Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:06 am +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
PostPosted:  

YSMAEL wrote:
Imagine, how these crises can better be solved with a truly United Nation of Urantia to solve them. I wish I would live long enough to see its formation.

What organizations on earth today would you trust to implement it properly?

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted:  

Yoder wrote:
Quote:

None. I would like to see the leaders of nations to come together and proposed the creation of a United Nations of Urantia on the same pattern like the creation of the United States of America but on a global scale.

PostPosted:  

I am pretty sure a world government wouldn't work right now. People in all these uncivilized countries would still war with each other and there would still be the same problems. There is no system that can fix the major issues with the world. Its only fixable by the people evolving themselves.

Thehapyandefectivepersonismotivatednotbyfearofwrongdoingbutby
loveofrightdoing

PostPosted:  

Maybe no political system can fix the ills of the world right now or even into the foresee-able future (because some elements may be incapable of evolving). But true leaders could take a much stronger stance in today's United Nations and other multi-national organizations. I truly believe that, for example, Ukraine's problem will never be resolved by sanctions. The intercession of NATO will absolutely become necessary if the Ukraine as a nation is to truly become independent. Similarly for Iraq, help from outside will be required to prevent "dark ages" from being established there.

PostPosted:  

Being neither an interventionist nor an isolationist, I find it difficult to see the way forward due to two factors: first, I agree with boom that no one can truly import civilization into a nation that is uncivilized socially and politically (military supported authoritarianism is a "forced" "peace" which is not peaceful at all but crushes opposition - both good and bad opposition equally); and second, that all interventionism seems, still, to be motivated, not by peace but by special, personal, and national interests of other affected parties. Chaos results most often, and/or total dependence for functional civilization on those unwilling to sustain it. The UN seems a toothless kitten militarily and those nations which can pay for, arm, and man this international police force are quite paranoid about their own loss of influence and nationalistic autonomies to pony up the money and manpower with the current voting and veto powers currently in force.

Can we protect people from themselves culturally and enforce a set of human rights that these "victims" are not ready to employ, even when peace and plenty might come? Can we prevent African tribalism and the civil war between Shiite and Sunni - a self inflicted conflict that is the root of the Mideast crisis? Can we make Palestinians accept the Israeli real estate deal from the 40s as imposed by the colonialists and imperialists? Can we "free" the North Koreans from their self enforced subjugation and starvation and isolation?

After more than 2 centuries of the constitutional authority to correct such injustice as is directly addressed in that document, the US still does not support, by government and ethics of the general population, an end to racism and sexism and fair labor practice and fair tax laws, still remaining in the grip of industrialists and their profits....which certainly includes war....but not peace. Even medicine profits by treatment far more than by cures (precisely the same motive as our military industrial complex). Confounding.

I offer this though for our mutual hope from the paper on our neighboring planet:

(820.3) 72:12.5 The pouring out of the Spirit of Truth provides the spiritual foundation for the realization of great achievements in the interests of the human race of the bestowal world. Urantia is therefore far better prepared for the more immediate realization of a planetary government with its laws, mechanisms, symbols, conventions, and language — all of which could contribute so mightily to the establishment of world-wide peace under law and could lead to the sometime dawning of a real age of spiritual striving; and such an age is the planetary threshold to the utopian ages of light and life.

Brad :roll:

PostPosted:  

And then too, prospective leaders are plagued by an unrecognized policy of "leadership by wishful thinking", especially in the U.S. and Europe which obviously back-fires. Facing reality and developing feasible solutions to difficult problems is something that engineers are radically better at than politicians. The talent is there but the organization is lacking...

PostPosted:  

YSMAEL wrote:
Yoder wrote:
Quote:

None. I would like to see the leaders of nations to come together and proposed the creation of a United Nations of Urantia on the same pattern like the creation of the United States of America but on a global scale.

