Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:41 pm +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted:  

Yoder777 wrote:
Since I started reading the Urantia Book, friends and family members have been asking me why I need the Urantia Book when we already have the Bible. My reason is that the Urantia Book sort of updates the Bible with modern science and philosophy. What would your reason be?

Sometimes we compare our mind/brain to a computer.Over the years the system becomes hard wired and calcified to what commands it is given.It will continue to function in the manner it was programed for until the program is fed new updates.
The tech. who cannot find a reason for the new update to not install properly then may go into the system board to change something .This however created a problem in that the system will not accept new data so the installation of a new device is necessary to create compatibility.The tech then begins to disconnect components until he /she reaches to source discovering everything is as it should be except there are too many "resistors" in the board that is creating the stoppage of the spiritual flow of update data.
I ,earlier this year , gave a bible teacher the UB and in a couple of weeks the UB was found laying on a shelf in the classroom of the church I occassionally visit.No hint of returning it to me .I just found it by accident.Since that day not a single question came my way about the book.
This same teacher while conducting class is many times mystified with some of the stories and meanings in the bible and frequently looks my way to give input.My input comes from the UB .Many other discussions I have had with others only to find out that no change came about and nothing developed from their burning desire to have that update we know is the UB.
I find current christianity as well as individuals spiritually lazy.They are seeking new truth but do not want to go through the pain and the burn within to cut loose their too many resistors to get the flow of current revelation to make that crucial update.
I can only conclude that if their preachers don't know then the UB is a book of deception.
It is interesting to note that the truth is out there but I think most all are looking for that truth to be revealed in a way through something other than a book.
A book seems not the glamourous way to reveal truth.It does however give each and everyone who reads it the same words on the same page it gave the previous reader.

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted:  

Commenting on Earl's post.

I think a person has to lose their religion to regain it, and for me that was a very scary proposition but, I did it anyway.

~Paul

PostPosted:  

Why was there a need for a New Testament when there already was an Old Testament. :D

PostPosted:  

'' Why was there a need for a New Testament when there already was an Old Testament. ''

Why was there a need for a new testament?

ONE POV / Point of view is that the first testament/covenant was with the Hebrews/Jews only.

The second was for everyone. The Gentiles aka All Non Jews

There's also the POV that the second in no way cancelled out the first, and that therefore Christians should not proselytize to Jews.

Hebrews 8 ; 6-7

Hebrews 8:6-7
New International Version (NIV)

6 But in fact the ministry Jesus has received is as superior to theirs as the covenant of which he is mediator is superior to the old one, since the new covenant is established on better promises.

7 For if there had been nothing wrong with that first covenant, no place would have been sought for another.

Last edited by coop on Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:47 am +0000, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted:  

coop wrote:
'' Why was there a need for a New Testament when there already was an Old Testament. ''

Why was there a need for a new testament?

ONE POV / Point of view is that the first testament/covenant was with the Hebrews/Jews only.

The second was for everyone. The Gentiles aka All Non Jews

There's also the POV that the second in no way cancelled out the first, and that therefore Christians should not proselytize to Jews.

Hebrews 8 ; 6-7

Indeed. I was mostly writing that a bit tongue-in-cheek as a response to the original post. I took on the task of reading the entire King James version of the Bible a couple of weeks ago. Being familiar with the Urantia Book really throws a lot of light on it.

-r

PostPosted:  

Hi Brother Russ 8)

Yeah man , I Did think it Was a bit tongue-in-cheek
But Still a Great Question anyways :idea:

Reading The King James Eh , Good for you
Its a tough Cookie , A Good Study Though
IF Or When You Have the time , May I Humbly Suggest
That You or others Also , Compare The Text Writeings
Of The Various Versions of The Bible , Its Interesting
To See an compare the Differences the Words make
to the Texts Meaning and Values etc ,
And IF So inclined reading several Bible Commentaries
Is also interesting to see others interpretations
and Opinions of the Texts Meanings / an Compare .
AS Well As The UB / Bible Paramony is a great tool !

Long story Short , I Was A Bible Student / Reader , did much
Personal Research / For Several years , I Have Read Several
Bible Versions And Everything I Could Find About it ,
The Various Gnostic , Apocryphas
The Book of Enoch , The Essenes , Dead Sea Scrolls Etc
Anywho , Im No Scholar , But I Found Them All to be
Fascinateing And Personaly interesting / Others may
See it as Boreing I Guess Though .

