Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:11 pm +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Mind at mischief
PostPosted:  

Thought I would start a thread where there can be a discussion about some of the supposed spiritual connections we make, that may in fact be just our own mind. What the difference between real spiritual contact is and what is just a psychic illusion. So nothing is off limits.

Thehapyandefectivepersonismotivatednotbyfearofwrongdoingbutby
loveofrightdoing

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject: Re: Mind at mischief
PostPosted:  

Interesting idea.. :)

PostPosted:  

I agree!! 8) We can all share or prescreen our own Reversionist feature to come.....ahhhh, seekers. All seekers are the very ones who will most often encounter their own and other's minds at mischief, no? The satisfied and the dolts of the world encounter no less error but mischief? That takes more effort and imagination.

I was lucky to have both experienced and encountered much of the mind's mischief potential long before I came to the Revelation. This helps me contextualize and categorize much of that brought to the Revelation student WHILE in text and encounter with other readers, sincere and charlatan alike. I can only imagine how confusing it might be to go through all of that thinking it has anything to do with the Revelation or the corps of believers/practitioners or the sincere students.

The mind at mischief is as old as the mind itself, nothing new. I look forward to the stories, text, and reflections to come.

PostPosted:  

AS U.B. readers we have only the guild lines given us in the book on this matter, there obviously is a large and diverse population out there in to all kinds of spiritualism, non of which is in line with the U.B.

If those out there wish to have there own special interest find by me just don't try and attach it to the U.B.

That being said, the U.B. does say we have a host of spiritual guide in our lives acting in our best interest. and Our choosing to grow spiritually may allow us to have experiences that confirm for each individual that they are a child of God.

Now the U.B, Say we will not hear an auditory response from our helpers, but how a individual interpreted their experiences can cause difficulty in shearing and understanding.

Will be interesting to see how this goes.

Thanx Boom

PostPosted:  

To Jim's point - Our common circuitry requires the material mind to have elements which are able to imagine, apply intuition, to believe without seeing, to project forward and backward in time, to have symbols of language, and to have memory of experience. These elements of mind bring inherent potentials for the mind at mischief. Indeed, the UB says it is best to beware these inherent powers of material mind for self delusions, false importance, mind construction of fantasies, and the self importance of ego...even to the degree of ignoring or dismissing actual TA communication for our own mental health and balance. I look forward to the posts to come of the endless warnings we are given.

But within all the circuitry of mind ministry, it is my understanding that once TA indwelt/invaded, that nothing is received by mortal mind that does not come by, from, or through our thought adjusters. John and Paul's visions were by and through TA - with able assists by seraphim or others perhaps but by TA ministry/function. No celestials or morontials can send or give any material mind any information, knowledge, pictures, messages, etc. except by and through TA....or so I understand it. So there is only one window or doorway in mind to receive truth or guidance....the TA. I would know more about how the Holy Spirit and Spirit of Truth work in mind and if they too come to mind by TA or a direct connection within. But I think they also come by TA into the giving and confirming of truth.

So let us begin this discussion by considering two issues: how is the material mind connected to truly receive truth and knowledge; and the fact that each of us is endowed the same way and connected the same way to Father, Son, Mother. By agreeing on the connections and the commonalities of circuitry and potential, perhaps we can the better magnify the many forms of mischief this powerful electro/chemical unit can easily conjur up.

(63.2) 5:1.4 The mortals of the realms of time and space may differ greatly in innate abilities and intellectual endowment, they may enjoy environments exceptionally favorable to social advancement and moral progress, or they may suffer from the lack of almost every human aid to culture and supposed advancement in the arts of civilization; but the possibilities for spiritual progress in the ascension career are equal to all; increasing levels of spiritual insight and cosmic meanings are attained quite independently of all such sociomoral differentials of the diversified material environments on the evolutionary worlds.

