Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:22 am +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted:  

Unfortunately according to Gabriel... He is the source here on Earth, his camps are full of followers that have given up every thing to be bound to his every whim. So very sad.

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted:  

I personally believe that the Urantia Book IS sacred. (Was that #5 on your credo list?)

And what is missing from those items, is the dedication of each soul to manifest the will that effulges from the Original Source. You have left out the prospect for direct spiritual revelation for every believer, through personal experience.

And what is missing from these items, if your statement is truly representative of congregational views, is the invitation for Christ Michael to enter into the hearts of believers, and to implore God to sent the Spirit of Truth into the social fabric of our world.

This is CLEARLY an adaptation from evolutionary religion. I remember with my brother one day, I began to recite the first few words (of the "Apostle's" Creed), and we both began to latently recite the whole thing, as in a trance. Affirmations? +++ Creeds? meant to be scrutinized and questioned, not memorized and recited

PostPosted:  

J Barry
Sounds like that "movement" is like Waco Texas or Antelope Oregon about about 30 years back.
Branch Davidum/ Bhagwan Rashneesh.
There is that sort of thing rearing it's head every so often. How about Rev. Moon?
Cultism!
8)

PostPosted:  

If we look at World History, Why would we think our U.B. would be any different that any others.

Christianity took a very long time to take hold, and those that believed in the early days after Christ ascended were killed and fed to the Lions, tortured and publicly humiliated.

Same with many other new faiths that have made it through the test of time, they all endured much suffering.

But we are not readers of a New Faith, we are readers of added insight to be addendum to Faiths that already exist. and if one wished to take up the Cup of personal Faith walk, than they see no need to follow any one else Religion, for they have discovered the True Religion of Walking with God in they're Daily life. That is the wisdom of knowing God, that it is personal and individual, which will transform that person to become a noticeable reflection of God. Like it said in the U.B. People were impressed by him more as he walk by. How one carry's then selves.

Every Book out in the world that has spoke of enlightenment has been abused by the Fantasy seekers out there. the U.B. is no different. it is Naive to think the U.B. is so well written that it would be immune to them, and to think those whom ever do abuse it will still be doing Gods will is foolish thinking.

Mans hands are corrupt, it will take a long time before we can truly be free from evil and be gracefully doing Gods will.

PostPosted:  

Yes Slyde,
For those of us 50 + years we have seen many Cultist groups come and go.
We have the experience to know it is a part of this world and we have to be patient as this young planet go though the many growing pains to be come Mature enough to stop acting out such foolishness.

PostPosted:  

The fact of the matter is that the Urantia Book has not generated a large following because of the "slow growth" policy. While this policy was done with good intentions, the results, I believe, are going to be disastrous. It is indeed noble that so many are "devout" yet no formal church or religion has sprung up because of the Revelation. The lives of those that read it are forever changed for the better and this adds credibility to the truth content of the UB. It is amazing that so many of us consider this an addendum to their current religion than a separate religion in and of itself. Institutionalized religions breed intolerance and favor the crystallization of truth.

That being said, "slow growth" was never a policy initiated by the Revelators or endorsed in the Urantia Book. It is a product of reason and not a divine commission. In my opinion, slow growth is damaging the revelation. Evolution is inevitable, but stagnation is a choice.

The Apostles went out to the four corners of the earth and preached the gospel without fear, even in the face of humiliation and death. They did this because of what the Master taught them and what they had witnessed. They did this immediately after receiving the Spirit of Truth. Albeit in their excitement they accidentally created a religion about Jesus instead of spreading the religion of Jesus. Yet we have advantages they did not have: we know what mistakes they made and we have less of a chance of repeating them, and we have the entirety of the Urantia Book in printed form over 500,000 times over. The UB can still remain inviolate.

In comparison to the Apostles, we do not have great religious teachers walking the streets and preaching the love of God to all people and inviting them to grow in Spirit through the study of the most amazing book ever written. We have cult leaders who use the incomparable teachings of the Urantia Book to further their own worldly ends. To me this is the greatest evidence of the failure of the slow growth policy.

