Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:51 am +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted:  

I am planning to start a booth to share the Urantia Book and related materials on a college campus. What are some things I need to know going forward with this endeavor? What is some advice you can give on sharing the Urantia Book to the general public?

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted:  

Is this a US college campus?

PostPosted:  
Site Admin

Hello Yoder --

I'm really happy to hear of your intention to set up a booth at a campus. After a certain while, many readers begin to feel the desire to do something valuable with what they've learned from their studies and outreach is one of the major places to contribute. For decades there have been prison outreach programs -- they tend to make the person involved feel like they're accomplishing something, but there's very little other meaningful payback. Which would you prefer to have attend a study group at your home, a rehabilitated felon or a college student? Like any organization, the Urantia movement needs new readers and young bright inquisitive minds are imperative -- a college campus is the best soil for planting the seeds of the revelation. Sadly, in the whole of the USA there is only one active campus outreach program. There are lots of good intentions, but few will follow through and do the necessary, persistent, consistent work.

The requirements are minimal. Someone has to resolve to dedicate time to the booth so they must have spare time to donate, whether it's just an hour a week or an hour a month -- committed time needs to be consistent. They have to be willing to sit at the booth, be there to answer questions or just be there as students pass by and ignore them.

The one active campus UB outreach booth is at the University of Colorado, Boulder, and has been in continuous operation since about 1985 due to the efforts of one man. He has worked with the university administration to make the Urantia Book Club a recognized University club, which gives the added benefit of being able to hold events at the university as a student organization, receiving a substantial discount for using university facilities. All the necessary information can be found at http://www.urantia-book-club.org/ and I'd suggest you start there.

The payback to a campus outreach booth may not be obvious although at the Boulder club new readers from the university have later come to attend one of the several active study groups in the Boulder area. In this instance, at UC Boulder, a table is set up attractively, displaying The Urantia Book. It's in an area near food courts so there's a lot of student traffic. They walk by and they may glance at the table. They see "The Urantia Book" -- it's big. They continue on, or maybe one or two a day will stop and pick up a handout. Once in a while someone will want to talk or ask questions. But for the most part, a thousand kids may walk by at lunch time and the words "The Urantia Book" will be subconsciously registered. Maybe 5 or 10 years later, when they're confronted by real life and have real life concerns they may be surfing the web or browsing in a book store and they'll recognize "The Urantia Book" from having seen it at college and they'll check into it further. They do, after all, have guardian angels and Thought Adjusters -- which the booth has provided recognition to work with.

So, if you're looking for immediate results, new recruits, new readers, spiritually excited young adults... this is not going to happen most likely. You'll not see a lot of obvious results from this work, you'll spend a lot of time crocheting or listening to music or twiddling your thumbs, but you will have the soul satisfaction of being instrumental in helping to wake up some young and inquisitive minds to new possibilities.

Best wishes,
Larry

PostPosted:  

Hey Yoder....just want to say "All The Best"!! You are now a seed planter...and like Johnny Appleseed of yore and lore, you will never know perhaps the orchards that will rise in your wake, feeding souls for generations to come. This effort exemplifies how I and so many first touched the Revelation....hand to hand by a dedicated few who wished only to share that which we find so illuminating and helpful in our becoming. The act of faith is ours.....Father will see to the results!!

Great link and post Larry!! No need to reinvent THIS wheel!! Yoder - there are those who will help supply books for free or at deep discount for such purposes....and a great assortment of art and supporting materials to "tickle" the minds of the curious and the seekers that will be walking by. You may also want to consider "seeding" the libraries and book stores in a radius from your personal campus location. And do not be too surprised when another reader appears! I pray for your efforts and know you yourself may well be the one who most benefits by this act of sharing.....and caring. But maybe it will be others after all......

After nearly 40 years of active ministry support myself, I still think it is but the dissemination of and access to the Revelation - itself and in total - that is the most effective form of outreach.....besides walking the walk as we pass by that is. Enjoy this adventure.

Bradly 8)

PostPosted:  

Thank you for your support. What I am planning to do is have a table set up where materials like pamphlets related to the Urantia Book will be available and I will be available to politely answer whatever questions I am able to answer about the Urantia Book in as brief and simple a manner as possible. I will not actively seek people to come to me and neither will I publicly preach to get attention. Instead, I will simply make the information available and let attraction rather than promotion work itself out.

PostPosted:  

Hey Yoder its nice to see a fellow reader with that cavalier spirit. :)

Thehapyandefectivepersonismotivatednotbyfearofwrongdoingbutby
loveofrightdoing

PostPosted:  

Talk to Pato Baton. He has the "Words of Christ" on CD. It is a really good CD filled with excerpts from the UB, specifically of some of Jesus's best speeches, set to wonderful music. I have always dreamed (but as Larry pointed out never followed thru) of having a booth and having the CD's playing softly. I would ask Pato for permission though.

Just a thought...

PostPosted:  

What I am really concerned about is how I am going to call up the college and explain to them what the Urantia Book is and why they should let me set up a booth on their campus.

Should I identify as being affiliated with a religious movement known as Urantia? If I am just one person promoting a book that no one has ever heard of, that might not be as effective as if I were a member of a worldwide religious movement. If they see that this is a religion, albeit a non-hierarchical and non-centralized religion, perhaps they will recognize that I have a constitutional right to share it in the public square.

PostPosted:  

I just called the college events office and they charge 30 dollars per day for any booth, regardless of whether it is a not-for-profit. Since I am sadly not able to afford this amount, are there any resources available in the Urantia community that could help pay for this fee? The check could be made and sent directly to the college. I would greatly appreciate whatever help is available.

PostPosted:  

Thank you, all Urantians out there, for your support. I've already received offers of help from two organizations dedicated to the Urantia Book for this endeavor.

PostPosted:  

Remember Yoder, TUB is free on line. I have it on my cell phone. :smile:

PostPosted:  

loucol wrote:
Remember Yoder, TUB is free on line. I have it on my cell phone. :smile:

Yes, and the least I am hoping to accomplish is for young passersby to look it up on their smartphones and perhaps that will plant a seed.

PostPosted:  

I very much look forward to setting up the booth on the college campus. I just have to wait until a post office box opens up in my local post office so that I can receive the necessary materials. It's on a first come first serve basis and they don't have a waiting list but they said that one might open up next week. Thank you for offering to help me in this endeavor.