(63.3) 5:1.5 However Urantia mortals may differ in their intellectual, social, economic, and even moral opportunities and endowments, forget not that their spiritual endowment is uniform and unique. They all enjoy the same divine presence of the gift from the Father, and they are all equally privileged to seek intimate personal communion with this indwelling spirit of divine origin, while they may all equally choose to accept the uniform spiritual leading of these Mystery Monitors.

PostPosted:  

If you like i submit my experience, it was some thing i could not explain, but it did challenge every reality at the time i experienced, and as i attempted to make sense out of it I changed my life to aline with this over-whelming truth that presented it's self upon me.

at first i was lost to shear it, for i did not have the words, but i did know i could not go on living my life the same way and had to change,,, but i truly did not know what change meant, i only knew what i knew..right..so i stumble along, and found my self guided no, never knowing where i would end up,...person came into my life that seemed to have words i needed to hear, groups ..small community's of ppl that sheared concepts i needed to aid me in my transformation came into my life, these thing happened and i could not have predicted them and they were so far removed from the life i grew up with that a Hand greater than my own had to be guiding these out come.

and as extraordinary as my experience was it never got fantastic or unreal, it just kept challenging me to grow and see things differently, grow in concepts and ideas.

Now i will say I could have gone in some strange directions to attempt to explain my experiences...but life had given me some grounding that i think paid off.

PostPosted:  

This is an idea that was brought up in one of Chris' study group sessions on his site. The idea was that on normal worlds our mindal energy system is rested on the physical mechanism (our bodies) quite nicely. However because of unteachable mind (mechanical mind) there is some connectivity issues that can come into play. Our mindal energy system can become detached from our body. There can be a lot of strange phenemon that resut because of this. And in the extreme cases when mind becomes very unseated it can interact with things outside its body, even though it shouldn't. Essentially the phenomonon of psychics, could be attributed to this. Where someones mind is hovering around and picking up on other peoples thoughts. We can start hearing voices etc. Apparently this is not good at all and if our mind becomes to unseated it will snap like a rubber band and we will be locked up in little padded rooms hahaha. This is the quotes in the book Chris used to explain this. I bolded the parts here used to explain this.

Quote:

7. Evolutionary Mind Levels

(738.4) 65:7.1 The seven adjutant mind-spirits are the versatile mind ministers to the lower intelligent existences of a local universe. This order of mind is ministered from the local universe headquarters or from some world connected therewith, but there is influential direction of lower-mind function from the system capitals.

(738.5) 65:7.2 On an evolutionary world much, very much, depends on the work of these seven adjutants. But they are mind ministers; they are not concerned in physical evolution, the domain of the Life Carriers. Nevertheless, the perfect integration of these spirit endowments with the ordained and natural procedure of the unfolding and inherent regime of the Life Carriers is responsible for the mortal inability to discern, in the phenomenon of mind, aught but the hand of nature and the outworking of natural processes, albeit you are occasionally somewhat perplexed in explaining all of everything connected with the natural reactions of mind as it is associated with matter. And if Urantia were operating more in accordance with the original plans, you would observe even less to arrest your attention in the phenomenon of mind.

(738.6) 65:7.3 The seven adjutant spirits are more circuitlike than entitylike, and on ordinary worlds they are encircuited with other adjutant functionings throughout the local universe. On life-experiment planets, however, they are relatively isolated. And on Urantia, owing to the unique nature of the life patterns, the lower adjutants experienced far more difficulty in contacting with the evolutionary organisms than would have been the case in a more standardized type of life endowment.

(738.7) 65:7.4 Again, on an average evolutionary world the seven adjutant spirits are far better synchronized with the advancing stages of animal development than they were on Urantia. With but a single exception, the adjutants experienced the greatest difficulty in contacting with the evolving minds of Urantia organisms that they had ever had in all their functioning throughout the universe of Nebadon. On this world there developed many forms of border phenomena — confusional combinations of the mechanical-nonteachable and the nonmechanical-teachable types of organismal response.