I would like to add that the Uranita Book may indeed be sacred, but I only included that part to guard against making the book a fetish and not embracing the teachings themselves. It also serves to remind people that all sacred texts have been touched by human hands.

We do not truly have knowledge unless it is shared. It has been nearly 60 years since the publication of the Urantia Book, and I believe it is high time that students everywhere unite under the banner of the Fatherhood of God and the Brotherhood of man, and we unashamedly proclaim that we (Urantia) have been given a new Revelation of truth. A statement of faith that is in universal acceptance between those that know the teachings of the Uranita Book well and accept them may go a long way toward that goal.

PostPosted:  

What good can it brings to the movement? What is the worst possibility should a creed is adopted? The fault lies with creed itself or the people?
If it do god and helps the movement, should it still be disapprove.
What do you believe?- what is your personal self-formulated creed. nobody can escape from some form of creed, one way or another.
the billions of people has creed as the pillar for their faith and finds it helpful vs those against it.

UB- regardless of our attitude towards the revelation(UB), religions, creed and dogmas, spiritual status, the march of progress towards the plan of perfection/salvation would still proceed and it shall be done; therefore, what does it matter if we have a creed or not.

PostPosted:  

The authors use the word slow to describe evolution. They also say it is terribly effective even though its slow. So it would seem that slow evolutionary growth is sponsorsed by the authors. Caligastia is a good example of impatience. He wanted everything now. Same with Lucifer.

Thehapyandefectivepersonismotivatednotbyfearofwrongdoingbutby
loveofrightdoing

PostPosted:  

There Are NO Shortcuts

WE Each Must DO Our Own Part On Our Path .

Progress and Evolution ARE The Watchwords

Of Our Ascension Journey.

the watchword of the universe is progress?

4:1.2 Can you not advance in your concept of God’s dealing with man to that level where you recognize that the watchword of the universe is progress? Through long ages the human race has struggled to reach its present position. Throughout all these millenniums Providence has been working out the plan of progressive evolution. The two thoughts are not opposed in practice, only in man’s mistaken concepts. Divine providence is never arrayed in opposition to true human progress, either temporal or spiritual. Providence is always consistent with the unchanging and perfect nature of the supreme Lawmaker.

5:4.8 The Greek religion had a watchword “Know yourself”; the Hebrews centered their teaching on “Know your God”; the Christians preach a gospel aimed at a “knowledge of the Lord Jesus Christ”; Jesus proclaimed the good news of “knowing God, and yourself as a son of God.” These differing concepts of the purpose of religion determine the individual’s attitude in various life situations and foreshadow the depth of worship and the nature of his personal habits of prayer. The spiritual status of any religion may be determined by the nature of its prayers.

50:5.7 4. The quest for knowledge and wisdom. Food, security, pleasure, and leisure provide the foundation for the development of culture and the spread of knowledge. The effort to execute knowledge results in wisdom, and when a culture has learned how to profit and improve by experience, civilization has really arrived. Food, security, and material comfort still dominate society, but many forward-looking individuals are hungering for knowledge and thirsting for wisdom. Every child is provided an opportunity to learn by doing; education is the watchword of these ages.

100:7.15 His courage was magnificent, but he was never foolhardy. His watchword was, “Fear not.” His bravery was lofty and his courage often heroic. But his courage was linked with discretion and controlled by reason. It was courage born of faith, not the recklessness of blind presumption. He was truly brave but never audacious.