And Im Glad that I Did Read an Study The Bible
Before I Found The Urantia Book .
Because It Helped In My Reading an Study of The UB
And To See The Various Errors in The Bible and the many reasons Why .
IMO All Serious UB Students Should Read Several
Of The Various Bibles Versions .

The Bible Contains Many Various Pearls Of Wisdom
From The Psalms , Proverbs , an Jesus Parables
The Rest IS Mostly In Error of The Re Written History
Of The So Called Chosen Ones , The Jewish Tribes etc
GODs Wrath And Pauls Opinions {About} Jesus .

Scince We NOW Have The FER
The Bible And Its Errors an Myths Are Mostly
Erroneous And Irrelevant Today .

The UB Revelation Truely Sets Us Free
In Provideing The Truth
As Well as Showing Us Our Past Errors and Mistakes
In Our Thoughts and Wrong Concepts Of GOD
And Jesus .

The Religion OF Jesus Is Evolving Today
Spread The Virus OF LOVE
So That That The Fatherhood of GOD
And The Brotherhood of Mankind
Will Make The Age an Epoch Of Light an Life
A Reality on Urantia
Sooner Rather That Later

WE Each Must Do Our Part To Fulfill The Whole

Fill The Hole With LOVE . :wink:

Last edited by coop on Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:08 pm +0000, edited 5 times in total.

PostPosted:  

This Is Interesting .

Scholars seek to correct 'mistakes' in Bible

Experts say they're looking to publish the authoritative edition of the Old Testament

JERUSALEM — A dull-looking chart projected on the wall of a university office in Jerusalem displayed a revelation that would startle many readers of the Old Testament: The sacred text that people revered in the past was not the same one we study today.

An ancient version of one book has an extra phrase. Another appears to have been revised to retroactively insert a prophecy after the events happened.

Scholars in this out-of-the-way corner of the Hebrew University campus have been quietly at work for 53 years on one of the most ambitious projects attempted in biblical studies — publishing the authoritative edition of the Old Testament, also known as the Hebrew Bible, and tracking every single evolution of the text over centuries and millennia.

And it has evolved, despite deeply held beliefs to the contrary.

Click on Link to Read The Rest :arrow:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44117239/ns ... kZVTnPEXAM

Found elsewhere
Credit Thanks To Jonathan

PostPosted:  

Yoder777 wrote:
Since I started reading the Urantia Book, friends and family members have been asking me why I need the Urantia Book when we already have the Bible. My reason is that the Urantia Book sort of updates the Bible with modern science and philosophy. What would your reason be?

I wouldn't say that we need the Urantia Book; I mean, people were saved before Jesus, but Jesus made clearer the way of survival (188:4.7). We should remember Jesus' promise that he would give us the Spirit of Truth to hear his voice (as recorded in the gospel of John), and the author of John said that Jesus did many other things not recorded in his work.

To say that we only need to Bible, in my opinion, is to put a limitation of God's revelatory nature. God is surely greater than to be solely contained in one collection of books. Jesus said that his sheep follow his voice, and that I hear his voice in the UB makes the UB for me a very important document. Your friends and family members may not need the UB, but some of us get something from it, and I feel that this should be reason enough for some to use it. When I read it, I more fully appreciate the sublime nature of God's love and his vast universe.

To each their own, in the end :)

PostPosted:  

I enjoy reading the Urantia Book as a source of spiritual truth, but I don't limit it as my only source of truth. I like to keep an open mind about the contents of the Urantia Book, not willing to accept them fully or reject them completely without putting thought into it first.

PostPosted:  

The Truth-seeking person does not stop at just finding the Mountain he must climb it as well. And every experience on the way up is a new and ever changing degree of greater understanding of that truth he has found.

PostPosted:  

I stick with the UB. I'm still recovering from the effects that the largely distorted, historically and conceptually inaccurate Bible has had on my spiritual and philosophical world view. It's amazing how much influence the fetishistic Bible has had on all aspects of Western civilization.

Caino

PostPosted:  

Colter wrote:
I stick with the UB. I'm still recovering from the effects that the largely distorted, historically and conceptually inaccurate Bible has had on my spiritual and philosophical world view. It's amazing how much influence the fetishistic Bible has had on all aspects of Western civilization.

Caino

Why do you feel this way about the Bible?