Byron Belitsos, a Urantian who has appeared on Coast to Coast AM, wrote a book on how a one world democracy is possible:

http://www.amazon.com/One-World-Democra ... n+belitsos

Quote:
The definitive account for our time of how humanity can abolish war by transforming the United Nations into an effective world democracy. One World Democracy presents the only viable long-term solution to today’s most urgent global problems: democratic world government and the rule of enforceable global law—a federation of all nations. After centuries of warfare, Europe has accomplished just such a transformation by outlawing war between the member states of the European Union. This book shows how to do the same thing at the global level through implementing the only time-tested solution to violence and injustice—law and democratic government. Humanity has a sovereign right to govern itself; read this book to find out how we can create a new social contract for the entire planet.
http://www.amazon.com/One-World-Democra ... n+belitsos

PostPosted:  

The authors of TUB do say that a league of nations is a step in the right direction and that it can prevent many small wars but that it is helpless against preventing massive world wars. So while the UN is not perfect it is something that is moving in the right direction.

But I don't think places like Iraq can function without a dictator. That seems to be the only way to keep peace in a country where the people are uncivilized. Adam and Eve had to abandon giving democracy to the surrounding tribes and had to settle with a monarchy. Not even having superhumans present could transform a primitive people into a civilized people over night. These process' take thousands of years of evolutional development.

The hope for our world right now IMO is for the people who are capable of being civilized realizing their immediate potential with the help of revelation. If there is wise leadership in place that would immediately solve a lot of problems.

Thehapyandefectivepersonismotivatednotbyfearofwrongdoingbutby
loveofrightdoing

PostPosted:  

This documentary sums up the modern conditions better than anything else I've seen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AanQ2mY2jjc

I can't recommend it enough.

PostPosted:  

Thanks for the link Yoder777. The video is very long so I haven't had the time to view it. It sounds intriguing though.

By the way, I only recently heard that the president won the Noble prize in 2009 specifically because he portrayed the international type of leadership that the committee desires. With even greater challenges happening now we can only hope that outstanding and effective efforts will rise to meet the occasion.

http://www.nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/ ... press.html

Quote:
The Norwegian Nobel Committee has decided that the Nobel Peace Prize for 2009 is to be awarded to President Barack Obama for his extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation between peoples. The Committee has attached special importance to Obama's vision of and work for a world without nuclear weapons.

Obama has as President created a new climate in international politics. Multilateral diplomacy has regained a central position, with emphasis on the role that the United Nations and other international institutions can play. Dialogue and negotiations are preferred as instruments for resolving even the most difficult international conflicts. The vision of a world free from nuclear arms has powerfully stimulated disarmament and arms control negotiations. Thanks to Obama's initiative, the USA is now playing a more constructive role in meeting the great climatic challenges the world is confronting. Democracy and human rights are to be strengthened.

PostPosted:  

Interesting thread.

Yes, a one-world government that ended war, represented all, and took care of the needs of all sounds great. However, it is a far cry from our reality today.

As other posters have mentioned, the world is currently controlled by a small group of financial elite. They control the political systems, the media, and manipulate the masses into complacency and wage slavery. They have power and they will seek to maintain that power. One does not need to be a conspiracy theorist but only to know history to understand that Power seeks to increase its power and does not give up its power voluntarily.

How can an individual or group of individuals combat this? In other countries, if you stand up against power you get tortured and killed. In the USA, we have more rights but you can be harassed, lose your job, be imprisoned, or killed here too.

That doesn’t mean you throw up your hands in surrender, but it does mean accepting what little power you have in the grand scheme of things and working to improve what you can in your sphere of influence.

I am of the belief that we are in the throes of the end of a cycle of time and the beginning of a new one. The world is changing. The energies are changing – I can actually feel this in my body. I believe the hearts and minds of the people are changing; our consciousness is evolving; we are becoming more spiritual and recognizing our divinity. This is a very polarizing experience, where some people change and others are stuck in the old ways, hence the appearance of more conflict and dissension in the world.

It is only when we all recognize our unity and that we are our brothers keepers that any type of positive world government can be implemented.