(739.1) 65:7.5 The seven adjutant spirits do not make contact with the purely mechanical orders of organismal environmental response. Such preintelligent responses of living organisms pertain purely to the energy domains of the power centers, the physical controllers, and their associates.

So the ideal situation is to have our mind controlling matter, and sometimes as that doesn't always happen and our mind can drift off and all sorts of strange phenomonon can happen hence the line "you are somewhat perplexed in explaining all of everything connected with the natural reactions of mind as it is associated with matter" and "And if Urantia were operating more in accordance with the original plans, you would observe even less to arrest your attention in the phenomenon of mind."

loveofrightdoing

PostPosted:  

I'm so glad I found this little community of seekers and believers....and you within Jim. We haven't agreed on everything, but just about everything important we do. I had the Revelation for over 5 years before meeting another reader but was immediately immersed in multiple study groups, the Concordex, and the Paramony...what a difference!! And in the 14 months I've been here and the Forum, I've connected more dots and enlarged perspective more than the previous 20 years!! Thanks to all of you and other believers and ernest students and fellow tadpoles.

The mature mind is the more nimble and the easier to let go of prejudice and misconception within a philosophy born of experience that unites the inner reality with the material life and order in which we "order" in mind by the meanings and values discovered and the truths confirmed and delivered by the TA and Spirit of Truth. Some cling to something once believed and willingly blind themselves to any contradiction or conflict with this self constructed reality. But we know that the material mind can not ever fully realize THE truth but only truths in relation to each other which expand by experience of further truths to come and greater experience, perspective, wisdom and the balance of a mature mind.

As to the mind at mischief, I'll be back to share some of my own. The summer I was loaned the UB the first time I was living in a tent in an orchard at a friend's mother's farm. She was a white witch and had many local farm wives in her wicken (yes, Ozark farm wives in their 40s-60s (I was 24). They channeled Seth and others every Saturday afternoon sitting around the pentagram lit with candles. I was in session several times and had past lives presented and I was "named" and told how special I was. Oh yeah, I knew the drill and routine long before Mr. Ham showed up or before Grimsley went bonkers with "messages". This mediumship was popular forever but especially in Houdini's day....it should not be surprising that this form of charlantanism came to plague our movement too....but it certainly did not originate here nor is it any different than any other except for a few words and concepts plucked from text.

I'll tell later how I left home at 18 to hitchhike to the west coast to meet my guru and the wisdom he gave to this tadpole - bless him - even if he did laugh out loud at my expectations. "Come grasshopper, making a living is not easy - but it is infinitely easier than enlightenment!" Not what I wanted to hear...... How many people only use the Revelation to promote and validate misconceptions and falsehoods? I found the text that declares there are only two forms of revelation - auto/personal by TA and epochal by any other than TA - no second hand revelation - no messages from any to any other - period.

101:4.3 Truth is always a revelation: auto revelation when it emerges as a result of the work of the indwelling Adjuster; epochal revelation when it is presented by the function of some other celestial agency, group, or personality.

PostPosted:  

Interesting observations. I know someone who, as a young teenager, got deeper and deeper into Kundalini Yoga. At one point he started hearing whooshing sounds and had the distinct feeling that other personalities were very nearby when engaged in meditation. The altered state of consciousness was intense and the experiences frightening and unsettling. After a few days of continuing with that a few times a day, a sound like a racing locomotive came on while the experience of the passage of time and the concept of self-hood seemed to be slipping away. It was then as if the Adjuster spoke in clear terms saying in effect: "You need to stop this immediately. You're not ready for what is about to come". He broke off the meditation and kind of shook himself to try to dispell the altered state of consciousness. The words of warning were enough to keep him from practicing Yoga for many years afterward.

