Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:27 pm +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted:  

It is rare for me to come across what seems to be an inconsistency with regard to the
Urantia Book writing. But tonight I came across this and the last sentence puzzles me.

The mammals of the early Cenozoic lived on land, under the water, in the air, and among
the treetops. They had from one to eleven pairs of mammary glands, and all were covered
with considerable hair. In common with the later appearing orders, they developed two
successive sets of teeth and possessed large brains in comparison to body size.
But among them all no modern forms existed. - 61:1.10 / The Urantia Book

I'm wondering if that sentence should be: "But among them all no modern forms exist."

Maybe I'm reading it wrong.

Any comments?

In His service,
Russ

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted:  

Hi Russ. I don’t quite see your point. Why do you think this is an inconsistency? Inconsistent with what? I think 61:1.10 basically states that the mammals of the early Cenozoic where evolutionary/taxonomically different from modern mammals. So, "among them all no modern forms existed."

PostPosted:  

Hi Bart --

Thanks for the reply.

Bart wrote:
Hi Russ. I don’t quite see your point. Why do you think this is an inconsistency? Inconsistent with what? I think 61:1.10 basically states that the mammals of the early Cenozoic where evolutionary/taxonomically different from modern mammals. So, "among them all no modern forms existed."

Maybe "inconsistency" was not the best description. Perhaps my question to myself in reading this is "of course there would not be any modern forms in the early Cenozoic". Again, I think I'm just misreading it. =)

Russ

PostPosted:  

61:2.8 30,000,000 years ago the modern types of mammals began to make their appearance. 61:2.13 By the close of this Oligocene period, covering ten million years, the plant life, together with the marine life and the land animals, had very largely evolved and was present on earth much as today.

no modern forms existed in the cenozoic but they did begin to exist in the eocene. 61:1.14 Throughout this so-called Eocene period the evolution of mammalian and other related forms of life continued with little or no interruption. North America was then connected by land with every continent except Australia, and the world was gradually overrun by primitive mammalian fauna of various types. 2. THE RECENT FLOOD STAGE THE AGE OF ADVANCED MAMMALS 61:2.1 This period was characterized by the further and rapid evolution of placental mammals, the more progressive forms of mammalian life developing during these times.

and the modern forms were also in the oligocene. they are telling us when the modern forms that we now have appeared by saying But among them all no modern forms existed in the cenozoic.

Russ McClay wrote:
It is rare for me to come across what seems to be an inconsistency with regard to the
Urantia Book writing. But tonight I came across this and the last sentence puzzles me.

The mammals of the early Cenozoic lived on land, under the water, in the air, and among
the treetops. They had from one to eleven pairs of mammary glands, and all were covered
with considerable hair. In common with the later appearing orders, they developed two
successive sets of teeth and possessed large brains in comparison to body size.
But among them all no modern forms existed. - 61:1.10 / The Urantia Book

I'm wondering if that sentence should be: "But among them all no modern forms exist."

Maybe I'm reading it wrong.

Any comments?

In His service,
Russ

PostPosted:  

Hi Rich -

rich.sachs wrote:
61:2.8 30,000,000 years ago...

Thanks for the input. After some time, the sentence makes sense to me now.

Peace,
Russ

PostPosted:  

It took me a while to get the meaning of this sentence too. It does have an "oddness" to it. But then, I wonder how my sentences would seem to Midwayers in their language?
However, if one wanted to identify a Midwayer here among us, the "odd" sentences would help.

PostPosted:  

Hi Russ...how goes it? To me existed would indicate, in retrospect....

Aloha...