many people that worked on the plots for various episodes of Star Trek, not just the old Series, but all of them, and the films as well. And any person with an ounce of morality knows, after the kind of damage Europe managed to do to Natives in Australia, Africa, and the Americas, that interfering in the lives of different people can really eff those people up!

So I am personally inclined to think that it is more likely that Roddenberry had a team of very talented people who came up with the morals and ethics of a futuristic community of people. But, that is just my point of view, of course.

Actually Gene Roddenberry lost control of the Star Trek story line very early on in the beginning of the Series', but he did present his version as he wanted it to be presented, where his widow produced two five year Series, posthumously from his notes and writings which he indicated that there was a lot more in the archives, as he put it. These two Series were produced in Canada as "Earth: Final Conflict" and "Andromeda". The Andromeda Series, is not that much of a parallel to the Urantia Book but does seem to present inter-associations with various races and conflicts in the universe. The Series "Earth: Final conflict", is evidence that Gene had used the Urantia Book as a basis for all of the script within the Series, where it would seem that he had presented his understanding of the time as presented at the time of the Prince of Urantia coming to Earth, and what occurred as to its downfall. I have both of these Series on DVD, and the last one mentioned, starts off with eight foot tale, translucent violet aliens coming to Earth with a staff numbering just over one hundred. Also, he presents the Thought Adjuster as a device implanted in the brains of various humans chosen as guardians to this Alien race. You would need to watch this Series, where one who has read the UB would see its association contained within.

There are some episodes of Star Trek Series' which have some association to the UB but, because Gene lost control of its content, they took on context which was out of sequence and would contain the various plots from the "Andromeda" within some of their content.