Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:55 am +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Eternal life, anyone?
PostPosted:  

I have "always" known that Christianity offers eternal life. Yet, even though having been a devoted Christian for a time in my life, I never really felt it actually real.

Having now read about 2/3 of TUB, I see that it also promises eternal life. While reading it I have developed a strong conviction that the authors really know what they are talking about. Hence, I feel that the promise of eternal life is a reality and that my answer to it is the fulcrum that determines whether it is for me.

The first thought that comes to my mind about eternal life is indeed whether I want to have it. What do I mean, isn't it the dream of every human to live forever? Well, yes, because people have not thought what it would really mean.

To me it seems that quite many people who would want to live forever see the life as a continuing sequence of the best moments they have had. To many those moments would only be possible if there were others that served them, fulfilling their every desire, yielding to their power. That's not really an issue for me, though, as I almost abhor being served by others.

Also, it seems to me that a lot of people don't age gracefully. Instead, they collect bitterness until no one likes to be around them. In fact, they would not even want to be around themselves, if it just were possible to get away.

If not bitterness, then the worries of the world will press people down. Or depression or anxiety in general. Or just not wanting to stop running around, because then you would need to confront yourself for a time. And that's something a lot of people really cannot handle.

These things are also a reality to me - in fact, I have been my worst oppressor. I made my life Hell on Earth. Having recently made a 180 degree turn (or at least a 90 degree one :P ) from those days, I still realize that things are nowhere near being ready.

In fact, I no longer see death as my worst enemy for living eternally. Because God wants to get me to His side, nobody can be against me. Except for myself. No other enemies can deny me the eternal life. Would I want to spend the eternity with myself? Am I ready for that? Am I even on a course of becoming ready? Or even on the verge of finding out what the course should be?

I think I am. Not because of what I am, but because what God has promised:

110:3.2 The success of your Adjuster in the enterprise of piloting you through the mortal life and bringing about your survival depends not so much on the theories of your beliefs as upon your decisions, determinations, and steadfast faith. All these movements of personality growth become powerful influences aiding in your advancement because they help you to co-operate with the Adjuster; they assist you in ceasing to resist. Thought Adjusters succeed or apparently fail in their terrestrial undertakings just in so far as mortals succeed or fail to co-operate with the scheme whereby they are to be advanced along the ascending path of perfection attainment. The secret of survival is wrapped up in the supreme human desire to be Godlike and in the associated willingness to do and be any and all things which are essential to the final attainment of that overmastering desire.

If I want it, I will be given it. Do I want it? I think I do. I probably could not stand myself for eternity - yet. But I am quite confident that the Path is there if I am ready to follow it.

I don't think there is any other way to stand to be with yourself for eternity - except by becoming Godlike. After all, He is Eternal and definitely is Godlike (and I'm quite certain that He can stand to be with Himself forever.) This is what God wants me to be, too, and the Thought Adjuster can help me in the process.

Thus "Do I want to live forever?" is equal to the question "Do I want to become Godlike?" I do.

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted:  

Hello Pertti,
If you are now 2/3 into the UB so you have 1/3 left to go and it gets even better .The revelators really want to know if you want to make the trip.
I have no clue what a world is like with no blood ,sweat and tears.This world is all I know. Exhaustion.fatigue,sorrows and a host of other life situations plague us everyday.Is it all it is said to be especially when we are just plain give out down here ?
Is it worth the effort? Is it beyond our imagination and more? The spirit has led me to believe it is so worth it so Ill endure the longsuffering and build more patience.

PostPosted:  

Earl wrote:
Hello Pertti,
If you are now 2/3 into the UB so you have 1/3 left to go and it gets even better .The revelators really want to know if you want to make the trip.

The remaining third is in the middle (but it does, indeed, get better all the time as my understanding deepens). Originally I started in the beginning but after about 10 papers I realized I have a very hard time understanding what I am reading, and also that some of the later papers seemed to be much more interesting. Thus, I gave myself the permission to skip to the next interesting paper. I did that for a while, but around paper 100, all of them became very interesting so I read it from there to the end.

Then I started again from the beginning, and this time it seems that I understand a whole lot more. So far I have read papers 1-14 (where I'm now) + 100-196 and maybe one fourth of the papers between 14 and 100. I also found that the papers about Jesus' life were easier to read, and thus I would recommend beginners to read them first. After reading those papers it is much easier to understand part I. Reading part I is very slow - not because I don't understand the words, but because I don't have the concepts that the authors are describing. To get those concepts into my head requires stopping and giving it a lot of thought before continuing. I estimate that by the end of this year I have completed my first pass through TUB - but I aim for quality not quantity.

Earl wrote:
I have no clue what a world is like with no blood ,sweat and tears.This world is all I know. Exhaustion.fatigue,sorrows and a host of other life situations plague us everyday.Is it all it is said to be especially when we are just plain give out down here ?
Is it worth the effort? Is it beyond our imagination and more? The spirit has led me to believe it is so worth it so Ill endure the longsuffering and build more patience.