PostPosted:  

Colter wrote:

Caino

I agree in that the Bible has distorted the story. However, the fundamentalist way of reading it is what has completely distorted the message. That's what has made it fetishistic. The text itself is not that bad, unless you try to explain it as Word of God, which it is not. Not even TUB is Word of God.

As TUB says, not even sacred scriptures should be used in a fetishtic way. Even TUB is just a map for us to find our sonship with God.

PostPosted:  

97:9.9 So many times did the priests, after preparing their fictitious narratives of God’s miraculous dealings with Israel, fail fully to delete the plain and matter-of-fact statements which already rested in the records.

97:8.6 New Testament authors and later Christian writers further complicated the distortion of Hebrew history by their well-meant attempts to transcendentalize the Jewish prophets. Thus has Hebrew history been disastrously exploited by both Jewish and Christian writers. Secular Hebrew history has been thoroughly dogmatized. It has been converted into a fiction of sacred history and has become inextricably bound up with the moral concepts and religious teachings of the so-called Christian nations.

97:8.7 A brief recital of the high points in Hebrew history will illustrate how the facts of the record were so altered in Babylon by the Jewish priests as to turn the everyday secular history of their people into a fictitious and sacred history.

8. SACRED AND PROFANE HISTORY

97:8.1 The custom of looking upon the record of the experiences of the Hebrews as sacred history and upon the transactions of the rest of the world as profane history is responsible for much of the confusion existing in the human mind as to the interpretation of history. And this difficulty arises because there is no secular history of the Jews. After the priests of the Babylonians exile had prepared their new record of God’s supposedly miraculous dealings with the Hebrews, the sacred history of Israel as portrayed in the Old Testament, they carefully and completely destroyed the existing records of Hebrew affairs—such books as “The Doings of the Kings of Israel” and “The Doings of the Kings of Judah," together with several other more or less accurate records of Hebrew history.

97:8.2 In order to understand how the devastating pressure and the inescapable coercion of secular history so terrorized the captive and alien-ruled Jews that they attempted the complete rewriting and recasting of their history, we should briefly survey the record of their perplexing national experience. It must be remembered that the Jews failed to evolve an adequate nontheologic philosophy of life. They struggled with their original and Egyptian concept of divine rewards for righteousness coupled with dire punishments for sin. The drama of Job was something of a protest against this erroneous philosophy. The frank pessimism of Ecclesiastes was a worldly wise reaction to these overoptimistic beliefs in Providence.

97:8.3 But five hundred years of the overlordship of alien rulers was too much for even the patient and long-suffering Jews. The prophets and priests began to cry: “How long, O Lord, how long?” As the honest Jew searched the Scriptures, his confusion became worse confounded. An olden seer promised that God would protect and deliver his “chosen people.” Amos had threatened that God would abandon Israel unless they re-established their standards of national righteousness. The scribe of Deuteronomy had portrayed the Great Choice—as between the good and the evil, the blessing and the curse. Isaiah the first had preached a beneficent king-deliverer. Jeremiah had proclaimed an era of inner righteousness—the covenant written on the tablets of the heart. The second Isaiah talked about salvation by sacrifice and redemption. Ezekiel proclaimed deliverance through the service of devotion, and Ezra promised prosperity by adherence to the law. But in spite of all this they lingered on in bondage, and deliverance was deferred. Then Daniel presented the drama of the impending “crisis"—the smiting of the great image and the immediate establishment of the everlasting reign of righteousness, the Messianic kingdom.

97:8.4 And all of this false hope led to such a degree of racial disappointment and frustration that the leaders of the Jews were so confused they failed to recognize and accept the mission and ministry of a divine Son of Paradise when he presently came to them in the likeness of mortal flesh—incarnated as the Son of Man.

97:8.5 All modern religions have seriously blundered in the attempt to put a miraculous interpretation on certain epochs of human history. While it is true that God has many times thrust a Father’s hand of providential intervention into the stream of human affairs, it is a mistake to regard theologic dogmas and religious superstition as a supernatural sedimentation appearing by miraculous action in this stream of human history. The fact that the “Most Highs rule in the kingdoms of men” does not convert secular history into so-called sacred history.

97:8.6 New Testament authors and later Christian writers further complicated the distortion of Hebrew history by their well-meant attempts to transcendentalize the Jewish prophets. Thus has Hebrew history been disastrously exploited by both Jewish and Christian writers. Secular Hebrew history has been thoroughly dogmatized. It has been converted into a fiction of sacred history and has become inextricably bound up with the moral concepts and religious teachings of the so-called Christian nations.