Last edited by Riktare on Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:51 am +0000, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted:  

HI ALL 8)

Heres The Link To Download Or IS It Upload lol
The PDF For Dr Sadlers Book The Mind at Mischief

Enjoy

http://www.cimmay.com/sadler.html

APPENDIX
''IN discussions of fraudulent mediums or self-deceived psychics, the reader of this book has
several times encountered the statement that there were certain exceptions to the general
indictments there made, and was referred to this appendix. It now becomes my duty to
explain what I had in mind when those footnotes were inserted.
In the interests of scientific accuracy on the one hand, and of strict fairness on the other,
it becomes necessary to explain that there are one or two exceptions to the general statement
that all cases of psychic phenomena which have come under my observation have turned out
to be those of auto-psychism. It is true that practically all the physical phenomena have
proved to be fraudulent, while the psychic phenomena are almost invariably explainable by
the laws of psychic projection, transference, reality shifting, etc.''

I Think Hes Talking About Ellen_G._White
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ellen_G._White

Here :arrow:
'' But many years ago I did
meet one trance medium, a woman now deceased, whose visions, revelations, etc., were not
tainted with spiritualism. As far as my knowledge extends, at no time did she claim to be
under the influence of spirit guides or controls, or to communicate messages from the spirits
of departed human beings. Her work was largely of a religious nature and consisted of
elevated sayings and religious admonitions. I never had the privilege of making a thoroughgoing
psychic analysis of this case, and am not in a position to express myself as to the extent
to which her revelations originated in the subconscious realms of her own mind. I make
mention of the case merely to record the fact that I have met one instance of psychic
phenomena apparently of the trance order that was not in any way associated with
spiritualism.''

Dr Sadlers Talking About The SS/ Sleeping Subject
Here
:arrow:

'' The other exception has to do with a rather peculiar case of psychic phenomena, one
which I find myself unable to classify, and which I would like very much to narrate more fully;
I cannot do so here, however, because of a promise which I feel under obligation to keep
sacredly. In other words, I have promised not to publish this case during the lifetime of the
individual. I hope sometime to secure a modification of that promise and to be able to report
this case more fully because of its interesting features. I was brought in contact with it, in the
summer of 1911, and I have had it under my observation more or less ever since, having been
present at probably 250 of the night sessions, many of which have been attended by a
stenographer who made voluminous notes.

A thorough study of this case has convinced me that it is not one of ordinary trance.
While the sleep seems to be quite of a natural order, it is very profound, and so far we have
never been able to awaken the subject when in this state; but the body is never rigid, and the
heart action is never modified, tho respiration is sometimes markedly interfered with. This
man is utterly unconscious, wholly oblivious to what takes place, and, unless told about it
subsequently, never knows that he has been used as a sort of clearing house for the coming
and going of alleged extra-planetary personalities. In fact, he is more or less indifferent to the
whole proceeding, and shows a surprising lack of interest in these affairs as they occur from
time to time.''

PostPosted:  

There truly exists within you a conspiracy of spiritual forces, a confederation of divine powers, whose exclusive purpose is to effect your final deliverance from material bondage and finite handicaps.

4:1.7 A being of my order is able to discover ultimate harmony and to detect far-reaching and profound co-ordination in the routine affairs of universe administration. Much that seems disjointed and haphazard to the mortal mind appears orderly and constructive to my understanding. But there is very much going on in the universes that I do not fully comprehend. I have long been a student of, and am more or less conversant with, the recognized forces, energies, minds, morontias, spirits, and personalities of the local universes and the superuniverses. I have a general understanding of how these agencies and personalities operate, and I am intimately familiar with the workings of the accredited spirit intelligences of the grand universe. Notwithstanding my knowledge of the phenomena of the universes, I am constantly confronted with cosmic reactions which I cannot fully fathom. I am continually encountering apparently fortuitous conspiracies of the interassociation of forces, energies, intellects, and spirits, which I cannot satisfactorily explain.