140:8.20 Jesus did not attack the teachings of the Hebrew prophets or the Greek moralists. The Master recognized the many good things which these great teachers stood for, but he had come down to earth to teach something additional, “the voluntary conformity of man’s will to God’s will.” Jesus did not want simply to produce a religious man, a mortal wholly occupied with religious feelings and actuated only by spiritual impulses. Could you have had but one look at him, you would have known that Jesus was a real man of great experience in the things of this world. The teachings of Jesus in this respect have been grossly perverted and much misrepresented all down through the centuries of the Christian era; you have also held perverted ideas about the Master’s meekness and humility. What he aimed at in his life appears to have been a superb self-respect. He only advised man to humble himself that he might become truly exalted; what he really aimed at was true humility toward God. He placed great value upon sincerity — a pure heart. Fidelity was a cardinal virtue in his estimate of character, while courage was the very heart of his teachings. “Fear not” was his watchword, and patient endurance his ideal of strength of character. The teachings of Jesus constitute a religion of valor, courage, and heroism. And this is just why he chose as his personal representatives twelve commonplace men, the majority of whom were rugged, virile, and manly fishermen.

Last edited by coop on Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:58 am +0000, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted:  

Hi LWatson. TUB defines the term creed as any formulation of what some group of mortals agree upon as a common religious attitude; whereas faith stands for the individual’s (personal) relation to God. Faith cannot be communicated in words or language. And (spiritual) goals rather than creeds should unify religionists. And if you have faith, then keep it to yourself ..
Quote:
99:5.7 Just as certainly as men share their religious beliefs, they create a religious group of some sort which eventually creates common goals. Someday religionists will get together and actually effect co-operation on the basis of unity of ideals and purposes rather than attempting to do so on the basis of psychological opinions and theological beliefs. Goals rather than creeds should unify religionists. Since true religion is a matter of personal spiritual experience, it is inevitable that each individual religionist must have his own and personal interpretation of the realization of that spiritual experience. Let the term “faith” stand for the individual’s relation to God rather than for the creedal formulation of what some group of mortals have been able to agree upon as a common religious attitude. “Have you faith? Then have it to yourself.”

99:5.8 That faith is concerned only with the grasp of ideal values is shown by the New Testament definition which declares that faith is the substance of things hoped for and the evidence of things not seen.

99:5.9 Primitive man made little effort to put his religious convictions into words. His religion was danced out rather than thought out. Modern men have thought out many creeds and created many tests of religious faith. Future religionists must live out their religion, dedicate themselves to the wholehearted service of the brotherhood of man. It is high time that man had a religious experience so personal and so sublime that it could be realized and expressed only by "feelings that lie too deep for words."

99:5.10 Jesus did not require of his followers that they should periodically assemble and recite a form of words indicative of their common beliefs. He only ordained that they should gather together to actually do something—partake of the communal supper of the remembrance of his bestowal life on Urantia.

99:5.11 What a mistake for Christians to make when, in presenting Christ as the supreme ideal of spiritual leadership, they dare to require God-conscious men and women to reject the historic leadership of the God-knowing men who have contributed to their particular national or racial illumination during past ages.

PostPosted:  

AMEN ! 8)

PostPosted:  

Spiritual Unity

''What I require of you, my apostles, is spirit unity — and that you can experience in the joy of your united dedication to the wholehearted doing of the will of my Father in heaven. You do not have to see alike or feel alike or even think alike in order spiritually to be alike. Spiritual unity is derived from the consciousness that each of you is indwelt, and increasingly dominated, by the spirit gift of the heavenly Father.''

141:5.0 5. Spiritual Unity

141:5.1 One of the most eventful of all the evening conferences at Amathus was the session having to do with the discussion of spiritual unity. James Zebedee had asked, “Master, how shall we learn to see alike and thereby enjoy more harmony among ourselves?” When Jesus heard this question, he was stirred within his spirit, so much so that he replied: “James, James, when did I teach you that you should all see alike? I have come into the world to proclaim spiritual liberty to the end that mortals may be empowered to live individual lives of originality and freedom before God. I do not desire that social harmony and fraternal peace shall be purchased by the sacrifice of free personality and spiritual originality. What I require of you, my apostles, is spirit unity — and that you can experience in the joy of your united dedication to the wholehearted doing of the will of my Father in heaven. You do not have to see alike or feel alike or even think alike in order spiritually to be alike. Spiritual unity is derived from the consciousness that each of you is indwelt, and increasingly dominated, by the spirit gift of the heavenly Father. Your apostolic harmony must grow out of the fact that the spirit hope of each of you is identical in origin, nature, and destiny.

