Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:59 am +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Positivism
PostPosted:  

Positivism seem's to be gaining huge ground in our world. (IMO) this philosophical method clearly state's that it is impossible for humans to -Recognize-. This stands in stark contrast to the U.B that say's that mans mind can "Discover, recognize, interpret and choose".

Infact u.b goes on to explain ALOT that man can recognize. Where do ya'll see this positivism in relation to the 5th epochal revelation. I see it as the 2nd mind adjutant Quick understanding. I see that they are replacing the word "recognition" with the Quick reasoning.

Thehapyandefectivepersonismotivatednotbyfearofwrongdoingbutby
loveofrightdoing

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject: Re: Positivism
PostPosted:  

boomshuka wrote:
Positivism seem's to be gaining huge ground in our world. (IMO) this philosophical method clearly state's that it is impossible for humans to -Recognize-. This stands in stark contrast to the U.B that say's that mans mind can "Discover, recognize, interpret and choose".

Ummmmm.... that just sounds weird. What is this "Positivism" anyway? Sounds to me like negativism. In what sense are they using the word "recognize?"

PostPosted:  

I'm with Amy...I went and looked it up, and I still don't really get it.

Boom, can you interpret clearly what positivism is for us? Is it another way of saying that science and religion are opposites?

Thanks,

MaryJo

PostPosted:  

boomshuka wrote:
Positivism seem's to be gaining huge ground in our world.

Actually that is not the case with the scientists. They have learned that positivism does not work in social sciences.

Originally the main postulate of positivism was to say that the same empirical methods as employed by e.g. physics could and should be applied to e.g. social sciencies. This is akin to reductionism, which states (simplified) that human socialization is based (solely) on biology, which is based on chemistry, which is based on physics. Thus, there are no (real) sciences except for the physics. To me this sounds very much like a conspiracy by physicists. :)

However, this is easy to contradict with just one example: the computer you are using to read this text. All the operations of that computer are based on electronics. There are no miracles happening in it - only what is allowed by the laws of electronics is possible, nothing else. Yet, by learning everything in electronics that is known to the humankind will not give you the answer to the question: "How can I close a window on the screen?"

Thus, every level of activity has its own rules and they cannot be concluded by looking at the rules on the constituent levels. In fact, TUB says the same thing with slightly different words:

(141.3) 12:9.2 Love is the secret of beneficial association between personalities. You cannot really know a person as the result of a single contact. You cannot appreciatingly know music through mathematical deduction, even though music is a form of mathematical rhythm. The number assigned to a telephone subscriber does not in any manner identify the personality of that subscriber or signify anything concerning his character.

(141.4) 12:9.3 Mathematics, material science, is indispensable to the intelligent discussion of the material aspects of the universe, but such knowledge is not necessarily a part of the higher realization of truth or of the personal appreciation of spiritual realities. Not only in the realms of life but even in the world of physical energy, the sum of two or more things is very often something more than, or something different from, the predictable additive consequences of such unions. The entire science of mathematics, the whole domain of philosophy, the highest physics or chemistry, could not predict or know that the union of two gaseous hydrogen atoms with one gaseous oxygen atom would result in a new and qualitatively superadditive substance — liquid water. The understanding knowledge of this one physiochemical phenomenon should have prevented the development of materialistic philosophy and mechanistic cosmology.

(141.5) 12:9.4 Technical analysis does not reveal what a person or a thing can do. For example: Water is used effectively to extinguish fire. That water will put out fire is a fact of everyday experience, but no analysis of water could ever be made to disclose such a property. Analysis determines that water is composed of hydrogen and oxygen; a further study of these elements discloses that oxygen is the real supporter of combustion and that hydrogen will itself freely burn.

PostPosted:  

Also known as "logical positivism", it was a philosophical movement of the early through
mid 20th century. Essentially based on the idea of analysis of the meanings of sentences.
The example I learned many years ago involved a person who woke up to see an angel
standing at the foot of the bed. This event can be described with two sentences, which
at first glance seem in diametric opposition: #1 The angel was "really" there. #2 The
angel was a hallucination. Positivism tells us that since there is no way by observation
or experiment to determine if one or the other is true, the sentences have the same
meaning.
Positivism distinguishes between questions which can be can be formatted to produce
verifiable answers, and questions which cannot be so formatted.