34:6.9 In every mortal there exists a dual nature: the inheritance of animal tendencies and the high urge of spirit endowment. During the short life you live on Urantia, these two diverse and opposing urges can seldom be fully reconciled; they can hardly be harmonized and unified; but throughout your lifetime the combined Spirit ever ministers to assist you in subjecting the flesh more and more to the leading of the Spirit. Even though you must live your material life through, even though you cannot escape the body and its necessities, nonetheless, in purpose and ideals you are empowered increasingly to subject the animal nature to the mastery of the Spirit. There truly exists within you a conspiracy of spiritual forces, a confederation of divine powers, whose exclusive purpose is to effect your final deliverance from material bondage and finite handicaps.

45:7.1 The Melchizedeks are the directors of that large corps of instructors — partially spiritualized will creatures and others — who function so acceptably on Jerusem and its associated worlds but especially on the seven mansion worlds. These are the detention planets, where those mortals who fail to achieve fusion with their indwelling Adjusters during the life in the flesh are rehabilitated in transient form to receive further help and to enjoy extended opportunity for continuing their strivings for spiritual attainment, those very efforts which were prematurely interrupted by death. Or if, for any other reason of hereditary handicap, unfavorable environment, or conspiracy of circumstances, this soul attainment was not completed, no matter what the reason, all who are true of purpose and worthy in spirit find themselves, as themselves, present on the continuing planets, where they must learn to master the essentials of the eternal career, to possess themselves of traits which they could not, or did not, acquire during the lifetime in the flesh.

PostPosted:  

There are many spiritual influences, and they are all as one.

. As these spiritual presences operate in the lives of Urantians, they cannot be segregated. In your minds and upon your souls they function as one spirit, notwithstanding their diverse origins.

8:5.4 There are many spiritual influences, and they are all as one. Even the work of the Thought Adjusters, though independent of all other influences, unvaryingly coincides with the spirit ministry of the combined influences of the Infinite Spirit and a local universe Mother Spirit. As these spiritual presences operate in the lives of Urantians, they cannot be segregated. In your minds and upon your souls they function as one spirit, notwithstanding their diverse origins. And as this united spiritual ministration is experienced, it becomes to you the influence of the Supreme, “who is ever able to keep you from failing and to present you blameless before your Father on high.”

These divine spirits which work for man’s uplifting and spiritualization all act in unison and in perfect co-operation. They are as one in the spiritual operation of the plans of mortal ascension and perfection attainment.

9:2.5 The presence of the universal spirit of the Eternal Son we know — we can unmistakably recognize it. The presence of the Infinite Spirit, the Third Person of Deity, even mortal man may know, for material creatures can actually experience the beneficence of this divine influence which functions as the Holy Spirit of local universe bestowal upon the races of mankind. Human beings can also in some degree become conscious of the Adjuster, the impersonal presence of the Universal Father. These divine spirits which work for man’s uplifting and spiritualization all act in unison and in perfect co-operation. They are as one in the spiritual operation of the plans of mortal ascension and perfection attainment.

PostPosted:  

I am super suspicious of any "spiritual" contact I make. The Authors make a point to instruct us to, if in doubt, assume these connections are deep mind events rather than actual spirit contact. I know myself pretty well and there are no more than a handful of events in my entire life which could even remotely be "spiritual" contact.

But that's just me. Anyone here could have had a real contact, I'm sure it happens periodically.

But I would be highly doubtful of anyone who bragged or blabbed about it.

Remember what the Authors said about all the strange "ism's" which are the result of garbled communication from the Adjuster.

PostPosted:  

In a trance like state I heard voices tell me they were spiritual beings. LOL, no joke. It was as literal of a voice as anything, I know first hand how to set up a situation where the intellect is functioning sort of on an island universe. So just because someone hears something in their head that doesn't mean its what it says it is lol.

loveofrightdoing

PostPosted:  

Boom Said ;
'' So just because someone hears something in their head that doesn't mean its what it says it is lol.''

