Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:54 pm +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Spiritual Power
PostPosted:  

Hi all,

Here are all the places in the Urantia Book where the phrase "spiritual power" occurs:

6 - The Eternal Son motivates the spirit level of cosmic reality; the spiritual power of the Son is absolute in relation to all universe actualities.
6 - The Eternal Son is truly a merciful minister, a divine spirit, a spiritual power, and a real personality.
91 - Prayer may be the childlike plea for the impossible or the mature entreaty for moral growth and spiritual power.
109 - A self-acting Adjuster is one who: Has acquired the balance of spiritual power in a human who has made the third psychic circle and has had assigned to him a personal seraphic guardian.
136 - Having settled such questions of policy as pertained to his individual relations to natural law and spiritual power, he turned his attention to the choice of methods to be employed in the proclamation and establishment of the kingdom of God.
140 - Only the humble seek for divine strength and crave spiritual power.
142 - In the course of the evening he definitely stated that at some future stage of kingdom development he would revisit this world in spiritual power and divine glory.
152 - Likewise, today, while his absence prevents such material manifestations, you should refrain from placing any sort of limitation on the possible exhibition of his spiritual power.
158 - Nor can you do spiritual work in the absence of spiritual power.
159 - Never should a righteous cause be promoted by force; spiritual victories can be won only by spiritual power.
160 - Great spiritual power is inherent in the consciousness of wholehearted devotion to a common cause, mutual loyalty to a cosmic Deity.
166 - And they who shall thus take the kingdom in spiritual power and by the persistent assaults of living faith will come from the north and the south and from the east and the west.
170 - The acceptance of such a teaching, Jesus declared, would [...] enrich human living with [...] the possession of new courage and augmented spiritual power.
178 - From generation to generation this gospel must show increasing vitality and exhibit greater depth of spiritual power.
193 - But you will receive spiritual power after the spirit has descended upon you, and you will presently go into all the world preaching this gospel of the kingdom.
194 - The term “baptism of the spirit,” which came into such general use about this time, merely signified the conscious reception of this gift of the Spirit of Truth and the personal acknowledgment of this new spiritual power as an augmentation of all spiritual influences previously experienced by God-knowing souls.

I did have some thoughts on spiritual power as it's framed in the Urantia Book, but now I think I'll just leave it with these refs for you all to read.

kiwi

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject: Re: Spiritual Power
PostPosted:  

What is spiritual power? Power to do what? Power for what? The apostles were filled with power at Pentecost - when did this fade, and why? Haven't we still got the Spirit of Truth and the Holy Spirit and Thought Adjusters, just the same? Should we be looking to be filled with power in the way that the apostles were? Or should we be focussing on living lives after Jesus' example and making spirit-led decisions? Or both?

So many questions! :smile:

kiwi

PostPosted:  

Spiritual power still exist and yes we have every thing today that was in existance back then.

For me the experience of spiritual power is hampered by my attachments to earthly concerns and worrys, ... the more i live according to my external reality the less i am able to be awaer of the spiritual life that feeds my experiencing the power of Spirit.

PostPosted:  

Quote:
What is spiritual power? Power to do what? Power for what? The apostles were filled with power at Pentecost - when did this fade, and why? Haven't we still got the Spirit of Truth and the Holy Spirit and Thought Adjusters, just the same? Should we be looking to be filled with power in the way that the apostles were? Or should we be focussing on living lives after Jesus' example and making spirit-led decisions? Or both?

So many questions! :smile:

kiwi

The apostles were filled with the spiritual power of the Spirit of Truth at Pentecost. This probably never faded in their lives. We do have the Spirit of Truth, but we have to open our mindal hearts to god to feel the spirit of truth. I certainly looked to be filled with the power of the spirit of truth. My goal is to allow gods ministry into my mindal heart and at that point I believe I will feel the Spirit of truth. That is all I am trying to do, I guess everyone is trying what they think works for them. I try to just do good and not be a perfect human like Jesus. I feel that doing small works of goodness in a loving way is the perfect tonic :).

IMO it just takes a whole-hearted desire in the mindal heart to do gods will, which unlocks all of these spiritual powers. IMO the reason people don't go ahead and do that is because there are just so many distractions and so much to get confused with.

Thehapyandefectivepersonismotivatednotbyfearofwrongdoingbutby
loveofrightdoing

PostPosted:  

Hi J. Barry and boom, I really like your thoughts.

As well as being hampered by attachments to earthly concerns, I guess another potential distraction is the philosophical/intellectual side of the Urantia Book. I find it easy to get carried away with these and forget about the dynamic and powerful spiritual life that the Book talks about - a life like Jesus had.

And even aside from all that, it's really hard just to be totally open to God. We put up so many blockages that we don't even realise we are doing it after a while.

As an aside (and falling into the trap again :smile: ) - kind of interesting that the Eternal Son is the source of Spiritual Power, and the Spirit of Truth which comes indirectly from Him is the source of spiritual power for us, more so than the Holy Spirit or Thought Adjuster.

I wonder what I would have had the courage to do today, if I had been filled with God's spiritual power? We have a long time to cultivate it, but that's no reason to put it off. Hopefully I can learn to be open to it tomorrow - even just a little bit would be cool.

kiwi