The Urantia Book Organizations - page 15 | Urantia Book Forum |

Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:13 pm +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted:  

@brad I was talking about people who are actually employed by the foundation/fellowship. It's a very small number. I don't consider people who donate money or host study groups as people who are employed by the foundation or fellowship. I don't consider people who get monthly emails from the foundation as being necessarily affiliated with them either. They all have their own ideology. TUB readers are for the most part all doing their own thing with the book. There is nobody taking orders or anything like that. It's a wide open field.

Thehapyandefectivepersonismotivatednotbyfearofwrongdoingbutby
loveofrightdoing

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted:  

It is true that all the major organizations have very small paid staff budgets and administrative cost structures. This does not come close though to the number of folks who work as volunteers (including some with hundreds of hours every year) and aside from the donor bases. There are members, donors, volunteers, and staff....each a declining number but not so insignificant as you might think. But I do agree that the vast majority of UB students are not directly affiliated by membership, donations, or volunteerism....yet. But my membership # in one such group is 7587 and it is the smallest such membership group. Friends of the Foundation is a very large number.

And yes, all of us have our own "ideology" and personal philosophy and religious experience. That doesn't mean there isn't a lot of agreement and cooperation on many levels.

For those so inclined there are many opportunities to support many groups in service to the Revelation's dissemination.

8) Brad

PostPosted:  

It looks as if I can add a comment to this discussion of the various organizations that comprise the collective human efforts to disseminate and interpret The Urantia Book after all these years. I so enjoyed reading this thread!

It seems to me that regardless of the varying missions and mortal processes that each organization is engaged in, the important part is a unity based on the original words of truth, beauty and goodness found on the pages themselves. As long as the words are not altered beyond correct spelling and grammar, I am willing to read one book as much as any other.

As valuable as it may have been for The Foundation to protect the language and completeness of presentation against usurpation by messianics, self-aggrandizers and clapped-out science fiction writers, the essential loss could well have been the uniformity of thought that Michael was so concerned with avoiding. He called for unity, not uniformity. The correct words can be verified; the interpretation that anyone attaches is a vital part of what every true religion requires to endure: evolution.

For example, I am constantly chagrined at the paternocentric nature of the papers; "When man realizes. . ."; "What mankind needs. . ."; "He (referring to God) never falters. . ." Such a temptation to want to de-gender all the language! When try to explain this incredible book to others, I do my best to avoid gender-based pronouns when inappropriate in today's world. But I am going to let someone else battle for that update. I know what the revelators meant, and I convey that to all that will listen. But rest assured, if and when that version emerges, I'm going to insist (and depend) on it being vetted by my brothers and sisters as to accuracy to the original text.

What I think important is that UB believers keep their thoughts attuned to the evolutionary process that close to sixty years of public exposure (and the illustration above) is bringing on us. That's three generations. The Catholic Church (as the "first church") and Christianity in general, provides us with an eloquent warning as to what happens as soon as a revelation is given to the lowest order of personality-beings in the universe: We screw it up. Before Micheal even ascended to the "right hand of the father", the religion of Jesus was becoming the religion about Jesus.

The religion of Jesus is extraordinarily simple: God is your spiritual father, therefore all mortals are your brothers and sisters. All you need to enter "the kingdom" - including an option for eternal life - is to sincerely believe in the first sentence. All you need to advance in "the kingdom" - growing closer to God, insuring eternal life - is to serve the other mortals in the first sentence. No popes, no saints, no animalistic atonement doctrine. No suppression of women, no church involvement in material and political aspects of human life vicissitudes. No spooky Eucharist with all the transubstantiation issues. Just a meal, among friends, in honor of Jesus from time to time.

Today, I just assume that the 5th epochal revelation is vulnerable to the same influences - even though the book itself trys to innoculate us from letting creeds and rituals and other formalistic elements turn a living religion into a dead one.

So my advice is to not worry about differences in approach and doctrine among the various collective entities promulgating the Urantia Book. Assess them all! But in the end, read the words, pray on them and depend on your Mystery Monitor to guide you unerringly in in the right direction. The important thing is what the Urantia Book means to you.

PostPosted:  

Oh hey, the first reason for the lack of inclusion & coordination comes from Urantia Foundation's nondeviation from its primary mission to retain the text of the Urantia Papers in tact according to the colloquial of Chicago-American English language of 1935. They do not partake seriously of their secondary mission to nurture and foster the development of community and state Urantia Fellowships.

The Urantia Foundation is therefore no longer entirely a fellowship, but a framework or reference point for other fellowships.

It is interesting when you attest that you had eretofore recognised Jesusonian truthbook.com as being the primary group who is preserving & promulgating the manifesto of the first Urantia Foundation. That is the issue of world-leadership. We do not ask do compete with the Urantia Foundation, but according to God's will, we seek to secure the foothold and root of the Urantia Papers teaching in the now world-community. There is no wresting or vying for control, but every group recognises that there is a seraphic planetary ministry helping individuals with sincere intentions to achieve the fruits of their faith. I personally look to that organisation as having already fulfilled its mission, whether it currently prospers or is dormant.