Yes , Correct . I Agree

NO Human Mortal Can Honestly Know or Be Positive IF A Voice IS Heard,
Just Really Where ITs Source IS Truely From , And Like Bro Boom
Said '' that doesn't mean its what it says it is''

Or IF ITs Only From Ones Own Stressed Out Mind At Mischief .

IF The Voice Of Ones Thought Adjuster IS Heard ,
Then I Guess Somehow ... You Just ... KNOW .
Maybe ITs Validated By A Super Strong GOD Consciousness ... *Reality Response*
Or Something ?

May The Force Be With You lol 8)

Ive Never Heard Any Voices , And I Dont Want To ,
IF I Ever DO , I Think I Would Go See A Head Shrinker
And Get My Sanity Checked Out .

Unless Somehow I Just KNOW That Its The Voice of My TA
Or Maybe From A Angel , Even Then Id Be Cautious and Skeptic .

I Have Felt And Known GOD Consciousness
And Have Felt The Presence Of Fathers and Christ Michaels Spirit
as Well As The Holy Spirit and The Spirit of Truth Within .

Although After Reading And Believing What The Texts Of The Urantia Papers
Says About That ''they cannot be segregated. In your minds and upon your souls they function as one spirit,''
There are many spiritual influences, and they are all as one.

. As these spiritual presences operate in the lives of Urantians, they cannot be segregated. In your minds and upon your souls they function as one spirit, notwithstanding their diverse origins.

Then I Can Honestly Say That What I Had Thought Was The Holy Spirit
Or Think Was The Spirit of Truth , That Scince ALL Spirit Forces Work Together
AS ONE , And they cannot be segregated In your minds and upon your souls they function as one spirit, Then I Cant KNOW IF It Really Was The Holy Spirit
Or Was The Spirit of Truth , OR Something Else I Guess eh .

So What I Think I KNOW Or Believe IS/Was
May BE Just That , That What I Think Is/Was The Holy Spirit
Or The Spirit of Truth .May Or May Not Be One Or The Other ,
So I Cant Personaly Validate For Myself What Was The Actual
Personal Spirit Force Experience.
I Can Only Assume Or Guess Without Any Positive Proof or Fact .

As My Friend an UB Sister Has Reminded Me .

The Bottom Line IS LOVE

The Greatest Spiritual Force IS LOVE

GOD IS LOVE

The Spirit Of Truth Can and Will Show US ... The Way .

The Masters SECRET :arrow:

The secret of his unparalleled religious life was this consciousness of the presence of God; and he attained it by intelligent prayer and sincere worship — unbroken communion with God — and not by leadings, voices, visions, or extraordinary religious practices.

196:0.10 Jesus brought to God, as a man of the realm, the greatest of all offerings: the consecration and dedication of his own will to the majestic service of doing the divine will. Jesus always and consistently interpreted religion wholly in terms of the Father’s will. When you study the career of the Master, as concerns prayer or any other feature of the religious life, look not so much for what he taught as for what he did. Jesus never prayed as a religious duty. To him prayer was a sincere expression of spiritual attitude, a declaration of soul loyalty, a recital of personal devotion, an expression of thanksgiving, an avoidance of emotional tension, a prevention of conflict, an exaltation of intellection, an ennoblement of desire, a vindication of moral decision, an enrichment of thought, an invigoration of higher inclinations, a consecration of impulse, a clarification of viewpoint, a declaration of faith, a transcendental surrender of will, a sublime assertion of confidence, a revelation of courage, the proclamation of discovery, a confession of supreme devotion, the validation of consecration, a technique for the adjustment of difficulties, and the mighty mobilization of the combined soul powers to withstand all human tendencies toward selfishness, evil, and sin. He lived just such a life of prayerful consecration to the doing of his Father’s will and ended his life triumphantly with just such a prayer. The secret of his unparalleled religious life was this consciousness of the presence of God; and he attained it by intelligent prayer and sincere worship — unbroken communion with God — and not by leadings, voices, visions, or extraordinary religious practices.