97:8.7 A brief recital of the high points in Hebrew history will illustrate how the facts of the record were so altered in Babylon by the Jewish priests as to turn the everyday secular history of their people into a fictitious and sacred history.

9. HEBREW HISTORY

97:9.1 There never were twelve tribes of the Israelite—only three or four tribes settled in Palestine. The Hebrew nation came into being as the result of the union of the so-called Israelites and the Canaanites. “And the children of Israel dwelt among the Canaanites. And they took their daughters to be their wives and gave their daughters to the sons of the Canaanites.” The Hebrews never drove the Canaanites out of Palestine, notwithstanding that the priests’ record of these things unhesitatingly declared that they did.

97:9.2 The Israelitish consciousness took origin in the hill country of Ephraim; the later Jewish consciousness originated in the southern clan of Judah. The Jews (Judahites) always sought to defame and blacken the record of the northern Israelite (Ephraimites).

97:9.3 Pretentious Hebrew history begins with Saul’s rallying the northern clans to withstand an attack by the Ammonites upon their fellow tribesmen—the Gileadites—east of the Jordan. With an army of a little more than three thousand he defeated the enemy, and it was this exploit that led the hill tribes to make him king. When the exiled priests rewrote this story, they raised Saul’s army to 330,000 and added "Judah" to the list of tribes participating in the battle.

97:9.4 Immediately following the defeat of the Ammonites, Saul was made king by popular election by his troops. No priest or prophet participated in this affair. But the priests later on put it in the record that Saul was crowned king by the prophet Samuel in accordance with divine directions. This they did in order to establish a “divine line of descent” for David’s Judahite kingship.

97:9.5 The greatest of all distortions of Jewish history had to do with David. After Saul’s victory over the Ammonites (which he ascribed to Yahweh) the Philistines became alarmed and began attacks on the northern clans. David and Saul never could agree. David with six hundred men entered into a Philistine alliance and marched up the coast to Esdraelon. At Gath the Philistines ordered David off the field; they feared he might go over to Saul. David retired; the Philistines attacked and defeated Saul. They could not have done this had David been loyal to Israel. David’s army was a polyglot assortment of malcontents, being for the most part made up of social misfits and fugitives from justice.

97:9.6 Saul’s tragic defeat at Gilboa by the Philistines brought Yahweh to a low point among the gods in the eyes of the surrounding Canaanites. Ordinarily, Saul’s defeat would have been ascribed to apostasy from Yahweh, but this time the Judahite editors attributed it to ritual errors. They required the tradition of Saul and Samuel as a background for the kingship of David.

97:9.7 David with his small army made his headquarters at the non-Hebrew city of Hebron. Presently his compatriots proclaimed him king of the new kingdom of Judah. Judah was made up mostly of non-Hebrew elements—Kenites, Calebites, Jebusites, and other Canaanites. They were nomads—herders—and so were devoted to the Hebrew idea of land ownership. They held the ideologies of the desert clans.

97:9.8 The difference between sacred and profane history is well illustrated by the two differing stories concerning making David king as they are found in the Old Testament. A part of the secular story of how his immediate followers (his army) made him king was inadvertently left in the record by the priests who subsequently prepared the lengthy and prosaic account of the sacred history wherein is depicted how the prophet Samuel, by divine direction, selected David from among his brethren and proceeded formally and by elaborate and solemn ceremonies to anoint him king over the Hebrews and then to proclaim him Saul’s successor.

97:9.9 So many times did the priests, after preparing their fictitious narratives of God’s miraculous dealings with Israel, fail fully to delete the plain and matter-of-fact statements which already rested in the records.

97:9.10 David sought to build himself up politically by first marrying Saul’s daughter, then the widow of Nabal the rich Edomite, and then the daughter of Talmai, the king of Geshur. He took six wives from the women of Jebus, not to mention Bathsheba, the wife of the Hittite.

97:9.11 And it was by such methods and out of such people that David built up the fiction of a divine kingdom of Judah as the successor of the heritage and traditions of the vanishing northern kingdom of Ephraimite Israel. David’s cosmopolitan tribe of Judah was more gentile than Jewish; nevertheless the oppressed elders of Ephraim came down and “anointed him king of Israel.” After a military threat, David then made a compact with the Jebusites and established his capital of the united kingdom at Jebus (Jerusalem), which was a strong-walled city midway between Judah and Israel. The Philistines were aroused and soon attacked David. After a fierce battle they were defeated, and once more Yahweh was established as “The Lord God of Hosts.”