Actually, I don't see the "life after" as a reward for suffering here. I see that following our God-given pilot, the Thought Adjuster, we can begin to see the blessings already here. A lot of suffering comes simply from being so far from God and that won't stop before we get nearer to Him. He's not stopping our approach - we are, if anyone is. Also, life after is not all bliss but also hard work, swallowing our pride and giving up some of our pet ideas. I see that a lot needs to happen (until we are Godlike) and that what we can finish here is just a drop in the ocean when compared to what we still have ahead of us.

Fortunately we don't need to wait for the life after to get blessing in our lives. The more we understand the ways of God, the less we need to worry, be anxious or fear - although it never becomes easy. We can already take the first steps towards heaven (Havona) here on Earth. Even among all the affliction and pain. We can become the light beacons that shine to others and uplift them. Being a light beacon is actually quite uplifting for the beacon as well. :)

PostPosted:  

Hi Pertti,
Your story of your journey sounds like mine! Enjoy every moment! 8)

PostPosted:  

Hey Pertti:

One phrase in the UB which I really like is when the Authors tell us that this life is merely the vestibule of our real lives... the ones we will be living forever.

While this life really has meaning, real meaning, it's meaning (or so it seems to me) will pale in the brilliance of what is to come.

The Authors tell us that we will be taking from this life the best of what we have done. The REAL best, the spiritual best, the stuff which has survival value. Now me, I'm not the most spiritual knife in the drawer, and it seems to me that most of the stuff which I see as "important" will be left behind, scaffolding for the real me which will actually live forever.

The Authors tell us that what will survive is:
A. Our Personality, who we are.
B. Our Soul, the co-creation of our personality and the Adjuster.
C. The Adjuster... the actual fragment of God which we will be allowed to fuse with... if and when we are ready.

Also, they tell us that we will remember, and be remembered by the other personalites we have come into contact with... so that's cool.

But all the rest, the shiny new car or awesome new job. The crap you took or dished out at the office today, the way you aced that test in 7th Grade... The dope you smoked or the booze you guzzled. The way you kept youreself clean and felt to proud of it all... all that stuff will pass away. It's only real value was in the small way it turned you into the person you became.

What really matters in this life is how you learn to see yourself as a part of the big picture. How you learn to love yourself and in turn pass that love to each and every human being you come into contact with. How you learn to see yourself as a child of God, in a universe of God's creation.

I guess that is how I see it.

PostPosted:  

Some more notes on the subject of eternal life:

(135.9) 12:5.10 Unspiritual animals know only the past and live in the present. Spirit-indwelt man has powers of prevision (insight); he may visualize the future. Only forward-looking and progressive attitudes are personally real. Static ethics and traditional morality are just slightly superanimal. Nor is stoicism a high order of self-realization. Ethics and morals become truly human when they are dynamic and progressive, alive with universe reality.

(139.3) 12:7.14 Even though the spirit of a Son be poured out upon all flesh, even though a Son once dwelt with you in the likeness of mortal flesh, even though the seraphim personally guard and guide you, how can any of these divine beings of the Second and Third Centers ever hope to come as near to you or to understand you as fully as the Father, who has given a part of himself to be in you, to be your real and divine, even your eternal, self?

(141.2) 12:9.1 Spirit is the basic personal reality in the universes, and personality is basic to all progressing experience with spiritual reality. Every phase of personality experience on every successive level of universe progression swarms with clues to the discovery of alluring personal realities. Man’s true destiny consists in the creation of new and spirit goals and then in responding to the cosmic allurements of such supernal goals of nonmaterial value.

(142.1) 12:9.6 Mortal man has a spirit nucleus. The mind is a personal-energy system existing around a divine spirit nucleus and functioning in a material environment. Such a living relationship of personal mind and spirit constitutes the universe potential of eternal personality. Real trouble, lasting disappointment, serious defeat, or inescapable death can come only after self-concepts presume fully to displace the governing power of the central spirit nucleus, thereby disrupting the cosmic scheme of personality identity.

(1235.4) 112:5.22 The Thought Adjuster will recall and rehearse for you only those memories and experiences which are a part of, and essential to, your universe career. If the Adjuster has been a partner in the evolution of aught in the human mind, then will these worth-while experiences survive in the eternal consciousness of the Adjuster. But much of your past life and its memories, having neither spiritual meaning nor morontia value, will perish with the material brain; much of material experience will pass away as onetime scaffolding which, having bridged you over to the morontia level, no longer serves a purpose in the universe. But personality and the relationships between personalities are never scaffolding; mortal memory of personality relationships has cosmic value and will persist. On the mansion worlds you will know and be known, and more, you will remember, and be remembered by, your onetime associates in the short but intriguing life on Urantia.

PostPosted:  

Pertti another thing to remember is that God does not hold a stop watch. Many people who are bitter in this life will awaken on the shore's of another rejuvenated with a new sense of purpose.

One of the benefits of unselfish love is that it brings with it an intoxication of extacy. There is a real thrill in the dynamic service of doing good to others. When men and women discover this plane of existance that jesus lived on they will not want it to end :).

The world may appear dark and those on it doomed, but god is patient and if the human soul is small but good he will make it great and good in time.

Thehapyandefectivepersonismotivatednotbyfearofwrongdoingbutby
loveofrightdoing