PostPosted:  

As one who has often gone back and forth between "all or nothing", my current feeling (subject to change next week!) is that evolution not revolution is the answer. I have tried shouting from the rooftops, it was a miserable failure.

The book is spreading faster than many think. Thru the internet and thru the lives of believers. Be patient, for it is not just this book which is spreading, it is the underlying teachings of the Master.

Revolution is disastrous for civilization. If you live your life as an example of the fatherhood of God and the brotherhood of man you are doing more than 10,000 megaphone shouters and 1,000,000 copies of a printed book.

PostPosted:  

Lwatson, I'm sure yo have heard of all the work being done around the world. the many translation of the book. the amazing growth of groups in other country's.

The thrust and hunger that people from other country have shown in finding the U.B.
Much is happening, maybe not in your eyes but in Gods eyes i am sure he see what we are doing and knows the challenges that face us on this confused planet.

Yes there is always more that can be done, but through experience i have found too much un-wisely can be detrimental to a cause.

Even the Celestial's that rough about the book to us said it was for a future generation .. thus implying we are the ones meant to help build the roads that the next generation will traverse in making the U.B. the true source it can be.

As i have stated on this site many time before i see we have two paths in hand... 1. we make a efforts in the world to Foster and Augment the an environment that will help bring about the Era of Light and Life, or 2. we just keep doing our best and accept that this planet is so screwed up that it will go that way of the Dodo bird, which is fine as long as each of us have taken care of our own house first.

Iether way we Stay true to the Journey and remember that The Work is ours, and the Results are Gods.

PostPosted:  

LWatson said" "The fact of the matter is that the Urantia Book has not generated a large following because of the "slow growth" policy."

This has not been the case for over a decade now. But I understand your frustration as one who fought tooth and nail with the Foundation's sue everybody in sight policies trying to control, by copyright, the concentric circles, the word Urantia, and all contents of the Revelation to keep the text out of the hands of charlatans, revisionists, and the crazies.

But I assure you, the Brotherhood, the Fellowship, and the Societies were working hard to distribute books and connect readers in many productive ways. Vern G.'s madness came prior to the Foundation's policy of super control and contributed much to the shakedown and derailing of the movement....a major division. And the Foundation split us further. But HAPPY DAYS!!! That time is behind us if some of us old warriors find it hard to forgive and forget old grudges....but we are dying/graduating away these prejudices as the explosion of readership happens around the globe. There is a new vitality and cooperative superstructure underway today that amazes me and thrills me as to its probable trend lines. We are seeking to realize the potential.....and we are truly better off BECAUSE of the strife and the experience of overcoming it.

Enter the clowns and crazies!! You need to upgrade your google if you can't find dozens of churches, congregations, ministries, and crackpots embracing some elements of the Revelation....exactly what the old Foundation trustees feared most. But this inevitability will also come to be a step up and forward in-time....error is that which we learn the better by. There are many of us who give much time and money and expertise to further developing both the distribution of the Revelation and the connectivity of the readership for self expression and mutual experience in the text, the spirit, the fellowship of kingdom believers, and the further and future growth of the readership to come. All are welcome to pitch in with projects underway....or to work in the vineyard in their own way.

There is no hurry and there is no worry...we must each determine by our own discernment and passion and compassion that which we will do in response to our universe citizenship in this friendly kingdom of God and this perplexing kingdom of mankind. We have many helpers who are masters at turning mortal lemons into divine lemonade!! And many of us add the sugar of love, the water of time and stir with the patience of destiny assurance in this sublime adventure. But this world is but a short bridge and Jesus said we should not think to build our house upon it. Peace.