97:9.12 But Yahweh must, perforce, share some of this glory with the Canaanite gods, for the bulk of David’s army was non-Hebrew. And so there appears in your record (overlooked by the Judahite editors) this telltale statement: “Yahweh has broken my enemies before me. Therefore he called the name of the place Baal-Perazim.” And they did this because eighty per cent of David’s soldiers were Baalites.

97:9.13 David explained Saul’s defeat at Gilboa by pointing out that Saul had attacked a Canaanite city, Gibeon, whose people had a peace treaty with the Ephraimites. Because of this, Yahweh forsook him. Even in Saul’s time David had defended the Canaanite city of Keilah against the Philistines, and then he located his capital in a Canaanite city. In keeping with the policy of compromise with the Canaanites, David turned seven of Saul’s descendants over to the Gibeonites to be hanged.

97:9.14 After the defeat of the Philistines, David gained possession of the “ark of Yahweh," brought it to Jerusalem, and made the worship of Yahweh official for his kingdom. He next laid heavy tribute on the neighboring tribes—the Edomites, Moabites, Ammonites, and Syrians.

97:9.15 David’s corrupt political machine began to get personal possession of land in the north in violation of the Hebrew mores and presently gained control of the caravan tariffs formerly collected by the Philistines. And then came a series of atrocities climaxed by the murder of Uriah. All judicial appeals were adjudicated at Jerusalem; no longer could “the elders” mete out justice. No wonder rebellion broke out. Today, Absalom might be called a demagogue; his mother was a Canaanite. There were a half dozen contenders for the throne besides the son of Bathsheba—Solomon.

97:9.16 After David’s death Solomon purged the political machine of all northern influences but continued all of the tyranny and taxation of his father’s regime. Solomon bankrupted the nation by his lavish court and by his elaborate building program: There was the house of Lebanon, the palace of Pharaoh’s daughter, the temple of Yahweh, the king’s palace, and the restoration of the walls of many cities. Solomon created a vast Hebrew navy, operated by Syrian sailors and trading with all the world. His harem numbered almost one thousand.

97:9.17 By this time Yahweh’s temple at Shiloh was discredited, and all the worship of the nation was centered at Jebus in the gorgeous royal chapel. The northern kingdom returned more to the worship of Elohim. They enjoyed the favor of the Pharaohs, who later enslaved Judah, putting the southern kingdom under tribute.

97:9.18 There were ups and downs—wars between Israel and Judah. After four years of civil war and three dynasties, Israel fell under the rule of city despots who began to trade in land. Even King Omri attempted to buy Shemer’s estate. But the end drew on apace when Shalmaneser III decided to control the Mediterranean coast. King Ahab of Ephraim gathered ten other groups and resisted at Karkar; the battle was a draw. The Assyrian was stopped but the allies were decimated. This great fight is not even mentioned in the Old Testament.

97:9.19 New trouble started when King Ahab tried to buy land from Naboth. His Phoenician wife forged Ahab’s name to papers directing that Naboth’s land be confiscated on the charge that he had blasphemed the names of “Elohim and the king.” He and his sons were promptly executed. The vigorous Elijah appeared on the scene denouncing Ahab for the murder of the Naboths. Thus Elijah, one of the greatest of the prophets, began his teaching as a defender of the old land mores as against the land-selling attitude of the Baalim, against the attempt of the cities to dominate the country. But the reform did not succeed until the country landlord Jehu joined forces with the gypsy chieftain Jehonadab to destroy the prophets (real estate agents) of Baal at Samaria.

97:9.20 New life appeared as Jehoash and his son Jeroboam delivered Israel from its enemies. But by this time there ruled in Samaria a gangster-nobility whose depredations rivaled those of the Davidic dynasty of olden days. State and church went along hand in hand. The attempt to suppress freedom of speech led Elijah, Amos, and Hosea to begin their secret writing, and this was the real beginning of the Jewish and Christian Bibles.

PostPosted:  

In the end, one can only believe what one finds believable. The short answer to the question "Why not just believe the Bible?" is simply that many people don't find the Bible believable--or at least they don't find important parts of it believable. For these people, believing the Bible isn't an option. There is no on/off switch to what one finds believable or unbelievable.

The very same thing applies to the UB, incidentally. Some find it more believable than others.