Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:46 pm +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted:  

As I was reading through the Book, I came across this term, and I really want to understand it. What is Impersonal?

The book fairly explains pre-personal, personal, and superpersonal, but nothing so concrete on Impersonal. Can anyone help?

This is where I first came across it

Quote:
0:1.17 Divinity is creature comprehensible as truth, beauty, and goodness; correlated in personality as love, mercy, and ministry; disclosed on impersonal levels as justice, power, and sovereignty.

I really don't get it :roll:

And while we are at it, maybe expound on the subject of personality, Pre and super!

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted:  

Think of it like this.....

You have a Personal relationship with your wife or girl friend, but you have a prepesonal relationship with the president of the nation, although much of what he does can and does affect you.

does that work for you?

PostPosted:  

Well the Thought Adjuster is impersonal. The thought adjuster does not have a personality but he/she/it does love you. The Thought Adjuster has divine feelings. It seems to be a middle ground of sort between nonpersonal and personal. I would say the best way to understand what impersonal is, would be to look at all the attributes and almost personal attributes of the Adjuster. There is even a huge description of the Adjuster so badly wanting to help us.

Quote:
And third, there are the impersonal Mystery Monitors, Thought Adjusters, the actual gift of the great God himself sent to indwell such as the humans of Urantia, sent without announcement and without explanation.

Thehapyandefectivepersonismotivatednotbyfearofwrongdoingbutby
loveofrightdoing

PostPosted:  

I think impersonal is a term that includes both prepersonal and nonpersonal. E.g., Thought Adjusters are called both impersonal (2:1.7) and prepersonal (0:2.3). The Unqualified Absolute is called impersonal and nonpersonal (0:11.7) ..

PostPosted:  

Hmm..very interesting points, Bart's observation is really intriguing. So the Impersonal is not an unqualified state on its own, its actually associative ! or Relative!

Which makes sense when attributing it to Justice, Power, and Sovereignty! Somehow ! :|

This is getting very interesting!
I did a word search on "impersonal" using the search engine provided on the truth-book website,

here:
http://truthbook.com/search/UBParagraphs_VSearchForm.cfm
not surprisingly it didn't get many results, but a fair amount to work with...

There is only one entry of it in the INDEX
http://urantia-book.org/urantiabook/topical_index/79.htm#impersonal_the
which leads to the following:

107:7.4 Why then, if Thought Adjusters possess volition, are they subservient to the mortal will? We believe it is because Adjuster volition, though absolute in nature, is prepersonal in manifestation. Human will functions on the personality level of universe reality, and throughout the cosmos the impersonal -- the nonpersonal, the subpersonal, and the prepersonal -- is ever responsive to the will and acts of existent personality.

Why did they place "Impersonal" before the rest, and they separated them by two dashes, what does that mean ? Is it like saying that the impersonal domain encompasses The nonpersonal, subpersonal, and prepersonal ?!

Now I will keep looking through the other hits found by the search engine, maybe something will come up .

I am starting to think that the best way to understand the "Impersonal" , is to start as JB started, and that is by getting a concrete grasp on the "Personal", and the IM-personal, would simply be deduced there from.

PostPosted:  

Thought Adjuster relationship has been described as pre-personal in the Urantia Book, rather than impersonal.

Impersonal relationship refers moreso to the laws of nature, things that affect whole populations and collective. The power directors, transformers, and the flow of energy dynamic is something that flows the same way throughout the entire universe.

In the justice system, decrees and ordinances agreed by the greater majority of the republic are supposed to be enforced without favoritism. To the extent that punishments and rewards are promulgated equably, and is enforced without regard to the position and rank of a person, is impersonal.

This is the way distributive justice and the habits of God affect us all, in the impersonal sense.

PostPosted:  

SEla_Kelly wrote:
Thought Adjuster relationship has been described as pre-personal in the Urantia Book, rather than impersonal.

Impersonal relationship refers moreso to the laws of nature, things that affect whole populations and collective. The power directors, transformers, and the flow of energy dynamic is something that flows the same way throughout the entire universe.

In the justice system, decrees and ordinances agreed by the greater majority of the republic are supposed to be enforced without favoritism. To the extent that punishments and rewards are promulgated equably, and is enforced without regard to the position and rank of a person, is impersonal.

This is the way distributive justice and the habits of God affect us all, in the impersonal sense.

Hi SEIa_Kelly,
I agree the terms carry different meanings. I have thought of the TA as a pre-marriage relationship, in the courting phase. We are engaged to our Thought Adjuster awaiting and anticipating an eternal marriage. I am married now so I guess that would make me a potential bigamist. My wife is OK with that though because she is in the same situation. :smile:

PostPosted:  

I like what SEIa_Kelly says. It reminded me of the bible and UB quote about Father being no respecter of persons....the rain falls on the just and unjust alike. The TAs are personalized upon fusion. But being described as both pre- and impersonal must describe different attributes some diety forms possess - being more than one in different situations or more than one all the time? Is personality "personal"? Or is selfhood, character, and relationships that which is personal? How'd I miss this thread? Very interesting.