Until then – before a change in our hearts on a mass scale– any world government would just be a tool for the elite to control humanity.

*P.S. I have seen Thrive and enjoyed it.

PostPosted:  

BigAl wrote:
… As other posters have mentioned, the world is currently controlled by a small group of financial elite. They control the political systems, the media, and manipulate the masses into complacency and wage slavery. …
Hi BigAl, Where exactly did "other posters" state that "the world is currently controlled by a small group of financial elite" (i.e., the Thrive perspective)? I think this thread indicates that such a view is very questionable and not at all supported by The Urantia Book..

PostPosted:  

The Most Highs Rule in the Kingdoms of Men .

114:4.4 "A Most High observer is empowered, at his discretion, to seize the planetary government in times of grave planetary crises, and it is of record that this has happened thirty-three times in the history of Urantia. At such times the Most High observer functions as the Most High regent, exercising unquestioned authority over all ministers and administrators resident on the planet excepting only the divisional organization of the archangels".

PostPosted:  

From the UB:

(1086.4) 99:1.1 Mechanical inventions and the dissemination of knowledge are modifying civilization; certain economic adjustments and social changes are imperative if cultural disaster is to be avoided. This new and oncoming social order will not settle down complacently for a millennium. The human race must become reconciled to a procession of changes, adjustments, and readjustments. Mankind is on the march toward a new and unrevealed planetary destiny.

Since a millennium is one thousand years I have to imagine that when we try to understand the UB we are considerably "off target" when it comes to time frames. From this paragraph I gather that we have little insight into the actual time needed for significant change to take place. This time frame is on the order of thirty generations or more.

I gather that not only are we on the march, we have just taken off from the starting line.
I also keep this philosophy that our world is truly not ready for the Urantia Book. At least not for some time. I think that this "readiness" may take several generations--long after we're dead and gone. The book itself will keep it's own flame.

PostPosted:  

I never said that the belief in a financial elite was the consensus on this thread, only that others had mentioned it. But if you want, you can say it started with me because I don't see how any discussion of the New World Order would be complete without it. I think it's also a mistake to think that just because the financial elite aren't mentioned directly in the Urantia Book that they don't exist.

To the larger point:
Quote:
P597:3, 52:6.2 Even on normal evolutionary worlds the realization of the world-wide brotherhood of man is not an easy accomplishment. On a confused and disordered planet like Urantia such an achievement requires a much longer time and necessitates far greater effort. Unaided social evolution can hardly achieve such happy results on a spiritually isolated sphere. Religious revelation is essential to the realization of brotherhood on Urantia. While Jesus has shown the way to the immediate attainment of spiritual brotherhood, the realization of social brotherhood on your world depends much on the achievement of the following personal transformations and planetary adjustments:

We haven't reached that world-wide brotherhood of man yet.

The United Nations, the closest institution we have to an actual world government was only established in 1945. How effective it is I'll leave as an open question. But does the UN give smaller countries an equal voice in world government? Or do the major powers - especially the United States - do what they want anyway? I think the UN is a step in the right direction but until the mass of humanity changes consciousness and realizes world-wide brotherhood, it will not be successful as a representative institution that is an instrument for peace and equality.

There are also the global institutions of the World Bank and the IMF. Are these good or bad? Cynics can easily argue that these institutions do more harm than good, getting countries to invest in unneeded infrastructure projects and loading them up with debt. (Try reading "Confessions of an Economic Hitman" by John Perkins.)

And don't forget representative democracy in the United States itself has been seriously compromised by recent Supreme Court rulings that have elevated the power of corporations and wealthy individuals over the average citizen.

It may be worth mentioning that the Doomsday Clock, a symbolic clock representing a countdown to global catastrophe, was just moved to 3 minutes on January 22, 2015. While purely symbolic, it does remind us that there is still a real threat of nuclear war and we have failed to address global climate change.

The human race has a lot of personal transformation still to do.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next